• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017

At this point, it's no longer him walking into landmines and more willingly hitting them with a hammer as hard as he can

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Woolie going hard on this universal truth concept that would be bestowed to everyone by not-God, just some magic sci-fi shit that happened with non-descript science.
Side-stepping that the hitchhiker version is a man vegetablizing his wife, Woolie really likes ideas that go places but Pat isn't the guy to tell him the practical problems of his fantasies, Woolies deflections are about as weak as you can get and Pat just undermines himself with jokes. Eli needs to have a talk about reality with Woolie or it's really just Woolie going "WOW cool robot" and "Wow cool science" and an arrow with Practical Reality going over Woolie's head.
I know people with cushy lives who like science blogs and stuff and like to immerse themselves in cool ideas rather than how things will come about under capitalism and corrupt governments. Woolie huffing fantasy disguised as sci-fi for me is more annoying than Pat being really stupid, at least Pat knows the people of today would be real assholes about the truths.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Woolie: We are born of the blood, made men by the blood, undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open...

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I remember a long time ago a couple of my friends were discussing Hitchhikers and the topic of the Point of View Gun came up. One of them thought it'd be a great idea that would help people understand his perspective, then the other asked him "Would you let yourself get shot with it?" and he replied "No, why would I do that?".

He quickly realised that it was a bit of a selfish perspective but that conversation really stuck with me.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I remember a long time ago a couple of my friends were discussing Hitchhikers and the topic of the Point of View Gun came up. One of them thought it'd be a great idea that would help people understand his perspective, then the other asked him "Would you let yourself get shot with it?" and he replied "No, why would I do that?".

He quickly realised that it was a bit of a selfish perspective but that conversation really stuck with me.
A really egotistical person in Hitchhikers was immune to the gun because they were self centered, warped perspectives can defeat it, thus super villains can still be a thing.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
After Spec Ops' damning indictment of violent saviour fantasies as a means of escapism, I wonder what Woolie will play next.
Oh, DOOM 2016? Nice choice.

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
Feels a bit like Woolie went off the deep end this week on the podcast. And holy shit, his whole thing about how weed was criminalized by one person was infuriating. Also, come on, if you don't know how a bong works, just say so.

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
He was probably referring to Harry Anslinger, so while it's an oversimplification to say that one man is solely responsible for how modern society views marijuana use, it's also not exactly incorrect.

Thing is, he wasn't talking about Anslinger. He was talking about a paper magnate fighting the hemp industry.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Woolie's got a severe underestimation of what would happen if you revealed all of the world's truths. He's thinking too small scale. No ones gonna go back and find out about Epstein when you can find out about anything in existence. What if you go back and find out the witches were 100% real? How would that affect your view of Wiccans? Society would NEVER be able to handle learning everything at once, because regardless of what side you're on in the views of the creation of the universe, a whole lot of people are gonna be right and a whole lot are gonna be wrong and it doesn't matter which because they're gonna go insane either way

He even mentioned the eyes on the inside. Needless to say the closer people got to the truth the WORSE Yharnam was.

Last edited:

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't realize Woolie streamed Spec Ops so watched them play it out on the twitch archives. That ending still has me curling up and crying on one of its endings (which I'm glad is the first one they did because fuck god damnit fuck).

Also another Minh getting blown the fuck out moment. It's great.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the fuckin visuals of Spec Ops are so crazy. I forgot how amazing this thing looks.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
Pat PSA

Hey heads up people, I'm changing my twitter handle, and later my twitch handle once folks get used to it to PatStaresAt all across the board. It's a little silly I'm still using the angriestpat name on stuff even though it's ancient and honestly everythings been PSA forever now.

Oct 25, 2017
Pat PSA

Hey heads up people, I'm changing my twitter handle, and later my twitch handle once folks get used to it to PatStaresAt all across the board. It's a little silly I'm still using the angriestpat name on stuff even though it's ancient and honestly everythings been PSA forever now.

Bring back SnapshotKing

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Pat PSA

I can't imagine why he didn't wish to go with FuckfaceStaresAt.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i didn't realise they already hit the white phospheros bit. It's great that all three of them immediately start bickering the same way the characters do

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Anytime Woolie has to use the turret is just adorable.
giphy.gif

Edit: Not to knock him, or anything. The gameplay (like the plot) was probably made with the idea that the player is already used to Modern Military Shooter conventions.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
they're having the appropriate reactions to Spec Ops and I'm here for it.

Pity about the audio stuff in the last ep

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
new Wha Happun on the way:

Devil's Third

so fire up the Wii U

and by 'fire up' i mean 'light on fire'

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Just looked up the ending stuff from Spec Ops again and I kinda forgot how stong it was, should make for some good reactions.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
And like, when he first starts talking about the "one guy" I was like, "oh shit, history lesson?" And then it just kinda fizzled into nothing. Similar to what happened with that poor guy's email.
When i heard him go about one guy telling lies and persuading others to lies, i thought "is he talking about churches and priests again?", his upbringing clearly shaped him to who he is and people telling him about God is a mayor influence in how he perceives falsehoods and people getting coned. Society is a bit more complex than everyone getting duped by one person, the salem talk is about mutliple people being real assholes about things. Evil and greed can be a factor in a collective of people.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
His meltdown at what Strand means in dutch was fantastic
Is it really just because it means beach? It also the same in german, but stranded is a word associated with shores and the sea in english, i must underestimate native english speakers for never having looked at a dictionary before. I guess they don't have to and the connection is lost on them but pretty apparent to me, god what would a german dub of death stranding sound like. I already cringe at most german dubbed anime.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it really because it means beach? It also the same in german, but stranded is a word associated with shores and the sea in english, i must underestimate native english speakers for never having looked at a dictionary before. I guess they don't have to and the connection is lost on them but pretty apparent to me, god what would a german dub of death stranding sound like. I already cringe at most german dubbed anime.
We rarely use strand to refer to the beach (also yeah there's never an instance where someone uses the word "strand" in any conversation where we'd have to consult a dictionary. I haven't consulted a dictionary since the word 'diagetic'). More often than not we use strand in reference to its first verbal definition or second noun definition, which is also the one that the game uses the most

convo

Oct 25, 2017
We rarely use strand to refer to the beach (also yeah there's never an instance where someone uses the word "strand" in any conversation where we'd have to consult a dictionary. I haven't consulted a dictionary since the word 'diagetic'). More often than not we use strand in reference to its first verbal definition or second noun definition, which is also the one that the game uses the most
You know that Kojima loves him the english dictionary. My english teacher was such a hardcore lover of dictionaries and language he told us you haven't learned shit if you study languages and can't fully write in the international phonetic alphabet yet.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You know that Kojima loves him the english dictionary. My english teacher was such a hardcore lover of dictionaries and language he told us you haven't learned shit if you study languages and can't fully write in the international phonetic alphabet yet.
Kojima loves him some supertext.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima loves him some supertext.
Woolie sometimes brings up the fascination with language Kojima has, in the same way we westerners can only marvel/scratch our heads at the mutlitudes of meanings in Kanji and word-play used in japanese and chinese. Perhaps it's something like that when Kojima uses it with english words, however english doesn't have the bonus of Kanji meanings for us to go galaxy brain on stuff. It just seems goofy and not as fascinating as Kojima likes to think of it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Woolie sometimes brings up the fascination with language Kojima has, in the same way we westerners can only marvel/scratch our heads at the mutlitudes of meanings in Kanji and word-play used in japanese and chinese. Perhaps it's something like that when Kojima uses it with english words, however english doesn't have the bonus of Kanji meanings for us to go galaxy brain on stuff. It just seems goofy and not as fascinating as Kojima likes to think of it.
Language loses its mysticism when you speak it. Getting a kanji tattoo of a random word will probably look cool regardless of what it actually says, but in english that isn't the case

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Language loses its mysticism when you speak it. Getting a kanji tattoo of a random word will probably look cool regardless of what it actually says, but in english that isn't the case
And a random Kanji tattoo will get some laughs from the people who can read what you just did. I remember practicing bengali script from copying text from random books and magazines my parents brought over from their home and laughing at what i was writing down, i was just a kid who liked drawing the shapes without actually being able to read it and thought i'd make them proud how well i could write the characters.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm ...watching the original Shitstorms and Pat sure dropped the r-word a ton.

But he got better so, eh,.