• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 34802

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I loved Mario maker but the amount of crap/troll levels really killed it. Nintendo needs a rating system (I think they didn't have one to encourage everyone to make levels and have all levels played). Maybe a simple fun measurement or something idk. Hate troll levels they suck!

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
I loved Mario maker but the amount of crap/troll levels really killed it. Nintendo needs a rating system (I think they didn't have one to encourage everyone to make levels and have all levels played). Maybe a simple fun measurement or something idk. Hate troll levels they suck!
The main problem is that some people think that troll levels, automatic levels, and musical levels are fun, their stars rate skyrockets and more traditional levels never gets the exposure it needs. The perfect solution for me would be that the creator must include a category (or tag) along with the name when they upload them and you can search IN THE GAME (not only in the website) levels with those tags only. Also, the "Explore Levels" section need to sort by tag so we don't have to browse 30 "Don't move!!" or "Zelda theme!" levels before I find one interesting level to play (and find out it's a troll level).

Also when playing 100 Mario Challenge we can exclude some tags so this way we can play this mode in Hard difficulty with actual hard levels that are not troll or kaizo but well-designed levels. Keep the option to choose random levels for those that want everything.

Another idea is that when you finish or skip a level you can "vote" if the tag given by the author is truthful and if there are a majority of negative votes, the tag is changed to a more appropriate one (with some kind of punishment for those creators that uploads troll levels and tags them "traditional" or "puzzle").

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
I really hope there is some sort of challenge mode and/or campaign where you have a large set of Nintendo-made levels. Did they do this with the 1st one?

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope we get a Campaign Maker in Mario Maker 2, complete with map-making. Mario Maker 2 is exciting, but for me, either Super Mario Bros. 2 (basically a radically different mode of play) or a Campaign Maker is what it would take for me to see Mario Maker 2 as more than just "Mario Maker, but way better."

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
The main problem is that some people think that troll levels, automatic levels, and musical levels are fun, their stars rate skyrockets and more traditional levels never gets the exposure it needs. The perfect solution for me would be that the creator must include a category (or tag) along with the name when they upload them and you can search IN THE GAME (not only in the website) levels with those tags only. Also, the "Explore Levels" section need to sort by tag so we don't have to browse 30 "Don't move!!" or "Zelda theme!" levels before I find one interesting level to play (and find out it's a troll level).

Also when playing 100 Mario Challenge we can exclude some tags so this way we can play this mode in Hard difficulty with actual hard levels that are not troll or kaizo but well-designed levels. Keep the option to choose random levels for those that want everything.

Another idea is that when you finish or skip a level you can "vote" if the tag given by the author is truthful and if there are a majority of negative votes, the tag is changed to a more appropriate one (with some kind of punishment for those creators that uploads troll levels and tags them "traditional" or "puzzle").

All of those level types can be cool, the problem is a lot of mediocre ones get a ton of attention so everyone has to make one. Like there was an Auto level ran as a "Super hard" block at one of the last GDQ's that reading the comments here was hilarious because nobody thought it was an auto level. Even though the guy was playing blindfolded and they joked about him needing silence for audio cues. Everyone thought the level was so cool and were amazed the guy was playing blindfolded, even though it was a completely auto level that they had renamed just for the joke of it at GDQ.(Level mentioned)

Then you have people who make the music levels that actually have good level design and hard platforming baked in which make it even better. Again this type of level has been displayed at GDQ as well.

Trolls are just a whole other level. Carlsagan42 has basically dedicated the last year of his youtube to basically all troll levels and they somehow get more amazing and crazier every time.

Another big issue is some creators somehow learned how to manipulate the process of how levels get showcased. Not exactly sure how it's done but I know J-Bizzle(i think?) is one creator who somehow gets his levels always coming up on 100 man and the top levels constantly even though his levels seem to be pretty hated.

Last edited:

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really hoping this has a full blown new single player 2d Mario outside of the level sharing/making

Nintendo could give 5 large worlds and each one use the different Mario art styles, then a special 6th world with challenging levels that you could reach by finding secret exits in the other 5 worlds etc
Definitely won't happen. Mario Maker is too limited to make anything that could be considered a full blown 2D Mario and they wouldn't waste their top effort on levels for Mario Maker when they could make an actual 2D Mario and sell that separately.
Oh nice. I bet with slopes and newer elements, some Nintendo made levels would be even better.
Temper your expectations. The 3DS port of the first game needed a feature like that since the 3DS version had severe limitations to its online features compared to the Wii U version. The 3DS version didn't allow you to share level you created online, making the level creation aspect of the game essentially pointless; and you also couldn't play any level that featured the mystery mushroom and you can only play recommended courses rather than search by ID or creator. And even then the Nintendo levels in the 3DS version were still not that good. They were more like examples of ideas and mostly borrowed concepts that were done much better in player-created levels from the Wii U version.

I expect Mario Maker 2 to handle things more like the original release of the first game with a few tutorial levels and levels released after launch made by 3rd party guests and Treehouse.

Nov 16, 2017
Getting a bit concerned that there's still no release date when times creeping on now. Hoping it's released early / mid June as I'm going away and would be the perfect downtime game when the kids are asleep.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo should come up with a reward system for player that makes good levels

Example, once your level reaches 500 plays every 100 plays after that rewards you with 1 gold coin. Making it start after 500 plays makes it so they aren't giving gold coins to everyone just the really good ones

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Nintendo should come up with a reward system for player that makes good levels

Example, once your level reaches 500 plays every 100 plays after that rewards you with 1 gold coin. Making it start after 500 plays makes it so they aren't giving gold coins to everyone just the really good ones

That only works if the number of plays is tied to quality. Experience has taught me that this is rarely true. Exploits and joke levels tend to get the most plays of all in games like this.