• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also for getting rid of the practice, but I'd only want to do it if DST became the standard time. Super early darkness and is what makes winter so miserable (far more than the cold and snow).

I love in the peak of summer when it's 9pm and still in twilight. If the sun set at 5 instead of 4 in the winter time, I would genuinely be notably happier. I believe that.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Awww yeeee. Extra hour!! I'll need it after my first week as a fulltime employee with a 3-to-3.5-hour daily commute

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Oh great, it's 5 PM and night time.

Who does this benefit? Vampires?

It is ending. We're going back to shitty standard time. Should just stick to daylight time year round.

My peeps!

In all seriousness, a lot of studies have been done showing increased depression in individuals during the hour loss due to reduced day light. SAD (seasonal affective disorder) is no laughing matter for some.

I agree with the majority here that this is an archaic practice that serves no purpose now, and actually has more negative effects than positive and should be removed. Wishful thinking that'll happen some day!

Why can't we just have 2 more hours of daytime in the afternoon all year round. I hate DST =C

Nothing like getting darker earlier making winter more depressing.

I hate it. It gets dark at like 5:30pm or so here in winter. Who is this helping?? Not me.

Some fucking sense, thank god.

Everyone in this thread who is relishing extra darkness is the reason we can't have nice things.

4PM SUNSETS ARE INHUMANE.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
If the good times were always there, we wouldn't appreciate them. Early darkness helps you appreciate the late light, and vice versa. At least in my case.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Hated it especially when I worked night shift. Screws you over bigtime.
I hope this ends someday soon. This should be an election issue.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
If the good times were always there, we wouldn't appreciate them. Early darkness helps you appreciate the late light, and vice versa. At least in my case.

Agree to disagree.

My peeps!

In all seriousness, a lot of studies have been done showing increased depression in individuals during the hour loss due to reduced day light. SAD (seasonal affective disorder) is no laughing matter for some.

I agree with the majority here that this is an archaic practice that serves no purpose now, and actually has more negative effects than positive and should be removed. Wishful thinking that'll happen some day!

I already quoted this in my previous more flippant post, but it wanted to treat it with a little more seriousness for a second.

I've realized that every long episode of major depression I've suffered started in late fall, after daylight savings time ends. I have so many active memories of how (since childhood) the encroach of extremely early darkness makes me feel suffocated and hopeless.

It's never the cause of my depression but it certainly contributes to it.

(In more ways than a sun lamp could help.)

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If we didn't have daylight savings time we would forget how to set our clocks.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Wait!!? It's really only 12:19ish. Kissed the wife goodnight and said I'd be jamming to music for the next 3 hours. Does that really mean only 2?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
But surely you shouldn't be asking 'why do the clocks go back an hour' - it's 'why do they go forward an hour in the spring'. Standard time is the ....standard..time. It's daylight savings (British summer time in the UK) which is the 'wrong' one. And tbh in the spring/summer there is enough light during normal hours that you could easily leave it on standard time. In autumn/winter there isn't enough light to avoid a dark morning or evening so just leave it alone.

spuck

Oct 28, 2017
London
As most have said, changing the clocks is dumb in this day and age. We need it to stay DST forever and make it the new standard time.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like a thing not worth whining about.

Btw, I also like it. Going back an hour at least. I like the change.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Having to walk dogs early in the morning, this is actually pretty helpful since it isn't total darkness at 7am. Its more about the benefit of there being light when you wake up, rather than light when you're done with work.

NeoGold123

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Worked the overnight last night and my morning relief is late. I'm fully expecting the "forgot to set my clock" excuse even though this isn't the right change...

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
MJB5SEL.png

It begins.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Got to sleep in but still plenty of time to get work done today. I'm liking this clock change so far.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Totally agree op we should move clocks forward in the winter to get more daylight in the evenings in the winter. No one cares if it's dark in the morning and we already get daylight till 9pm in the summer.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
It freaks you out when your smart devices automatically change and you don't even think about it, then you see a random clock somewhere in your house or car that didn't automatically change and you instantly think you're late for something.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
I wish it was the other way around. In summer, I would like it to be dark at 5PM. Why? Because I live in New Orleans and it's 90 degrees in the summer in daylight. It's horrible. Now in the late Fall/Winter when it's comfortable temperature, I would like the daylight to be longer.

So both of the time switches are equally terrible for me.