• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I dunno why folks seem to think any of the guys girlfriends was a significant factor.

When the answer is probably the most obvious.

Pat is a super vocal, super petty, super abbrasive guy who's passionate about petty stuff.

Matt is a super laid back and occasionally a wall to things that do not interest him who's super passionate about dumb stuff.

They're largely opposites.

Hell, I'd even argue they have the least in common in terms of taste. (Including liam)

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno why folks seem to think any of the guys girlfriends was a significant factor.
Some nefarious third party pulling the strings from the shadows makes things easier for people as they don't have to face the fact that things weren't so cheery between Matt and Pat as they thought. It's incredibly disgusting but you see it all the time. I guess it's fitting people are bringing up Yoko seeing as it was pretty much the same back then.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this was a ton of fun while it lasted.

Still love the individual channels, but October will be less fun without the Shitstorm.

Also thank everyone in this thread. Lurking here (for the most part) was a joy. You guys rock! Thanks for the memories.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
This really is quite a bummer. Pat's personality was a bit off-putting to me sometimes, but it's still sad to see them go their separate ways, even if it is for the best for all of them. I just binge watched their PE1 & 2 playthroughs yesterday too. Something tells me a playthrough of 3rd Birthday is more unlikely now.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I definitely did not expect to wake up to that video. It's such a weird feeling, but their solo stuff will still be there and I already know there is still gold ahead. What becomes of this thread is anyone's guess, but it may as well just become a composite thread for their solo stuff (after all, we routinely post about Liam's stuff).

I've been a fan since the Persona 4 video back in the day, but I never really considered the likelihood of the Best Friends ending. Now that it's here, I should feel more depressed, but I'm looking forward to seeing what new content emerges now that they can each dedicate their best energy to their own work.

So, I'll say thank you for the years of quality LPs and thank you to Lady Luck that it was not a David Cage game that ended the channel.

Oct 25, 2017
I should probs make a big emotional post since I've been in with them since they started their Chrono Cross LP but I'm still processing it. I remember marking the fuck out when the Shitstorm of Scariness officially started. It's fucking weird thinking about how many literal months of my life have been spent listening to these guys talk about dumb shit. I'll need atleast a few days to kinda process this.

Also remember when we were all freaking out when Liam left going "Is this the end of Best Friends?" Good times. Good times.

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Man.
Matt's part of the video really got me, actually brought a tear to my eye. I'm a junior in college and I've been watching these guys since middle school. It's gonna be weird to say the least to not have the channel around anymore.
It also sucks about Matt and Pat, but I'm glad they didn't run the channel into the ground with that conflict and just decided to end it before things could get bad. I just hope people don't do too much conspiracy theory bullshit about what happened, at least any more than they already have.

Oct 25, 2017
I won't say it in the other thread going on, but there isn't really a conspiracy. It's Pat. Pat's an ass. Like they were upfront about it: Mat and Pat aren't friends anymore. This is one of those Arkams Razor kind of things.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
If Pat is the problem, can't we have a "Zaibatsu" with Matt, Liam, Woolie, and maybe Eyepatch Wolf.

And Pat can have his own with Paige, Plague, and Alex Jones.

Deeks

Oct 27, 2017
I started watching these dudes as I entered freshman year of college and now, a few months after graduation, they're gone. I can't believe that these guys who I've been watching for five years are really breaking up. I would always look forward to 3 and 9PM, or 12 and 6 if I was out west, and now there's just...not going to be anything. They uploaded so consistently and were always so great to watch or listen to that I just don't know what's going to fill the hole they left behind.

I remember how happy I was, when I saw Matt show off the little godzilla christmas ornament I sent him in the mailbag, even though the part of the episode where they got it was lost. Seeing him show off the fact that it roared and lit up while it was holding that lighthouse, and hearing him say how much he liked it, made me immeasurably happy. I was in a dark place, for my standards at least, and the fact that something I had done was going to live on through their videos just did something to help that. I remember, too, how one of my friends mentioned that I got mentioned in passing on the podcast - when Pat brought up that someone had told him about Overlord being SAO "but with a giant skeleton instead of kirito". I'm not sure if it was actually me, because that was a pretty common joke, but the idea of it was pretty cool, at least.

Most of all, I'll remember the talks I had with friends about SBFP, and even some of the friends I made through watching their videos. There was nothing quite like getting hammered with a buddy and watching the first episode of their Detroit LP.

I think what hurts the most isn't that they're going away - I always sort of knew they would eventually, whether it would be because they'd start new families or if they'd just drift apart. What hurts is knowing that it was so acrimonious, that instead of just deciding to end things that it was because they stopped being friends at all. It's four people a thousand miles away who I've never even met, but it still makes me sad to know that they just didn't get along as well as they looked on screen. Whatever the criticisms my friends and I have levied at them, I always appreciated them more than other YouTubers in part because of the chemistry they presented, and knowing that the chemistry was, maybe for a long time, a front, makes it that much worse.

I know they'll have their own solo channels, but I'm going to miss their specific brand of bumblefucks so damn much. They really were some of the best at what they did.

So long, Super Best Friends Play.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If Pat is the problem, can't we have a "Zaibatsu" with Matt, Liam, Woolie, and maybe Eyepatch Wolf.

tumblr_m8g3nbptdd1rut2wm.gif

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
That thread just made me realize I too discovered neogaf through the best friends.
Same, I'm pretty sure. Been watching them almost since the beginning, used to check Machinima weekly to see if they had a new episode, then they had their own channel and that became my go to. I rarely (never?) posted here, but the Super Best Friends have been a huge part of my life and have in a very real way shaped the person I've become.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I haven't followed Beat Friends long enough to have an opinion on Paige beyond hearsay, but I did notice a lot of people on the /v/ thread about this were championing her as some flawless hero while putting down Matt's girl as a "SJW".

So, while I haven't exposed myself to Paige at all (the podcast clips on the channel were the first time I've seen her), it does seem to kind of be a "not racist but #1 with racists" situation.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
This situation is quite sad. I was pretty bust this morning so it took me a minute to see and process the video.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
People really going at Matt's wife on Twitter when Pat is the problem is a big fucking yikes

The fucking video images already are a massive turn off but I'll check it out
Jfc. This is literally the same thing that happened with Game Grumps, fucking idiots always blame the spouse. And this case is waaay more clear cut, too. Anybody whose followed the channel for the past couple of years would've seen some subtle animosity between Matt and Pat (it was really noticeable in live podcasts), so whatever caused the breakup is strictly between them alone. I wonder when fucking 4chan is gonna """"leak"""" some copypasta bullshit about how they punched each other.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
It's so fucking obvious and there's enough of a trail of evidence it's fine if they don't wanna pull up on him like that but it's quite clear

The only real trail of evidence is Matt hardly giving a shit for a long while now, in LPs with both Woolie and Pat and on the podcast. I believe that Pat and him are on bad terms, but Matt's lack of effort is probably a factor.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017

Have these two EVER interacted?

Always took Eyepatch Wolf as a Pat n Woolie guy. Especially since he's super anime and Matt is super not.

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
It's amazing this lasted as long as it did. My first exposure was weirdly Matt's cartoon edits street fighter and mortal kombat in ages past. Only later after seeing their machinima stuff and then following them on youtube did I realize why that 'sw1tcher' name was so familiar.

It's been a long wild ride and I'll keep following them in their solo endeavors.

Reposting here because you all are the ones I care about and didn't realize I was posting elsewhere, haha.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Love these guys, will probably go back and watch their stuff for years to come. The amount of positive content creators they influenced and promoted to fame is insane. It's been a long and wild ride since I discovered them on their Captain America Machinima episode, and while I'm sad to see it end, I'm grateful I got the chance to get in in the first place.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to see Spiderverse today, but now I just feel liked I'd be too bummed to enjoy it. I guess I will just sit around and watch old videos instead.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
444444.jpg

I'll just post this here as a quick example to illustrate a couple of things.

1- It's pretty clear things were unwell for nearly just about a year. This has come clear now, hindsight is 20/20 and all that...
2- They are being super trasnparent and open about all of this while still requesting some sense of privacy and respect over personal issues. Considering these guys have all been public figures for nearly a decade on the crescet of internet content creators... i think this was a fairly respectable way to deal with all of this and it's only fair that people respect that distance too.

Please don't feed internet trolling bullshit. People grew apart, they took their work as far as they could go and they are now walking different paths. It has all been fairly respectable and clean so far. Nobody is owed any more information on that.

But, as someone that has been really influenced by their work, it saddens me to see the falling out. Even if the whole channel would stop, i would still prefer if these guys could remain friends. But if that's not the case, at least i wish that they be happy and successful.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People on the internet usually blame people's girlfriends or any female they know of for anything really. The usual shit-eaters that call themselves fans will resort to any number of bullshit to throw their tantrum.
ah yeah, that happened when jontron left game grumps(good riddance tho)

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Ive been thinking about this all day. Theres a lot of things that could be said but the one I want to say that I think hasnt been touched on is this:

The classic "Matt/Pat" arguing thing might have been the spark of the channel's appeal, but Woolie was really the rock of the whole thing that kept it going. It never would have been what it was without him (I mean, literally Matt and Pat would not have been friends otherwise). Im trying to imagine what it wouldve been like without him, no Podcast, no Brawls/Fisticuffs, no Liam... Woolie kept it all going for far longer than it had any right to.

Seeing his recent stint on failed projects and work related efforts highlights his dedication to the channel for me. Woolie really is the man.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Ive been thinking about this all day. Theres a lot of things that could be said but the one I want to say that I think hasnt been touched on is this:

The classic "Matt/Pat" arguing thing might have been the spark of the channel's appeal, but Woolie was really the rock of the whole thing that kept it going. It never would have been what it was without him (I mean, literally Matt and Pat would not have been friends otherwise). Im trying to imagine what it wouldve been like without him, no Podcast, no Brawls/Fisticuffs, no Liam... Woolie kept it all going for far longer than it had any right to.

Seeing his recent stint on failed projects and work related efforts highlights his dedication to the channel for me. Woolie really is the man.

I'd started watching far enough back that I remember the drama when Woolie started getting properly involved, with people claiming that messing with "The Formula (TM)" would spell the death of the channel. It happened again with Liam, especially given his proclivity to play devil's advocate on the podcast (for the better, frankly). I'm finding it somewhat ironic given those separate uproars that neither ended up being involved with its ending.