• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Really dislike the Ono-esque dog whistling in this thread. Like, I'm concerned for Pat in the way you hope someone doesn't turn into a milkshake duck and embrace that community fully down the line, but we're diving uncomfortably close to the conspiracy theory zone.

Paige isn't one of the former Best Friends.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
End of an era though the writing was on the wall where everyone is now doing their own channels. It was quite a run though, I can't think of other supergroup LPers that have lasted as long as they have which aren't completely commercialized like Rooster Teeth or Giant Bomb.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved them. End of an Era. The writing was on the wall for a while now. So I am not the least bit surprised. I will definitely continue following them going forward.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the theme of Woolies new podcast, Woolie Will Figure It Out, is great, btw

learning through failure

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Will be interesting to see if Quinton Reviews will do a Fallen Titans episode on them. Probably a smart idea to wait a bit and see what bits of info float to the surface from them individually rather than dive into mostly speculation.

Veeboy

Oct 31, 2017
Well, I never thought I'd cry over the end of a youtube channel but here we are. I've been with this group since I was in high school, throughout my college years, and well into my time as an adult. Its so surreal to have it end so abruptly overnight. This channel in particular has gotten me through some dark times and I'm so sad to see it go. At least everyone has their individual things that I can go through, but their group dynamics is what really kept me interested so often.

Still its for the best if they just can't work together anymore.

Thanks for 9 great years you wonderful assholes.

ZeroGravity

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Paige hangs is buddy and has been on podcasts with alt right dudes, and has shown some... just not great views of feminism and female representation in things.

Which is weird because pat, when decides to open his mouth about that sort of thing, seems really liberal about that sort of stuff. So I guess they just don't talk about it. I dunno what their relationship is, i'm not here to speculate on that
It's funny how people are always quick to dismiss an actual woman's opinion on matters of feminism and female representation when it doesn't align with their own.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
End of an era though the writing was on the wall where everyone is now doing their own channels. It was quite a run though, I can't think of other supergroup LPers that have lasted as long as they have which aren't completely commercialized like Rooster Teeth or Giant Bomb.
Does GameGrumps count besides the higher production comedy skits? They're mostly bigger for things outside the channel like that tv show and their music.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Yovideogames crew is another one. They don't make LPs though and people tune in more for their weekly streams.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Parents saw I was crying ans asked why, I said it was basically like the Beatles breaking up for me and they totally understood.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they were the Beatles, except more hype, and probably shittier at video games then the actual Beatles would have been

Except Liam.

Also Me RN
woolie.jpg

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Liam, in fact, has surprised me a lot over the years. Not to say I expected something bad from him specifically, but I was just constantly prepared for the worst with every online personality I followed, and Liam continuously shows he's a super good dude, and it's great. Stanning the true Risen Super Star
Liam is way more in there in calling out political bullshit and he won't stand for it,like certain politicians getting casted for a game. The rest of the crew wouldn't bring it up just to talk about it exclusively.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Fuck, through all this mess I almost forgot I still have to get up and go to work today. They're still doing their own things so Its not all bad, but damn its one of those end of an era type things for sure. Did feel real weird this week though without the FNF and now I know why.

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I knew this was coming when Matt went on vacations more and more and less time on the channel. Ever since Liam left 2BFP he seemed less enthusiastic about the channel and more interested in his own work. I'm not saying it's his fault, but his Debbie Downer bullshit in the LPs made me watch them less. Thank Fuck Woolie and Pat are still doing a podcast.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liam is way more in there in calling out political bullshit and he won't stand for it,like certain politicians getting casted for a game. The rest of the crew wouldn't bring it up just to talk about it exclusively.
Yeah, he legitimately seems to care about shit, more so than the average youtuber does. Hell, even just his reaction to smaller things like Sonicfox is super heartwarming.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

Yeah Liam seems to have made the most progress in terms of speaking out about this sort of stuff. I remember seeing him call our people in his stream for using the word "trap" as a slur. He definitely has his own share of mistakes made, but from what I've seen of him lately it's been positive.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised, and honestly not even sad... The writing has been on the wall ever since they started expanding their own personal yt/twitch channels.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish he uploaded his raw twitch streams like Liam does I hate these super short cuts that get posted onto YT
That I agree, the DMCV video is weird. I guess because it was just long stretches of stuff he didn't see was valuable and he cut it. I would prefer the raw stream TBH. But I feel like we might be the weirdos' on that front and woolie might be playing to some data

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I was going through a rough time changing anxiety medication I made one of those sappy reddit posts to thank them , Liam actually send a kind message to me on Reddit.

I'll never forget that.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I just wish he uploaded his raw twitch streams like Liam does I hate these super short cuts that get posted onto YT

Tbf his reasoning is super solid; uploading super long videos like that can kill channels unless they're specifically stream-dumps like Pat's is, and he has more he wants to do than that.

It's kinda funny and sad that Matt has put in so much effort, arguably the most out of them, into side projects and shows and yet he's the one I'm least interested in. I guess it's a tastes thing at that point. Still love him though, definitely the wittiest Best Friend.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
This has been some time coming, unfortunately. Subscriber growth has been flat, view counts on episodes have been declining, and the individual channels and Twitch streams have been steadily becoming more lucrative and efficient to produce to the point where sticking together for nostalgia's sake just wasn't a realistic goal. Each member of the team clearly had developed different personal creative priorities, and I would imagine the behind the scenes arguments on how to "save" the channel was starting to take their toll on each's mental health.

Great respect to all of them for providing many hours of joy for myself and others, but this is ultimately for the best, I think. This is not the end for any of these guys, and I will be eagerly anticipating where their passions take them on their individual projects. And their inevitable crossovers.

With all that sappy shit out of the way, though, the end of the channel means Liam can now officially and definitively be canonized as best Best Friend, and I will hear no arguments otherwise.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
This has been some time coming, unfortunately. Subscriber growth has been flat, view counts on episodes have been declining, and the individual channels and Twitch streams have been steadily becoming more lucrative and efficient to produce to the point where sticking together for nostalgia's sake just wasn't a realistic goal. Each member of the team clearly had developed different personal creative priorities, and I would imagine the behind the scenes arguments on how to "save" the channel was starting to take their toll on each's mental health.

If I had to speculate, I'd say two of those arguments involved putting in more effort and one of them didn't.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Gonna miss the podcast. But i still get a Woolie/Pat podcast and a Woolie solo podcast? I'm ok with these things.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he has SO MANY different video intros, nearly all animated by different creators

he loved working with others when it comes to stuff like that

Matt's passion is weird.

When he loves something he goes super fucking hard in.

But if he isn't into something, he sandbags it HARD.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

Great respect to all of them for providing many hours of joy for myself and others, but this is ultimately for the best, I think. This is not the end for any of these guys, and I will be eagerly anticipating where their passions take them on their individual projects. And their inevitable crossovers.

With all that sappy shit out of the way, though, the end of the channel means Liam can now officially and definitively be canonized as best Best Friend, and I will hear no arguments otherwise.

A lot of stuff has become eye-opening in retrospect, like their open admittance in the podcast to let people weigh in on what they're considering to play next, like they reached the point where they couldn't figure out or agree on what they wanted to do next in terms of direction and were just letting the fans pick for them so they'd get what they wanted. The fact that the last Matt and Pat LP is based on their popular Star Trek Machinima episode, considering that Pat sounds like he's half-awake the entire time and that Matt is clearly fishing for jokes, and that there were still people in the comments going "This is what I've always wanted!" all give off the impression that the magic was gone and that they were just trying to appeal to what people liked about them in the past and realizing they couldn't do that.

TheWickedSoul

Oct 26, 2017
Super Best Friends Play was/is my favorite youtube channel of all time feel like I'm gunna cry. The podcast was amazing too.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Matt's stuff is great, it's still all about "look at this stupid shit that exists!"and other stuff he find cool,like edgelords, wha happen and stuff. It's inline to what best friends stuff has been since the beginning.