• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Listening to the podcast bit about crunch and shit and i am just wondering why on earth Woolie can't just admit that unions would be good to have in the games industry and not go on this long "big picture" thing about how society in general isnt fair. Like, dude, what is wrong with talking about the obvious logical first step the industry could take towards becoming better for its workers? Making the world a fairer place requires working towards small improvements.

It just feels like he's doing everything possible to make it seem like there's nothing anyone can do and its completely hopeless and why even bother thinking about solutions.

And the way the discussion was framed around the respawn news makes it feel like he's trying to justify why he feels upset about the titanfall projects being delayed by acting like their stated reasoning for delaying it is bullshit or fake or something.

The thesis seems to be "so that's why they should just hire more people and work them just as badly as everyone else does so i can get my video game that i want", what with all the ways he talks about how convenient and nice it is to be a consumer of the products of the industry's churn.

I don't for a second think he's consciously trying to say that, but it does feel like he didnt know when to stop talking or admit he was just following his subconscious in an unknown direction. This didn't need to be a giant part of the podcast. Literally nothing is actually being said other than "the world is cruel and complex", and it (probably unintentionally) made him sound like he wouldn't support game industry unions if they were widespread.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I take a look at my life and realize there's nothing left...

EDIT:

12 years ago...

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Paige has come to bat for the very things people accuse her of being against. I repeatedly see her be in support of trans rights, charities and folks but the people here that decided to cancel her haven't been paying attention. Somehow y'all are shocked that a man will believe and defend his girlfriend over randos on era.
And yet she's friends and works with Dick Masterson.

People that judge her? They can continue to do so pretty comfortably as long as she keeps doing that.

He's absolute trash.

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the podcast bit about crunch and shit and i am just wondering why on earth Woolie can't just admit that unions would be good to have in the games industry and not go on this long "big picture" thing about how society in general isnt fair. Like, dude, what is wrong with talking about the obvious logical first step the industry could take towards becoming better for its workers? Making the world a fairer place requires working towards small improvements.

It just feels like he's doing everything possible to make it seem like there's nothing anyone can do and its completely hopeless and why even bother thinking about solutions.

And the way the discussion was framed around the respawn news makes it feel like he's trying to justify why he feels upset about the titanfall projects being delayed by acting like their stated reasoning for delaying it is bullshit or fake or something.

The thesis seems to be "so that's why they should just hire more people and work them just as badly as everyone else does so i can get my video game that i want", what with all the ways he talks about how convenient and nice it is to be a consumer of the products of the industry's churn.

I don't for a second think he's consciously trying to say that, but it does feel like he didnt know when to stop talking or admit he was just following his subconscious in an unknown direction. This didn't need to be a giant part of the podcast. Literally nothing is actually being said other than "the world is cruel and complex", and it (probably unintentionally) made him sound like he wouldn't support game industry unions if they were widespread.

I think it might be a Canadian thing because I used to work at an american Tim Hortons owned by a Canadian guy who was also super anti union in the kind dodgey way Woolie talks about it (Not to say I think Woolie is super anti union-just my boss was). I think there's a lot of misconceptions out there about what exactly a union would mean for the games industry.

Oct 25, 2017

Might have something to do with his current headspace.

He was going through some IRL shit that weekend.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised they didn't really talk about their new partnership on the podcast. I would have thought it would be a bigger deal.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I thought they would at least go into some detail on what the partnership entails. But it's sounding like it's just gonna be business as usual for them except maybe going to RTX now in the future.

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
I like how in the W101 play through they always offset the hype moments and silly set pieces with bummer stories.

Child abuse, horrible work culture, and prison industrial complex.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017

I think it might be a Canadian thing because I used to work at an american Tim Hortons owned by a Canadian guy who was also super anti union in the kind dodgey way Woolie talks about it (Not to say I think Woolie is super anti union-just my boss was). I think there's a lot of misconceptions out there about what exactly a union would mean for the games industry.
Honestly, I feel like it's more that people in Woolie's age range actually remember that at the late 90s/early 2000s, there was a whole bunch of companies that straight up collapsed or did massive cuts due to union demands that were completely incompatible with actually maintaining an existing business.

And now it's honestly even worse to think about unionizing video games, because we've got AI that can pump out novels and new articles, the ability to create textures and 3D models by scanning existing assets, and the ability to upscale art assets to higher and higher resolutions through AI neural networks. Now you don't need to outsource to cheap foreign labor - you can just outright cut tons of jobs and have a fraction of the people do the job for far less money... all you need is the right incentive/excuse to go through with it.

Oct 25, 2017
And now it's honestly even worse to think about unionizing video games, because we've got AI that can pump out novels and new articles, the ability to create textures and 3D models by scanning existing assets, and the ability to upscale art assets to higher and higher resolutions through AI neural networks. Now you don't need to outsource to cheap foreign labor - you can just outright cut tons of jobs and have a fraction of the people do the job for far less money... all you need is the right incentive/excuse to go through with it.

See i've never liked that arguement because the AI that pumps out novels is a bad writer and always will be. AAA Companies can replace their staff with robots but they'll make shitty games because of it and people won't buy them. Besides, the crux of that appocolyptic future is that if we're not careful everyone will lose their jobs due to robots but people are already frequently losing their jobs. But companies are kinda already doing that.

Anyways since I don't think it's been posted yet, SBH did a pretty good video on the idea of a video game union, the history of film unions as a comparison, and some speculation as to what that will do to the future of videogames.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
As a Canadian, unions rule. You can slippery slope it all you want, but people killing themselves with infinite hours to not even get paid very well while the ceo makes absurd money is not the only possible way to run a profitable business.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
We must protect Crymetina at all costs
100% of pussflap mentions i heard are from this series

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
D50q-9vV4AAoD3a.jpg

kuze taking kiryu's job

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
emperor patpatine
darth woolie
princess mcmuscles
liam skywalker

the rebel alliance is scattered, while the empire shits on Spider-Man 2

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Also I would assume "Game of Thrones Bad Now" wouldn't be that hot a take. I don't watch the series, but I feel like all I ever hear is non stop talking about how bad it is now.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
matt tweeted about how much he loved last nights episode and i couldnt tell if he was being sarcastic or not lol

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I thought last night's episode was good but "best ever" is a stretch so I'm leaning towards sarcastic

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
All I know is that somebody didn't pet their dog, so that must be the worst character.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Also not including Spiderverse in that Mish mash new Spiderman trilogy is bad taste.