• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
You… did it.

I spent too much time watching Pat's Dark Souls streams. That's where I picked it up at least. Not sure he says it anymore though, haven't watched a lot of Pat streams lately.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I havent been subbed to Plague for a few years because he got a bit too questionable for me but Ill occasionally see what he's been up to.

His new video essay is interesting and while I disagree with some of his grand assumptions of metaphysics and big philosophical concepts about humanity, he did give us this:

kTgzKxY.gif

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
New Wha Happun hitting soon:

Silent Hill: Downpour

and a new Keeping it Cereal should be in a bit as well

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
New Wha Happun hitting soon:

Silent Hill: Downpour

and a new Keeping it Cereal should be in a bit as well
Hmmm, I'm curious to see what happens in this Wha Happun with how much the narrative around a certain (misblamed) producer has changed. I feel like its slight mediocrity can probably be explained summarily by Konami having unrealistic projections for it and putting it through some zealous focus testing, but I'm curious to see what Matt presents.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, I'm curious to see what happens in this Wha Happun with how much the narrative around a certain (misblamed) producer has changed. I feel like its slight mediocrity can probably be explained summarily by Konami having unrealistic projections for it and putting it through some zealous focus testing, but I'm curious to see what Matt presents.

I'm curious what he can say about Downpour other than the game is bad, Konami handed the IP off to people not capable enough to make a good Silent Hill game and that Konami suck.

I wonder if he'll bring Tomm Hulett up at all?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Liam's right on the money that Sonic 06 is far more entertaining than recent Sonic games.

I watched a fan remaster of it recently and yeah...the style the game was going for is good.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Like they said so themselves, Sonic 06 has boatloads of problems. Its controls are awkward at best, awful or broken at worst. The plot and artistic choices are baffling and the whole thing reeks of poor management and crunch. But by god it's memorable.

There's something to be said at least for Sonic team during the Dreamcast era, which culminated into this game, and that for all their faults, they at least always were willing to take risks and experiment. It's only until recently where they really are playing it safe, which is why stuff like Forces will leave no dent in history, but 06 will always be remembered for better or for worse.

Also that Silent Hill video made me sad. But every silent hill retrospective video does that now. The loss of that license is just a tragedy for the gaming world

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I dunno if I agree with that.

I'd say boom is gonna have a hell of a legacy.

Forces isn't the comparison point. Forces problem is its a 4 that is directly opposed to a 9 like Mania vs 06 abject 0 which stood alone.

Boom is also a 0 and people aren't forgetting that game any time soon.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here

we're gonna slowly see the day turn into night in Woolies apartment over the course of these videos

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
i bought Downpour day one and at full price, and needless to say i was very disappointed, but there was a few things i liked about it:

- i was a fan of the moral ambiguity of being a prisoner (up until the backstory reveal/ending)

- I liked that everything tied back to the prison, tho this was to the detriment of the variation of enemy designs

- even tho the main story's writing is pretty butt, i liked almost all the 'side story' quests scattered about, tho they were mostly contained to notes/logs

- i liked the pace up until the final prison sequences, then it gets slogged down with frustrating puzzles

- outside of Korn, the music is ok

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if he'll bring Tomm Hulett up at all?
Man, I completely forgot about him until it was brought back up recently, that dude had it ROUGH.
Matt brings up Hulett a couple of times and is pretty even keeled about it.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
There was definitively some good intentions behind Downpour. I think all in all, the team itself wasn't experienced enough for the genre, especially considering it's Silent Hill.

I remember mostly hearing when it released that it was a mechanically sound/okay game, but just had no scare factor at all

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
I remember trying to get into Downpour and nothing could hook me. I am almost tempted to give it another go after so many years, but my backlog is enormous as it is.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
im curious to play it at some point in the cheaper future

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
I actually prefer Downpour to Homecoming, though neither of them are good. Probably not off the table but I'd have liked to hear more about Homecoming's development.

Deleted member 26293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think Downpour was a complete trainwreck, it was just too ambitious for its own good and victim of bad decisions all around.

Last gen was rough for japanese publishers in general, but man, the way Konami managed to bury pretty much every big IP they had is really something else.