• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
do kinda wish Woolie got to play Dante. I can't imagine him not getting to play the last few missions.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Woolie played Nero, now Pat is playing Dante

that seems like a bad thing to do? i don't mind if pat is just showing dante off in his 'prologue' chapter but i feel like a lot of the point from the 'new guy + guy who's already played the game' combination is that the new guy is driving

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
hearing the various squeals of joy coming out of woolie's mouth is just hilarious

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro and other souls games have this funny thing where youtube channels that spoil boss fights and endings can barely keep up due to the nature of these games with their secrets and what not. Streamers have been the fastest in completing the game while youtube videos are lacking in how far along they are in the game. It's so common for games to be 100% completed by people who got the game early now a days, but Fromsoftware games get to keep their secrets if only for a few more days and weeks.

Oct 29, 2017
Sekiro and other souls games have this funny thing where youtube channels that spoil boss fights and endings can barely keep up due to the nature of these games with their secrets and what not. Streamers have been the fastest in completing the game while youtube videos are lacking in how far along they are in the game. It's so common for games to be 100% completed by people who got the game early now a days, but Fromsoftware games get to keep their secrets if only for a few more days and weeks.
The game is cazry, I really hope their next thing keeps the verticality because going back will feel like a downgrade. The zones are wild.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
The game is cazry, I really hope their next thing keeps the verticality because going back will feel like a downgrade. The zones are wild.
Getting another souls or Bloodborne game without a jump button would sting, having these traversal tools really make for a great world to explore in Sekiro.
It's refreshing how straight forward the story in Sekiro is too,"everyone wants to be immortal and they'll commit any crime to get it", is pretty easy to understand. People will flip out at the things they're not used to from Fromsoft games, looking forward to where they could take this now.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Heres a hot take for everybody: I don't consider Sekiro a souls game. It's just so different in design outside of some presentation stuff that I don't think it really has much comparable to souls games/bloodborne. Reminds me way more of tenchu.

Also I don't think Sekiro is actually that hard once you get the basic gist of deflections going (learn to rely on normal blocking. If you hit deflect early, just keep holding onto that button and eat the hit.) it just wants you to jump between levels a lot. If you hit a part that feels way too tough, it probably is, so go deal with something else. MB(first two letters of the boss's name) was kicking my ass until I decided to go to a different area (that was waaay easier) and beat that reasonably tough boss and got some story upgrades. When I went back she was significantly more doable.

It's definitely way more of a departure than Bloodborne, even if a lot of the core Souls stuff is still there. Sort of how Devil May Cry and Onimusha were built on the core of Resident Evil.

It doesn't remind me of Tenchu that much outside of the setting. I remember Tenchu being more of a pure stealth game like Hitman where if it turns into a big fight you basically failed, and so far the stealth in this seems more additive.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's always the period where people run high on emotions and need to calm down for a week or more and consider the hills they've climbed to beat these games. They'll realise they got stronger and can now face the difficulty the game offers. What people consider hard depends on their mastery of the game and that takes time my dudes. Once that time has passed people will call Sekiro easy as pie and forget they experienced the learning curve to call it that, which is kind of dumb that people do that. There is a larger conversation to be had about that once speedrunners break this game wide open.
That said i am more interested in all-bosses speedruns in souls games rather than getting the fastest to get ending like in BB runs, and boy does Sekiro have some optional bosses.

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely way more of a departure than Bloodborne, even if a lot of the core Souls stuff is still there. Sort of how Devil May Cry and Onimusha were built on the core of Resident Evil.

It doesn't remind me of Tenchu that much outside of the setting. I remember Tenchu being more of a pure stealth game like Hitman where if it turns into a big fight you basically failed, and so far the stealth in this seems more additive.

I agree. It doesn't go far enough to be Tenchu and is more of the action-stealth you'd get in a Batman game. It's more like Revengence Souls with jank stealth elements.

Sekiro is damn good so far, crappy hitboxes aside. The level verticality is gonna be hard to go back from depending on what they do next. Not gonna lie I was hoping for more of a departure from the Souls formula.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I hear a lot about bad Camera's in From games. But when i look at the streamer-entertainment person they got themselves corned and sealed off 2 to 3 movement options they can't dodge into anymore. The solution for the camera would be to turn the walls invisible, however this doesn't give you the ability to phase through walls. Get yourself in a bad position and flail about without re-positioning yourself to a better spot and the bad camera excuse turns to easy johns when the real problem was being impatient and trying to get hits in from a disadvantageous position.

Oct 25, 2017
It hasn't been mentioned, but Matt is playing through Asura's Wrath and holy shit I forgot how much I actually like that game. Its all style over substance but damn if it isn't some crazy cool style.

Also, I the camera in Sekiro is one of the worst in souls. Not so much that it is mechanically worse, but whenver they give you a miniboss in a hallway be prepared to not be able to see them and for it to untrack the moment they leap into the air to drop kick you.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
It hasn't been mentioned, but Matt is playing through Asura's Wrath and holy shit I forgot how much I actually like that game. Its all style over substance but damn if it isn't some crazy cool style.

Also, I the camera in Sekiro is one of the worst in souls. Not so much that it is mechanically worse, but whenver they give you a miniboss in a hallway be prepared to not be able to see them and for it to untrack the moment they leap into the air to drop kick you.
Not the worst camera just the same, again people want the invisible walls system.

Also wasn't Asura's Wrath dunked on exclusively because they got copyright striked back in the day for it or some suit prevented them from playing it?

Oct 25, 2017

My b. It got lost in all the Sekiro talk.
The camera in the fight against Lone Shadow is the real boss fight.

I appreciate how you knew exactly who I was talking about.

Also wasn't Asura's Wrath dunked on exclusively because they got copyright striked back in the day for it or some suit prevented them from playing it?

I remember they were going to do a one off where Zach played it but that never ended up happening.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Caught some parts of the stream, the sekiro obviously. They talk about terror status and the umbrealla seemingly blocks that too at least for one boss, don't know if it works for ghosts.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
On Twitter a bunch of people requested that Pat play VtMB when he asked what folks would like after Sekiro. I'm eager to learn if I will see the damn day... and how will it go?

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
im playing sekiro and then watching pat's stream up til the point where he's going to get into stuff i haven't done, then playing more. it's really funny to see how even of a playing field this game is between me, a person who played DS1 a little, and Pat, who played all of these types of games (even the non-From ones).

My stealth game skills have also really helped, it's hilarious seeing chat say "give up on stealth, there's no way to do it" when it's actually a super simple path if you pay attention to how detection works.

EDIT: welp, I guess i'm going to have to beat the drunkard before i can watch any more.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
drunkard i played very safe

used ceramic to draw out the small fries, used the NPC to distract the drunkard, made small chips away at his vit while continually jumping off his face every time he did a sweep

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think Stadia is going to 100% work but its ridiculous to act like some amount of lag or bad internet service is a killer when a huge amount of people already pay $300+ for a system and $60 to play games at sub 30 fps on TVs with 40 ms lag

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017

used ceramic to draw out the small fries, used the NPC to distract the drunkard, made small chips away at his vit while continually jumping off his face every time he did a sweep
i've gotten the "clear out small fries" down, even got a stealth deathblow on him to start, i just need to master the whole "jump over sweeps instead of dodging away" thing.

having three different defensive options fucks me up

EDIT: ok well i got im. still a bit ashamed that i only beat him with the health and attack upgrades while pat beat him at base level. But to be fair I beat the Shinobi hunter at base level.

Last edited:

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York

Man, I wish I'd had the patience to do it that way. I went around around to the left, backstabbed the first shield guy, then picked off the other minions one by one as I kited the drunkard around. Still used the NPC to help kill him in the end, but only after I got one of his lives down. NPC died at the last second and I felt real bad about it but it was too late to die and reset the fight...

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
finished pat's first stream and made sure i didn't see anything i hadn't done myself yet. Guess i'll watch Woolie's perspective of the first bit next! heard he had a much different experience, which makes sense considering their different approaches to games.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
personally i like liam reacts stuff the most but he is always a very thoughtful chill experience

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if you had a niche YouTube channel dedicated to fighting games and character action and indies and niche Japanese bullshit and wanted all your life to pilot a robot, but God said:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
i am enjoying woolie's archive but i don't understand how badly he misinterprets what minh is saying sometimes. Minh asked if he thinks the souls-like trend is dead/going away any time soon, and woolie goes on this long wandering thing about how big the souls games' impact has been on the industry. It's literally like do you think Nioh 2 is going to be a success, yes or no, and he instead takes it as a derogatory view of the souls series.

Minh's questions/comments aren't usually that complicated or out of left field, but woolie kind of overcomplicates them and never really gets to the core of what was being said.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
i can't believe that woolie thinks he needs to run out of the entire area to reset aggro. instead of, say, running around a corner and hiding in some grass.

EDIT: i'm still on his first stream so maybe he figures it out later.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Woolie so overwhelmed with Dante's moveset that his brain broke in the latest episode lol

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the wha happen? for Anthem and i fucking forgot that the devs once compared Anthem with Bob Dylan for the milestone in gaming it would be.

Also Pat fucking SSS-ranked the final boss in Sekiro, all of stream chat and most of the castle super beast audience got blown the fuck out by that, can't make fun of Pat with that kind of display. Backseaters on blast. Most of the fans complaining in chat would probably take 10 times the attempts.
Wasn't no damage or whatever but it was clean enough.I imagine Max will be crying for a whole evening when he gets there.