• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
sometimes you have to take the good with the bad

the force requires balance

james-franco-wink.gif

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
but once FFH comes out, that would turn the new trilogy into the quadrilogy

and turn the old trilogy back into the trilogy

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Pour one out for the Best Friends again

https://www.resetera.com/threads/wapo-once-'a-new-art-form-'-let's-play-videos-are-facing-a-glut.115648/

Longtime Let's Player Woolie Madden, 32, of Canada, says viewers are looking for at least one of three factors in Let's Play content: The videos have to be informative, entertaining or reactionary.

"If you're all three, that's fantastic," said Madden, who was part of a larger YouTube channel called Super Best Friends Play before the personalities broke up last year. "If you only have one out of three, it needs to be a 10-out-of-10 thing. As times have gone on, people are looking for a bit more of just that one thing."

Woolie moving up in the world

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
^^^ It was good seeing Woolie in that WaPo article.

Madden is the only one of the former Super Best Friends group committed to the old-school style of Let's Play. Yes, the editing issues are time consuming and the pressure is higher, because it requires cutting hard-to-watch footage of ambling gameplay and commentary.

"But the end result is something I really, really feel proud of. It's more measured than a Twitch stream. And it ends up feeling like a very complete look and journey through a game," Madden said. "I still enjoy that, and I'm going to keep with it until ... well, I guess until I don't have that feeling anymore."
I really wish he ended that with "well, I guess until I go Hollow."

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I really wish he ended that with "well, I guess until I go Hollow."
the end of the article

"But the end result is something I really, really feel proud of. It's more measured than a Twitch stream. And it ends up feeling like a very complete look and journey through a game," Madden said. "I still enjoy that, and I'm going to keep with it until ...

well, I guess until I don't have that feeling anymore."

then he go hollow

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Not familiar with Mauler, but from the way they described it it sounded like the most anti-watchable thing in the universe and I'm kind of morbidly curious now...
I've only seen Mauler's Dark Souls 2 response, and I really liked it, as ridiculously long as it is. Hbomberguy's defense of DS2 is weirdly snippy and smug, misrepresents a ton of Matthewmatosis' points and does not address them, makes a lot of assertions from emotional, personal basis and does not back them up, and also makes several contradictory statements just to let DS2 have an edge on 1.

Like say, first telling that Demon's Souls' grindable herbs completely broke the game's difficulty, and suddenly DS2's lifegems are perfect and don't break it because ???
Or, defending DS2's various cheap cut&paste mob bossfights because "it's a form of strategy!" and then later in same video, calling the many 1v1 duel type bosses against big dudes with swords, "the way the game was meant to be played, the best designed content"

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Here's my takes on the hot takes:
  1. Sam Raimi Spiderman - I can see where they're coming from
  2. Game of Thrones - meh, I don't care, but they make great points about A) things coming to an end, B) waiting until something's over to jump on it, and C) not having plans
  3. Battlestar Galactica - that actually wasn't a hot take, most of the fandom feels that way
  4. Twin Peaks - don't care
  5. Firefly - that probably rustled fan jimmies, but it's fine
  6. Dollhouse - LOL, who gives a shit
  7. MCU - not really controversial unless you didn't like certain events in Endgame
  8. Star Wars - barely mentioned, didn't deserve a mention in the podcast description on the site
  9. Star Trek: Discovery - see above, although I thought it would've been brought up during the Sonic movie talk along with the Jim Sterling video, because it's the same kinda of crap

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
I don't really care about GoT's quality since for me the series jumped the shark all the way back to season 5, so right now i just watch it for pure stupid "raw reaction" entertainment. Nothing it does really phases me.

In general tho, the propensity of nerds to go at length on WHY they don't like a thing is tiring. it's not even that they're wrong, but Mauler is a perfect example of someone who could basically summarize his entire thoughts in 10 minutes but why do that when he can suck your lifeforce for 10 hours. I don't have that much energy to devote to pop culture in the first place when it's just kinda bad (although I do enjoy criticism, but that's why i'd rather enjoy shorter form stuff, or talks about things like thematics rather than just "THE THING HE MAKES AT THIS POINT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE"

Oct 25, 2017
I can totally see why someone as OCD as Pat would bounce off season 3 of Twin Peaks.

That Hbomberguy DS2 video is terrible but I'd rather piss glass than watch a 10 hour refutation of it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The podcast makes me think that they don't know "Gotta Go Fast" came from Sonic X, and is its theme song

Oct 25, 2017
So is the new lore that after the fall of the Best Friends, Woolie unveiled his trueself to the rest of the world dumping on the things we all thought he liked and has now started a cult after becoming Better Woolie.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's also kinda funny Woolie mentioned plot armor being linked to relationships in GoT considering

Missandei just got decapitated last episode

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i have to say, I love w101, but fuck me these levels drag when you're not the one playing them lmao.

I'm here just for the hype

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
So are the stats not finalized until the baby is born, because I would assume you would be able to tell in the womb and abort the fetus otherwise.