• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
Opencritic -68
Metacritic - 66

Game Revolution - 8/10
If you are an Xbox One owner that has been starving for a worthwhile 3D platformer, Super Lucky's Tale is for you. The graphics and characters are charming and goofy, while the mix between 2D and 3D levels are varied enough that you will never feel like you are doing the same thing twice.

Almost every moment of Super Lucky's Tale allows for the pure joy of platforming when you aren't annoyed by its limited camera. It's worth noting that the main game is extremely short to beat, but there are enough optional levels, puzzles and collectables to complete that will easily double or even triple your time with it.

Hardcore Gamer - 8/10

Super Lucky's Tale is a fine 3D platformer. It blends in more types of platforming than most entries in the genre and keeps the collect-a-thon to a minimum. The core of the game is platforming and that keeps the pace of the action fairly fast. There's always something to do here and it's usually fun. The biggest flaw is that it fails to leave a major impression despite getting most things right on a point-by-point basis. It controls well outside of some camera issues and looks gorgeous. The sound design is impressive, while the soundtrack leaves a bit to be desired. The overall game isn't a classic, but everything is done well and there isn't much outright wrong with it.

Darkstation - 8/10

Despite some dubious gameplay design (failed mini-games can't be replayed without restarting the whole sub-level) and problems with the fixed-camera position sometimes obscuring jumps, Super Lucky's Tale is a solid platformer. It honors the tried and true genre clichés and for a mid-priced game, it doesn't even need to present anything entirely new. While it's not the killer app Microsoft's new beefed-up Xbox will need, it's wholesome family entertainment. The positive attitude of Super Lucky's Tale is a big winner here, lifting the game up whenever the gameplay might tread along beaten paths.

The Sixth Axis - 7/10

With a touch of the old school platforming genre, you begin with five lives, each with three hearts. In each level you might be able to earn extra hearts or lives, but if you repeatedly die you're packed off to the start of the level again, stripped of any progress whatsoever. It's a very old school approach for what looks and feels like a children's game, and it's deeply annoying to have made your way through all of the challenges and found the hidden pick-ups, only to fall at the final hurdle and have to do it all again.

Destructoid - 7/10

Despite all of the minor gameplay upgrades in Super Lucky's Tale, I actually had a better time playing as Lucky in VR last year. It was really cool to be able to "peek" around things and control the camera yourself, and despite all of the claims that "platformers don't benefit from VR" I couldn't disagree more. If stripping that is what Playful Corp needs to do to reach a bigger audience so be it, but a version with optional VR would have been ideal.

Press Start - 7/10

Super Lucky's Tale is a marked improvement on it's predecessor and a competent love letter to the great platformers of the 90s. The controls feel great, the level variety is strong, and the game feels appropriately priced for what you get. It'll never compete with the likes of Mario, Banjo and Donkey Kong, but it's certainly several steps (or jumps) in the right direction. Worth a shot, especially for the younger crowd. Just beware of the difficulty spikes

Cogconnected - 69/100

I liked Super Lucky's Tale for its cute charm and textbook platforming, I just wished I would have been more challenged throughout the adventure. The lack of difficulty really pulled me out of the adventure, as it's hard to stay engaged when I know nothing is really going to test me. The easiness isn't entirely bad, as it means this game can serve as a perfect "first game ever" for the younger folks among us, but seasoned pros of platformers aren't going to be fulfilled here. Super Lucky's Tale is platforming without peril and fun without frustration, which will be both a blessing and a curse for those who jump in.

New Game Network - 65/100

With the delay of Crackdown 3, Super Lucky's Tale has been left a bit awkwardly as the sole brand new release to go with the Xbox One X launch. It's a nice looking game, but not exactly one that you'd use to showcase the new console's potential. You may also be weary because you may have heard of the original Lucky's Tale, a bundled-in Oculus Rift launch game from 2016. But this new release has little to do with that VR version, and the shortcomings are very much its own doing. Lucky makes for a likeable kids hero that goes on a decently entertaining adventure across bright and whacky worlds, but inconsistencies in gameplay, lack of difficulty options, and a harsh gating of content will leave even adults occasionally annoyed at this tiny creature.

Gamespot - 6/10

Across all four of its worlds, Super Lucky's Tale doesn't stray far from its formula. It's consistently cute and full of smiles, but the breeziness of its atmosphere extends to its simple levels. It never builds upon itself or asks much of you, including the building blocks of a 3D mascot platformer without the feeling of accomplishment you get from learning and applying that knowledge to new challenges. It's easy to imagine how Super Lucky's Tale would be the highlight of a younger kid's weekend, but it has little to offer anyone looking for an enjoyably challenging 3D platformer.

Twinfinite - 6/10

If this sounds pretty grim so far, I want to back it up a little. Despite how negative I sound to this point, Super Lucky's Tale isn't a bad game. Everything about it is fine, adequate, and distinguished as an effort. If you have a desperate thirst for a 3D platformer on the Xbox One, though, might I suggest A Hat in Time instead? Did you play that already? How about Yooka-Laylee? That too? Then okay, go ahead and play Super Lucky's Tale. It'll scratch the itch without being offensively bad. Its simplicity compared to the other games I mentioned make it a good fit for children or first-time gamers, which is a value worth mentioning. It's just that Super Lucky's Tale doesn't really do anything to stand out, nor is anything executed that well in comparison to other recently released games you could play instead.

IGN - 5/10

Adding insult to injury, Super Lucky's Tale is also the exact worst-case scenario for the Xbox One X: instead of the turbocharged console making a good game better, it only makes it perform like it should. The framerate isn't quite smooth enough on the Xbox One S, while it's a flawless 60fps on the X.

It's all such a disappointment. I very much wanted to like Lucky, because the Xbox could use a decent answer to Nintendo in the 3D platformer genre. Unfortunately, Super Lucky's Tale definitely isn't it.

CG Magazine - 5/10

There's a running tally of coins collected in the overworld which can be used for absolutely nothing as there are no shops to spend them on, no extra levels to unlock, and no achievements linked to them. The same could be said for the total number of lives, as running out of them only takes you to the start of the level—with 5 fresh lives—instead of the previous checkpoint. I don't understand why coins or lives were included here, other than they are a carryover from other games in the genre, as they serve no real purpose aside from the 300 coin clover.

I wanted to love Super Lucky's Tale, but at the end of the game, I felt next to nothing. This is easily one of the most generic and forgettable games I've played in a very long time, which is a shame due to it being one of the only first party exclusives that Xbox released this year. Xbox players deserve better.

Last edited:

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Releasing a mediocre/average platformer right after Super Mario Odyssey probably wasn't the best idea.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
To the surprise of nearly no-one. First game was received rather poorly as well and at least had the VR as a crutch.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Some more positive reviews, some less positive.

Not sure you can really go wrong for £20 with what's in the OP

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I liked it a lot in VR. Without VR though, the same week Mario Odyssey releases, there's like a 20 years gameplay gap between the 2 titles. For kids I'd still buy it though.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but it's probably better than Sonic Forces and Bubsy at least...
Congratulations to this game for being able to step over a bar that's literally just lying on the floor.

Weird to be in the midst of what feels like a resurgence of "mediocre platformers". We went from a dead genre right back to the N64 aisle of a Blockbuster.

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested, its only £20 and I wasn't expecting 10/10.

It may only get 7/10 at most but I like how MS are actually trying to add more games in and taking risks.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it looked kinda cool at E3, but those scores after finishing Odyssey... yeah I'll pass.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's not bad per sé, but not very good either. Had my fun with it during the first half, despite it al being a bit bland and often somewhat frustrating (the camera can be shit, the level design somewhat obtuse and whoever tought it was a good idea to have the second plane in the 2,5D levels (where Lucky sometimes can jump to the background) so freaking small should really rethink his life choices. Taking out some enemies can be tough too, as the jumping is not really precise. It's not an issue with platforms, as those are generally big enough and forgiving, but aiming for the had of a little bee can be torture).

But then in the second half I noticed I needed 60 of 99 Clovers to unlock World 3 boss, while at that moment I had like 40ish. Which ment replaying levels for secrets, or trying annoying minigames, just to progress. That's some insane and terrible padding, which turned my off completely from the game.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
You're right, Bubsy's corpse is between the floor and that bar.

So you've played all 3 games, or is that hyperbole culture?

Why do people feel the need to shit on things so badly?

I bet Bubsy and Sonic aren't even that bad. Like, people told me MN09 was a shit pile yet the game was perfectly fine. I can't even take seriously anymore when people say a game sucks.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah releasing AFTER Odyssey was not a good move

Yooka Laylee switch will suffer the same fate

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's not bad per sé, but not very good either. Had my fun with it during the first half, despite it al being a bit bland and often somewhat frustrating (the camera can be shit, the level design somewhat obtuse and whoever tought it was a good idea to have the second plane in the 2,5D levels (where Lucky sometimes can jump to the background) so freaking small should really rethink his life choices. Taking out some enemies can be tough too, as the jumping is not really precise. It's not an issue with platforms, as those are generally big enough and forgiving, but aiming for the had of a little bee can be torture).

But then in the second half I noticed I needed 60 of 99 Clovers to unlock World 3 boss, while at that moment I had like 40ish. Which ment replaying levels for secrets, or trying annoying minigames, just to progress. That's some insane and terrible padding, which turned my off completely from the game.

You've unsold me on the game. Ah well, plenty of moons left.

Deleted member 62

Content removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
IDK why, but I thought this was a full retail game releasing in 2018 lol. Oh well, it may no be great, but I'm always in for some colorful platforming.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
We have a 5 and a 5.5, everything else is in the 6.5-8.0 range, which is fine by me. I never expected a Super Mario Odyssey killer. I will keep my preorder. It's also a 30€ game and one from a genre Microsoft usually does not offer anything in.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't understand people saying the game is garbage when 7 is still a good score. It's like if it's not 8 or up it's not worth anyone's time and it should just be dismissed as garbage.

I truly don't understand that kind of thought process. It's not going to be the best game in the world but for those interested a 7/10 is a pretty decent sign there's still a lot to enjoy in a game.

Seriously, some people act as if a 7/10 or even a 6/10 is as bad as a 3 or a 4. I really don't get it.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Seems good enough to me, but I love platformers and try to pick-up as much in the genre as possible.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And this is why the Double A industry died folks. Launch a cheaper game with less budget? "HOW DARE YOU! WERE IS MY VOICE ACTING! OOH THE CAMERA CONTROLS! DID YOU NOT TEST IT RAAAWWRRDIERAWR!".

I swear price should be part of the reviewscore. Not a big influence but in the total it should be able to add or remove .5 on a scale of ten.

So a lootbox invested shitefest like COD:WW2 (where Lootboxes now drop from the sky, and you paid 60 bucks? -.5 out of ten. Going from an 8 out of ten to a 7.5.

Something like Recore? Being a 6 out of 10 game? But not full price would get 6.3 out of ten, due to a better price even though it has bugs and that keeps the score lower. Full .5 out of ten should be reserved for really a lot of value for the money.

Oct 30, 2017
And remember those clovers? They're not so cute when you're forced to go back to old levels to hunt down almost all of them, because the boss fight of each world is locked behind absurdly high clover requirements; you'll need a whopping 80 of Super Lucky's Tale's 99 total clovers in order to fight the end boss. This makes Tale guilty of a severe case of artificially padding out the gameplay to get to the 8 or so hours I spent beating it.

Fuck. I hate this shit. Already pissed me off in Spyro 2 (or 3?).