• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Title_image.jpg

5 years ago today in Japan, the Wii U received it's one and only 3D Mario title. A follow up to the 3DS hit, Super Mario 3D Land. Come E3 2013, on Neogaf, it had one of the most divisive reactions any game had on that site. It was decried by many for being samey, safe and not being what many 3D Mario fans were hoping for.

Then, this fantastic trailer happened:

And then, many, and I mean many people were singing a much different tune.

The game then released to very rave reviews, praising the game's genius, creative level design, controls, and excellent soundtrack. The game went on to sell over 5 million copies.

And I fucking love this game. Everything about it, I love the 6 playable characters, I love the visuals, it has some of the most imaginative levels I've ever seen in a video game, co-op is some of the most fun I've ever had, the Super Bell is one of my favorite powerups in any Mario game, the Captain Toad levels were so good that they got their own game, and don't even get me started on that soundtrack. Big Band music is the fucking best. I very much hope it gets a second chance on Switch at some point. It's one of my favorite Mario games of all time. It's my second favorite game on the Wii U. I'd play this over 64 or Sunshine any day.

What say you, Era? What are you thoughts on 3D World? Favorite level/tracks?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
3D World was very good. Felt great to play and looked quite nice. Being built for multiplayer probably hurt the design but it's probably the best pure platforming 3D platformer out there

Shift to a big band jazz soundtrack was smart and it's now how Mario feels like it should sound. The bowser track with the saxophone is quite spectacular.

The game was rumored to be too short by one reviewers which I think hurt some sales, but it's actually quite lengthy. Just keeps going and going and going.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Utterly brilliant game. Blows most other platformers this gen out of the water. 10/10.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It's my absolute favourite of all the 3D Mario games. One of the best games Nintendo has made since the snes era.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be that guy and say I was keen on 3D World from its announcement. 3D Land was so good and this just took it so much further.

A second chance on Switch would be very welcome.

Oct 27, 2017
This was pretty much the start of the Wii U's amazing line up up until the end of 2014 (not discrediting the two good games that pretty much came out each year after that).

It's bizarre that it's been five years since then, this gen REALLY went by so fast.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's a great game

Don't ever trust the opinion of anyone who says it's not a real/true 3D Mario

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I honestly didn't like 3D World initially because of how much more I preferred Galaxy 2, but since Odyssey went in the complete opposite direction of what I like, I appreciate 3D World a lot more now. The first 8 worlds are not that interesting, but the "secret" ones are pretty fun, with the best being Champion's Road. I only wish the game had online co-op.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Worst 3D Mario by a landslide. Forgettable even by wii u standards. In fact actively harmed wii u sales

Veeboy

Oct 31, 2017
3D World is probably my favorite 3D mario. I prefer the level based platforming where each stage is be based around its own unique themes. The soundtrack was great and as you said it brought us the wonderful Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. The Wii U was just great for me personally in terms of platformers with this game, Tropical Freeze, and Wooly world.

I hope they port this to Switch eventually. They've already ported NSMB:U and Tropical Freeze so hopefully this is next!

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I was initially a 3D World skeptic because I didn't love 3D Land and didn't want to see its controls ported into 3D. But 4-player multiplayer turned out to be a game-changer for me (as I should have guessed, after NSMB Wii). I adore 3D World. My favorite stages are probably Champion's Road and pretty much anything with the Double Cherry.

StrikeJP

Oct 31, 2017
My 2nd favorite 3D Mario after Mario 64. Pretty sure I'd double dip if it comes to Switch.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
This game is so damn fun. I never was much of a fan of playing Mario 64/Galaxy, and 3D World felt much more my speed. Also, Meowser is the most absurd that Bowser has ever been in the best way.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
3D World is an amazingly polished game and an absolute joy to play, I would buy a Switch DX version with zero hesitation. Getting a perfect no-damage, no-suit run on Champion's Road with Mario is still one of my favorite gaming challenge accomplishments.

That was also the same day Link Between Worlds released, two incredible AAA first party titles on the same date, good times.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I look forward to the eventual Switch port with new characters. The stamps will be missed. Great game. Very tightly focused platforming.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
It was a huge disappointment personally after the magical Mario Galaxy.

Mario Galaxy is still my favorite Mario

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god and that fucking. Ice skate! Give me waaaay more of that. Just whole playgrounds with the various mechanics they made for that game.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
I remember to see it on E3 Direct and thinking "This isn't Galaxy 3".

In the end, it was better like that. It really opened a way to accept the different approach that 3D Land couldn't do it to me. Also Big Band soundtracks on Mario Games were cool.

I hope for a sequel with the same multiplayer component and online if possible.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
This is still the best 3D Mario Platformer. There are some that are close, but this still takes the crown.

Absolute perfection on level design and the only real gripe is the overpowered cat suit.

Fantastic game, would double dip in a heartbeat if it was ported to Switch.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
Great game, but for me it sits behind, odyssey, both galaxy games and 64.

It is also the only 3d mario game I didn't 100% I do hope they release it on switch so I can change that

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Funny you mentioned, I'm finally getting around to playing it this week (I'm way behind in my back catalog) and I'm absolutely loving it so far.

I've only reached world 4 but there's so much charm and there are some nice level designs. I tripped out at the cherry power up lol.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Love this game. Odyssey was a massive step back imo. I would love a Switch version.

Pascal

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I loved it to death. It was so full of charm and personality, the gameplay was great, and it looked gorgeous. Seriously, it was so nice to finally have a 3D Mario game in HD, and the wonderful artstyle just made everything that much more beautiful. Oh, and the soundtrack was awesome as well. 3D World is just a lovely game on all fronts and it's one of my favorite Mario games.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
It's the best 3D Mario by a long shot, followed by 3D Land, then Odyssey. The "3D" games are the best Mario since SMW2.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still waiting on my SMBUSA-inspired sequel that brings back Wart and the Frog Suit.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Easily the best 3D Mario. The constant variety of levels and ideas is outstanding.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was a fantastic ride for me. My biggest qualms were that it wasn't log enough XD. It's something I regularly pull out when little cousins are over

TOM 2

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost Planet Spaceship
Definitely a great one. It literally felt like the 3D version of Super Mario Bros. 3. I guess 3D Land did that to a point also, but this just nailed all of those nostalgic feels even more.

Kinglypuff

Nov 13, 2018
Didn't have the Wii U had a time, but a friend invited me over to play it with him. We ended up doing the whole game to completion over several days and it ended up being one of the most fun gaming experience ever.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
The clear emphasis on multiplayer took away some of the magic of the game, as I played it singleplayer.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I slept on this game for a long time. It looks like the ultimate generically dull Mario game from the outside.

When I actually played it, I realized I was wrong. It's colorful. Delightful. And the multiplayer mode made it one of my most cherished gaming memories playing with my girlfriend.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love this game to death, and still play it every now and then. I would love to see a Switch port in 1080p considering Nintendo is porting over just about everything else from the Wii U days.

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I hope Nintendo doesn't port this game.
WiiU should keep at least one big exclusive