• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I just can't bring myself to watch any content featuring Pat since finding out about Paige and Pat's defense of her. I really wanted to watch Woolie play through RE2 remake...

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, this Apex segment
EvilPowerfulAbyssiniangroundhornbill-size_restricted.gif

Oct 25, 2017
there are things where woolie is clearly asking for direct confirmation of things to the point where he's not going to move forward unless he gets an answer. pat's just playing to his inclinations

A little restraint on pat's part wouldn't have hurt. I'm just saying that it doesn't make for compelling viewing when all the spontaneity has been removed.

Oh, this Apex segment
EvilPowerfulAbyssiniangroundhornbill-size_restricted.gif

I can't wait to hear this. Been playing Apex myself and I'm legit shook at how decent it is.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I don't trust Woolie's takes on shooters tbh

Honestly the RE2 session reminded me that Woolie being so in on fighting games left him with huge gaps in the rest of his gaming knowledge.

That said Apex being way less interesting than Titanfall 3 isn't really a bad take even if Apex is really well made for what it is.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the RE2 session reminded me that Woolie being so in on fighting games left him with huge gaps in the rest of his gaming knowledge.

That said Apex being way less interesting than Titanfall 3 isn't really a bad take even if Apex is really well made for what it is.
I mean fair but the dude insists on using controllers but only playing PC as well. It's just really weird to me.

I also don't feel like the choice was a binary as it seems development wise.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017

I think it's a lot more complicated than "it's dumbed down". A lot of the character abilities obviously are served by having a slower pace to the game, and the player movement has more granularity to it in apex vs titanfall.

Wallrunning feels like digital movement, Wallclimbing and sliding down hills feels much more analogue.

and it's needless to say how titans fuck up the balance of a game when players don't respawn in two seconds after being stepped on.

Also the whole thing about being so certain titanfall would never exist again just because they decided to make this instead is kind of lol. Titanfall 3 coming out as pretty much more of the same in yet another packed 60$ shooter season would have killed the series for sure, far better that they now have this side project success and can take their time to make more meaningful improvements to the titanfall formula and their engine.

the rant about the "poor business decision" and "trendchasing" also feels really out of touch when you listen to giant bomb's interview with a respawn dev which puts the timeframe in which they got interested in the genre in context. Woolie and Pat not really knowing or caring about the origins of battle royale or PUBG makes it hard for them to understand that titanfall 2 development was wrapping up at around the same time as the smaller games that began the genre were taking off, and respawn is perfectly up-front about being interested in doing their own take on it and the fact that they've been keeping up on what came out since then and taking notes.

It was also really funny to hear Woolie not know anything about the fact that most of the recent call of duty games had movement options similar to titanfall, as he was trying to defend it as the most niche super unique shooter that nobody was taking influence from.

EDIT: i might sound a bit harsh here but like... nothing about that segment sticks as something i can take seriously. I wouldn't have listened to the whole thing if it made me upset, its just a goofy lack of self-awareness imo

Last edited:

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else watching the VOD of Woolie's RE2 stream? Is the chat SUPER fucked up for you too? Every posted comment is repeated 15 times

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's a lot more complicated than "it's dumbed down". A lot of the character abilities obviously are served by having a slower pace to the game, and the player movement has more granularity to it in apex vs titanfall.

Wallrunning feels like digital movement, Wallclimbing and sliding down hills feels much more analogue.

and it's needless to say how titans fuck up the balance of a game when players don't respawn in two seconds after being stepped on.

Also the whole thing about being so certain titanfall would never exist again just because they decided to make this instead is kind of lol. Titanfall 3 coming out as pretty much more of the same in yet another packed 60$ shooter season would have killed the series for sure, far better that they now have this side project success and can take their time to make more meaningful improvements to the titanfall formula and their engine.

the rant about the "poor business decision" and "trendchasing" also feels really out of touch when you listen to giant bomb's interview with a respawn dev which puts the timeframe in which they got interested in the genre in context. Woolie and Pat not really knowing or caring about the origins of battle royale or PUBG makes it hard for them to understand that titanfall 2 development was wrapping up at around the same time as the smaller games that began the genre were taking off, and respawn is perfectly up-front about being interested in doing their own take on it and the fact that they've been keeping up on what came out since then and taking notes.

It was also really funny to hear Woolie not know anything about the fact that most of the recent call of duty games had movement options similar to titanfall, as he was trying to defend it as the most niche super unique shooter that nobody was taking influence from.

EDIT: i might sound a bit harsh here but like... nothing about that segment sticks as something i can take seriously. I wouldn't have listened to the whole thing if it made me upset, its just a goofy lack of self-awareness imo
Adding to this, starting to be a bit grading to hear people still make blanket assumptions on the hows/whys with changes made from TF to AL, even after Respawn was transparent with their decisions. You'd think a studio that up to this point has been making "all killer no filler" should warrant some faith that these choices was made for the betterment of the game itself and not for the lowest common denominator. I'm willing to believe they tried to keep wallrunning/titans, fighting tooth and nail until they came to a impasse. If I was to arm-chair dev this, then off the top of my head, TF's movement would snap the BR's risk-reward factor of healing/reviving mid-fight in half.

Also pretty surprised I've yet to see anyone connect this path they've taken with the failed acquisition from Nexon. Not to say that said acquisition was the sole driving force behind Respawn making AL; but would people really be this surprised if a company known for FTP games acquire a studio to make a FTP game? Which speaking of, boy would I assume Nexon is REALLY PISSED about not getting them now.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
You'd think a studio that up to this point has been making "all killer no filler" should warrant some faith that these choices was made for the betterment of the game itself and not for the lowest common denominator.
I think they'd have gotten more faith if their publisher wasn't EA, who even the head of the studio has little faith in and has a demonstrated track record of making studios do stupid shit and then killing them when they are perceived to be of little value.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
I think they'd have gotten more faith if their publisher wasn't EA, who even the head of the studio has little faith in and has a demonstrated track record of making studios do stupid shit and then killing them when they are perceived to be of little value.
True, that's a fair point. In most cases I would have thought the same, but when looking at Respawns recent interviews and community blog posts I feel inclined to believe them. I genuinely think they are being transparent. As opposed to say, Insomniac's case, where it definitely felt like they were tip-toeing around what most likely a EA mandate to change Overstrike into Fuse.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did Woolie at least do some bit of research and bring up the 4 failed spinoffs they tried with Titanfall before they were even acquired?

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Matt speaking against Vic is one of the first time I've seen any of the boys speak up about a controversy of this nature. Apparently even he's heard of the stink around Vic at the con scene so I imagine it was more personal.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Matt speaking against Vic is one of the first time I've seen any of the boys speak up about a controversy of this nature. Apparently even he's heard of the stink around Vic at the con scene so I imagine it was more personal.
What about that time the Saint Boivin came down to bless the thread and tell us he felt extremely sorry for our damned souls?

Oct 25, 2017

With the ties they have to the cosplay community I'm not suprised that they've heard first hand accounts. I think Liam said something similar on twitter.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What about that time the Saint Boivin came down to bless the thread and tell us he felt extremely sorry for our damned souls?
That was the blessed day that I realized that Jon was right in his message that nonwhites really shouldn't mix with whites lest we dilute the gene pool. Thank you Saint Boivin

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Woolie expecting any health regeneration in RE, one of the fathers of the survival horror genre, blew my mind.
It was not really a closely held secret.

For example, if you were watching anime-related content on ThatGuyWithTheGlasses when the site was still relevant, I think you were aware of Vic's shit, what, in 2012?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
the vic shit is 100% a #metoo everybody knew thing in microcosm

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
Titanfall's movement is still more less one of a kind, because COD's take is absolute dogshit.
You wallrun slower than old people fuck.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Is Woolie okay? I imagine his heart stopped beating after seeing Tetris Battle Royale and Kamiya game with stands.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
That feel when you realize David Hewlett (the guy who played Rodney McKay in Stargate Atlantis) might be a slightly saner, more successful version of Pat.