• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The trailer is later today. Yall have 8 hours to get your hot takes out of yall's system.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
If that's real, then he has a wider, more chubbier expression. So basically a fat Plumber lol. It's a tad more human too.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
More leaks, regarding another character's appearance and the film's logo/title

1665050290534103.png

Peach and "The Super Mario Bros. Movie"
Peach seems to also have made the transition well, not surprising as she already had a very doll-like design.

Super interested to see how they do DK and Bowser.

ROMASS

One Winged Slayer
Oct 15, 2018
The weirdly proportioned arm, the barely visible collar, and his visible top teeth make it look weird. It doesn't look bad, but Mario's design is so ingrained in my mind that these changes are extremely noticeable.
His top teeth are often visible.
It's the lower teeth that's new

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Peach's face looks like the romantic interest in Despicable Me 2 minus the huge nose. I suppose it's the eyes.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Yeah people are crazy, that's the exact game design for Mario i think, except more details, but more details doesn't mean more realistic. He also gained more details with better hardware in the past with some hair details, jean texture etc..

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow! I look at Peach and all I can see is Anya Taylor-Joy.

/s

Secret Bambino

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 21, 2021
I don't know why, but I'm not much of a fan of literally calling it "The Super Mario Bros. Movie." It's alright, I guess.

Granted, they can't use "Super Mario Bros." because that's already taken by the 1993 movie, and would create some confusion.

But I'd be okay with just "Super Mario" or "Super Mario <Subtitle>". Similar to how the main 3D Mario games are called (Sunshine, Galaxy, Odyssey, 3D Land / World).

I'm being super pedantic here, I know. But I'm not overly serious about this, just discussing this for fun.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why, but I'm not much of a fan of literally calling it "The Super Mario Bros. Movie." It's alright, I guess.

Granted, they can't use "Super Mario Bros." because that's already taken by the 1993 movie, and would create some confusion.

But I'd be okay with just "Super Mario" or "Super Mario <Subtitle>". Similar to how the main 3D Mario games are called (Sunshine, Galaxy, Odyssey, 3D Land / World).

I'm being super pedantic here, I know. But I'm not overly serious about this, just discussing this for fun.

Lets just be happy they didn't call it "New Super Mario Bros." in avoiding having the same title as the live action movie.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I hope some of you have taken a clue from Mario in preparation for today's stream

59ee9cf14cae550b173b9d5e8b7c06776e8e55a8.gifv

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Remind me again why people hate on Illumination? Are Despicable Me and Minions really bad films or something? I've never seen either, but I did see some clips and it seemed like the animation was nice at least.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Remind me again why people hate on Illumination? Are Despicable Me and Minions really bad films or something? I've never seen either, but I did see some clips and it seemed like the animation was nice at least.

Despicable Me 1 was a good time, but basically everything they've done after has been mediocre fluff at best.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My first reaction:

Did they put a blonde wig on the main character from Tangled? Maybe it's the eyes, but I get Disney Princess vibes. Not saying that as a bad or good thing.
The eyes are too rounded, the nose is a bit more button-like, and the mouth doesn't have the typical ear-to-ear grin I associate with the Disney look. It's a lot more "cutesy", at least in this still imo.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Honestly they both look fine. A bit different but that's to be expected, I don't think the look of the movie should worry anyone

Mario looks more middle aged now, and chubbier. I think it's the moustache, it's less round

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I think the world will change forever today. This will be the best movie of all time and highest grossing, something like Titanic but double.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're not great films but their movies average like $700m at the box office.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Rapunzel is already blonde...

Also looks nothing like this.
latest

unknown.png

I dunno, looks more like Chris Pratt to me
Derp, maybe I'm thinking of someone else. That's on me for misremembering.

Either way, just like Mario, it's fine. A bit of "oh, that's different from what I'm used to seeing" shock, but the more I see it, the more okay I'm with it. Especially since I feel like the new designs will make it a little easier to accept the fact I'm gonna be hearing different voices coming out of them.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
There's no denying something is off, the regular Mario renders are so iconic.

It's a no from me but yeah, he's no ugly Sonic.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017

They make decent (sometimes good) films that are very crowd-pleasing to the mainstream masses. Meaning they have pretty simple plots, sometimes rely on basic/potty jokes, and use licensed songs. But their animation has always been some of the best.

My main concern was Illumination would straight up butcher the overall theme of the Mario like they did with the Grinch. But between Miyamoto's strong involvement and seeing the official poster plus the Mario/Peach leaks, most of my concerns have been put to rest.