• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
[/QUOTE]

guNaFW8.gif

cldb3wC.png

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3784/

Rom hack by Toruzz, coded from the ground up in ASM. Works on real hardware. Features:

- SML2 in full colour, just as if Nintendo had made a DX version themselves.
- Extra CPU of the GBC made full use of - no more signs of slowdown. As such, the game will only work on a Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance or Game Boy Player.
- Luigi playable with distinct physics.
- And more...

Apply the patch to a v1.0 Super Mario Land 2 rom using FLIPS.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of my favorite Mario games, and one I haven't played in a very long time. I have fond memories of playing this on my teal GBC, it would be fun to revisit.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's dope. I played Super Mario Land 2 dozens of times. Something like this should have been official!

OP
OP
Rich

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
Works great on my GBA via the Everdrive GB!

EdRnmFZ.jpg

UueXtj3.jpg

I'll give it a playthrough on this first then try it out on my GBC after. Fun times.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
This is awesome. I really love Super Mario Land 2; probably because I was so young and it was easier than any of the mainline games.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wanna try this with the everdrive I got for christmas, but a Super Mario Land 2 rom that's 1.0 seems near impossible to find on the internet er I mean a super mario land 2 cartridge copy that is 1.0 that I can legally dump

OP
OP
Rich

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
I wanna try this with the everdrive I got for christmas, but a Super Mario Land 2 rom that's 1.0 seems near impossible to find on the internet er I mean a super mario land 2 cartridge copy that is 1.0 that I can legally dump

1.0 is by far the most common. Avoid revs A and B. It's usually named "Europe/USA".

MrBrawl96

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone give me a quick, ELI5 on how to play this asap on my PC. This is by far my favorite video game ever and need it in me!

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Flood of memories watching that, the Halloween area with the umbrellas and Jason masks...

The Mario Land game sure were weird.

MrBrawl96

Oct 27, 2017
User was banned for this post (24h) - Piracy
Is there a Rom |OT| on Era yet? Need help finding this rom

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the games they remastered in color for the GBC I can't believe none of the Mario Lands were chosen. Unbelievable.

SML1 sold like hot cakes and I'm pretty sure even SML2 outsold Link's Awakening and yet the latter is the one that somehow got the color makeover.

OP
OP
Rich

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
Is there a Rom |OT| on Era yet? Need help finding this rom

Right, here's the thing:

Talking about emulation is legal. Emulation and rom patches are legal. As on the old site, discussing them and sharing said patches is fine.

However, what you are asking for is illegal and quite likely bannable here on top.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit offended that they removed Mario's feather that would appear on his cap when he had the Fire Flower powerup. I get that it was only used to differentiate when he had it since color differentiation wasn't a thing back then but here they just removed it in favor of the red and white overalls. Why not keep both, you guys!?

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, awesome. I love this game though i often kind of find myself playing through the first Land game more often. I still remember buying this when it came out and how excited i was.

OP
OP
Rich

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
I'm a bit offended that they removed Mario's feather that would appear on his cap when he had the Fire Flower powerup. I get that it was only used to differentiate when he had it since color differentiation wasn't a thing back then but here they just removed it in favor of the red and white overalls. Why not keep both, you guys!?

Ah, Toruzz has you covered. He's releasing a "Purists" patch too that leaves that in. It's just not out yet.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uhhhhhhh.... I don't think such an OT will ever be made dude. Piracy is frowned upon here.

But man, that does look great. Never played SML2. Maybe I should jump in with this.
While true, there are many examples of interesting rom hacks like this one that warrant discussion. Also, many of us here do own these old carts so the legality of applying the rom hacks would only apply to the developer, correct? If the discussion is kept away from things like illegal rom links and the such I could see it being fine. Mods may disagree, I'm just throwing out ideas here.

MrBrawl96

Oct 27, 2017
Uhhhhhhh.... I don't think such an OT will ever be made dude. Piracy is frowned upon here.

But man, that does look great. Never played SML2. Maybe I should jump in with this.
Totally understand, but it's kinda BS. I own 3 copies of this game on cartridge legally and theyre right in front of me. Nonsense that I can't play it on my computer. Of course, I don't steal games, but this is different, IMO. Haven't courts ruled that downloading roms of games you own is legal?

Either way, has anyone here got this patch working yet?

OP
OP
Rich

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
Totally understand, but it's kinda BS. I own 3 copies of this game on cartridge legally and theyre right in front of me. Nonsense that I can't play it on my computer. Of course, I don't steal games, but this is different, IMO. Haven't courts ruled that downloading roms of games you own is legal?

To the bolded, yes - I've played a few zones on my GBA so far as shown above.

To the rest: please, leave it out of this thread. Enough emulation threads get ruined by piracy talk and accusations, so do a google search if you must and leave this thread to discussion of the hack itself rather than how to obtain the ROM.

While true, there are many examples of interesting rom hacks like this one that warrant discussion. Also, many of us here do own these old carts so the legality of applying the rom hacks would only apply to the developer, correct? If the discussion is kept away from things like illegal rom links and the such I could see it being fine. Mods may disagree, I'm just throwing out ideas here.

Emulation discussion is absolutely fine (right, mods?) Publically sharing or requesting roms is not. It's akin to discussing Durante's Dark Souls fix, then asking for a link to a Dark Souls ISO to apply it to. Obvious to see where the line is drawn here.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

Oh I totally agree with that. MrBrawl's post just made it sound like he wanted an OT just to share ROM links. Maybe I misunderstood. We already have a Rom Hack thread here.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/smaller-quality-of-life-rom-hacks.2476/

We did have a legal ripping thread, but I can't seem to find it now.

OP
OP
Rich

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
Oh I totally agree with that. MrBrawl's post just made it sound like he wanted an OT just to share ROM links. Maybe I misunderstood. We already have a Rom Hack thread here.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/smaller-quality-of-life-rom-hacks.2476/

We did have a legal ripping thread, but I can't seem to find it now.

If you want a great way to rip your games and saves for the Game Boy and GBA, the Joey is fantastic and only $50:

https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/reader-writer-gen2

IMG_20150326_175850_1024x1024.jpg

And not only can you back up your games and saves from legit carts, you can also rewrite the cheap chinese clone carts - buy a $5 knockoff pokemon cart from ebay or aliexpress, plug it into the joey and you can turn it into a Super Mario Land 2 DX cart! Works great with GBA carts too.

ilfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God damn that is a good song.

Great work; a lot of people will love this. Game looks better in monochrome though.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow this is very cool! Seeing this type of fan / community dedication is very rare but amazing when it happens.

Is this one "ok" since it is a ROM hack? Or could this be another AM2R situation where Nintendo is already printing off C&D letters for the creators?

MrBrawl96

Oct 27, 2017
To the bolded, yes - I've played a few zones on my GBA so far as shown above.

To the rest: please, leave it out of this thread. Enough emulation threads get ruined by piracy talk and accusations, so do a google search if you must and leave this thread to discussion of the hack itself rather than how to obtain the ROM.

Emulation discussion is absolutely fine (right, mods?) Publically sharing or requesting roms is not. It's akin to discussing Durante's Dark Souls fix, then asking for a link to a Dark Souls ISO to apply it to. Obvious to see where the line is drawn here.
Gotcha! Anyways, I got it working, and FUCK YEAH! This is lit. The read me says it fixes lag but I'm still getting some of that OG slowdown in areas. What did he mean by removing lag? I assume the slow downs there to keep it like the original ala megaman collections.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I saw this on twitter this morning, this is really neat! I was actually just thinking of playing through SML2 for the first time on the Super Game Boy, but now there's this... I wonder if I should get an everdrive for these kinds of hacks

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I'm actually embarrassed to say this might be the first I have seen of Super Mario Land 2 and had no idea it was so different to Super Mario Land. I think I'm gonna have to look into this.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Really appreciated how weird the Land series was willing to go despite not being as mechanically sound as the main series... these colours really bring it to life and it does make the contrast quite stark. The next 2D Mario better take notes!

Oct 27, 2017
So awesome. I remember getting SML2 as a Christmas Eve gift back in '92

UxbiKS.gif

I really wish the next Mario game, rather it be console or portable (in Switch's case, both) returns to the worlds of the Super Mario Land games. It'd be a nice change of pace.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Amazing! The Mario Land games are so neglected by Nintendo. They should release a color version of the original Mario Land as well.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Can we have a mod weigh in here? I'm not really clear on the distinction between discussing rom hacks and knowing how to get them. It smells of a "don't ask don't tell" kind of deal and it makes me uncomfortable. I mean, what is a method of playing this hack that we are allowed to discuss on the forum?

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm going to play this on the NT Mini with my OLED.

...And it doesn't work on my jailbroken NT Mini with the GBC core.

Anybody else having this problem?

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Can we have a mod weigh in here? I'm not really clear on the distinction between discussing rom hacks and knowing how to get them. It smells of a "don't ask don't tell" kind of deal and it makes me uncomfortable. I mean, what is a method of playing this hack that we are allowed to discuss on the forum?
Seems pretty clear to me that mods, fan patches and stuff are totally fine. Why would anyone reasonably object to them? I don't see any discussion in this thread advocating for piracy, aside from one post mods already took action against.

Looks like you can buy GB games from the 3DS eShop, then dump roms with this
https://gbatemp.net/threads/braindump-userland-game-dumping.407332/

Once you've got the rom there's a variety of techniques for playing it after applying the mod, including injecting it to play on 3DS
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ultimate-gbc-vc-injector-for-3ds.434172/