• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like both the Metal Cap and Vanish Cap from 64 are just as mediocre and mostly useless.
At least the Metal Cap had badass music.

This has it beat imo
200px-Spring_Mario_Art_-_Super_Mario_Galaxy.png

I'll never understand some people's beef with this power up, I loved using it to bounce super high in the toy themed galaxy.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Its the secret hard mode, you are supposed to finish airships with it ;)

frogsuit_sm3_allstars.jpg
Wow. I never knew about this and I have beaten this game a lot of times.

I always LOVED getting the frog suit as a kid, for two reasons. One, it was probably the rarest power-up in the game. Two, it only started showing up in the later levels, so it felt exotic. I always hated losing it - it felt like I had lost a precious treasure.

But yeah, it kinda sucks.

DoubleYou

Oct 26, 2017
I'm always surprised by the hate the spring suit gets. I thought it was a real fun power-up that controlled great.

I remember as a kid being super hyped every time I got the frog suit. I wore it in non-water levels just because it looked cool.

ilfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always surprised by the hate the spring suit gets. I thought it was a real fun power-up that controlled great.

I remember as a kid being super hyped every time I got the frog suit. I wore it in non-water levels just because it looked cool.
I'd take the spring suit over the crowd favourite cloud suit any day.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The actual worst powerup is the Ice Flower from New Super Mario Bros. Wii

200px-Powerup-ice-flower-sm.png

2 reasons why:

1. Although it did appear in Partners in Time first, most people would probably be most familiar with this from Super Mario Galaxy, which turns you into a Mario made of Ice that can skate around over water and even lava. Plus the design of Ice Mario is really amazing. In contrast, all you get it Ice Fireballs (Because you really want to freeze minions instead of just remove minions, right?) and you just get a Blue Hat and Shirt, a pallette swap at best, and a lot lamer looking in comparison.
  2. In the rare instances where you actually want to use the ability to freeze enemies as platforms. The powerup does nothing the Penguin Suit can't already do.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
The actual worst powerup is the Ice Flower from New Super Mario Bros. Wii

200px-Powerup-ice-flower-sm.png

2 reasons why:

1. Although it did appear in Partners in Time first, most people would probably be most familiar with this from Super Mario Galaxy, which turns you into a Mario made of Ice that can skate around over water and even lava. Plus the design of Ice Mario is really amazing. In contrast, all you get it Ice Fireballs (Because you really want to freeze minions instead of just remove minions, right?) and you just get a Blue Hat and Shirt, a pallette swap at best, and a lot lamer looking in comparison.
  2. In the rare instances where you actually want to use the ability to freeze enemies as platforms. The powerup does nothing the Penguin Suit can't already do.
  1. While Galaxy's Ice Flower is a neat super situational gimmick that's hardly used, Ice Mario in the NSMB games is a legitimately balanced powerup that's a valid choice in many situations. One of the best things that people overlook about NSMBWii and NSMBU is how balanced the powerups are. Unlike past Mario games where 1 powerup was better than all the others (tail, cape) all of the powerups are very well balanced with each other.
    • Fire Flower: Can kill most enemies but some enemies are immune to fire.
    • Ice Flower: Can freeze most enemies, including ones that are immune to fire. Frozen enemies can be picked up and thrown as a projectile that slides along the ground like a shell. Frozen enemies can also be used as platforms and stuff.
    • Propeller Mushroom/Super Acorn: Gives limited flight/gliding ability that extends the height and distance of your jumps significantly and provides limited safety from falling, but has no increased offensive capabilities.
    • Mini Mushroom: You become very small light, allowing you to jump great distances, run up walls, bounce off enemies without killing them, and run on water but taking a hit is death.
  2. As noted in 1, occasions where you may want to use ice are not rare. Ice is especially useful in towers and castles where it is the only means of dealing with enemies like dry bones and podoboos. The Penguin Suit does trump it in the exact same way that the Tanooki Suit trumps the Super Leaf; and like the Tanooki Suit, Penguin Suits are fairly rare to come by in the main game.

Last edited: