• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Akoi

Oct 25, 2017
WA
I'd propose that we should stay on dailylight savings time and screw standard time..

Oct 27, 2017
I propose you should never have to wake up before sunrise, and should be home from work before sunset.

If that means the workday in the winter is 9am - 2pm then so be it.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
I like living in darkness for the rest of my afternoon. This ain't Dragons Dogma, everythings gon be alright.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the switch itself, it's just the fact that not everyone does it that makes things super difficult. If everyone around the world were to do it at the same time, which I know would defeat the purpose of it for almost half the world, then at least the time zones would be more normal. I work a lot with people in Arizona, which means that next week I'll have to remember that they'll now be 2 hours behind instead of the usual 1.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
We do it so when you're up all night binge watching Stranger Things 2, and you think it's time for bed but you realized you got another free hour to roll a blunt and watch another episode.

And then you hit the bed like:

zlMVS0y.gif

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I love when the clocks roll back, it's when they roll forward I get annoyed. I agree that this shouldn't even be a thing anymore and should be eradicated from existence.

Oct 25, 2017
For everyone saying we should just stay on DSL, you realize standard time is "standard" for a reason, right?

What you should be arguing for is schedules that better fit the available daylight.

And living right near the line of another time zone makes it even worse. When I lived in Chicago, it would look like dusk at 2PM and be full black night by 4:30 by late December. Going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark does start to feel a bit oppressive after a while.
That's the price of living so far from the equator.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
We have this so that the sun rises before 8:00am. Right now sun rise is 7:53am, just imagine when it's the Winter solstice. Yugh. That and farmers are dormant so they don't really need the evening sun like they do in the summer time.

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
DST is an unholy abomination. Chronos himself will strike mankind down for its arrogance.

I also miss living in Arizona.

JdFox17

Oct 26, 2017
I always preferred it getting dark earlier in the day. By September, I'm sitting on my back porch with a beer in my hand, yelling at the sun because it's still too damn bright at 7 p.m. End daylight savings time and let's just use standard time.

OP
OP
BarryAllen

BarryAllen

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of us don't sit inside posting on Era all day and enjoy sun light and going to rooftop parties and stuff

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Hella depressing in Chicago as that's when the cold hits as well. Nothing like having a tough day at work and having to travel back home in the night and cold.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
My state (MA) is apparently voting today or something whether or not to declare it it's own time zone (1 hour ahead of EST) so it won't have to change the clocks back an hour. Just to add more confusion to it.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
10PM Sunset. Where is this??? I need it.
It's kind of like that in Edinburgh. It's often still pretty light after 10pm during the height of summer, of course assuming that it's actually a sunny day which happens less and less each year it feels like.

When I'm staying up to watch Sony's E3 conferences it's not unusual for it to only get fully dark around 11:30pm before eventually lighting up again at around 3am. It's really remarkable to be honest. Of course on the flip side during the middle of winter you only get what feels like 4 hours of daylight so...

I'm all for killing off DST.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
My state [in mexico] doesn't do it, and if i understand the reasoning right, Arizona doesn't either, right?

It's just bad for business.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Used to be the sun would go down around 7:30 pm here. Now it's dark at 4. I never remember how this affects it, but in a few months it should feel okay.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
My state [in mexico] doesn't do it, and if i understand the reasoning right, Arizona doesn't either, right?

It's just bad for business.

AZ here. There's really no point in us having DST. We're south enough where sunset times change by maybe 2.5 hours from summer to winter. Also during the summer you don't want to go outside until the sun is down anyway.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
AZ here. There's really no point in us having DST. We're south enough where sunset times change by maybe 2.5 hours from summer to winter. Also during the summer you don't want to go outside until the sun is down anyway.

Yeah, in AZ the only difference being winter and summer is that in summer the sun sets about 7:30 to 8 and in the winter it's closer to 5 or 6.

It really threw me for a loop when I went visit family in Iowa and the sun was setting closer to 9PM. It blew my mind that sun would set that late anywhere. I was so used to living in a place where the sun was pretty consistent.

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really makes no sense at all. We got our normal time back some days ago already, but it is just incomprehensible that we have back to the unnatural summer time next year again. WHY? It really messes with our bio rhythms.

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't get why we still do this either but I for one am going to use this hour to try and get a before work, workout regimen in place rather than sleeping in. Wish me luck.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of the few times I get to be proud of my native state - Arizona.

We don't partake in these time warping shenanigans.

Nox Potens

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Daylight savings is terrible. So much stress and waste over something that helps no one at all. Why can't we just get rid of this nonsense?

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
My state (MA) is apparently voting today or something whether or not to declare it it's own time zone (1 hour ahead of EST) so it won't have to change the clocks back an hour. Just to add more confusion to it.
I'd prefer that. Essentially having DST all year. I think the main argument for switching back in the fall is kids traveling to school in the dark is dangerous.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer that. Essentially having DST all year. I think the main argument for switching back in the fall is kids traveling to school in the dark is dangerous.

Having read more into it seems the vote was passed in MA but they won't do anything unless they can get all of New England to agree to it as well. It seems the vote was to switch MA's time zone from Eastern Standard Time to Atlantic Standard Time permanently all year so eliminating both the fall and spring clock changes.