• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
the content drop was a bit extreme but a chapter a day would be nice

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
yeah that was preeeeetty shit. i saw 10 min left or whatever and was like sweet at least they'll get to the boss and then they didn't and yeah

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
What does pat have against Brie Larson's thing of wanting more diverse movie critics and interviewers. Seems extremely suspect imo

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
She did it in a really condescending/shitty way, so he's treating it like every other shitty statement/comment media companies/workers put out.
Gonna need more detail on how exactly she was being condescending about the extremely real racial homogeneity in entertainment criticism and reporting.

What exactly rubbed you and probably pat the wrong way about it, and is it actually bad enough to be a net negative that erases this extremely obviously positive stance she's taken?

---

I do agree that carol herself doesnt have much personality, but her interactions with maria save her character. I have hope she can go somewhere interesting in the future. The movie definitely has a problem with some overt corporate feminist posturing, but there are times when they really get it right. (Eg. her relationship with her superior and how she learns to overcome his attempts to stoke her sense of inferiority.)

I honestly hate the guardians movies (at least the first, never bothered with the other) so its nice to have a space marvel movie that's at least as good as the first iron man movie. This is definitely middle of the road overall, but ive honestly loathed a lot of Marvel's recent output, including Infinity War. It also stands pretty nicely on its own, basically mainly only tying into the first avengers movie.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna need more detail on how exactly she was being condescending about the extremely real racial homogeneity in entertainment criticism and reporting.

What exactly rubbed you and probably pat the wrong way about it, and is it actually bad enough to be a net negative that erases this extremely obviously positive stance she's taken?
A lot of it is her tone and word choice, along with the cringe of her interacting with that black reporter lady, which has very strong "if you don't like/care about this thing/cause/position, you are bad and should feel bad" vibes, which automatically generates a "fuck you and whatever you're associated with" response in a lot of people.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of it is her tone and word choice, along with the cringe of her interacting with that black reporter lady, which has very strong "if you don't like/care about this thing/cause/position, you are bad and should feel bad" vibes, which automatically generates a "fuck you and whatever you're associated with" response in a lot of people.
Is it rational that it "automatically generates" that response? What is actually leading to that? Because it sounds like the thought process is "i dont follow this closely, so if this person is asserting it's important to know about it that makes me a bad person, and I don't want to be a bad person."

Do you see why this seems flawed and kind of insecure? People always bring up other things after feeling that way, but the only really consistent way to argue against this kind of thing is to take the position that near-equal representation in any field is actually bad. And when people don't take that position, i don't assume they're hiding those feeling secretly, i think they're just refusing to examine what it actually means when something makes you uncomfortable.

Personally I don't at all think feeling that way is necessarily bad! Learning how to fit your own ideals requires moments of non-comfort.

EDIT: i want to reiterate that i specifically said I do NOT assume people are either with or against. I assume they are confused about their own reaction to someone talking positively about something they probably also agree with. However, i don't think being confused is necessarily healthy, and i especially don't believe it's reasonably defensible.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'll second that I think the Brie Larson stuff is taken way out of hand. I think she's right to want a more diverse press tour and I think the anit-diversity crowd have misconstrued it to a lot of people because they'd rather people talk about her being an asshole and not notice how many white press people ask the questions in the last dozen marvel movies.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Is it rational that it "automatically generates" that response? What is actually leading to that?
I don't know if it's rational, but I think it's certainly an instinctual reaction to poor communication and perceived judgmental conduct that creates a perceived "you/them vs me/us" divide. I believe I read in a book a while ago that highly aggressive/confrontational approaches are actually really bad for getting people to accept ideas, because of that instinctual reaction - if you want to people to change their minds, you need to expose them to positive stimuli instead of negative stimuli, to overwrite their learned experiences and assumptions.

So, in the context of this stuff, Brie Larson saying something that can be perceived as "fuck white dudes and their opinions" as the preface to her statement of "we need more diverse voices in film criticism" is a pretty big poison pill that causes an instinctual negative reaction, because there's a lot of stuff that can be read with that subtext floating around. It turns a fairly laudable cause into something intensely personal/incredibly easy to dismiss, which actually gets in the way of accomplishing the goal by causing pointless division.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing Pat was jsut parroting whatever RLM said and didn't do any research himself. Not that it makes it better really.

Oct 25, 2017
In before Pat pops into the thread to talk about how he's never seen a Red Letter Media video in his life and we all need to chill out with our dozens, no hundreds of scathing insults to his personal character.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if it's rational, but I think it's certainly an instinctual reaction to poor communication and perceived judgmental conduct that creates a perceived "you/them vs me/us" divide. I believe I read in a book a while ago that highly aggressive/confrontational approaches are actually really bad for getting people to accept ideas, because of that instinctual reaction - if you want to people to change their minds, you need to expose them to positive stimuli instead of negative stimuli, to overwrite their learned experiences and assumptions.

So, in the context of this stuff, Brie Larson saying something that can be perceived as "fuck white dudes and their opinions" as the preface to her statement of "we need more diverse voices in film criticism" is a pretty big poison pill that causes an instinctual negative reaction, because there's a lot of stuff that can be read with that subtext floating around. It turns a fairly laudable cause into something intensely personal/incredibly easy to dismiss, which actually gets in the way of accomplishing the goal by causing pointless division.
Thanks for the clarification on what you're saying. I would agree that intense aggression can undermine your cause, but I also think that in this case a large group of people have developed a wildly expanded definition of what constitutes "being aggressive", especially when it's coming from a woman or non-white man, and that this oversensitivity has developed as a result of an initial failure to self-examine. When this has become self-feeding to the extent it has, there's very little one can do to avoid generating a negative response besides just not talking about these important issues at all.

It's a bad situation, and the only way out is for people who have these negative reactions to turn them in a reflective direction, rather than a reactive one. As a person with a large following and great influence on/admiration from a lot of people who might not understand why people care about these sorts of issues, it would have been encouraging to see pat put in the effort to try and gain a more complete understanding of the situation, rather than assuming the worst of a person and not questioning where the reaction to them might have its roots.

While perfectly communicating exactly what is desired without tripping any nerves is of course the ideal route to better understanding and a better world, human nature at times actively works against making that as simple as it can sometimes sound, and I don't fault brie larson for not being perfectly successful

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro goes some places, without me even knowing what NG+ entails replayability is gonna be huge.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
im psyched for sekiro because it sounds like they basically made it into a full on action adventure game with a few upgrades rather than an action rpg. Also I was one of the people who fell for the whole samurai sword trick in dark souls 1, where it's broken when you load into the game.

Oct 29, 2017
You mean Liam and Pat? I didn't see a Woolie one up
Oh shit, I only saw Liam and Pat playing so far. Gotta find some of Woolie giving it a shot now.
lol in my case I forgot Liam was gonna do it too.

How has Woolie been doing at the game so far?
He's very early on, his reactions to stuff have been pretty cool. Stream was great, Billy shows up!

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
im psyched for sekiro because it sounds like they basically made it into a full on action adventure game with a few upgrades rather than an action rpg. Also I was one of the people who fell for the whole samurai sword trick in dark souls 1, where it's broken when you load into the game.
It's fantastic so far, and yeah that seems like the best way to describe the changes they've made. Careful playing it immediately after playing DMC5, though. I've found myself trying to lock onto enemies with R1 and dodge with X way too many times so far...

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I beat the first boss-like dude you fight after getting the grappling hook in sekiro. Game owns, can't believe there's an actual combat trainer. Seems so much more accessible but just as punishing as other souls games.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I beat the first boss-like dude you fight after getting the grappling hook in sekiro. Game owns, can't believe there's an actual combat trainer. Seems so much more accessible but just as punishing as other souls games.

Yeah I've been sticking with Sekiro longer than I ever did with DS1. There's an argument to made that it's overall more difficult, but I can't say it doesn't explain itself well (for the most part) and give you the opportunity to practice. Though I wonder if that's necessary with the generally more complex combat system. I can't imagine trying to figure out sweep-countering or the Mikari thing by myself.

Oct 25, 2017
Heres a hot take for everybody: I don't consider Sekiro a souls game. It's just so different in design outside of some presentation stuff that I don't think it really has much comparable to souls games/bloodborne. Reminds me way more of tenchu.

Also I don't think Sekiro is actually that hard once you get the basic gist of deflections going (learn to rely on normal blocking. If you hit deflect early, just keep holding onto that button and eat the hit.) it just wants you to jump between levels a lot. If you hit a part that feels way too tough, it probably is, so go deal with something else. MB(first two letters of the boss's name) was kicking my ass until I decided to go to a different area (that was waaay easier) and beat that reasonably tough boss and got some story upgrades. When I went back she was significantly more doable.

Ryan7556

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Heres a hot take for everybody: I don't consider Sekiro a souls game. It's just so different in design outside of some presentation stuff that I don't think it really has much comparable to souls games/bloodborne. Reminds me way more of tenchu.

Also I don't think Sekiro is actually that hard once you get the basic gist of deflections going (learn to rely on normal blocking. If you hit deflect early, just keep holding onto that button and eat the hit.) it just wants you to jump between levels a lot. If you hit a part that feels way too tough, it probably is, so go deal with something else. MB(first two letters of the boss's name) was kicking my ass until I decided to go to a different area (that was waaay easier) and beat that reasonably tough boss and got some story upgrades. When I went back she was significantly more doable.

This doesn't feel like that much of a hot take, and I feel similar (despite never playing Tenchu).

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Its absolutely the first of their iterations on the framework of demon's souls that feels like it belongs in an entirely different genre, rather than being a new approach to the same one

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
In any case the difficulty seems to be ruffling a few feathers both on this site and elsewhere. I didn't pay much attention at the time, but was the initial reaction similar for Bloodborne?

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
In any case the difficulty seems to be ruffling a few feathers both on this site and elsewhere. I didn't pay much attention at the time, but was the initial reaction similar for Bloodborne?
Absolutely similar. I feel like this one has a much better ramp-up than bloodborne tho, the first generic enemies you fight are pretty dang scrubby.

---

Something i keep forgetting to mention is the camera transparentizing objects in the foreground. This is new, right? Cause i know a lot of people complain about the camera in these games

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
Pat is surprisingly good at Sekiro. I guess not that surprising considering all the character action games they play

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
wait, i thought woolie was driving the DMC5 LP, but turns out it's Pat? I don't know why I thought woolie was driving