• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I actually do like the rigid stuff, but yeah, as part of a tactics game - not at the table.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man...Woolie and his friends just don't have the comic chops as when Woolie was with Matt and Pat.

Goddamn I laugh out loud constantly in their LPs. Not so much with Woolie's and I feel bad for that.

Oct 25, 2017
Man...Woolie and his friends just don't have the comic chops as when Woolie was with Matt and Pat.

Goddamn I laugh out loud constantly in their LPs. Not so much with Woolie's and I feel bad for that.

Samsies, though Woolie and Reggie have a pretty chill chemistry. Mihn is trying his best, but I'm laughing at the meta of the Spec Ops LP more than the actual LP. I find it hilarious what a psychopath Mihn and Woolie are coming off as in this game about war crimes.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington

They're clearly still finding their dynamic, but it does make me miss the old crew a lot. It's going to basically be impossible to capture that lightning ever again.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I've finally reached a point where I think that Woolie and Pat need to reduce the time of the podcasts. Their two hour tangents about puking into shoes/eating your friends/why should you create had me finally saying "Oh my God, please talk about video games."

Oct 25, 2017
I've finally reached a point where I think that Woolie and Pat need to reduce the time of the podcasts. Their two hour tangents about puking into shoes/eating your friends/why should you create had me finally saying "Oh my God, please talk about video games."

How dare you! The hustle chat was amazing.

(I did also legit really enjoy the fantasy book talk too, but I'm also kind with you on the tangents in general.)

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
It might be a good idea for Woolie to split the podcast into two parts, so people can opt into the meandering chatting or just listen to the game/media news talk.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
The meandering bullshit is usually more interesting than what they have to say on games, so I'm enjoying these 2+ hours tangents about nothing.

Ya this is where I sit. Their weirdo dumb tangents usually end up being more enjoyable than just a whatever discussion on whatever games they happen to be playing at the moment. I think certain news stories lead to interesting discussion but most of the time it's kinda plain topics.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
Just remembered why I couldn't recall Spec ops coming out: Max Payne 3 came out the month before it and I ended playing that all summer long.

arkon

Nov 6, 2017
I mostly listen to the podcasts. Never watch much of the LPs or streams except for some one offs. I'm most interested in hearing them talk about games. I very rarely find them shooting the shit to be funny, interesting or entertaining. In fact their laughs per minute figures generated are some of the lowest across the few podcasts I listen to. Definitely preferred the SBFC era with all 4 of them. CSB has become more of a chore. They definitely don't need to be recording for more than 3 hours.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Aight, sooo....

On December 1st of 2019, so exactly 2 months ago right now, I might have sent a question to Castle Superbeast podcast, using Spec Ops: The Line as the central example of the question and linking to Walt Williams' (game's lead writer) GDC panel about the game in the email.

Never expected Woolie to play it, but thankfully I didn't spoil anything in the email itself besides white phosphorous being a thing. It never got read on podcast, so I assumed it was too bad/boring/wordy.

The question was about "[thing you love] getting too much undue praise", and my example with Spec Ops was "gameplay being made bad on purpose". I absolutely believe in making design choices that are antithetical to "traditional" enjoyment of video games (I fucking adore Pathologic 2, where the devs went on record about doing it), but Spec Ops playing out like a mediocre/bad TPS, is no carefully crafted stroke of genius.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
The meandering bullshit is usually more interesting than what they have to say on games, so I'm enjoying these 2+ hours tangents about nothing.
Ya this is where I sit. Their weirdo dumb tangents usually end up being more enjoyable than just a whatever discussion on whatever games they happen to be playing at the moment. I think certain news stories lead to interesting discussion but most of the time it's kinda plain topics.
Nah I've got a lot of time to fill at work. The longer and zanier the better.
Mah bruthas.

Anyway, I think the problem with the CSBcast is that, week to week, the amount of good, really interesting gaming news that can create a longer discussion doesn't exist in enough quantity to make Pat and Woolie lean less into their weird tangents for evergreen (or possibly everbrown, if the circumstances work out) content. Also, because there hasn't ever been a guest on the podcast, getting weirder and weirder in the tangents is the primary source of variety, because two guys can't have the amount of variety in their weeks that 3 or more people did*, and again, gaming news isn't really that interesting most of the time.

What they need is a non-Paige/PunchMom guest every once in a while to shake things up (I'm excluding them not because they're women, but because the one time Paige showed up on SBFcast, it was super awkward for Woolie, so I figure "no girlfriends" is a sensible rule).

*This is where Liam leaving the Best Friends really hurt things, because he gave a shit about a different set of things than Pat and Woolie and added some variety to things, especially since Matt was never really into it.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Mah bruthas.

Anyway, I think the problem with the CSBcast is that, week to week, the amount of good, really interesting gaming news that can create a longer discussion doesn't exist in enough quantity to make Pat and Woolie lean less into their weird tangents for evergreen (or possibly everbrown, if the circumstances work out) content. Also, because there hasn't ever been a guest on the podcast, getting weirder and weirder in the tangents is the primary source of variety, because two guys can't have the amount of variety in their weeks that 3 or more people did*, and again, gaming news isn't really that interesting most of the time.

What they need is a non-Paige/PunchMom guest every once in a while to shake things up (I'm excluding them not because they're women, but because the one time Paige showed up on SBFcast, it was super awkward for Woolie, so I figure "no girlfriends" is a sensible rule).

*This is where Liam leaving the Best Friends really hurt things, because he gave a shit about a different set of things than Pat and Woolie and added some variety to things, especially since Matt was never really into it.

While I agree with most of this, I disagree that's there's not enough interesting gaming news you could dig into, because plenty of other podcasts do this. Like, if you can talk about puke for an hour you can probably talk about, say, Garou getting rollback netcode for more than ten seconds.

I don't mind the off-topic banter and sometimes it does go somewhere funny, but with only two people there's no one to pull the plug when it does start to drag.

Oct 29, 2017
Almost halfway through Pat and Woolie's Remake 2 streams and wow, 4 hours to get to fight Birkin for the first time. It really is an experience, Woolie jerking around the camera so much that you can get dizzy and the righteous quest to kill every single zombie in the game.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
you can probably talk about, say, Garou getting rollback netcode for more than ten seconds.
Here's the thing - Pat and Woolie have pretty firmly established that their position on netcode is "use GGPO or GTFO" - including one or two podcasts immediately before that news broke, so they don't need to talk about that for more than 10 seconds.

I disagree that's there's not enough interesting gaming news you could dig into, because plenty of other podcasts do this.
Every gaming podcast I've listened to basically picks a few topics the host/hosts are interested in and ignores everything else... and that's the way it should be, because there's nothing worse than people who don't give a fuck/don't know shit about the topic in question being forced to discuss it. Kyle Bosman discussing PC gaming is so bad that I would rather have nothing than his aggressive not giving a fuck, and people talking about shit they don't know can be embarrassingly cringey and very infuriating (Easy Allies had a real bad example of this back when XCOM 2 got revealed, IIRC).

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
The latest Spec Ops episode is pretty good, was worried Woolie would overanalyze it but it still got him in the end anyway, the other guys giving Woolie shit when he tries to defend himself after was hilarious.

The timing on Minh trying to warn him just before it happens was also on point.

Here's the thing - Pat and Woolie have pretty firmly established that their position on netcode is "use GGPO or GTFO" - including one or two podcasts immediately before that news broke, so they don't need to talk about that for more than 10 seconds.

Disagreed. i feel a developer actually taking notice of that would have been worth discussion. It definitely felt jarring when that was cut off immediately after there was like 2 hours of meandering offtopic talk before.

Pretty funny that's like a legit possibility now.

Last edited:

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I feel like Minh's emotional immaturity is on full display during the Spec Ops LP and it's helping show me why I don't like anything he's in, lol. It feels like he approaches most topics from the perspective of a horny 16 year old.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely on team CSB needs a new member or rotating guests. I get kinda irritated when Pat and Woolie get all smug about a topic they're super wrong about and no one is there to disagree (they usually ignore or shit on chat during this).

Oct 29, 2017
I just finished Woolie and Pat's Remake 2 LP and damn I really wish they continued with Clarie B, really miss LPs with both of them together

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I love the meandering bullshit. I love it so much. I'd take an entire podcast of just their meandering bullshit.

I have never laughed as hard as i did when pat said "When I look at the moon, I see a perfect society."

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Don't peak out of cover--no, Woolie DON'T peak out of... okay, he peaked out of cover.

EDIT: I also forgot one of my favorite smaller bits of Spec Ops, that as the farther you get into the game, the more pissed and super-aggressive the cast gets with their in-combat voice lines.

Last edited:

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Don't peak out of cover--no, Woolie DON'T peak out of... okay, he peaked out of cover.

EDIT: I also forgot one of my favorite smaller bits of Spec Ops, that as the farther you get into the game, the more pissed and super-aggressive the cast gets with their in-combat voice lines.
Yeah, loved that it took the whole "Your character progressively degrades" idea and kicked it up a notch.