• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
So is the current thinking that the transparent icon in the bottom left (shown below, with a '1' or a '2') is the zone navigator? I understand it seems likely given that the original game also had as similar icon on the bottom row (also '1' or '2') but there has to be a reason for the new more complicated icon design, right?

2ljjridpinowucf47t27hhphkj92b9ie.jpg

82slknbi-qavw4bjeazjluitvdiimjty.jpg

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
We know for sure that there has to be at least two more wheels for the "key" section (which I think will be called "Utilities" or something like that).
  • Wings
  • Parachute
  • Lift
  • Bill Blaster
  • Banzai Bill Cannon
  • Burner
  • Yoshi
  • Koopa Clown Car
  • Arrow Sign
  • Grinder
  • Tornado thing (which might not be considered an enemy, who knows)
are all unaccounted for on the menu so far; not to mention returning objects like P-Switches, Doors, Checkpoints and Keys themselves that didn't appear in the trailer.

Not to mention, Springs are color-coded to that section, but they don't appear in the wheel we saw. That is 100% confirmation of there being more, even without all of the above.
Regarding wings and parachutes, they may not have separate items. There's a point in the trailer where they select a piranha plant, and a tool tip appears with options to add wings or a parachute, and to remove a mushroom (the plant is big), so these might be handled in this way. I do hope there's still the option to drag and drop wings etc onto enemies, and to shake them off, as I really liked that mechanic

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
is there any indication that users can string together levels? i'd love to play "level packs" by users, designed like normal mario games to be incrementally challenging with unique ideas.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
is there any indication that users can string together levels? i'd love to play "level packs" by users, designed like normal mario games to be incrementally challenging with unique ideas.
Nothing about string levels together right now. The only tease in the trailer is the option to make levels with another player.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Days later and I'm still seeing new stuff from the trailer. Something I noticed at 1:08 point in the trailer. When it's SMB3 and Mario is on the long teetering platform. The blocks at the top of the screen now have two different versions than they did in SMM1.

NHG5P6w.jpg

Most of the blocks on the top row(besides the two ends) look to be the regular blocks, but the others have a screw or bolt in the middle.

Don't exactly know a reason for this, but thought it was interesting.

Side note, I'm also wondering if this platform will also teeter like the one Mario is standing on, but will stay stationary similar to the ones from SMB3. The platform has a different center.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Don't exactly know a reason for this, but thought it was interesting.

Side note, I'm also wondering if this platform will also teeter like the one Mario is standing on, but will stay stationary similar to the ones from SMB3. The platform has a different center.

Yeah, the only difference is, that the one platform is on tracks and the other is not. Both of them will teeter when Mario is standing on it. You can jump through them from the bottom, get the coins and then leave the platform again by standing on either side.

The blocks with the screws could be a random alt like the decoration objects which randomly appear (flowers, grass, lamps, statues...). So sometimes when you place that block, a block with a screw on it will appear. These will look different depending on the theme.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
Some things I'd love to see in Super Mario Maker 2 *list incoming lol* (some of them was already discussed here):

-A better way to sort and score levels: Many people just give stars to musical levels, automatic levels and even troll levels so in the top list you hardly find actual good levels you can play. Nintendo did a good thing later on in the Bookmarks website introducing labels (classic, automatic, puzzle,...) but they have to put it in the game and make top lists for every category so you can discover levels you actually are interested in.

-When finishing a level the screen would let you give it a rating star/1to5 stars and a table of labels buttons to classify it. If most users classify a level differently from the creator, the players label should prevail for the curated listing in the game and 10/100 Mario challenges.

-In the same vein, when doing the 10 / 100 Mario challenge, you could be able to exclude some labels/types of levels so you can play difficult levels that are fairly difficult not because they're troll or kaizo levels, but good designed difficult ones. And if you're in easy mode you won't get only automatic levels or musical ones. This is necessary IMO if they're hiding some rewards behind completing the difficult challenges and people that want to start in Easy mode won't get bored quickly.

-Patches. Like someone else said, the need to upload a whole new level just to modify an old one it's awful (when they introduced checkpoints for example or if you wanted to adjust difficulty via player's feedback or the death trail, and losing all the stars you earned). The system could notify users that played your level that there's a new version.

-USB/Bluetooth mouse compatible. A pretty good alternative to touch controls (if they're are back), is the option to plug your PC mouse in docked mode. Including a capacitive stylus in a limited edition (or even a mario maker themed mouse) is other good option.

-Import your old levels via NNID/NO account. I'm not sure they're going to make all MM1 levels available when the game is out so I'd love to get a tool to import and adapt my old levels from the first game into the new editor so I can improve them and upload them as new if I want to or just keep them as reference.

-Include the Nintendo made levels from MM1, MM3DS and all the event courses (babymetal, CX, Zelda...).

-And a new campaign from Nintendo using all the new tools.

-A new improved tutorial with new advices for good design as we're unlocking new tools. The one in Wii U was good but too short.

-The option to include more than one sub-level and change if they're vertical or horizontal. A cool option would be you can choose the size of the level as 2x30 (2 screens high and 30 screens wide) or vertical (30x1) or even a square level (15x15) so you can make a single level with different orientations without the need of sub-levels.

-A layout view with all the sub levels and diagram of doors and pipe connections (a good way to keep control of a maze level).

-Increase the max length of the level.

-Optional infinite time.

-Pipes that warp in the same sub-level (not the transparent one that behaves differently and you can see the path they have).

-One way pipes, too.

-The option to change between different music (overground, antlethic, NES/SNES versions of themes...)

-Super Mario 1 and 3 All Stars skins.

-More color variations from levels (Underground, Chocolate Land SMW, several Ghost House themes, Castles and Fortresses, Ghost ship, Star World themes and skins for enemies... the amazing impressionist theme from NSMBU... the pyramid level from SMB3, giant world and pipe world or the grass theme from SMB3 1-2). Night themes.

-Fences with rotating doors from SMW castles and fortresses. Smashing columns. All enemies and obstacles from SMB3 and World..., ghost lakitu, eerie, statues with rays, mechakoopas, rotodiscs, thwimp... Oh, and the 4 way cannons from SMB3 Airships...

-More power-ups like Frog suit, Hammer Bros Suit.

-One or two more options for slopes (So you can make some hill shaped platforms like the ones in SMB3 1-2).

-Those semi-solid diagonal platforms from SMW.

-Include a check to make a level a boss one (so it don't have a flag pole or the bridge from castles and you can choose other way to end it). Or boss rooms.

-Include Koopalings.

-The option to design a map in the style of SMB3, World or else would be nice so you can upload a mini-campaign of levels. You could include the Toad mini-games to gain power-ups. And secret exits in levels to discover a second path on the map.

-More doors and pipes per level, please!

-And several checkpoints per level.

-Conditions to finish a level: hidden red coins or Yoshi coins, boss for example.

Andre's hard at work on it and it's looking to be a massive undertaking, shouldn't be long! Derrick's also very busy with a Fire Emblem analysis

We are waiting impatiently... :P

Last edited:

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Infinite time would be nice since a lot of the people I watch play the game are playing super difficult levels made to make them mad. Timers are just unnecessary in those.

However they do need to make it so when you need to "restart" the level, it needs to ask you if you want to start over or start from the checkpoint when you do because in the original, that's the only time the timer even helps out, but it then takes a whole bunch of real world minutes of waiting just to die so they can keep playing without starting over. I can't believe Nintendo never foresaw that in the first place.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
Infinite time would be nice since a lot of the people I watch play the game are playing super difficult levels made to make them mad. Timers are just unnecessary in those.

However they do need to make it so when you need to "restart" the level, it needs to ask you if you want to start over or start from the checkpoint when you do because in the original, that's the only time the timer even helps out, but it then takes a whole bunch of real world minutes of waiting just to die so they can keep playing without starting over. I can't believe Nintendo never foresaw that in the first place.
Yes, you're right a "restart from check-point" menu option when pressing start is a good addition.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Andre's hard at work on it and it's looking to be a massive undertaking, shouldn't be long! Derrick's also very busy with a Fire Emblem analysis

I'm going to do with your analysis what you guys do with game footage, i.e. watch it a hundred times and absorb every detail like a sponge.

No pressure. ;)

(You guys rock. Thanks for existing).

AmericanKirby

Aug 31, 2018
Inside your house
Kind of a weird suggestion I guess, but I hope there are a lot more purely-decorative options this time around. Like a bunch of different pipe colors to choose from, multiple kinds of terrain in a single level/theme, decorative background objects you can place manually, things like that. OG MM didn't really give you a lot of options to make things "pretty" or give your level a distinctive look/feel outside of a few preset themes. MM kinda encouraged you to think of everything you placed in the level purely in terms of mechanics, which lead to a lot of levels having this weird, Kaizo Mario -like visual design that was completely unlike anything you'd find in an actual Nintendo game or even most non-kaizo fangames.

I dunno, maybe that's just me.

super-mario-maker-2-nintendo-switchb-1024x576.jpg

There's also this circular icon in the bottom left of the screen right above the play button. It presumably has something to do with coop. Some have been suggesting there might be not just coop playing/testing but level-editing as well.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
That's a pretty neat mock-up! I think it'll look somewhat similar to that; though, how would you set the highest and lowest point that the water can reach (as we see the water leve dynamically change in the trailer)?
That might not be customizable, or settings pop up when you tap the arrows. Dragging the boat moves the default water level.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
We haven't seen solo water tiles, right?
It seems weird to have a rising tide application to all themes but not, like. Tiles.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know it would never happen, but would be really neat would be some way to make your own overworld along with your levels

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
It'd be nice to at least be able to put the water behind the terrain layer, but they can't because that would require more complex AI for the cheep cheeps and porcupuffer.

I wonder if drybones become fishbones in this kind of water.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
That's a pretty neat mock-up! I think it'll look somewhat similar to that; though, how would you set the highest and lowest point that the water can reach (as we see the water leve dynamically change in the trailer)?

Maybe too simple, but I'm almost imaging there is just a default height difference it goes to and you pick a height and then maybe a grayed out layer to show how low or high it will go.

Far off hopes, is that we can apply the layer 2 aspect of it to more than just water or lava. If we could make levels similar to SMW with a static layer and a layer going up in down.

(Easiest gif I could find)
BgMDD2.gif

Kind of like the spikes would normally work, but instead having platforms come out of the water and what not. I'd love to be able to make a completely custom second layer to the levels

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
They just won't. This isn't Lunar Magic. The editor will still be very limited in comparison. So don't put up your hopes.
Same with overworlds. The nearest thing to overworld will be a map kinda like the 100-Man ones with your own levels.
Im not understanding why water tiles can't happen. This isn't a super outlandish tool to put in the creator

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
They just won't. This isn't Lunar Magic. The editor will still be very limited in comparison. So don't put up your hopes.
Same with overworlds. The nearest thing to overworld will be a map kinda like the 100-Man ones with your own levels.

I'm kind of in the same thinking. Making your own worlds and connected levels just doesn't really make sense for the game actually is.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Oh yes this game is gonna be amazing.

I loved Mario Maker and was completely absorbed by it for weeks when it first released. The time would fly as I would try to make great stages like the designers would.

I was quite proud of my stages.

I ended up burning out a bit and lost my mojo which made me stop. I had writer's block at some point. Then I felt I was overthinking it and relying too much on little gimmicks I wanted to toy with.

Looking forward to getting back at it with this game!

I cannot wait for the 3D World theme and all the music in the game. The first one had incredible remixes.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is. But hey, maybe I am wrong?
Well, what makes it crazier then anything else in the game? It'd function pretty simply. If you put it between other ground or block tiles, it lets you make pools or "pits" of water.
Sort of like what the SMM Smash stage does with lava
hqdefault.jpg

300px-SSB4_WiiU_SuperMarioMaker.jpg

As a bonus, maybe if you put it on its own in the air, have it turn into water bubbles

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
I would love Mario 2 to be in this somehow...it feels a bit incomplete without it to be honest. Such a fun quirky and unique game.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

People are complaining constantly about just one level getting deleted(because people don't play them or it doesn't get enough stars), you think a bunch of people are going to play whole connected "worlds" created all by the same person? Then how do they work in 100-man? Do you only get one of them, or are the exempt? Then how are people going to find them?

What purpose does it serve other than wanting to create some overworld or theme? Creators already do this with titles and series that they then just have people follow them.

I just don't see what real purpose it serves other than the idea of people wanting to create some overworld. I just don't think it makes sense at all for the game, other than random wish fulfillment.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the Super mario bros u theme is still going to be in the game or if they are replacing it for the mario 3d world one

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty much the only first party WiiU game I wanted but didn't buy, so a full fledged sequel is going to be day 1 for me.

2019 is going to be as great as 2017, with Mario Maker 2, Luigi's Mansion 3 and LA. I am so very exited for these three.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I'm not reading through this whole thresd but obviously with all the other characters shown in the art and there being a builder Luigi, we've all assumed there's going to be co-op correct?

Has anyone talked about the possibility of there being a versus mode? Cause the on-off switches reminded me of the versus mode in SMB Deluxe on the GBC. Versus mode could be an amazing addition

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not reading through this whole thresd but obviously with all the other characters shown in the art and there being a builder Luigi, we've all assumed there's going to be co-op correct?

Has anyone talked about the possibility of there being a versus mode? Cause the on-off switches reminded me of the versus mode in SMB Deluxe on the GBC. Versus mode could be an amazing addition
I'm honestly not sure about co-op because it would be a nightmare for this kind of game. Multiple players could break levels in ways single players can't and would be impossible to playtest adequately. Nintendo really doesn't like to release stuff that could be that broken. It would be a mess.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Some kind of coop level building seems to be heavily implied. That and different characters to chose from when playing levels.
Each of them will probably have the same physics. Multiplayer? I dont think so.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Multiplayer? I dont think so.
I mean... why not? Co-op multiplayer would make perfect sense on Switch, and it's solely a matter of how Nintendo manages compatibility testing and uploading: my guess is they allow you to upload it as solo, co-op, or both, depending on whether you can pass the level as such, just as the original game did.

Don't forget: the elements now include a wide moving platform and a see-saw, both of which are logical inclusions for co-op play... that, and co-op editing sounds absurd.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I mean... why not? Co-op multiplayer would make perfect sense on Switch, and it's solely a matter of how Nintendo manages compatibility testing and uploading: my guess is they allow you to upload it as solo, co-op, or both, depending on whether you can pass the level as such, just as the original game did.

Don't forget: the elements now include a wide moving platform and a see-saw, both of which are logical inclusions for co-op play... that, and co-op editing sounds absurd.
Passing the level isn't necessarily the issue. Say you design some contraption or puzzle that requires doing things in a certain order, but having a co-op partner allows them to fuck it up and make the level unplayable. Or on the flip side, co-op players could break levels and get records that are unbeatable by single players.

Imagine getting bad ratings on your level because people are playing it multiplayer and causing bugs you couldn't possibly account for.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I'm honestly not sure about co-op because it would be a nightmare for this kind of game. Multiple players could break levels in ways single players can't and would be impossible to playtest adequately. Nintendo really doesn't like to release stuff that could be that broken. It would be a mess.
It could work like ultimate chicken horse

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Passing the level isn't necessarily the issue. Say you design some contraption or puzzle that requires doing things in a certain order, but having a co-op partner allows them to fuck it up and make the level unplayable. Or on the flip side, co-op players could break levels and get records that are unbeatable by single players.

Imagine getting bad ratings on your level because people are playing it multiplayer and causing bugs you couldn't possibly account for.

How about having levels solely for co-op and single player?
Cause I felt that's what the icon on the bottom left was. A toggle for co-op

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
How about having levels solely for co-op and single player?
Cause I felt that's what the icon on the bottom left was. A toggle for co-op
Even designed for co-op it'd be a nightmare to playtest. So many more things can go wrong. And you'd be splitting the userbase.

I think the button just switches characters so you can design levels that use Luigi's higher floatier jumps and such.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
What do you mean? If you test it for multiplayer, you can upload it as multiplayer compatible. And vice verse for single player, you have to beat it solo first before uploading.

Are you worried about people getting bad reviews because of unforeseen soft locks? That is already a thing in single player (in SMM1).

That's not "splitting the user base" (an online multiplayer issue) — it's providing an additional layer of absolutely optional content for both designers and players.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017

I think when you play through a level in multiplayer, your ratings for said level would be separated into a different category reflecting that.

And hey, maybe you could make levels that can only be played in single-player. If people try to play that level in multiplayer, they would find that feature disabled since the designer did not allow it.