• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
A bit late here, but I lost it when Pat's mic got cut in last weeks podcast.

Ironically censoring him talking about anime yabbos.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
Random Runescape sea shanty noise cancelling pat made me think I was picking up unknown frequencies.

Also for the current podcast, Woolie selling out humanity for jet packs is my favorite Bit.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
I rewatched what Matt and Woolie did of the Kingdom Hearts LP and man it's such a bummer they couldn't close it out. Their chemistry on that LP was great and they legitimately seemed like they were having a good time.

Matt never did end up equipping scan feelsbadman
The incompency on that LP was so high that I'm still unsure how how that LP even got that far. I hope Woolie tries Kingdom Hearts 2 eventually.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what I'm getting is that he would totally not be ok with his own clone; but if he had a voice in his head that told him to lie, cheat, and steal, it would be ok?
honestly this wouldnt even need to be in his head from the way he didnt catch himself agreeing with himself on conversation topics hes lived through

Oct 25, 2017
I got to the part with Pat and honestly I thought it would be worse. If anything Woolie was being more of an asshole. Pat was pretty upfront it wasnt for him. Sometimes there's people who couldn't be creative with a gun to their head.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
The incompency on that LP was so high that I'm still unsure how how that LP even got that far. I hope Woolie tries Kingdom Hearts 2 eventually.

Eeeeh, it wasn't that bad. I know as a kid I didn't equip the skills for a loooong time Yes I realize they're not kids. It doesn't bother me at all. It's funny but the people that get irrationally angry over them missing stuff is dumb.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
In this weeks podcast, Woolie and Pat discover:

- Creativity
- Colonialism
- Capitalism
- Communalism
- Clones

good week boys

also, Pat continues his shitgoblin streak by admitting to being a murder-hobo DnD player

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Pat and the Zaibatsu usually filled the role of the cool older kids telling us younger kids what the cool things are which are usually games and anime.
Pat specifically just does the telling of cool thing like Yakuza games, and for his current streamer job that's usually just fine. He can talk about his experience with MMO's and other games and share his knowledge of pre-existing games. He'd be bad at Jackbox party games where you do your own stuff maybe but he likes jokes so who knows.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Pat's more of an editor type - if you present him with something, he will ask questions or mention things that can make things better, but he has no inherent drive to create something from nothing.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
which is amazing, considering his output. it is largely just him existing though i suppose rather than anything edited together

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I think Walker is still my favorite Nolan performance though he's done several that really really show his range (David from TLOU).

I do wonder what ending they will end up with but honestly to me there is only one proper ending to get: killing yourself. To me the white phosphorous scene was never like the highlight. People always brought it up as "the" moment but it never felt like it to me. It is absolutely the turning point in the game but it it sorta stumbles cause it leans on being a "gotcha" moment. To me it was always The Line and everything after that point that was the high point of the game (culminating with the final moments).

Also still adore the "core" battle theme they use through the game (and how it develops as Walker devolves). It's the perfect accompaniment along side the slow and steady breakdown.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
to me 'the moment' if such a thing exists is when you come across the crowd hanging luso - i think that's his name - but there's lots of little bits and pieces throughout i remember quite vividly, which is pretty good for a game like this

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Ya that moment was what I meant by "The Line" (the game and its achievements/trophies refer to it as such)

But, ya, I agree the game doesn't really work as a nailing down a single moment which is why I it's always odd when people just specifically highlight the white phosphorus scene and nothing else. It's one slow and steady descent to the bottom.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing a "Easy mode is now selectable" moment in the LP was a treat. Though seriously, Woolie should consider it. No shame if your just breaking into this kinda game, my dude.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
to me 'the moment' if such a thing exists is when you come across the crowd hanging luso - i think that's his name - but there's lots of little bits and pieces throughout i remember quite vividly, which is pretty good for a game like this
what I like about that scene, the same thing I like about multiple scenes in the game, are the ways the player can react

scenes like that have multiple ways the player can react, and the game lets you generally, even if it's some heinous shit the player decides to do

they also don't highlight the options you have, you just naturally come to them

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
The funny thing is there are specific neat touches you miss if you never or hardly die in the game so maybe they'll actually get to see them.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i haven't actually watched yet but do they start from the main menu? they should. the way that thing changes i remember being really haunting at the time. (I also feel like it's something lots of people don't see anymore because they often play games in one-two sittings or use rest mode a lot)

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
one of my favourite bits is the firefight in the store with the teleporting manniquins because the game has been absolutely so grounded until there and that's where the losing it really starts to bleed into the gameplay

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Man this entire conversation about creativity and imagination is frustrating because a lot of it sounds like it stems from Pat having an enormously lazy DM in the past.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
i haven't actually watched yet but do they start from the main menu? they should. the way that thing changes i remember being really haunting at the time. (I also feel like it's something lots of people don't see anymore because they often play games in one-two sittings or use rest mode a lot)

I think they just finished their first sitting/session in the most recent video so they haven't had a chance to even see the main menu (again) yet.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Man this entire conversation about creativity and imagination is frustrating because a lot of it sounds like it stems from Pat having an enormously lazy DM in the past.

importance of having a good GM in all circumstances!

i will say though GMs should adapt to what players want even if what players want is just to chainsaw their way through a dungeon and pick up goodie bags, because fuck it

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Ya as a DM I'm always following the rule of make things fun for the players and let players guide you rather than making the players follow your layout. It's not "your" story, it's the group's story.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
ttrpgs would be a better place if apoc world* design was the default instead of dnd

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I'm personally not a big fan of the "just story tell together!" type games that Austin from Waypoint has shown off. The more freeform the game gets without having some structured rulesets and/or dice rolls to influence and sway things, the less interesting the game gets to me. There's a line between just freeform talking and the rigidity of DnD that's finnicky but I prefer the rigid structure.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
my main thing with dnd is that its really clear its descended from tactical wargaming so combat is the equivalent of walking into a room and its full of chest high cover

also i tend to play wizards so the first three sessions are usually me just fucking getting straight up merced, or preparing to do a really cool thing and missing

tbh the main thing i like from apoc world* and its descendents is that failure means something interesting happens as opposed to nothing happening. It's probably something you can import into DND fairly easily maybe.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
tbh the main thing i like from apoc world* and its descendents is that failure means something interesting happens as opposed to nothing happening. It's probably something you can import into DND fairly easily maybe.

Ya and that's obviously up to the group and DM and such. 5e especially has been made to be way more flexible and vague on purpose to allow for easier "winging it" and improv on the spot so you're not locked into just the static combat ruleset.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, one moment that stuck with me was deciding to shoot above the crowd's head in that scene and the game actually reacting to it.

I'll remember that moment forever.

I already know Woolie will blunder his way through it, but I can't wait to see it.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, one moment that stuck with me was deciding to shoot above the crowd's head in that scene and the game actually reacting to it.

I'll remember that moment forever.

I already know Woolie will blunder his way through it, but I can't wait to see it.
This 100%, tried it in my first play through and loved how that was a valid option. Now I'm terrified that won't even register in the discussion during the LP.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
For me I was brought down to such a dark headspace while playing that game that I basically put minimal effort in avoiding crossing the line. I pushed against the crowd a few times and they wouldn't let me pass so I just pulled the gun up and started firing. The moment sits in my head because it just worked for me while I was in Walker's perspective and just in that miserable broken state. Unlike the WP bit which only has the one option forward, The Line doesn't but I chose to cross it willingly without the abrasive of having a gotcha moment or feeling "forced" to do it like a game tends to do.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And yet the game forces you to use the White Phosphorous. I knew about what happens and purposely went out of my way to avoid using it and the game literally cheats to make it impossible to progress.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Which is why the WP scene doesn't really land for me but is merely just the start of the dominoes falling which is fine because the rest of the game more than makes up for it.

Last edited:

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
After seeing Woolie bumble through Spec Ops, so far I think it would be interesting for them to do something like Gears of War with 3 player co op. I'd like to see if that would improve things or upgrade the bumble.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally not a big fan of the "just story tell together!" type games that Austin from Waypoint has shown off. The more freeform the game gets without having some structured rulesets and/or dice rolls to influence and sway things, the less interesting the game gets to me. There's a line between just freeform talking and the rigidity of DnD that's finnicky but I prefer the rigid structure.

i fall completely on the other side of this. If it's all about the ruleset IMO you're better off just playing a videogame where the computer handles all the tedious stuff.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
i fall completely on the other side of this. If it's all about the ruleset IMO you're better off just playing a videogame where the computer handles all the tedious stuff.

And from my perspective, you might as well forgo having a game at all and just like sit around a table and just talk about stories. Neither extreme is good but I would much rather have a defined ruleset than the much much much more freeform "storytelling" games that I've seen shown off.