• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Think I'll probably pick up the PC version rather than Switch.
Wouldn't be surprised to see a decent mod scene pop up for this.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Is the PC version not actually available to pre-order?
The Steam store page has no pre-order or add to card available. I can't even see any indication of PC version pricing.

Edit - Seems that you can purchase it from Greenmangaming but it's not available via Steam itself?

Last edited:

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
My pre-order copy from Best Buy came that I ordered last year when this was announced, but I forgot it was a thing and haven't heard a thing about it since.

There are no reviews to be found anywhere.. is anyone here even playing this? Not sure if I should keep or return my copy. Visually, it looks really rough from the videos I've seen, but if the gameplay is fun, that's what matters.

Pierogi Mage

One Winged Slayer
Dec 7, 2017
My pre-order copy from Best Buy came that I ordered last year when this was announced, but I forgot it was a thing and haven't heard a thing about it since.

There are no reviews to be found anywhere.. is anyone here even playing this? Not sure if I should keep or return my copy. Visually, it looks really rough from the videos I've seen, but if the gameplay is fun, that's what matters.
I just picked it up last night. I think its good for what it is

Gaiaknight

Oct 25, 2017
Been enjoying the game since i got it yesterday, its my first hero's game didnt try any of the 3ds games but im enjoying story mode and havent really got into arcade mode yet but i hear its good.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
What is with Japanese DBZ voices sounding like fucking 5 year olds? Dude is a grown man, why the hell does he sound like that???

I keep getting told that in Japanese VA culture once a VA gets a character they're expected to do the voice until the character is retired or the VA dies, this isn't a problem in most animes because very few animes go through these many generations as Dragonball, so you literally have Goku being voiced by the same person who did kid goku doing the same voice (as it is expected by the japanese audience) and it just sounds weird because Goku is a grandpa now.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I keep getting told that in Japanese VA culture once a VA gets a character they're expected to do the voice until the character is retired or the VA dies, this isn't a problem in most animes because very few animes go through these many generations as Dragonball, so you literally have Goku being voiced by the same person who did kid goku doing the same voice (as it is expected by the japanese audience) and it just sounds weird because Goku is a grandpa now.
Grandma actually

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
From what I understand, the voice actor thing is mostly about how respected VAs will never be replaced unless they either pass away or get into some big scandal and their reputation is ruined, but that doesn't necessarily apply to things like time skips. Goku and his sons are a special case even within Dragon Ball because not only do they retain the same actress but they speak exactly the same as adults as they did as kids (Trunks for example has the same actor but sounds totally different in his kid and adult incarnations).

It's just a Goku thing really, and yeah it's weird but you get used to it lol.

And hey, the game is awesome! I'm enjoying it a lot. Wish there was an OT because there's a lot of intricacies to it, but I can't see it being that popular.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
From what I understand, the voice actor thing is mostly about how respected VAs will never be replaced unless they either pass away or get into some big scandal and their reputation is ruined, but that doesn't necessarily apply to things like time skips. Goku and his sons are a special case even within Dragon Ball because not only do they retain the same actress but they speak exactly the same as adults as they did as kids (Trunks for example has the same actor but sounds totally different in his kid and adult incarnations).

And hey, the game is awesome! I'm enjoying it a lot. Wish there was an OT because there's a lot of intricacies to it, but I can't see it being that popular.
You can always make one, doesn't matter if it's quiet

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Nozawa does different voices for the adult and kid versions of her characters. And even between the adult versions of Gohan and Goku she does different voices. Gohan is more mature sounding with a softness to his voice and he speaks very properly, Goku has a more childlike quality to his voice that matches his personality and is a bit deeper than Gohan, but also can get really high pitched and he speaks pretty improperly.

Also Nozawa is beloved in Japan so it's not like there is any reason to replace her. To the Japanese she IS Goku. It's not just that she's respected, people love her as Goku.

Last edited:

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Just checked on the store, WHY IS THIS 39.99?!

I mean, come the fuck on, LOOK AT IT

D2thls9U0AMaNb1.jpg:large

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Just checked on the store, WHY IS THIS 39.99?!

I mean, come the fuck on, LOOK AT IT

D2thls9U0AMaNb1.jpg:large
Heroes is a long running arcade game that was built off of Budokai 3. There are hundreds of models at this point, they aren't going to remake them for a Switch port that isn't even going to sell a million units. While it's only been called Heroes since 2010, the game has actually been going since 2005, though it has seen massive changes since that time.
The game has a shit ton of content, that's why it's full price.

Last edited:

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Whilst I'm enjoying the gameplay they have done a seriously poor effort at localising/porting this.

Putting aside the fact that the game isn't dubbed despite not being priced as a budget title (Hell, the Switch version is £49.99 on the UK eShop, that's AAA money), they haven't even bothered to translate the text on the in-game card artwork. Even Dokkan Battle did that, and that's F2P. I get that there's a LOT of cards but that's no excuse when people are paying good money for a localised version.

Also, the PC version is pretty lazy and barebones. It doesn't have an in-game menu where you can quit the game (Certainly none that I can find), you can only get out of it by using Alt+F4 as far as I can tell. The only place there's an Exit option is the Main Menu when you launch the game, which there seems to be no way to return to once you actually start playing.
The graphics settings at the main menu are pretty barebones. You have 5 options,
  1. Resolution
  2. VSync - On/Off
  3. Anti Aliasing - On/Off
  4. Graphics Quality - High/Low
  5. Window Mode - Windowed/Borderless Window/Fullscreen
But then I guess there aren't that many more options you actually could include really.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whilst I'm enjoying the gameplay they have done a seriously poor effort at localising/porting this.

Putting aside the fact that the game isn't dubbed despite not being priced as a budget title (Hell, the Switch version is £49.99 on the UK eShop, that's AAA money), they haven't even bothered to translate the text on the in-game card artwork. Even Dokkan Battle did that, and that's F2P. I get that there's a LOT of cards but that's no excuse when people are paying good money for a localised version.

Also, the PC version is possibly one of the laziest PC ports I've ever seen. It doesn't have an in-game menu where you can quit the game (Certainly none that I can find), you can only get out of it by using Alt+F4 as far as I can tell. The only place there's an Exit option is the Main Menu when you launch the game, which there seems to be no way to return to once you actually start playing.
The graphics settings at the main menu are pretty barebones. You have 5 options,
  1. Resolution
  2. VSync - On/Off
  3. Anti Aliasing - On/Off
  4. Graphics Quality - High/Low
  5. Window Mode - Windowed/Borderless Window/Fullscreen
But then I guess there aren't that many more options you actually could include really.

Yep sounds like a Bamco game alright

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Finally found where the option to quit the game is in the PC version.

Basically the game hides it from you until you've gone through an hour of tutorials, then there's a "Return to main menu" option hidden away under the Hero Switch option that lets you change which game mode you're in.

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Got it on the Switch and after playing about 8 hours of this, I'd say that this game is surprisingly fun and much better than I expected. You can definitely tell it's a 3DS up port from it's models, backgrounds and low quality textures but still, it's just fun to see all these DB characters in one game. It's goofy for the most part with the typical DB video game kinda story(ahhh new evil threat, here's every villian coming back but they're slightly different/new form, fight!) but if you like DB fan service of all sorts, this is basically it in spades. Always wanted to try these games and it's pretty fun and easy to understand but there "is" more complicated stuff for those who want to go more in depth with actual stat/effect/etc with all the different card combos and trust me, there's a TON. Also be warned that every voice is in Japanese for those who care about that.

Arcade Mode Sagas
fVeHOWm.jpg

Gameplay is basically stopping a meter at the highest level to attack/defend against the opponent with some extra stuff sprinkled in there to make it different like moving the analogue stick in a certain motion or wiggling it. There's 5 rounds of attacking and defending and who goes first depends on how strong your attacking team is which is determined by where you place your fighters at certain points on the board (4 areas on the board with 3 of them being orange Attack areas from strongest attack/more stamina usage to lower attack/lower stamina and then the bottom is the blue Support area where you regain stamina or do support skills). Every character has some sort of attack/support skill that activates at a certain time that makes for some fun and unexpecting moments that can change the tide of battle and when you get a good combo together, you'll feel like you hit a jackpot when your enemies health fully depletes by the end of Round 2. There's a shit ton of information I didn't talk about also but there's tutorials to make you understand it and it's not all that hard if you find something like Pokemon TCG or maybe Yu-Gi-Oh understandable.

Your attackers and where you place them determine your power level and turn. Watch your stamina though!
7RIVSiy.jpg

All in all, it's a gatcha Dragon Ball card game with characters from it's whole history with a TON fan service(or fanfic service lol) galore like SSJ Raditz, SSJ4 Gohan, movie characters, minor DBS characters from the last arc.... basically every character/form you could imagine honestly. I would say that those who think it's a bit to much at $60, it's completely understandable since it's a 3DS up port but there's no doubt that there's literally a shit ton of content in the game.....I've only unlocked 66 cards outta 1161. I haven't even scratched the surface of the game but outside of Story mode(only up to chapter 2 atm), you can make your own cards and missions and upload them online for people to play, there's local and online battles, an Arcade mode with a load of scenarios/Sagas(21 Sagas from what I counted but maybe more?) that has different challenges/missions to complete and also some Tournament mode called Hero Stadium....heck maybe even more stuff I don't know about lol.

SSJ Nappa.....lol
9QKEr17.jpg

Final thoughts is that it give me the feels of Dragon Ball Fusions(3DS) but in a card game form with it's same addictive gameplay that might get a bit repetitive later on but still fun for fans to enjoy. If you seen videos and thought "hey that looks pretty interesting/fun", you'll probably like enjoy it especially if you're a big DB fan like me but if you're on the fence, just wait for a price drop or something in the future since it IS a pretty steep price tag that should've been about $40. Read/watch a lot of reviews if you need to convince yourself to get it or not honestly.

Also you could totally do a team full of Goku, Vegeta, Frieza, etc if ya have enough cards. Here's an almost full Goku team(along with main character and Bardock) lol.
rVbWOh0.jpg

agc

Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I've found I have a hard time getting into card games, as I'm kind of dumb when it comes to deck-building but also especially when you have to keep buying new packs. How is Heroes on this front?

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Got it on the Switch and after playing about 8 hours of this, I'd say that this game is surprisingly fun and much better than I expected. You can definitely tell it's a 3DS up port from it's models, backgrounds and low quality textures but still, it's just fun to see all these DB characters in one game. It's goofy for the most part with the typical DB video game kinda story(ahhh new evil threat, here's every villian coming back but they're slightly different/new form, fight!) but if you like DB fan service of all sorts, this is basically it in spades. Always wanted to try these games and it's pretty fun and easy to understand but there "is" more complicated stuff for those who want to go more in depth with actual stat/effect/etc with all the different card combos and trust me, there's a TON. Also be warned that every voice is in Japanese for those who care about that.

Arcade Mode Sagas
fVeHOWm.jpg

Gameplay is basically stopping a meter at the highest level to attack/defend against the opponent with some extra stuff sprinkled in there to make it different like moving the analogue stick in a certain motion or wiggling it. There's 5 rounds of attacking and defending and who goes first depends on how strong your attacking team is which is determined by where you place your fighters at certain points on the board (4 areas on the board with 3 of them being orange Attack areas from strongest attack/more stamina usage to lower attack/lower stamina and then the bottom is the blue Support area where you regain stamina or do support skills). Every character has some sort of attack/support skill that activates at a certain time that makes for some fun and unexpecting moments that can change the tide of battle and when you get a good combo together, you'll feel like you hit a jackpot when your enemies health fully depletes by the end of Round 2. There's a shit ton of information I didn't talk about also but there's tutorials to make you understand it and it's not all that hard if you find something like Pokemon TCG or maybe Yu-Gi-Oh understandable.

Your attackers and where you place them determine your power level and turn. Watch your stamina though!
7RIVSiy.jpg

All in all, it's a gatcha Dragon Ball card game with characters from it's whole history with a TON fan service(or fanfic service lol) galore like SSJ Raditz, SSJ4 Gohan, movie characters, minor DBS characters from the last arc.... basically every character/form you could imagine honestly. I would say that those who think it's a bit to much at $60, it's completely understandable since it's a 3DS up port but there's no doubt that there's literally a shit ton of content in the game.....I've only unlocked 66 cards outta 1161. I haven't even scratched the surface of the game but outside of Story mode(only up to chapter 2 atm), you can make your own cards and missions and upload them online for people to play, there's local and online battles, an Arcade mode with a load of scenarios/Sagas(21 Sagas from what I counted but maybe more?) that has different challenges/missions to complete and also some Tournament mode called Hero Stadium....heck maybe even more stuff I don't know about lol.

SSJ Nappa.....lol
9QKEr17.jpg

Final thoughts is that it give me the feels of Dragon Ball Fusions(3DS) but in a card game form with it's same addictive gameplay that might get a bit repetitive later on but still fun for fans to enjoy. If you seen videos and thought "hey that looks pretty interesting/fun", you'll probably like enjoy it especially if you're a big DB fan like me but if you're on the fence, just wait for a price drop or something in the future since it IS a pretty steep price tag that should've been about $40. Read/watch a lot of reviews if you need to convince yourself to get it or not honestly.

Also you could totally do a team full of Goku, Vegeta, Frieza, etc if ya have enough cards. Here's an almost full Goku team(along with main character and Bardock) lol.
rVbWOh0.jpg

Fantastic post. I've been having a ton of fun with this game and I can't put it down. Surprisingly, I find the story really fun, which is something I could never say about Xenoverse tbh. Felt like it got in the way of the gameplay.

The fanservice is something I have always wanted full realized in a DB game. Gimme all the wacky shit like SSJ4 Bardock and Bebi Janemba. I like how none of the cool stuff is gated behind story progression. That's a huge plus for me.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Arcade Mode Sagas
fVeHOWm.jpg

7RIVSiy.jpg

SSJ Nappa.....lol
9QKEr17.jpg

rVbWOh0.jpg
I love crazy fan service in my DB games that this game seems to offer. Like you said though, I'm going to wait for a $40 price tag.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I posted my impressions in another thread, but Remapped88's post sums up the game much better. Only thing I disagree with is calling it a 3DS up-port which it isn't; from what I understand this is a different games from the SDBH ones released on 3DS and well, the PS2 graphics are a byproduct of it being based off an arcade game that's been using Budokai 3 models for like 15 years now haha.

But yeah the game is really, REALLY fun. I saw like 6 hours of my life disappear in front of me yesterday and it's all its fault. The gameplay loop is really addictive and I love how the character abilities and structure of the "fights" capture the hype of DB assp- uh, turntables perfectly; there's been times where I've been almost completely destroyed in the first two turns and still managed to turn things around thanks to planning my strategy correctly while building the deck, it's incredibly exciting and satisfactory.

Those alternate dimension versions of the story mode maps are so damn fun.
I've found I have a hard time getting into card games, as I'm kind of dumb when it comes to deck-building but also especially when you have to keep buying new packs. How is Heroes on this front?
Don't think of it as a traditional card game like YGO and Magic, this is more like a simplified round based RPG where your characters happen to be cards you collect. Decks only have 7 cards each so it's not hard to come up with strategies

Oct 25, 2017
I love card games and I'm interested in this, my only fear is the simplicity of the gameplay? is there actually some strategy involved or if you got a deck composed of SSR cards you can just attack with them all and win?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love card games and I'm interested in this, my only fear is the simplicity of the gameplay? is there actually some strategy involved or if you got a deck composed of SSR cards you can just attack with them all and win?
The game is relatively simple compared to traditional card games, but there is definitely depth to it. The game actually gives you early unlocks for some rare cards if you buy the Hero Edition but making a deck with 7 of those with no thought put into it will get you nowhere in the harder battles.

Stamina and card abilities (along with getting used to the primary QTE that decides how effective your attacks are and whether you block enemy ones or not) are very important, and there's three kind of cards, each with different balance between stamina, power and defense. Knowing how to balance these, how to manage stamina during gameplay and having a good synergy between your cards is the key to winning.

This balance is not only fun but makes pretty much all cards, no matter their rarity or power, useful, which means you won't only rely on SSJ4 and SS Blue characters. Some of my decks have stuff like a one star Majin Buu who powers up other characters when in support mode and a Krillin that makes QTEs easier for my characters when in support mode and grants me buffs (or debuffs the enemy party) once per fight when used as an attacker. It's a lot of fun to mess around with the huge array of cards available.

Oct 25, 2017
The game is relatively simple compared to traditional card games, but there is definitely depth to it. The game actually gives you early unlocks for some rare cards if you buy the Hero Edition but making a deck with 7 of those with no thought put into it will get you nowhere in the harder battles.

Stamina and card abilities (along with getting used to the primary QTE that decides how effective your attacks are and whether you block enemy ones or not) are very important, and there's three kind of cards, each with different balance between stamina, power and defense. Knowing how to balance these, how to manage stamina during gameplay and having a good synergy between your cards is the key to winning.

This balance is not only fun but makes pretty much all cards, no matter their rarity or power, useful, which means you won't only rely on SSJ4 and SS Blue characters. Some of my decks have stuff like a one star Majin Buu who powers up other characters when in support mode and a Krillin that makes QTEs easier for my characters when in support mode and grants me buffs (or debuffs the enemy party) once per fight when used as an attacker. It's a lot of fun to mess around with the huge array of cards available.
Good to hear that, thanks for the answer!

jak153

Oct 30, 2017
Im interested in trying out these heroes type games so would you guys recommend this game or dragon ball fusions

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really am not getting into the old Nozawa argument again, haha.
Im interested in trying out these heroes type games so would you guys recommend this game or dragon ball fusions
Heroes WM is really awesome and I'm enjoying it a lot, but IMO Fusions is straight up the best non fighting DB game in sooo long; that game is pure fun and a great celebration of the series.

They're very different games tho, but you can't really go wrong with either. I guess it depends of what's more appealing to you: an RPG with a unique but easy to understand combat system where you can customize your own DB character and go on adventures and recruiting tons of characters to combine and play as with Fusions, or a content packed and simple to understand yet deep card game with World Mission.

IMO Fusions has the edge when it comes to entertaining scenarios and character interactions... WM has some of it too but they aren't as amusing or meaty. WM has better challenge so far tho.

jak153

Oct 30, 2017
I really am not getting into the old Nozawa argument again, haha.

Heroes WM is really awesome and I'm enjoying it a lot, but IMO Fusions is straight up the best non fighting DB game in sooo long; that game is pure fun and a great celebration of the series.

They're very different games tho, but you can't really go wrong with either. I guess it depends of what's more appealing to you: an RPG with a unique but easy to understand combat system where you can customize your own DB character and go on adventures and recruiting tons of characters to combine and play as with Fusions, or a content packed and simple to understand yet deep card game with World Mission.

IMO Fusions has the edge when it comes to entertaining scenarios and character interactions... WM has some of it too but they aren't as amusing or meaty. WM has better challenge so far tho.
Thanks for the input I think ill go for fusions first since I like RPGs and haven't really played any card games before. Ill pick up World Mission later on

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buy or not buy ? I'm a big dragon ball sucker but I never played a card game

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I've played a bit of the previous game on 3DS and really enjoyed it, think I might get this. Shame it doesn't have as many cards as the 3ds one though, it had over 3000!

Last edited:

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game is fun. For Dbz fan it's really fun. But I find tutorial a bit underwhelming. Anyone has a good one ?

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested but I'd like to know more about how you unlock cards. How often do you get new cards ? Is it totally random ? Is there anything you can do if you want a specific card ? Are there any microtransactions involved and if so is the unlocking fair without them ?

EdgeWilder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested but I'd like to know more about how you unlock cards. How often do you get new cards ? Is it totally random ? Is there anything you can do if you want a specific card ? Are there any microtransactions involved and if so is the unlocking fair without them ?
You get cards from different sets. There's us about 14 sets divided into 3 different series. You can also check the cards that each set offers. You obtian cards by using tickets u can get gold tickets that guarantees you n ssr or higher. Spent my first 10 gold tickets, Was very pleased

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Game is fun. For Dbz fan it's really fun. But I find tutorial a bit underwhelming. Anyone has a good one ?
I tried looking online but honestly most of them miss little details. You're better off doing the 5 or so short tutorial missions at the Hero Lab once you get there in the beginning of Story Mode. It explains details a lot of tutorials online miss, such as hero energy being gained every time you add 3000 to your power level during games, etc; and those are vital.
One gacha ticket = one card. You get at least one ticket per fight in story mode, but most times you'll get two or three, and there's many bonus stages and stuff where you can get even more along with rare tickets as well (which are also rewards for battles sometimes. Basically you'll be getting cards constantly.

And no, there are no microtransactions.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I could see that this game has some depth, but sadly story mode has been too easy at the moment, unless there are harder battles after episode 2

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
I was highly tempted by this, but then when I compare the in game shots to the €60 price tag, meeeeehhhhhh. I'll pass. I was expecting it to be like €25 max.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Nice to see at least some people here finally playing it.

Have it since 5 whole days before the release and what I played so far was really fun and started to get some depths. Also just love the card collecting factor so so much. Have to find more time for this.

EdgeWilder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has this happened to anyone else? Was playing a mission in chapter 3, it was a s.boss. anyways on 4th round I had boss cornered. Then suddenly a random event triggered beerus appeared and nuked me n the earth for 99999 damage. The hell...

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any difference between « attack » area ? First , 2nd line and so on ...

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tfw you pull three repeats in a row with rare tickets but get SSJ4 Bardock and SSJ4 Broly with regular ones right after.
I could see that this game has some depth, but sadly story mode has been too easy at the moment, unless there are harder battles after episode 2
Have you been playing the alternate versions of maps too? There are portals with specific requirements to open them that lead you to harder versions of story maps. That's where I've been having the most fun; though yeah, if that's not enough there's always arcade mode, which is kinda brutal lol.
Is there any difference between « attack » area ? First , 2nd line and so on ...
The higher you place your characters the stronger their attacks, but the more stamine they consume that turn as well.