• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Are you really going to pass up a game because it's not on the store you want?
I would pass on a game that's exclusive to a store that I'm strongly against supporting; I would buy the game from Origin, GOG, Itch, even Uplay, as well as the obvious, Steam. I have played the Xbox One version so it's not something I would be missing out on, but even if I hadn't played it there I would still be against getting the game through the Windows Store.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You only have to see how many gaming news sites ran stories saying the game was "900p and 30FPS" to see how the title was dunked on, well before its release. These often weren't just a "this is the resolution". They were reporting how "disappointing" it was....That is before you even look on gaming forums to see how big an issue this was made into.

Reporting technical concerns is not the same as "dunking" on a game. It's no different than how there are now games that are native 4k on the One X and checkboard on the Pro (or less).

I'm not going to lie and pretend that there wasn't a subsection of the community that used such completely arbitrary specs to disregard the game, but that is not the same as "dunking" or "hating" on the game. People who played the game enjoyed it and it reviewed well. That is what was important and everything else should be rightly be classed as a persecution complex.

If anything, it's an indictment of the Xbox community that such things were such a problem. The game is 900p? so? is the correct response.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You only have to see how many gaming news sites ran stories saying the game was "900p and 30FPS" to see how the title was dunked on, well before its release. These often weren't just a "this is the resolution". They were reporting how "disappointing" it was....That is before you even look on gaming forums to see how big an issue this was made into.

I would have bought this if it wasn't that Titanfall with its 792p resolution was the best selling exclusive that year. Plus in that period XB1 was kicking PS4 ass in sales (At least in US and UK).

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
The same happened with Ubisoft and ZombieU, that's why i think Nintendo didn't fund that game completely. It makes no sense to pay all the sum of money to develop a game and allow it to release it on your competitor's platform after some years.
So yeah, don't expect Sunset Overdrive (the game from xbox) on Playstation or Nintendo.

Insomniac owns the IP and is the sole copyright claimant of the game itself, so presumably Microsoft didn't fund the whole project. I don't mean to imply the game will definitely appear on the PS4/5 and Switch/Nextendo, though; obviously more thought goes into a decision to belatedly port a game than "Because we can."

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
https://wccftech.com/sunset-overdrive-pc-insomniac/amp/

According to Insomniac games bringing the game to PC was always going to be up to MS so If this is true then it means MS and Insomniac have finally reached an agreement and hopefully this could mean we finally getting x enhancements and even a probable sequel....while at it Ryse 2 would be great too. Do it MS.
Let it go.

Creative director of Sunset Overdrive, Drew Murrey, left Insomniac Games, in 2015.

There won't be a sequel without him.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I would have bought this if it wasn't that Titanfall with its 792p resolution was the best selling exclusive that year. Plus in that period XB1 was kicking PS4 ass in sales (At least in US and UK).

I'm not saying that is why the game didn't sell well. Just that there was considerable negativity around the Xbox at the time and every single game that released for it, surely suffered due to this in some way.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
If I can change the music and play in 60fps then this might be one of the best games of the generation. It really needs those two fixes.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
This game would look/run amazing on PC. Looking forward to the screeshot thread on this one :)

Nov 2, 2017
Den Haag, Netherlands
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

I'll play it again. So much fun.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Reporting technical concerns is not the same as "dunking" on a game. It's no different than how there are now games that are native 4k on the One X and checkboard on the Pro (or less).

I'm not going to lie and pretend that there wasn't a subsection of the community that used such completely arbitrary specs to disregard the game, but that is not the same as "dunking" or "hating" on the game. People who played the game enjoyed it and it reviewed well. That is what was important and everything else should be rightly be classed as a persecution complex.

If anything, it's an indictment of the Xbox community that such things were such a problem. The game is 900p? so? is the correct response.

Google any game now and you see little about resolution, since the X suddenly it doesn't matter. Google sunset overdrive 900p and its literally everywhere. And when you read forums such as the predecessor to this one, there are huge threads about SO purely discussing its resolution months before the game is out. And it was the topic of conversation. Post after post saying "wow an exclusive game at 900p. What trash". I'm not talking a minority here and it is all saved for posterity. To suggest otherwise is significantly trying to re-write history.

I'm not saying that had a huge impact on the game's sales, but it is hard to quantify.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
But you ARE supporting this store by spending your money in it? I may be wrong, but I'd think the only way to force Microsoft to listen to the wishes and needs of PC gamers is to vote with your wallet als long as they don't. If PC gamers wouldn't have voted with their wallets when Microsoft tried to push Xbox Live Gold on PC, we would be paying for online gaming on PC as well now.

I agree with one caveat. I prefer people buying Microsoft games on PC than buying them on Xbox. The Windows Store has a lot of issues and it's a garden with high walls but it's still better than a console openness-wise, just on the basis that it's a service on an open(ish) platform. So while I personally don't buy anything from the Windows Store I am glad that these games are available on PC for those who want to play them on their favorite platform.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac owns the IP and is the sole copyright claimant of the game itself, so presumably Microsoft didn't fund the whole project. That doesn't necessarily mean the game will definitely appear on the PS4/5 and Switch/Nextendo, though; obviously more thought goes into a decision to belatedly port a game than "Because we can."
I think one of the developers addressed this. To me it sounded like MS funded the entire project, but they were kind enough to allow them to keep the IP. Something Sony wasn't willing to do. IDK, I'm fine with it staying on Xbox and PC because the game probably wouldn't have happened without Microsoft.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

This is the only game that I have ever wanted to paly again after selling my Xbone. Maybe MCC a bit too, but Sunset Overdrive first and foremost.

Jan 2, 2018
It would probably be a similar situation to Ryse and Quantom Break- both got a Steam release sometime after the console release,but remained exclusive in the consoles space.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Never say Never. I've seen miracles happen in this industry and besides Drew wasn't the only one who worked on the game.
I just think Spider-Man is going to be their main focus for a while. Doubt there will be any Ratchet & Clanks and Sunset Overdrives in-between.

If Spider-Man becomes that behemoth success they are going to end up like Rockstar Games and focus on one title that prints most money. As for Rockstar who is bigger will only focus on RDR and GTA because game development has grown.

Maybe after that Spider-Man trilogy or series they will consider new projects.

Deleted member 25108

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Google any game now and you see little about resolution, since the X suddenly it doesn't matter. Google sunset overdrive 900p and its literally everywhere. And when you read forums such as the predecessor to this one, there are huge threads about SO purely discussing its resolution months before the game is out. And it was the topic of conversation. Post after post saying "wow an exclusive game at 900p. What trash". I'm not talking a minority here and it is all saved for posterity. To suggest otherwise is significantly trying to re-write history.

I'm not saying that had a huge impact on the game's sales, but it is hard to quantify.

This is really a persecution complex. When even rereleases of BC titles are being lauded by the improvements that the Xb1x bring, I really can't take your comments seriously.

I think you need to Google the exact same things you posted. Its clearly a case of what you focus on shaping your opinion.

Oct 28, 2017
So beautiful.

tumblr_n73a8xFd8R1r8lde5o2_400.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

2526295-5599235941-LU8g4.gif

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I've been playing this on Game Pass on the Xbox One.... by exclusively streaming it to PC, hah.

I didn't know much about this game beforehand, sucks to hear there's a big chance there won't be a sequel.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is really a persecution complex. When even rereleases of BC titles are being lauded by the improvements that the Xb1x bring, I really can't take your comments seriously.

I think you need to Google the exact same things you posted. Its clearly a case of what you focus on shaping your opinion.

I'm a little confused here, maybe I'm not understanding properly. are you saying he is not talking sense? I personally witnessed the crap that Sunset Overdrive got for being 900p. It was all over the internet and the older stomping grounds. The game got ripped apart and was not given a chance due to it not being 1080p. Which is a huge loss for any gamer with a braincell. The game is brilliant.

Releasing an X patch and definitive version of Sunset on PC needs to happen. I still feel that it's one of the most "next-gen" single player games released on this set of consoles. I really hope MS is willing to revisit the IP.

If Sunset does indeed get an X patch it will be one of the first games that I replay this gen.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I just think Spider-Man is going to be their main focus for a while. Doubt there will be any Ratchet & Clanks and Sunset Overdrives in-between.

If Spider-Man becomes that behemoth success they are going to end up like Rockstar Games and focus on one title that prints most money. As for Rockstar who is bigger will only focus on RDR and GTA because game development has grown.

Maybe after that Spider-Man trilogy or series they will consider new projects.
Just a few months ago they said they were ready to make a sequel if they got a publisher. I guess if given the resources they would find a way to work on both games and besides they own the SO IP they wouldn't want it to rot.
https://mobile.twitter.com/insomniacgames/status/922626922131087360

Status
Not open for further replies.