• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
o8FCaTW.png

Developed By: Dan and Gary Games
Gary Porter- Game Designer, Programmer, Writer,
Dan Plate- Artist, Writer
Adriel Genet- Music Composer
Miles Flanagan- Sound Designer
Release Date- 4/10/2018
Available on: Steam, PS4, Switch
Price: $19.99
OST: $9.49 Google Play, Steam, Amazon, iTunes, BandCamp

Plot:
Super Daryl Deluxe is an RPGvania with brawler-style combat set inside of a perfectly normal, sprawling, multi-dimensional high school. Like any other perfectly normal school, its students and faculty are going missing and the classrooms have been locked down for weeks. Yes, there's nothing remarkable happening at WFHS whatsoever - just ask the new principal.

Things are bound to get stirred up when an enthusiastic, bizarrely dressed new kid wanders into town. This go-getter's name is Daryl, and he just wants to make friends. What starts out as an innocent effort to help jump-start a young contraband textbook business turns into a harrowing quest through the school and its enormous, monster-filled classrooms in the hope of becoming the most popular kid in town. Oh - and saving everyone's lives is top priority, of course.

No need to worry. There's nothing to see here at Water Falls High School.

The Team:

The game is made by a FANTASTIC small team of four.

Dan and Gary:
intel.png

Dan and Gary have been friends since middle school and began working on Super Daryl Deluxe in college. After a year of design changes they nailed down a style and got to work with Gary as the sole programmer, and Dan as the sole artist.

About two years into development they launched a Kickstarter, which was successfully funded within a month. With the funding they received they hired musician Adriel Genet of "Burn the Ballroom", and sound designer Miles Flanagan.

From there they went on to win first place for Best Visual Quality at GDC 2015's Intel University Games Showcase, and became US champions of the Microsoft Imagine Cup 2015. They become one of the winners of the Taco Bell Indie Game Garage at the end of 2015, and since then have secured full development funding for Super Daryl Deluxe through a partnership with MAGIC Spell Studios, Venture Creations @ RIT, and RIT itself.

teamfull.png

The Sounds and Music:
With a dynamic duo of Miles and Adriel. The team is able to make not just every hit carry impact, but every tune keep you amped and rared to keep going! With musical inspiration drawn from everything like classical to chiptune to hair metal and more. But just telling you isn't enough. With that being said, watch the trailers consisting of solely original music found in the game.

Trailers:

Screenshots:
Gorilla%20Fight.png
Inventory.png
mon.png

Dwarves&Druids.png
Death.png
Desert%20Fight.png

Reviews:

Playstation Universe - 9/10
CHRIS DEVISSER said:
I cannot overstate the hilarity in this game. The combat is fun, if a bit tedious at times, but it never drops the ball on consistently delivering humor in oddball situations, built around a cast of lovable characters. With a little luck, you just might learn something you were never taught in highscool.

COGconnected - 88/100
Haley Perry said:
Super Daryl Deluxe masterfully combines the outlandish qualities of a graphic novel with the fun and ease of a classic arcade game.

Hardcore Gamer - 4/5
Chris Shive said:
Super Daryl Deluxe is a must-play title for fans of ridiculous and random humor as this is a definite contender for most ridiculous RPGvania ever made.

Nintendo World Report - 8/10
Zachary Miller said:
Super Daryl Deluxe is fantastic despite the minor inconveniences. The story becomes increasingly strange, the locations increasingly surreal, and the dialogue increasingly funny. I can't say I've played too many games like this, and I'm very happy to have had the opportunity.

Sixth Axis - 8/10
Dominic Leighton said:
Humour is a tough aspect for games to get right, but Super Daryl Deluxe nails its dry, surrealist American-indie tone. Despite the inherent repetition of the RPGvania match-up, the writing, graphical style, and imagination that Dan & Gary Games have packed in here mark it out as a wonderfully weird indie gem.

Nintendo Life - 8/10
Liam Croft said:
Super Daryl Deluxe is one of the coolest games on Nintendo Switch right now. Its skill-based combat will have you coming back for more as you unlock numerous abilities that change the game, the story will have you laughing with its witty through line, and the visual presentation is a sight to behold thanks to a stylish art style that is sure to please. If you ever need a bit of a pick me up, there's not much better than playing Super Daryl Deluxe on the go.

The Digital Fix - 7/10
Jason Coles said:
An enjoyable game despite somewhat repetitive combat that gets by on it's writing for the most part. A fun level up system and some entertaining skills keep things interesting and as long as you can deal with the fetch quests you will have a good time.

Playstation Lifestyle - 7/10
Tyler Treese said:
There are some great ideas here, and some really funny writing, but the good moments are all surrounded by a bunch of middling ones.

Destructoid - 7/10
Kevin Mersereau said:
It's a really f.cking stupid game, and that's what I loved about it. It seems like it's almost doomed to be overlooked, but this is a classic case of the pros outweighing the cons. Super Daryl Deluxe has cult classic written all over it.

God Is a Geek - 6.5/10
Mick Doherty said:
Super Daryl Deluxe isn't that bad a game. You'll face the classic trope of the RPG difficulty spike in each new area and maybe a menu bug along the way but for the RPG fans among you it has plenty for you to do and see that you'll spending a fair amount with Daryl and a host of familiar faces.

Cubed3 - 6/10
Gabriel Jones said:
The blatant repetition, the largely pointless narrative, the unlikeable cast; if even one of these elements were out of place, then the adventure would probably fall apart. Frankly, this is a baffling conclusion to arrive at, but few titles are designed to own up to their bad qualities. This one knows it has poor ideas, and runs with them anyway. It's actually kind of admirable, but still really hard to recommend on a whim.

Push Square - 4/10
Sam Brooke said:
Dan & Gary Games has given the Metroidvania RPG genre a fair crack of the whip with Super Daryl Deluxe, but its needless amount of monotonous side quests and its floaty, button-mashing combat negates the occasional humorous highlights. There is a good game in here somewhere, but plenty of fat trimming is in order before you can get to it.

Last edited:

r3n4ud

Oct 25, 2017
Quebec
The game looks pretty darn cool. It's priced a little out of impulse buy for me, but I'll definitely pick it up down the road.

Thanks for doing an OT!

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks completely unique and creative. I'm not convinced about the combat however...looks kind of floaty and clashing with the art style. Daryl is such a large figure, I wonder how the hit detection is.

OP
OP
taco543

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
The game looks pretty darn cool. It's priced a little out of impulse buy for me, but I'll definitely pick it up down the road.

Thanks for doing an OT!
No problem! Glad to get some light on this. Yeah that impulse range is daunting but if you like metroidvanias and rpgs it fills a great hole. Definitely worth checking it out on sale at least.
Looks completely unique and creative. I'm not convinced about the combat however...looks kind of floaty and clashing with the art style. Daryl is such a large figure, I wonder how the hit detection is.

Yeah the art is truly unique and looks great, has this handrawn look and feel to it, but with that I saw some of the reviews mentioned it being floaty. When I played it I noticed it a bit, but it wasn't jarring or anything to harshly hinder my experience. Again from my play time with it I honestly didn't have any issues with poor hit detection, I haven't seen anyone else bring up that they had poor hit detection either.

OP
OP
taco543

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
Updated the OT with BandCamp OST link added more reviews. Also I will say finally got around to playing the game more, been playing on ps4 and am loving the art, the complaints about it being floaty I feel are too harsh because the game flows really nice.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I remember when one of my professors, who's good friends with the devs, demoed one of the original rough prototypes of the game a couple of years ago. I'm glad the team and the game got to where they are now.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
Nice OT, loved reading about how this game came to be. Definitely gonna keep my eye on this game as I make more room in the backlog.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
About 4 hours into the game. Enjoying the story and the combat quite a bit, but the backtracking can get pretty tiresome.

Edit:
Oh yeah, The Science level (Do Robots Cry Electric Sheep) has the best music I've heard all year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
taco543

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
Edit:
Oh yeah, The Science level (Do Robots Cry Electric Sheep) has the best music I've heard all year.
Yeah the music is phenomenal, that's why I had to add links to buy it to the OT if anyone was interested, if you also have Google play music, you can stream to your hearts content

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Yeah the music is phenomenal, that's why I had to add links to buy it to the OT if anyone was interested, if you also have Google play music, you can stream to your hearts content
Kind of funny that all the links in the OP are just for the soundtrack but I didn't spot one to go anywhere to buy the game.

I'm really not into the look of the game but reviews are solid and I've seen some good chatter so I went ahead and added it to my wishlist. Make sure Dan and Gary thank you because I wouldn't have done so without this thread.

OP
OP
taco543

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
Kind of funny that all the links in the OP are just for the soundtrack but I didn't spot one to go anywhere to buy the game.

I'm really not into the look of the game but reviews are solid and I've seen some good chatter so I went ahead and added it to my wishlist. Make sure Dan and Gary thank you because I wouldn't have done so without this thread.
... Yeah... I thought I added that... lol Just updated the OT and added all the shop links lol

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Glad to have found this OT! I'm almost at the end, and I'm in love with this game! It's fantastic, and the humor and depth is top-notch!

I gotta say, one of the final places you go in the game, it really freaked me out in a good way, I love it when games do this! also, the conclusion to Count Roger's feud with bats was hilarious!