• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
I think when you play through a level in multiplayer, your ratings for said level would be separated into a different category reflecting that.

And hey, maybe you could make levels that can only be played in single-player. If people try to play that level in multiplayer, they would find that feature disabled since the designer did not allow it.
People would rather skip the entire level than trying to beat it alone so is still a bad thing for whoever created the level, I think.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
What do you mean? If you test it for multiplayer, you can upload it as multiplayer compatible. And vice verse for single player, you have to beat it solo first before uploading.

Are you worried about people getting bad reviews because of unforeseen soft locks? That is already a thing in single player (in SMM1).

That's not "splitting the user base" (an online multiplayer issue) — it's providing an additional layer of absolutely optional content for both designers and players.
Testing for multiplayer is more difficult because having multiple players increases the variables exponentially.

Testing for softlocks for single player is very doable. With multiplayer your ability to foresee and prevent them is hampered.

What I mean by split the userbase is if you separate them, some people will only play single or multiplayer levels. One might be way more popular than the other.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Im not understanding why water tiles can't happen. This isn't a super outlandish tool to put in the creator
SMM does not use a tilemap as the core, or even one of the core, elements of the level. There's a grid with object overlap limitations, but that's not the same thing. In SMM1 you create landmass with rectangles instead, and it's safe to assume something similar here. This makes the water tile concept significantly weirder to reason about.

paddyk84

Banned
Jan 31, 2019
Yes I do. It's called PC. I don't remember Bluehole or Steam charge me for PUBG online, or EA charge me for Apex online.

And this is directed to Nintendo in specific: I don't pay for a service that was better when it was free.

Wow so online infrastructure and servers cost those companies absolutely nothing? They just materialise out of thin air? Interesting. They should share that tech with the big three.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
If Little Big Planet could manage co-op with significantly more complex levels then surely Mario Maker can too.

Oct 28, 2017
If someone went to a lot of effort to break everything down and posted it here I would have certainly acknowledged it. But alas, nobody did and thus no feelings were hurt. Just gotta wait for Gamexplain!

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Day 65, if you wanna get technical.

Also man I am so fucking hyped for this I honestly can't deal with it

Yeah, as soon as I posted it I realized it wasn't there from the start. But didn't feel like it needed to be broken down. lol

If someone went to a lot of effort to break everything down and posted it here I would have certainly acknowledged it. But alas, nobody did and thus no feelings were hurt. Just gotta wait for Gamexplain!

https://youtu.be/Qv8n4QllRL8

Ceave probably has the best video breakdown I've seen. He not only goes frame by frame but also goes in to detail about implimentation.

There also has been a couple breakdowns in this thread though.

Oct 28, 2017
Okay. Was just worried I offended you somewhere.
Nah. I just don't always say anything. Like I read your posts detailing stuff and thought ooooothis is good stuff. I just didn't say anything because....I don't even know I just didn't. You're probably right Gamexplain's analysis is unlikely to say anything you haven't already posted. But I'm excited for it anyway!

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Nah. I just don't always say anything. Like I read your posts detailing stuff and thought ooooothis is good stuff. I just didn't say anything because....I don't even know I just didn't. You're probably right Gamexplain's analysis is unlikely to say anything you haven't already posted. But I'm excited for it anyway!
I like gamexplain, too, and also look forward to their analysis.

It may not seem like it since I don't have the ability to make youtube videos, but that analysis still took hours, heh. I have no life :(

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
I guess any form of touch control could be gone, since they made the navigations more joystick friendly? So shaking will probably be gone too, if enemies have submenus where you can give them mushrooms or other different attributes.
Let's just assume, touch will be gone for good, atleast the drawing part. Then level creation will take significantly longer.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I really want permanent costumes/ones that stick for the entire stage.

Or really just cut out the middle man and give me playable enemies like Goomba, Koopa and Hammer Bros.

Oct 28, 2017
I guess any form of touch control could be gone, since they made the navigations more joystick friendly? So shaking will probably be gone too, if enemies have submenus where you can give them mushrooms or other different attributes.
Let's just assume, touch will be gone for good, atleast the drawing part. Then level creation will take significantly longer.
No way. Touch is still in I'm 100% sure of it.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I really want permanent costumes/ones that stick for the entire stage.

Or really just cut out the middle man and give me playable enemies like Goomba, Koopa and Hammer Bros.
I just hope the costumes are back at all. I'm fearing for their fate after the 3ds version.

As far as the costumes go, it'd be kind of neat if you could equip them on Goombas and other simple enemies.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just hope the costumes are back at all. I'm fearing for their fate after the 3ds version.

As far as the costumes go, it'd be kind of neat if you could equip them on Goombas and other simple enemies.

I'd really like NPCs too, which you could give costumes and a couple of basic behaviors, but I grant that any text for dialogue is going to be a concern.

Maybe always show a "Report? (-)" prompt on the screen every time there's user text displayed. Or limit people to preset words, or pictograms?

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

There is no way touch is gone. I would only assume all those options you're talking about are just to make creating with the controller easier. You can't exactly shake the units when you're using the joystick. They wouldn't make the only way to create be the way that their worried about enough to change the interface to make it easier.

If touch was gone the old top menu would be gone completely.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
There is no way touch is gone.

But arent capacitive styluses on capacitive screens far less accurate than drawing on a resistive screen? To be fair, the grid in Super Mario Maker is fairly large. But I dont see Nintendo selling a stylus with the game and leaving the digital version in the dirt and drawing with your finger would be far inferior to a stylus. Not an expert tho. :O

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
I'm also preparing myself for it to not feature touch support. I have no evidence other than that this game looks perfect which means something has to go wrong lol.

The way the slope in the trailer was built looks like it was built using the analog stick. Now, perhaps there's a way to built via the sticks as well as with your finger using touch and that they didn't want to showcase a big finger all over the menu in the trailer.

Oct 26, 2017
The interface still supports touch, there's a big x button in the corner of the radial menus that wouldn't be there otherwise.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'd really like NPCs too, which you could give costumes and a couple of basic behaviors, but I grant that any text for dialogue is going to be a concern.

Maybe always show a "Report? (-)" prompt on the screen every time there's user text displayed. Or limit people to preset words, or pictograms?

You could add text through miiverse. I played through a few stages that made use of that and were completely broken after miiverse went down. If they add miiverse functionality to the core game, like splatoon did, that could be there.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
But arent capacitive styluses on capacitive screens far less accurate than drawing on a resistive screen? To be fair, the grid in Super Mario Maker is fairly large. But I dont see Nintendo selling a stylus with the game and leaving the digital version in the dirt and drawing with your finger would be far inferior to a stylus. Not an expert tho. :O

I just don't see them taking the option away when that was the only way people created levels before. They seem to also have added the ability to zoom in when creating so that would alleviate the accuracy issues. It doesn't seem like the magnifying glass on the menu zooms in in that way so I would assume there would be a general touch gesture to do that if there was no other visual representation on the menu.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
The announcement of Super Mario Maker 2 further confirms that Nintendo is DONE with traditional 2D Mario games. I don't think we will see another 2D Mario game for a loooong time.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The announcement of Super Mario Maker 2 further confirms that Nintendo is DONE with traditional 2D Mario games. I don't think we will see another 2D Mario game for a loooong time.
It's a shame that Nintendo found the formula for Donkey Kong but didn't apply it for Mario. Back in the 8 and 16 bit era, Mario was pushing production values, storytelling through the environment, mood, etc. Then NSMBU came, and it's just a bunch of generic tilesets, all while the Donkey Kong Country games by Retro were setting the example for 2D platformers. With how much 2D Mario sells, why wouldn't they give 2D Mario the budget and ambition they give to 3D Mario and Donkey Kong?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame that Nintendo found the formula for Donkey Kong but didn't apply it for Mario. Back in the 8 and 16 bit era, Mario was pushing production values, storytelling through the environment, mood, etc. Then NSMBU came, and it's just a bunch of generic tilesets, all while the Donkey Kong Country games by Retro were setting the example for 2D platformers. With how much 2D Mario sells, why wouldn't they give 2D Mario the budget and ambition they give to 3D Mario and Donkey Kong?

They likely think (or at least, thought) that clean environments and a "generic" Mario identity are part of the appeal of the game, not a problem.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017

Or that is simpler to add functions into mario maker than doing a reboot of 2D Mario...

Have a hard time believing that Nintendo will not make another 2D mario game with the sales numbers NSMB historical has shown.

As NSMB U was released this year and now SMM2 I am not expecting a new 2D mario next year but someday it will be back...

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Not to mention, SMW wasn't really "pushing" much of anything, even on release.

It's a game that prioritsizes functionality over all else with regard to visuals.

Huh? I remember SMW as mindblowing for 2D platforming when it was first released, to a large degree because of its pretty graphics and the sprite rotation/scaling it did. The game knows it too and keeps exploiting this functionality as the game progresses, especially for bosses. Look at the enemies too compared to the earlier Mario games. You have some pretty big enemies in this game compared to what came before, as well as enemies that took advantage of the hardware for no reason other than to look cool (the giant bubbles, for example).

Other game systems (and computers) at the time had no chance of pulling off the graphical stunts that SMW did.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Huh? I remember SMW as mindblowing for 2D platforming when it was first released, to a large degree because of its pretty graphics and the sprite rotation/scaling it did. The game knows it too and keeps exploiting this functionality as the game progresses, especially for bosses. Look at the enemies too compared to the earlier Mario games. You have some pretty big enemies in this game compared to what came before, as well as enemies that took advantage of the hardware for no reason other than to look cool (the giant bubbles, for example).

Other game systems (and computers) at the time had no chance of pulling off the graphical stunts that SMW did.

I didn't play the game in 1990 (it released in the US in 91) and visually it always lost its impact in the face of the first Sonic.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I still want a NSMBSwitch eventually. With a new art style. New look. Something to break away from the rest of the NSMB line. It'll come. Just not soon probably. Maybe closer to the end of the Switch's run. Hopefully after a sequel to 3D World. (Or Odyssey)

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017

SMW was an impressive launch SNES graphics chips tech demonstration, no one who is aware of their limitations will deny that - I'm not sure if there's a level with four tilemaps, aside from that it seems to show off everything - but the patterns themselves were relatively conservative. It's logical extension of Mario's NES outings, just take a look at screenshots.

Jan 31, 2019
I just don't see them taking the option away when that was the only way people created levels before. They seem to also have added the ability to zoom in when creating so that would alleviate the accuracy issues. It doesn't seem like the magnifying glass on the menu zooms in in that way so I would assume there would be a general touch gesture to do that if there was no other visual representation on the menu.
Zoom in? Great observation. Yet another clue that touch controls will be present. This would allow for efficient use of fingers instead of needing a sylus.....very interesting.

Jan 31, 2019
Its funny you mention this. I was just playing through the Mario Challenge levels (Nintendo made Mario maker levels on 3DS version).
These levels are so gosh darn fun and well designed. I have had more fun playing these Mario levels then any other 2D Mario tile since the SNES. The amount of levels are really impressive too.

It got me thinking that they could probably sell Nintendo made level packages on Maker 2 as DLC. They could make a brand new Mario game using Mario Maker 2 and sell it as DLC through the game. I feel that with all the cool extras in Mario Maker - there are just more fun possibilities. The 3DS Nintendo made maker levels have really shown me that the sky is the limit with what can be done.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I booted up my old WiiU and I plan on just using the tablet for a while. I don't miss much skipping the TV for now right? Wonder if I'm going to fall down a WiiU hole now...