• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Just curious as to what sort of crossover there is between fans of Sunset Overdrive on Xbox One and fans of Spider-Man on PlayStation 4. For people who've played both games, please share your thoughts on each. Sunset Overdrive is still my favorite game of the current console generation, mostly because of the variety of traversal options. I almost look at it as an evolution of the Jet Set Radio games in that sense. I haven't played Spider-Man yet (since I don't own a PlayStation 4), and I've been been hearing great things about the traversal in Spider-Man, but nothing I've seen has really grabbed me. I guess I'd also just like to know how much the two games have in common in terms of the overall experience.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
it's a ton of fun traversing the city in both but crucially you start off with the air dash in Spider-Man!

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
You can definitely see the traversal evolutuon between the two. Sunset still has one of my favorite styles of the generation, but Spider-Man is still damn good.

Can't wait to see them take it further in the eventual Sunset 2

TailorDKS

Apr 18, 2018
Probably every sales bot right now:
If you liked Sunset Overdrive you will probably like Spider-Man too. Buy it now.

And people who bought Spider-Man also bought Sunset Overdrive.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
spider-man has more in common with batman arkham games then it does SO.

i never really liked SO. i found it's humour and writing really bad and it took far too long for things to get going. the gameplay loop just wasn't very satisfying either. in that sense spiderman is a lot better, but i'd probably be asking yourself if you enjoyed the batman arkham games. if you liked that you'll like spiderman.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

i never really liked SO. i found it's humour and writing really bad and it took far too long for things to get going. the gameplay loop just wasn't very satisfying either. in that sense spiderman is a lot better, but i'd probably be asking yourself if you enjoyed the batman arkham games. if you liked that you'll like spiderman.
Kind of, but I honestly like spiderman more than arkham city, if comparing to the closest one as being an open world.

Bartend3r

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I don't know what people see in Sunset Overdrive. The game felt so bland to me that I dropped after like 3 or 4 hours. Never came back.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I guess I'd also just like to know how much the two games have in common in terms of the overall experience.

I'd like to know that as well. I heard that traversal in Spider-Man is well done, but pretty simple and even effortless to pull off. What I liked about traversal in Sunset Overdrive was the fact that keeping the long chains going required a good amount of skill, even if the basic movement was simple. Another thing that I observed from the videos is that traversal and fighting are two mostly separate activities, whereas in Sunset Overdrive you're incentivized to keep moving at all times, even during combat (and of course, combat itself is fundamentally different, with mostly brawling in one game, and mostly shooting in the other). I'd really like to see some deeper analysis of that.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dude
If you like SO, you will love Spiderman!!! You actually feel you have less restrictions than in SO. Total freedom to an extend.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you have seen the footage and it does nothing for you then why bother? Trust your eyes, not someone else's opinion.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Sunset Overdrive was fantastic once you started getting into the meat of it.

It's a tragedy we'll probably never seen another one.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I just got an Xbox One & thanks to this post, just downloaded Sunset Overdrive via Game Pass. Can't wait to finally play it. I loved Spider-Man so can't wait to see how it Sunset inspired it.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm curious where all these sunset fans came from when reviews, and sales said otherwise.
Somehow I get the feeling that even if all of Era had bought SO, it would not have made a significant difference to its commercial success.

I've been thinking a lot about SO the last few days, actually, purely because both it and Spider-Man have done more than any other open world game this gen at making traversal a fun activity itself. Absolutely there are similarities in their design approaches.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
What I liked about traversal in Sunset Overdrive was the fact that keeping the long chains going required a good amount of skill, even if the basic movement was simple. Another thing that I observed from the videos is that traversal and fighting are two mostly separate activities, whereas in Sunset Overdrive you're incentivized to keep moving at all times, even during combat (and of course, combat itself is fundamentally different, with mostly brawling in one game, and mostly shooting in the other). I'd really like to see some deeper analysis of that.

Although I haven't played Spider-man yet (i'm gonna soon), this seems to be a big difference between the two games. I know it's easy to compare two open world super power games from the same studio but they really seem very different in the ways they play. As others have said, Spider-man is an Arkham-like. Sunset Overdrive is more Tony Hawks/Jet Set Radio with shooting. You need to combo traversal and always keep moving and never touch the ground or you're penalised. All the while shooting with guns/stupid rocket launchers. I feel like it was closer to Ratchet and Clank than it was Spider-man. Not really a touch of Arkham combat in it. Likewise Spider-man has a much grander scale in terms of traversal and travelling across the city.

Last edited:

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
If you liked Sunset Overdrive you will probably like Spider-Man too. Buy it now.

Absolutely, but also accurate. You can tell Spiderman exists because of Sunset Overdrive. Having put a ton of time into both, you can see the similarities immediately, especially in regards to the traversal and gadgets (replacing weapons).

Spiderman has satisfied my need for a Sunset sequel, for now.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly I don't know what people see in Sunset Overdrive. The game felt so bland to me that I dropped after like 3 or 4 hours. Never came back.

it was stylistically beautiful. loved the look of it. but yeah, the gameplay was just *snore*

i think they've learned a lot about giving player at least some good base level abilities at the start so that's it's fun in the beginning and becomes even MORE fun later due to upgrades...spiderman does this well.

SO on the other hand wasn't fun at all at the start and only just becomes fun in the last third. as people have said already in this thread, just having dash as a base level ability would have helped the game a lot. maybe not fixed it entirely, but helped at least.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Sunset Overdrive was bland to be honest. I wouldn't say I really enjoyed it. Although the traversal was indeed good. Spider-Man feels like Arkham-lite in many ways, and is more enjoyable as a result.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Me neither
Without ever touching Spiderman i can 100% say the writing on it is better simply because its virtually impossible to have worse writing than SO. And no, "pick the female protagonist" doesn't help.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Yeah I'm curious where all these sunset fans came from when reviews, and sales said otherwise.

I've always been here.

I bought six copies.

Why is it so surprising that a part of the enthusiast gaming audience who own Xbox Ones just so happened to buy Sunset Overdrive?

Why are you framing the support of a niche/cult hit title like SSOD as a bad thing? You gonna do the same shit for people who speak highly of Prey? The Evil Within 2? OnRush?

Like why do you care so much???? Why frame your narrative regarding the reviews of Sunset Overdrive go against the vocal fan support of this game when the reviews aren't bad at all?? Why do you care so much?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Does it count as port begging when Microsoft became cool with releasing their games on PC before Sunset was released?

Sorry if it does, though. Editing my post rn.

Nah, I was just pulling your leg using the Mattrick meme. I wish it got a PC port/X Enhanced version. I didn't quite fall in love with the game like some did but it had an absolutely gorgeous art style/look. I'd love to see it at high resolutions/framerates.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
If you like SO, you like Superman, that's like guaranteed, but I guess I like wackiness of SO more, but both games are superb in my opinion, cannot say which I like more.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
They are nothing alike. If they were different developers then they would not be compared at all. If you are expecting traversal to be like sunset then you will be disappointed. Sunset's traversal required a decent amount of skill if you wanted to get good and build a combo. Spiderman is not like that. The traversal in spiderman does not require the skill you need in sunset.

I really do not see these comparison at all. Combat is like DMC and traversal is like sunset overdrive. This place needs to chill on this spiderman game. The combat is like arkham and the traversal is similar to other spiderman games.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Can't wait to actually play Spider-Man this week to really dive in. Sunset Overdrive is my game of the generation and while I don't feel that Spider-Man will surpass it, it should be right on par with it. It helps that I love me some Spidey to start with.

Me neither
Without ever touching Spiderman i can 100% say the writing on it is better simply because its virtually impossible to have worse writing than SO. And no, "pick the female protagonist" doesn't help.

The writing isnt the focal point of the game, its the mechanics. who cares about the writing in SO, it serves as exposition that justifies the crazy shit thats going on. The storytelling is bogshit basic and the dialogue drags on, yeah sure whogivesashit

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Huh? I'm no SO lover but.. the reviews were really good? It's sitting at 81% on MC and it got a 9/10 from IGN, Eurogamer, Polygon, 93% from Game Informer, 5/5 from Joystiq etc. It was critically very very well liked.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I bought an Xbox One specifically for Sunset Overdrive, because I'm a huge fan of Insomniac and everything they do. I loved the look of the world, I was okay with the characters, the humor fell kind of flat for me, but what really killed it for me was the controls. I played for over 3 hours and still felt like the controls were working against me instead of for me. For me personally, it was a huge bummer, but I gave it my best effort before walking away.

Spider-Man, from the outset, was like slipping on a pair of old sneakers, it just felt right, smooth, easy to work with. They get even better the further you get into the game with unlocks, but from the very beginning, I never felt like I was trying to do anything other than play a game, none of it felt like work.

I know a lot of people love SO, and I really wanted to, but for me, Spider-Man's controls are head and shoulders above it.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really didn't like Sunset Overdrive so I hope not. Obnoxious humour doesn't do it for me and the gameplay didn't grab me within the 2/3 hours I played it for so I dropped it.

That said, nothing I've seen of Spider-Man would suggest I'll really like that either so I'm waiting on a sale before trying it out.

Just make another Ratchet and Clank FFS.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Just curious as to what sort of crossover there is between fans of Sunset Overdrive on Xbox One and fans of Spider-Man on PlayStation 4. For people who've played both games, please share your thoughts on each. Sunset Overdrive is still my favorite game of the current console generation, mostly because of the variety of traversal options. I almost look at it as an evolution of the Jet Set Radio games in that sense. I haven't played Spider-Man yet (since I don't own a PlayStation 4), and I've been been hearing great things about the traversal in Spider-Man, but nothing I've seen has really grabbed me. I guess I'd also just like to know how much the two games have in common in terms of the overall experience.

I played and beat Sunset Overdrive, and just started Spiderman yesterday.

So far I can see the Sunset Overdrive influence in the gadgetry and the running on the side of buildings. Its still early in the game (1 hour) but I prefer Sunset Overdrive because it combined two of on of my favorite games Ratchet and Clank and Jet Set Radio.

I am still gonna give Spiderman a chance, but already kind of turned off by the QTE presence in my fight with KingPin.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

As far as I'm concerned, Sunset Overdrive is the most underrated game of this generation, when it comes to reviews. It deserved so much more. I don't know about sales, we never got the numbers, although they're definitely not huge, but I also don't know what that has to do with anything. The game has a strong cult following, like many others.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Only reason I bought a PS4 is to play Spider-Man, after loving Sunset. Playing it this weekend.

OP
OP
kubev

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Can't wait to see them take it further in the eventual Sunset 2
Same here. I hope Insomniac makes a sequel.

I really liked Asylum, but I could never get into City. My main issues with City were how its waypoint system handled verticality (in that it didn't) and how one mission would suddenly turn into several for what felt like the sole purpose of just having you go all the way across the city again and again. Thing is, I do believe that Sunset Overdrive shares those same issues to an extent, but Sunset Overdrive at least kept things very engaging because of the traversal.

I really enjoy the humor in Sunset Overdrive, but I know there's a pretty substantial divide among people in that sense.

While I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea, I don't see how anyone could describe Sunset Overdrive as bland in any sense.

I'd like to know that as well. I heard that traversal in Spider-Man is well done, but pretty simple and even effortless to pull off. What I liked about traversal in Sunset Overdrive was the fact that keeping the long chains going required a good amount of skill, even if the basic movement was simple. Another thing that I observed from the videos is that traversal and fighting are two mostly separate activities, whereas in Sunset Overdrive you're incentivized to keep moving at all times, even during combat (and of course, combat itself is fundamentally different, with mostly brawling in one game, and mostly shooting in the other). I'd really like to see some deeper analysis of that.
I wonder if that's a potential issue for me. I touched on how Sunset Overdrive shares problems that I had with other games, but I think the traversal keeps me engaged. I'd argue that Sunset Overdrive is maybe a bit overwhelming in that sense at first, and I'm concerned that simpler traversal might cause the problems I do have with the game to stick out more.

Dude
If you like SO, you will love Spiderman!!! You actually feel you have less restrictions than in SO. Total freedom to an extend.
Any gating early on, or do you more or less have access to the entire city area from the start?

If you have seen the footage and it does nothing for you then why bother? Trust your eyes, not someone else's opinion.
I just want to see if there's something I could be missing. Sunset Overdrive grabbed me from the start when I saw it, and I hear similar praises of Spider-Man in certain respects.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've played both. I think Sunset Overdrive deserved way more love than it got. This might sound insane to some Spiderman fans, but I actually prefer some aspects of the traversal of sunset more. Like attempting to keep up traversal combos/points by doing well timed and differing jumps. In Spiderman if you're near a body of water you can't really do much about it if there isn't anything nearby to quick zip or zip to.

In sunset overdrive you could slide on the surface of the water as part of the combo and I loved doing that. Not to mention the jet set radio styled grinding on buildings.

jstevenson I'm sure the team knows, but man there are people out there who would kill for a sequel for that game. I loved it so much. I loved the quirky/goofy humor. My favorite group were the dnd nerds and the clothing costumization I went around with armor and a wolf helmet looking swag af.

Hell I sold my Xbox, but if for some reason a second one came out Xbox exclusive without a pc version I'd likely buy an Xbox just for it.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Honest question. Would I like this game if I don't care about Spider-Man at all?

I loved Susnet Overdrive but I literally have no nostalgia or "good feelings" about anything comic bookey or Spider-Man.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Honest question. Would I like this game if I don't care about Spider-Man at all?

I loved Susnet Overdrive but I literally have no nostalgia or "good feelings" about anything comic bookey or Spider-Man.
Yes. Yes? I've literally never read any Marvel comic and have no interest in the movies. It's entirely enjoyable outside of that context.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017

Spidermans traversal like Sunset Overdrive kinda forces you to always be moving, but unlike Sunset Overdrive I have found it so far a little to idiot proof.

Its almost like Spidey will swing just fine with or without you doing anything.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
MS should've given Crackdown 3 to Insomniac after SO. Too late now .

Yup, that could work. I still have very high hopes for Crackdown 3, though. Crackdown games have always been among my favourite action-platformer hybrids, and this gen they were joined by ReCore, and, well, Sunset Overdrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.