• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Matt but the podcast is kinda better these days.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Basic gist of the conversation.

1. Woolie brings up Full body stating he's heard two stories. About Erica and Rin. He brings up that even initial Catherine didn't handle it the best.

2. Pat mentions that he's unsure of whats truenor not as he's gotten a bunch of different translations from a bunch of people. He even states that the 'best' thing to do is wait for the localization, but even that isn't ironclad as localization could "clean it up."

3. Pat goes on to list the two situations. Rin getting slapped and the true ending with Erica showing up as pretransition. They gloss over the Rin part largely cause there wasn't all that much at the time on that half for them to give a general impression.

4. Woolie and Pat bring up how the Erica stuff sounds like it sucks especially cause the ending is described as the ideal scenario.

5. Pat brings up that he heard the situation is in the past and that Erica still intends to transition so he says that at best it sounds like the Atlus tea. taken the "It could be nothing or it could be really bad" position that Devs love to take. So it'd end up being completely up to interpretation.

6. They go over that any actual explanation is at best years off and that Atlus is predominantly Japan focused and that unfortunately culturally speaking, Japan majorly doesn't care.

7. Woolie brings up Capcom and how they consulted with GLAAD so that Poison didn't come off as an insensitive joke in Cross Tekken.

8. They get an update that Toby being there makes the time window a lot less believable and they say that it definitely looks a lot worse due to that new information.

9. Pat states that due to the ambiguity and lack of official translation that they might need to wait until a later game to either truly validate the ciritcism.

10. Woolie mentions the very real backlash and how it sucks cause people he knew and were big fans of the series are dropping it because of Atlus' shit

11. Woolie then menrions that hopefully the backlash is loud enough just so that it prompts a reaction by Atlus.

12. Pat replies that there's two ways they can take it. Either they take their lumps and make more efforts to do better in the future or they take it as "These foreigners seem to bitch about this all the time, fuck it just scrap all that shit. Pretend like it never existed"

13. Woolie mentions Rin again and they state they don't know enough about her other than her being a Law Route Angel

14. Woolie mentions they took out the wrestling line so hopefully its not as bad as it reads but also mentions that they dead name erica so he dunno.

15. A further reiteration that it sucks that its in another language, they probably won't know what the intention was for long after the game is released.

16. Finally there was the statement on not knowing if it was purely the intention of the director or was an entire staff thing and how the chances of changing depends entirely on that context.

Last edited:

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Good on Pat and Woolie

I would love it if they actually sat down and said "this behavior and ideas are ones are unacceptable" but we are talking about probably the majority of their fanbase so

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they did right by this topic and this comes from someone who has been real weary about Pat/Paige and is also queer.
Basic gist of the conversation.

1. Woolie brings up Full body stating he's heard two stories. About Erica and Rin. He brings up that even initial Catherine didn't handle it the best.

2. Pat mentions that he's unsure of whats truenor not as he's gotten a bunch of different translations from a bunch of people. He even states that the 'best' thing to do is wait for the localization, but even that isn't ironclad as localization could "clean it up."

3. Pat goes on to list the two situations. Rin getting slapped and the true ending with Erica showing up as pretransition. They gloss over the Rin part largely cause there wasn't all that much at the time on that half for them to give a general impression.

4. Woolie and Pat bring up how the Erica stuff sounds like it sucks especially cause the ending is described as the ideal scenario.

5. Pat brings up that he heard the situation is in the past and that Erica still intends to transition so he says that at best it sounds like the Atlus tea. taken the "It could be nothing or it could be really bad" position that Devs love to take. So it'd end up being completely up to interpretation.

6. They go over that any actual explanation is at best years off and that Atlus is predominantly Japan focused and that unfortunately culturally speaking, Japan majorly doesn't care.

7. Woolie brings up Capcom and how they consulted with GLAAD so that Poison didn't come off as an insensitive joke in Cross Tekken.

8. They get an update that Toby being there makes the time window a lot less believable and they say that it definitely looks a lot worse due to that new information.

9. Pat states that due to the ambiguity and lack of official translation that they might need to wait until a later game to either truly validate the ciritcism.

10. Woolie mentions the very real backlash and how it sucks cause people he knew and were big fans of the series are dropping it because of Atlus' shit

11. Woolie then menrions that hopefully the backlash is loud enough just so that it prompts a reaction by Atlus.

12. Pat replies that there's two ways they can take it. Either they take their lumps and make more efforts to do better in the future or they take it as "These foreigners seem to bitch about this all the time, fuck it just scrap all that shit. Pretend like it never existed"

13. Woolie mentions Rin again and they state they don't know enough about her other than her being a Law Route Angel

14. Woolie mentions they took out the wrestling line so hopefully its not as bad as it reads but also mentions that they dead name erica so he dunno.

15. A further reiteration that it sucks that its in another language, they probably won't know what the intention was for long after the game is released.

16. Finally there was the statement on not knowing if it was purely the intention of the director or was an entire staff thing and how the chances of changing depends entirely on that context.

Woolie did really well with this then. Pat handled this better than I thought he would. It's nice to see them talk about this and take a stand. I think it's great with personalities actually care about their fanbase, and don't try to be so awkwardly grey and inviting to everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
Im glad that they addressed it. I wouldn't hate them for glossing over it but I would hace been hella dissapointed. I kinda wish they talked to their fans a bit more directly but I can also understand if they decided to try ans change the more toxic part of their fanbase with a lead by example kinda approach.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
How does Maximilian handle his chat? Both him and SBF tap into the same audience so I can only assume the same shitheads would also visit him.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Good on Pat and Woolie

I would love it if they actually sat down and said "this behavior and ideas are ones are unacceptable" but we are talking about probably the majority of their fanbase so

Patrick has built himself a reputation as the kind of person who would light himself on fire out of spite. It would be nice to know he'd do it to build a less shitty community too.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
that said i really appreciate the way woolie and pat have gone about addressing the issue this episode by all accounts

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
I won't be satisfied until Pat and Woolie call out the transphobes in chat and then challenge them to a match, panning the camera to point to a newly-created Wrestlemania sign hanging from the ceiling.

Lulu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I'm gonna say it's OD for my New York people".

Thanks Woolie I appreciated that one.

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's because the two Trans-related stories they've featured on the podcast have happened relatively close to each other and were rather high-profile, but they seem to have less issue actually discussing these kinds of issues since the start of the new podcast.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I don't think they've ever been afraid to talk about it, more there was never something that really crossed over their interests.

Wasn't LKD on a Woolie and Pat only SBFCast?

And I'm pretty sure they talked at length about the Sonic Fox EVO stuff when it happened. And I remember Pat mentioning folks only cared cause Fox was a Gay Black Furry

Ryan7556

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
So on the topic of trans stuff:

For these last few months I was conversing with How About No and they had helped convince me that I was bisexual. Later on I started to realize that there's a chance that I might be non-binary as well. Lately I've been feeling less like I identify as a male, so I'm in the zone of gender ambiguity. I feel at the very least there's a strong possiblity I'm trans so me being non-binary is where I'm starting to lean. I typed this out here because I wanted to come out to more people (I've talked to a couple on discord/online friends and my family already), and I know this thread would be pretty supportive of that view based on how long I've been here.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
So on the topic of trans stuff:

For these last few months I was conversing with How About No and they had helped convince me that I was bisexual. Later on I started to realize that there's a chance that I might be non-binary as well. Lately I've been feeling less like I identify as a male, so I'm in the zone of gender ambiguity. I feel at the very least there's a strong possiblity I'm trans so me being non-binary is where I'm starting to lean. I typed this out here because I wanted to come out to more people (I've talked to a couple on discord/online friends and my family already), and I know this thread would be pretty supportive of that view based on how long I've been here.
Yup, you're among friends here. :) A lot of us, myself included, are LGBTQ+.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Someone did some digging into the only thing more absurd than Under Night Inbirth's constantly growing title:
https://www.otaquest.com/light-novel-long-titles-history/
On the y-axis you have the year of release, starting with 1975 and ending in 2018, and on the x-axis, you have title length. It's worth noting that title length is calculated a bit differently in Japanese, counting the number of characters in the title (including punctuation and spaces) and not just the number of words.

The chart clearly shows an increase in the average title length over the years, with increasing shades of red showing the high scorers in each year. Yet alongside this increase in average title length, there has also been an increase in the range of title lengths – no doubt due to the sheer number of light novels coming out nowadays.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
I REALLY want to pick up Devotion so i'm super glad Matt is also giving it a signal boost. Detention was one of my favourite (and only one of the few good) recent horror games

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"Exuberantly wealthy ex-game dev trying to out-troll a leprechaun living in an actual dungeon" is my favorite quote of the day.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of mixed feelings about Detention. There is a lot of creepy stuff in it and ultimately I realllllly enjoyed the somber turn it took at the end when you get the good ending, but the ultimate experience felt kind of shallow to me mechanically. Not in terms of themes, motifs, atmosphere, but the game kind of just turns into walking down hallways over and over again. The one gameplay mechanic it has stopped getting used in the last half of the game. Either way I'm glad Matt did a vid on it, and that doll room is fucking horrifying.

Also Liam started playing through metal gear acid and it's really great so far. I've only ever heard of the game and its a lot weirder than I thought it was.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York

...must be friday again...

EDIT: thought that would connect back to Cliffy's tweet that all this was ultimately in response to but I guess not. I'll fix this post eventually... probably...

SethSeries

Dec 16, 2018
Pat, buddy, you been doing real good. Maybe research into the dumb npc meme you RTd but keep it up and call cliffyB out on his shit. Murder that shitty nerd. Defeat him from your literal dungeon.

LapinLopLuna

Oct 29, 2017
Also Liam started playing through metal gear acid and it's really great so far. I've only ever heard of the game and its a lot weirder than I thought it was.

Watching this is some nostalgia. I loved the Ac!d games, they were actually the first metal gear games I played with only a cursory knowledge of the series. I loved the gameplay and over the top stories, I thought the asthetic of 1 was better but the gameplay improvements and new cards in 2 were great. Having no idea of most of the characters, seeing cards like Big Boss, The Boss and Machine-gun kid seemed like the dumbest named things ever. I think 2? even had card decks including non metal gear Kojima series like ZOE.
edit* nvm both games had non-metal gear decks. oof forgot about the bikini model cards..

Last edited: