• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa

So in case you missed what Made in Abyss was, SEW is here to catch you up in what is probably the unexpected break out hit of 2017.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic anime.

As someone who's a big SEW fan, I recommend not actually watching these videos if you haven't seen the anime because while they're meant to give you reasons to watch something, they do end up showing way too much stuff.

If you're the kind of person who likes going into stuff blind and you trust SEW, then just take the fact that he posted the video as a sign that you should watch that anime and go watch the video when you've seen the anime.

JC Lately

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How long is it? Can it be marathoned in a single 7 day Anime Strike free trial?

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
I found it only decent until the final stretch where it really elevates itself. So if someone doesn't feel the earlier episodes, they might get an insufficient impression.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found it only decent until the final stretch where it really elevates itself. So if someone doesn't feel the earlier episodes, they might get an insufficient impression.
Haven't watched much yet but it does start out very soft and normal.

12 episodes that last 24 minutes
Final episode is 45ish minutes

Can be reasonably watched in a single day without even being the only thing you do that day.
Honestly, cut off 3 minutes for OP and ED and you are at 21 minutes per episode. I always recommend to skip OP and ED until you finished an Anime as it can be spoilery regarding story, characters, good/evil, etc. .
Also, most Anime are best if you binge watch them and roughly 5hrs 45 minutes isn't that much longer then a long movie. Of course there are longer Anime that make this more difficult. =P

Also, don't watch the video, period!!!
It might suggest you stuff with scenes you don't want to see yet. I speak from experience here. =_=

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Love the design of the landscapes and monsters, but dislike the moe character design. That's too bad.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Took me a bit getting over the characterdesign but it was a fun series to binge.
It's funny cause I've been watching it around me getting into Etrian Odyssey V and the anime and that game share a lot of vibes I feel like although EO is of course a lot more light hearted.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
in three episodes it only started to go anywhere, so i got bored and tuned out

was not interested in waiting that long and i figured the best it was going to be was just okay, so i stopped watching

im sure it isnt bad but it doesnt seem amazing

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
Take your absolute fondest memories of 16/32-biy jrpgs, and attach them to a genuinely intriguing and emotionally resonate story and you've got a real sparkling gem.

If any of this appeals to you, go in blind and confident that it's short but still builds to a satisfyingly impactful ending.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic show, brought down by some really creepy pedo shit in a few episodes.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
in three episodes it only started to go anywhere, so i got bored and tuned out

was not interested in waiting that long and i figured the best it was going to be was just okay, so i stopped watching

im sure it isnt bad but it doesnt seem amazing
General rule of thumb is that most Anime take a big turn in episode 3 or shortly after. Given that a lot are 12/13 episodes long that makes sense.
Sneakily grabbed that from Animegataris. xD

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Made in Abyss was quite possibly one of the most frustrating anime experiences I ever had. Watched the first two episodes and really liked the entire production, from the visuals to the soundtrack and the story.

Then I made the mistake of checking out the manga, just to see how the anime compared, and unfortunately found out that the author has a giant fetish for torturing naked children (which happens in the very first chapter of the manga no less, the one that's supposed to draw you in). The anime did tone down this aspect in the beginning, but after reading the manga I really had no interest in seeing just how bad it would get.

And seeing some impressions from other people, it apparently gets pretty bad in the anime too later on.

A giant shame too, since clearly a lot of talent and hard work has been put into it.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing show that I can't recommend in good conscience due to how creepy it can be regarding the two main characters who are kids. Author definitely has some kind of fetish.

There's the usual "It has fanservice" caveat to note when recommending something, and then there's... this.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
General rule of thumb is that most Anime take a big turn in episode 3 or shortly after. Given that a lot are 12/13 episodes long that makes sense.
Sneakily grabbed that from Animegataris. xD
yeah theres a reason why i dont like anime a lot of the time, because that kind of thing usually feels unearned. rarely have i watched an anime in recent times where by episode 3 i actually feel interested and intrigued in the characters or world. i just need to be given a motivation to watch what is going to happen to the characters and i think that a lot of writers just kind of phone it in. that being said i dont try a lot of anime so its not like i have the most informed opinion

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
The anime made me read the manga.. so depressing
Spoiler for manga below
The loli cartridge though :(

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah theres a reason why i dont like anime a lot of the time, because that kind of thing usually feels unearned. rarely have i watched an anime in recent times where by episode 3 i actually feel interested and intrigued in the characters or world. i just need to be given a motivation to watch what is going to happen to the characters and i think that a lot of writers just kind of phone it in. that being said i dont try a lot of anime so its not like i have the most informed opinion
I can understand that some people stop before that if it doesn't draw them in. I generally watch almost anything outside a few exceptions. Therefore I sometimes think that people judge an Anime to early, especially if it has more episodes. Some Anime are 25 or longer and the first 3 episodes most of the time give you characters and a first, light story hook. You always need to look at the number of episodes you watched in comparison to total episodes it has. Just imagine someone doesn't like Gintama because of 3 episodes when the series has like 500 or something where a lot of arcs are independent on top of it.
It feeling unearned depends on what you are looking for and what you personally consider a to big of a leap in terms of story. Obviously there are Anime where the story is pretty bad, but there are also Anime that have an amazing story that draws you in. I would compare it to a book, both are stories and both can either bore you or draw you in.
Maybe it is beneficial for you to watch the OP and ED of a show to get more information that keeps you engaged longer. I personally do that only after I finished it because it contains spoilers for me, but some may like to see what they can expect in terms of characters, etc. .

My decision to view something comes down to Cover Art and rough story. Sometimes just the rough story details. The less information I have the better because it keeps surprises during the show alive. Therefore I will watch it depending on my mood and if it does not fall into the genres I don't watch, like Yaoi or NTR and maybe some horror shows. Outside of that I watch everything depending on if I want a happy show or something more mature and serious.

Well, not everybody likes every genre and that is okay.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
It was a really good anime. I've recommended the show to everyone that watches anime.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
The anime that I knew nothing about and decided to give it ago. Fantastic anime! Now I read the manga

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Know this is kind of a necrobump, but I finally got around to watching Made in Abyss (I'm 2 and a half from the end, I think). And I just wanted to say something I had not seen in any of the positive press about this show (like this vid) before I gave it a try. This isn't plot related, just something about the show in general, but in case you're sensitive to that stuff, I'll put it in spoilers.

I like a whole lot about this show except for the excessive nudity and sexually suggestive situations it puts the children in every single episode. Especially when they're supposed to be 12 but are drawn and voices like they're 7. It's frankly disgusting. And rather illuminating about the author/artist of the original manga, in my opinion.

I keep watching because the mysteries of the world and characters are fascinating, but I get so pissed every time they subject the viewer to a completely unnecessary scene of children presented in a way seemingly meant to titillate the audience.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Made in Abyss was quite possibly one of the most frustrating anime experiences I ever had. Watched the first two episodes and really liked the entire production, from the visuals to the soundtrack and the story.

Then I made the mistake of checking out the manga, just to see how the anime compared, and unfortunately found out that the author has a giant fetish for torturing naked children (which happens in the very first chapter of the manga no less, the one that's supposed to draw you in). The anime did tone down this aspect in the beginning, but after reading the manga I really had no interest in seeing just how bad it would get.

And seeing some impressions from other people, it apparently gets pretty bad in the anime too later on.

A giant shame too, since clearly a lot of talent and hard work has been put into it.
The rest of the anime isn't nearly as bad as the manga, but yeah it's super disappointing. After finishing the anime it made me want to read the manga and see where the story goes next, but the amount of loli bait is just such a huge turn-off.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Know this is kind of a necrobump, but I finally got around to watching Made in Abyss (I'm 2 and a half from the end, I think). And I just wanted to say something I had not seen in any of the positive press about this show (like this vid) before I gave it a try. This isn't plot related, just something about the show in general, but in case you're sensitive to that stuff, I'll put it in spoilers.

I like a whole lot about this show except for the excessive nudity and sexually suggestive situations it puts the children in every single episode. Especially when they're supposed to be 12 but are drawn and voices like they're 7. It's frankly disgusting. And rather illuminating about the author/artist of the original manga, in my opinion.

I keep watching because the mysteries of the world and characters are fascinating, but I get so pissed every time they subject the viewer to a completely unnecessary scene of children presented in a way seemingly meant to titillate the audience.
A recent chapter of the webcomic has far far worse than anything in the show. I already disliked it in the show, but barely tolerated it. Knowing the webcomic goes as far as it does... My interest is gone. I went and read it after hearing about it. I don't recommend following me down that shithole.

A description of two scenes. It's bad and gross, for real.
What appear to be at the very least a tentacle licking Riko's... well. It's a weird toilet with a tentacle pointing straight up from where she was sitting. She also makes a sound like "oh that felt good" with one of those faces.

Then, not long after, she has her shirt ripped off while tentacles attack her and force her mouth open.

AKA fuck this show. She's a fucking kid. Ugh.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
A recent chapter of the webcomic has far far worse than anything in the show. I already disliked it in the show, but barely tolerated it. Knowing the webcomic goes as far as it does... My interest is gone. I went and read it after hearing about it. I don't recommend following me down that shithole.

A description of two scenes. It's bad and gross, for real.
What appear to be at the very least a tentacle licking Riko's... well. It's a weird toilet with a tentacle pointing straight up from where she was sitting. She also makes a sound like "oh that felt good" with one of those faces.

Then, not long after, she has her shirt ripped off while tentacles attack her and force her mouth open.

AKA fuck this show. She's a fucking kid. Ugh.

Jesus. Fucking repulsive. As the show always says: "irredeemable".

If the anime is considered highly toned down from shit like that, I can hardly imagine how much worse the manga will continue to be as the creator gets positive reinforcement for that kind of material.

I just finished the season and as much as I really want to know what happens next... I'm not sure if I'd watch a second season. Especially if the source material only gets worse with the pedophilia stuff.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Well... I saw this video, had a mild interest but didn't have the time for much TV so I just stuck with Dragon Ball Super, & now that DBS is ending, well... My interest in this series has cratered.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
The only major problem with the series is that it doesn't have an ending and because there is so little material to adapt, the only way we'll see a continuation is if the anime is put on hiatus for several years or the anime just diverges from the manga (which would be a mistake IMO).

I'm still of the opinion that a manga/light novel should never be adapted until it's finished.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Well... I saw this video, had a mild interest but didn't have the time for much TV so I just stuck with Dragon Ball Super, & now that DBS is ending, well... My interest in this series has cratered.

If it weren't for that stuff it would be so easy to recommend. You could still watch it if you wanted but, like... viewer beware, I guess. There's at least something every episode.

Oct 27, 2017
So just watched and this is basically Terraria The Anime.

But I loved it! The show starts off light and fluffy and ends up super heavy by the end. I really loved how they raised the stakes for the show and made going into the abyss feel really dangerous. The first half of the show overplays how dangerous the abyss is only for the characters not to have any real trouble. It's the last 4-5 episodes that the shit finally hits the fan and the stakes get really high. The last episode is fantastic character work (among the best I've seen in the last year) reminiscent of some of the darker episodes of Full Metal Alchemist (and Brotherhood). Tears were definitely shed.

The world building is definitely something else that should get a nod. For an anime that is so focused on location, the environments and wildlife in Made in Abyss are stunningly unique. Time after time there's always something new (and beautiful) to behold and the sense of looming danger behind ever shadow and bush really make the world feel alive in a way that many other shows and movies don't. In that way, it kind of reminds me of something like Spirited Away where we don't know exactly what we're going to see next and it makes the series that much easier to binge.

I hear a second season's been announced so I'm definitely looking forward to it. Might wait for it to end so I can watch it all together and binge through it a second time. Can't wait!

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
I thought a lot of the middle was pretty average to not great. It's really the first parts and the last parts of the anime that are good.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
show has some great artwork, music and setting. Super Eyepatch Wolfs video is what got me to watch it, since the character designs looked really unappealing. The mangaka has some really nice artwork on his pixiv, but he really seemed to enjoy drawing very young characters, and some of the scenes in the anime were really unecessary and creepy.
If you suspected the dude was into that kind of thing, well hes not even trying to hide it, since his bookmarked favourites on pixiv include r18 images of similar aged characters having sex etc so it feels like a miracle that this adaptation had so much legitimate talent poured into it.

also the main girl is fucking obnoxious and happy no matter what happens and it just killed my suspension of disbelief for most of it. The last few episodes were easily the best.

Last edited:

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I just finished the first season of this and yeah, I was creeped out throughout by how the author was portraying kids and end of the last episode being a hot spring with "adult situations" was just too far for me. It's a shame because the soundtrack is really good and the premise is very PS1-era JRPG, like Azure Dreams or something, but the author is very obviously a (closeted?) pedophile.

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished this series and... wow. Never have I watched an anime that so perfectly encapsulated both everything I love and hate about anime. It's got great world building, high contrast of lighthearted and deadly serious moments, a fantastic premise, and so much mystery.. But then it's also filled to the brim with fetish bait and has dumb moe blobs as protagonists.

It's really unfortunate that the frequent use of sexual humiliation as a punishment is a reoccurring joke throughout the series. That and the final hot springs scene both left me completely conflicted on the series as a whole. The final episode left me completely shaken and emotionally drained in a way I haven't felt in years, but for all that to then be followed by a completely unnecessary 'what's your penis doing?' joke... So frustrating.

I'm, like, eagerly awaiting the next season, but I still don't know if this is a show I could recommend. It's so damn... problematic. Maybe someone will make a cut down that features far less conversation about a prepubescent boy's 'real balls.' That'll be the version I point others to.

brokenmachine

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When this video came out I decided to just read the manga instead. I really wanted to see the environmental art.

He wasn't kidding about the questionable material in the manga though...

However I'd still recommend that people check it out.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
id recommend the anime over the manga for the soundtrack alone. That and the balloon sequence at the end wasn't in the manga :)

yeah, this is why I'm skipping it

i'll spend my time watching some other good show that doesn't contain all that bullshit.

it's 2018, it's not like it's hard to find high quality entertainment to watch, why subject myself that that sort of sick shit?

even with the unnecessary scenes it was still easily the best show of the year

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing show that I can't recommend in good conscience due to how creepy it can be regarding the two main characters who are kids. Author definitely has some kind of fetish.

There's the usual "It has fanservice" caveat to note when recommending something, and then there's... this.

i'll spend my time watching some other good show that doesn't contain all that bullshit.

it's 2018, it's not like it's hard to find high quality entertainment to watch, why subject myself that that sort of sick shit?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I heard there are questionable pedo scenes and stuff. Why is there a person boosting this, then? Like, you immediately get the side eye for that.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yup, good call. Try Land of the Lustrous if you haven't watched that yet.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've heard good things about it, I just wish the visuals weren't the worst goddamn thing ever.
If we're specifically talking about the general artstyle adapted

Normally I'm happy to pick on adorable art styles as well, but in this case, Akihito Tsukushi is a goddamn visionary who knows what he's doing:

__original_pixiv_and_pixiv_festa_drawn_by_tsukushi_akihito__sample-d0b5001cb2e880a84d3a2b381e974180.jpg

6003014850-1.jpg

He has a good grasp of human anatomy, environment art, framing, and an great knowledge of 3D shape and perspective.
Made in Abyss is a very pretty comic even if adorable anime art styles ain't your thing.

If we're just talking the anime then... it's polished and pretty but yeah it looks like anime.

I heard there are questionable pedo scenes and stuff. Why is there a person boosting this, then? Like, you immediately get the side eye for that.

Why an adult would draw that is strange and any excuse is still dubious at best. From the perspective of the kids, I think it's vaguely plausible for them to pull dumb pranks on each other, but yeah why include most of it at all.

It's also one of those tough things where I literally adore almost everything else about the comic.

I feel like it's way too we gotta look the other way on certain things; which is usually what I gotta do for games doing a lot of dumb shit.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if you can say "looks like anime" as if thats a bad thing. Especially when its brought to life (as mentioned in OPs video) by Osamu Masuyama as art director, and Kevin Penkins work on the OST was phenomenal.
They also omit and rearranged scenes to better fit the animated format which is a lot better than just doing a 1 for 1 adaptation.

I also don't see them putting certain manga scenes in the anime, thankfully

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
because it's anime and the anime fandom has become desensitized to this kind of bullshit

You're spot on. If there was another place I could go for quality genre I'd be there in a heartbeat. Sadly, the west still doesn't have the money or desire to pursue stories or universes like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.