• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Fresh from his victory over Jinx, Lucky is looking forward to a day off but the Book of Ages has other plans. Lucky is once again sucked in, this time emerging in a tropical paradise known as Gilly Island. Despite its beauty, it's quickly apparent that something strange is happening on Gilly Island. Lucky learns that singer Lady Meowmalade has hijacked the island to throw the greatest party ever seen as she celebrates the release of her latest single. Now, Lucky must rescue the island and its vacationers from Meowmalade's chaos before it ruins their fun and ultimately wrecks havoc to all the worlds within the Book of Ages.

The expansion contains something for new and returning players because it's filled with classic platforming challenges, mind-bending puzzles, mysterious foxholes, and treacherous obstacle courses. You also meet many new and old characters as you burrow your way across levels.

gilly%20land%20store%20listing%20proof.jpg

gillys%20island.jpeg

gilly%20island%202.jpeg

Credits to WindowsCentral for finding this information: https://m.windowscentral.com/xbox-a...uckys-tale-gets-unexpected-tropical-expansion

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How do microtransactions/DLC work for gamepass games? If the game gets removed do you lose your stuff or do you get to keep it with a view to being able to access it all again once you buy the game?

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
How do microtransactions/DLC work for gamepass games? If the game gets removed do you lose your stuff or do you get to keep it with a view to being able to access it all again once you buy the game?
Super Lucky's Tale won't be removed from Game Pass. From what Microsoft has said, all first party games will stay on Game Pass and not be rotated out like the other third party games.

However in general, if a game gets removed (which won't happen with first party), you will have that DLC still just not the game. You get a discount on buying games while they are in Game Pass as well.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

You keep it, you just can't obviously play dlc without having the game but as soon as you buy it it's there

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
All that Game Pass (and GwG) do is give you a temporary license. If you buy any additional content, you get a permanent license for that.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I assume it's the latter.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Would love to see impressions of this, wonder how long it is?

But they certainly kept this quiet, that's come out of nowhere.
It's the latter.
Super Lucky's Tale won't be removed from Game Pass. From what Microsoft has said, all first party games will stay on Game Pass and not be rotated out like the other third party games.
They were actually a little more cryptic than that, but that's probably only to allow them a little bit of wiggle room in case of licensing issues etc - eg when Forza hits GP it can never be permanent because the car licenses will expire at some point. The reality is that first party games are basically their 'Netflix Originals' so they will want to keep them on the service permanently to continue to attract subscribers.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Thats good to hear if true.

You keep it, you just can't obviously play dlc without having the game but as soon as you buy it it's there

Ok cool, makes sense.

I'm gonna dual boot Win10 once I get a new SSD later this month, all to try a few of the gamepass games out (this being one of them). Don't see why not. Hopefully doing a clean install on a fresh drive will eradicate the issues I faced last time.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Great game! Super fun platformer.

I really need to say though ... I don't always quite get the core gaming community. There is so much public demand and voice for more platform games, Banjo and so on. And when the system finally gets a really competent platformer - suddenly no one bats an eye. It makes me sad.

Don't sleep on the game. It's fun and has good platforming elements.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's cheap, but it's so strange the way they handled this. Her island was definitely cut from the main game and they just shoved her in some levels from another char.

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
That sure looks like Donkey Kong Country Returns huh

I know their game designer is the same but...

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Would love to see impressions of this, wonder how long it is?

But they certainly kept this quiet, that's come out of nowhere.

It's the latter.

They were actually a little more cryptic than that, but that's probably only to allow them a little bit of wiggle room in case of licensing issues etc - eg when Forza hits GP it can never be permanent because the car licenses will expire at some point. The reality is that first party games are basically their 'Netflix Originals' so they will want to keep them on the service permanently to continue to attract subscribers.

Ybarra was far less cryptic on Twitter the other day. All but confirmed first party stuff will stay on.

Will definitely grab this dlc though. Seems neat. Loved Lucky's Tale.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I really need to say though ... I don't always quite get the core gaming community. There is so much public demand and voice for more platform games, Banjo and so on. And when the system finally gets a really competent platformer - suddenly no one bats an eye. It makes me sad.

It's less that no one bats an eye and more that this game just wasn't anything worth noting. A Hat in Time was though, and so was Mario, and both got their due praise.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I believe the wording of MS states that games from Microsoft Studios are permanently gonna be there. It's weird but I do believe that SLT is gonna be there.

What a shadow drop on the day it goes to GamePass. Lol. That's where the money is.

Nov 18, 2017
just bought this with my xbox on friday :/ shoulda waited I couldve gladly waited a week knowing it was coming to gamepass.

for some reason I didnt think it was first party as i remember lucky being an Oculus title originally but well thats my mistake.

The game seems alright from the few hours ive played, gorgeous on the one X but hard to get excited over, its kinda out shined by a Hat in Time and obviously Mario. Ideal kids game but hard to recommend to anyone over the age of 10, even platforming veterans would be better off spending their money on a hat in time for the xbox instead.

Decent price for this expansion, I'll wait until i finish the main game before deciding whether or not I want to spend more time with lucky.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely loved the first game on Oculus. Just downloaded this on Game Pass to try it out. Lovely N64 era style platformer with really charming art style and visuals. Will definitely grab the DLC if I like SLT as much as the first game.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Wow, wasn't execting that. This and the rumoured sequel are both surprises since the game didn't do that well (did it?).

peepers

Dec 10, 2017
Biscay
I'm probably going to buy this game but something tells me there's going to be a complete edition sometime in the future.

Edit: missed the Game Pass news. Game Pass it is, then :)

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A matter of opinion, and many of us wouldn't agree with yours.

Of course, but even you yourself only called it decent, and I agree with that sentiment. A Hat in Time was exceptional, and got its due as such, but this game was mostly decent and that's all. Metacritic seems to agree, with its critic and user score both being below 7.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Of course it gets one. This will always happen with games that are (released) in Battle Pass from now on. This here at least seems like a new made expansion but you can bet your ass that we will have the "cut out content for exclusive pre order dlc" discussion all over again in the future, just with Game Pass DLC stuff instead.
They have to monetize them somehow.

Last edited:

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Of course, but even you yourself only called it decent, and I agree with that sentiment. A Hat in Time was exceptional, and got its due as such, but this game was mostly decent and that's all. Metacritic seems to agree, with its critic and user score both being below 7.

Sure, all I'm saying is that it doesn't deserve to be outright ignored, especially by prople on platforms where Super Mario Odyssey is not available. Super Lucky's Tale is also cheaper than both those games (and it's also on Game Pass, and on sale at the moment), so it offers a good amount of fun for the price.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I can bring myself to buy this.

I thought the base game started off alright, but by the end I really grew to disliking it. Most of the level design was rather bland, and at times frustrating to play.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Of course it gets one. This will always happen with games that are (released) in Battle Pass from now on. This here at least seems like a new made expansion but you can bet your ass that we will have the "cut out content for exclusive pre order dlc" discussion all over again in the future, just with Battle Pass DLC stuff instead.
They have to monetize them somehow.

What's Battle Pass?

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I saw it downloading a patch last night and was hoping it was a performance patch. Now it makes sense. Some areas run pretty crappy, but overall it's a fun game with a lot of charm.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good timing there, with Super Lucky's Tale finally on Game Pass for everyone to try I'm sure many will want to play more. I haven't played the game yet but it looks like something I'll enjoy, so a properly priced DLC like that is something I'll likely pick up.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
Hey I'll take any expansion for this game, especially an island themed one.

On the whole I've been enjoying the return to fun simple platformers like Super Lucky's Tale and Skylar & Plux so I'm happy.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

Eh, its an average platformer, like Banjo.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Surprised there's more content since the original game was not good enough to be worth me buying DLC for it. Maybe if they added something for free in an update to make the coins worthwhile.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I had originally cancelled my pre-order for Super Lucky's Tale after reading over a bunch of the reviews, but it was still something I wanted to play. A family member who has, shall we say, a stressful life picked it up and was really enjoying it. It's very traditional, to a point where some would consider it a fault, but I think I'm going to enjoy it.

Having it come to Gamepass was great news for me, and I'm likely to grab this expansion too.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This seems like the perfect game pass title, I hope that the game isn't too long

Tsukinopio

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
$4.99 for a new world is not terrible. I enjoyed the full game, so I'll probably give this a try.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'll be honest, I've only played 2 levels in this game on GamePass and I already feel like the £5 is a small drop in the bucket for the small charm this game has.

Great way to get some money from GamePass users who try the game and enjoy it.