• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
images

On this day in Japan, Mario's 3rd (technically 4th) big adventure hit the land of the rising sun, and the rest is history. Many believe Super Mario Bros. 3 to not only be the best game in the series, and not only the best Mario game ever released, at least in the 2D realm, but the best video game ever made. I don't personally fall into those camps, but I can't and will not ever deny that Super Mario Bros 3 is an absolute masterpiece. Masterfully designed from top to bottom, music that still hasn't left my mind, power ups galore. It introduced many series staples, including Boos, Chain Chomps, the world map feature, as well as finalizing the Mario Bros. designs. They got their blue overalls starting with this game, and they have remained in those outfits 30 years later. The effects of the game are still being felt today and it has never not been a top contender in "best game of all time" lists. There was a freaking movie made to advertise it, for fuck's sake. It remains one of Nintendo's most popular and important titles.

What say you guys? What do you think of SMB3 and the legacy it's left behind?

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It may not be the best Mario game or the best 2D platformer, but Super Mario Bros. 3 pretty much defines both.

Deleted member 46641

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 12, 2018
It might not be the best NES Mario, but it has an important legacy and impact. Throwaway Easter eggs in this game have been more impactful to the industry than entire developers in that era.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
The way in which Super Mario Bros was refined from 1 & Japanese 2, to 3 is absolutely incredible. And 3 isn't too far off 4/Super Mario World.

Plus I also watched this a couple of weeks ago.

wizard_SG00642_C.jpg

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I can't remember a time in my life where I didn't play this game. I think I was about 3 when my dad got the NES and this was my favourite of the games he had for it.

A run through nowadays is like the best homemade comfort food. So good. It may have been superseded by better platformers but it will always be my personal number 1.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GOAT 2D Super Mario game, one of the finest games ever too. It just has the perfect balance between items, it just feels and looks so great. I feel that the ones more focused on using Yoshi and abilities, while good, were less focused. SMB3 was basically the peak of the original Super Mario design, and in a way it's sad they failed to meaningfully update it in decades now.

Nov 8, 2017
I guess it must've been amazing when it came out, but I only played the SNES version in Super Mario All-Stars, at which point I'd already been spoiled by Super Mario World, so SMB3 never really felt special to me.

Also, I don't know if there's much difference between the two versions aside from visuals and audio?

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
It might not be the best NES Mario, but it has an important legacy and impact. Throwaway Easter eggs in this game have been more impactful to the industry than entire developers in that era.

In what universe is this not the best NES Mario game? I certainly don't want to visit that place.

It's better than SMW for me as well.

Would have been mind obliterating back in 1988. It certainly impressed me when I first saw it around 1990. It's also outrageous thinking about the level of progression from 1988 to 1998 in games... 2008 to 2018? Not so much.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Europe's release was about 3 years later, which was also about the time my cousin introduced me to the NES. I pretty much know the game as long as I know console gaming.

Didn't do a proper no-level-skip complete playthrough of the whole game until a few years ago. It was great, the game really holds up.

Also the Koopalings are great and I'm glad they were brought back

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking 'this cant be right, I was older then that when it came out in Canada' so I checked the release dates on Wiki and wow, talk about a localization delay:
  • JP: October 23, 1988
  • NA: February 12, 1990
  • PAL: August 29, 1991
This wouldnt fly these days for such a big first party title.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I was thinking 'this cant be right, I was older then that when it came out in Canada' so I checked the release dates on Wiki and wow, talk about a localization delay:

I remembered this a few weeks ago when looking up Pokemon's birthday. It's crazy just how far apart regional releases used to be vs where we're at now. A few days now seems like craziness.

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

Yeah, it's pretty insane they took this long with it but they wanted some space between Mario 2 USA and 3.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
For my money, still the greatest game ever made. As close to perfection as gaming can get. And still fun to play all these years later.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how the Wizard's "first" look at the game was after the Japanese release.

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
I knew a kid who had the import version pre-US release and he was going on about flying and turning into statues and stuff. No one believed him, but as we gradually all got over to his house to see it, it was true. Pretty mindblowing at the time, still a great game now.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Played through this again on Switch, still amazing <3 Limited myself to not using inventory items, damn that became a difficult stipulation come the latter worlds D: Might still to this day have one of the most difficult final worlds of any Mario, though ironically the final castle isn't too bad.

I'm still a Mario World guy at heart but this isn't far behind

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I still remember buying the game with my mom. Good times. Recently replayed it again and it's still just so damn good.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
And this was delayed for like a year and a half in the US... 1988, damn. What a masterpiece.

I'm not 100% sure but I heard like a decade ago that It was heavily delayed because there was a serious shortage of ROMs in 1988.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Never understood the love for it, to be honest.

Mario didn't get great until World.

Come on, that isn't true. A lot of what was seen in Super Mario Bros 3 was just further refined in World.

Mario could fly in 3, okay so he got an actual cape and flew like a superhero in World.
The levels were extended to play longer in World because memory restrictions made levels shorter in 3.
The Koopa Kids are all already there in 3, later expanded upon in World.
The world map was a flat 2D map later given a bit of 3D perspective in World.

World did bring Yoshi, a spare power up, Ghost Houses and other new elements. But most elements had already been there with 3.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
It's not my fav 2D Mario. It's not even my fav NES Mario. But it's insanely good, and its impact at the time can't be understated. It was a phenomenon.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
They need to decouple this classic from the Switch Online service and offer it as a buyable standalone game asap.

Jun 2, 2018
Northern Ireland
A classic. It may have been surpassed, but it is still a significant moment in this franchise. I think it might be better than Super Mario World, honestly.

It has brilliant replayability if you want that. It has a lot of secrets in it. World 8 is beast. That airship armada level was nerve shredding.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Best 2D platformer ever.

On another level entirely from Super Mario World (which is not top 3 2D Mario)

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Think I'll grab it off eshop for my 3ds in honor of the occasion. It's been light-years since I played it. And holy fuck this makes me feel old, thanks OP