• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Huh? I remember SMW as mindblowing for 2D platforming when it was first released, to a large degree because of its pretty graphics and the sprite rotation/scaling it did. The game knows it too and keeps exploiting this functionality as the game progresses, especially for bosses. Look at the enemies too compared to the earlier Mario games. You have some pretty big enemies in this game compared to what came before, as well as enemies that took advantage of the hardware for no reason other than to look cool (the giant bubbles, for example).

Other game systems (and computers) at the time had no chance of pulling off the graphical stunts that SMW did.
Like someone else already posted, Mario World's audio & visuals didn't even compare favorably to Sonic the Hedgehog, which released before it in North America. So I don't really see where you're coming from here.

Almost all of the major NES & SNES Mario games have a perfectly functional but not exceptional aesthetic. I never really understood why the NSMB series got so much flak for having the same exact thing.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so conflicted on this

I love CP1 trolls and the like, but as somebody who plays the game give me a fucking restart at checkpoint option.

I don't reallly think CP1 trolls would really suffer. Most of them are made in a way where they can't be ignored or missed anyways and likely the restart at checkpoint would send you back to the most recent checkpoint. So it'd just send you to the one you just got.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Like someone else already posted, Mario World's audio & visuals didn't even compare favorably to Sonic the Hedgehog, which released before it in North America. So I don't really see where you're coming from here.

Almost all of the major NES & SNES Mario games have a perfectly functional but not exceptional aesthetic. I never really understood why the NSMB series got so much flak for having the same exact thing.
I'd argue that SMW is the only non-NSMB game that really has a "functional" aesthetic.

1 is basic but it was also pushing what you could do in a Famicom game without adding shit to the cartridge, 2 has a pretty wild aesthetic, and 3 is one of the best looking games on the console.

(Though World is my favourite of all the games I mentioned. Go figure.)

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
3 is one of the best looking games on the console.
I never really had the same impression. Mario & Luigi's sprites were less colorful than in SMB2 USA, there were weird aesthetic choices all over the place (power-up silhouettes in the sky, a starry background for underground caves), and plenty of glitchy behavior for both visuals (discolored sprites at the horizontal scrolling edges) and audio (some of the most egregious cases of sound effects cutting into the music channels that I can remember) were abound. At times it felt like it was trying to do more than what the NES could properly handle. I actually prefer the look and sound of SMB1 overall for that reason.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
There is only one ice theme background for smb3 and it fucking sucks imho.

super-mario-bros.-3-screenshot-ice.jpg

The desert theme is very faithful, so I fear the ice theme.
Those little cactus are probably one of the three(?) little decoration things.

3050M.png

4e9a9e69a48ef9d8a9d1e39be3510461.png

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017

Super Mario World resembles a cartoon. NSMB resembles a CG sunday morning cartoon.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I had a blast tonight just creating a simple classic feeling level from sm3.

Sent it to a friend so will see his thoughts. Made me incredibly excited for the Switch version and I might use this game to get myself to learn how to make videos on YouTube, and stream gameplay etc. Something I always wanted to do for fun.

So I can imagine I will be playing a lot of Mario Maker but Damn my tablet didn't last long before it was dead, yikes,

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
Man, you guys, I'm just so excited for this, and excited for the people who missed the first game.

Anyone with even a passing interest in game design needs to be playing Mario Maker. I had so much fun laying out levels in my head and then coming home to test my ideas. I would upload them and people on GAF or Miiverse would give me feedback, and people would be doing all sorts of things I didn't account for in my levels, or having more trouble than I expected in some areas, and I would make adjustments accordingly. It's a great little window into level design.

The best part is that Mario is the perfect base for creativity. No matter what you do, you're standing on the shoulders of a giant because Mario is just fundamentally fun to play. It's simple enough to allow room for all sorts of ideas and themes, both gameplay and aesthetic-wise. You can keep it simple and still make fantastic levels. At the same time, it offers enough tools that work well with each other to inspire you or facilitate your wildest ideas.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Gonne make a small prediction, I think this will be the Switch best selling title after Pokemon Gen 8.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
when this releases id be happy to playtest some levels, i got a capture card so i can upload the footage of me playing the full level too.

seeing how other people play your level makes you see all the improvementns you can make. thats why i always tried going around streams and posting my level so i could get feedback

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Who will want to keep doing/playing levels with the monotone NSMB theme now that the awesome and way more cool looking Super Mario 3D World theme is introduced? I'm not going to touch the NSMB theme at all once this game hits tbh.

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
when this releases id be happy to playtest some levels, i got a capture card so i can upload the footage of me playing the full level too.

seeing how other people play your level makes you see all the improvementns you can make. thats why i always tried going around streams and posting my level so i could get feedback
I might take you up on that offer! The little map that shows where people died on your level was one of the most useful features of the first game for me, and the one time I got someone to play a level of mine on stream it was very educational for me. I really hope they'll have a feature in this game that will let you view a full replay of at least the last person who attempted your level.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Who will want to keep doing/playing levels with the monotone NSMB theme now that the awesome and way more cool looking Super Mario 3D World theme is introduced? I'm not going to touch the NSMB theme at all once this game hits tbh.
Well, for one I like annoying people, so that's one reason in favour of NSMB theme.

As for other reasons, we gotta wait and see. It's possible there's going to be some cool thing that Nintendo will make exclusive to it.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

It's used for speedrun levels because of the interesting tech it adds to speedrun type levels that the other themes don't have. 3D world will depend on how they do the physics and if the cat momentum will be in it. Though I'm sure 3d will end up picking up it's own motif.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I might take you up on that offer! The little map that shows where people died on your level was one of the most useful features of the first game for me, and the one time I got someone to play a level of mine on stream it was very educational for me. I really hope they'll have a feature in this game that will let you view a full replay of at least the last person who attempted your level.

yeah
in the first game i made this level:

and there were many small improvements that i figured out by watching how people played the thing

(mechanics spoilers)
since the gimmick of the level is that there are rooms that look the same when you go through a door, I added coins so the players could potentially use them to guide themselves picking coins in one version of the room and leaving them in another.

also there was one hidden path that ended with a long string of those plants that you can only walk on with the kuribo shoe, originally the exit part of that path was open but people atempted to go through it using the damage invul from getting hit, so i had to put some 1 way blocks to stop them from attemping that as that but still make them wonder what was on the other side.

there was one type of sequence breaking that went against the spirit of the level, so i made sure to make it harder. you have to be way more precise to do it so less people will suspect is posible

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
yeah
in the first game i made this level:

and there were many small improvements that i figured out by watching how people played the thing

(mechanics spoilers)
since the gimmick of the level is that there are rooms that look the same when you go through a door, I added coins so the players could potentially use them to guide themselves picking coins in one version of the room and leaving them in another.

also there was one hidden path that ended with a long string of those plants that you can only walk on with the kuribo shoe, originally the exit part of that path was open but people atempted to go through it using the damage invul from getting hit, so i had to put some 1 way blocks to stop them from attemping that as that but still make them wonder what was on the other side.

there was one type of sequence breaking that went against the spirit of the level, so i made sure to make it harder. you have to be way more precise to do it so less people will suspect is posible
Oh, I remember playing that level! Had a great time sitting down with it and sussing out its mystery. I'm pretty sure I downloaded it afterwards, actually, because I wanted to see its inner workings. It must have been a lot of fun to observe people playing it.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The announcement of Super Mario Maker 2 further confirms that Nintendo is DONE with traditional 2D Mario games. I don't think we will see another 2D Mario game for a loooong time.

I wouldn't necessarily bet the farm on that. NSMBU Deluxe is selling very, very well. There's nothing that stops Nintendo from making a new 2D Mario at some point down the line. It may be the perfect launching point for a new art style too.

This isn't a hobby, this is a business at the end of the day. If 2D Mario as a series nets Nintendo even 5-8 million sales per instalment, they're not going to look off that forever.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I remember playing that level! Had a great time sitting down with it and sussing out its mystery. I'm pretty sure I downloaded it afterwards, actually, because I wanted to see its inner workings. It must have been a lot of fun to observe people playing it.

yeah! it was my favorite to watch people playing, some people figured it out super fast and loved it, others took too long and a few got bored haha

the thing is that i didnt set to create this level in that way, my idea was just making a small world/giant world parallel with doors and pipes, where going through a door or pipe will get you to a similar place but with giant or regular koopas and sometimes you would need to switch areas to progress
ended up changing it to a hanuted house because the smb3 above ground background with clouds was getting in the way of the illusion, then removed the giant koopas because it made more sense as a puzzle stage

You can still see the 9 tiles of breakable blocks between rooms that you were suposed to destroy with a giant koopa! in the final version you are supposed to remove them with a p switch

i loved iterating over the idea by myself and then doing the final adjustments by watching others play, thats why i want to help other people to figure out how to improve their levels too

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
What is the easiest way to share levels in the first game? Give someone my user ID or something? How do I share levels to anybody on here or a friend, so that they can play all my levels?

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
yeah! it was my favorite to watch people playing, some people figured it out super fast and loved it, others took too long and a few got bored haha

the thing is that i didnt set to create this level in that way, my idea was just making a small world/giant world parallel with doors and pipes, where going through a door or pipe will get you to a similar place but with giant or regular koopas and sometimes you would need to switch areas to progress
ended up changing it to a hanuted house because the smb3 above ground background with clouds was getting in the way of the illusion, then removed the giant koopas because it made more sense as a puzzle stage

You can still see the 9 tiles of breakable blocks between rooms that you were suposed to destroy with a giant koopa! in the final version you are supposed to remove them with a p switch

i loved iterating over the idea by myself and then doing the final adjustments by watching others play, thats why i want to help other people to figure out how to improve their levels too
Oh neat, it's great how a level will sometimes take on a form you hadn't originally considered once you start putting it to paper. That or experimenting with something while making one level will inspire your next. I often had several WIP levels waiting at once because of that.

People say they don't want to make anything because they have no ideas, but honestly once you get your hands on the editor it's hard to not start getting ideas.

What is the easiest way to share levels in the first game? Give someone my user ID or something? How do I share levels to anybody on here or a friend, so that they can play all my levels?
Yes, sharing the course ID works. There's also an official site that you can link to your game and add levels to your queue with a click on your PC or whatever. For example, here's all my levels.

Last edited:

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Well, for one I like annoying people, so that's one reason in favour of NSMB theme.

As for other reasons, we gotta wait and see. It's possible there's going to be some cool thing that Nintendo will make exclusive to it.

LOL, looking forward to play your levels then! damn :P
Yeah what if they add Toadette as only playable on the NSMB theme? It'll be game over for all the other themes hah

It's used for speedrun levels because of the interesting tech it adds to speedrun type levels that the other themes don't have. 3D world will depend on how they do the physics and if the cat momentum will be in it. Though I'm sure 3d will end up picking up it's own motif.

That's a good reason, but NSMB aesthetically speaking is beyond worn out at this point IMO. The other retro themes are ageless but NSMB, man... just nope.

Jan 31, 2019
For not being groundbreaking visually at the time, Super Mario World has aged like a fine wine. It looks soo good still......was just admiring it on the 2dsxl Mario Maker.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I find the NSMB style to be a great translation of the Mario look to 3D, mostly the World look, but with some SMB3 inspiration (how much of which depends on the individual entry.) And, if course, managing to keep the style and add flair with things like much smoother animations, all while still managing to keep the gameplay fluidity of the 2D games. Most 3D/2.5D takes off 3D games don't manage to pull that off flawlessly, there's always something off.

...Theoretically. As we've been through earlier in this thread, the SMM implementation of the NSMB style isn't a very good one at all, so a lot of the fluidity and flair is just missing.

Jan 31, 2019
With the resurgence of 2D platformers such as cup head, hollow knight, and Celeste.......I think Nintendo knows that when it's time for a new 2D Mario.....they need to come out with a new art style and then some.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never played Mario maker 1 but I'm kinda hyped to try this one, but one thing still bothers me ever since Mario maker 1 was announced

Does anyone feels like this cheapens the Mario franchise? don't know if others feel like this but i feel like Nintendo should be the only ones that make Mario games. Just random people making levels cheapens it to me for some reason idk why

And with this game why would Nintendo ever need to make another 2d Mario again? Why don't they just keep making their own levels with this? i don't want this to happen but I see it as a possibility

Last thing is how overwhelming is it to have all of these created levels to choose from? do you just keep playing levels with no specific rewards or goals to gain as you play them? Is there some kind of monthly or weekly levels chosen by Nintendo that Nintendo recommends or challenges?

I think a good idea would be if Nintendo made levels and in order to unlock 1 of Nintendo's levels you would have to complete 10 user made levels or something like that, not saying they should do this but just giving an example of how they could add specific goals and rewards to the game

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019
Personally, I find the NSMB style to be a great translation of the Mario look to 3D, mostly the World look, but with some SMB3 inspiration (how much of which depends on the individual entry.) And, if course, managing to keep the style and add flair with things like much smoother animations, all while still managing to keep the gameplay fluidity of the 2D games. Most 3D/2.5D takes off 3D games don't manage to pull that off flawlessly, there's always something off.

...Theoretically. As we've been through earlier in this thread, the SMM implementation of the NSMB style isn't a very good one at all, so a lot of the fluidity and flair is just missing.
Even 12 years ago I have always felt it to be a very bland and uninspired look.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Not going to @ them because I don't want to pressure them, but I keep reloading GameXplain's YT channel waiting for their analysis.

Man, you guys, I'm just so excited for this, and excited for the people who missed the first game.

Yeah, same. It's going to be crazy for people diving in for the first time. :)

Depends a lot on what exclusive stuff the NSMB theme has, if anything, but yeah, 3DW style seems like it's going to eat its lunch.

Jan 31, 2019
I never played Mario maker 1 but I'm kinda hyped to try this one, but one thing still bothers me ever since Mario maker 1 was announced

Does anyone feels like this cheapens the Mario franchise? don't know if others feel like this but i feel like Nintendo should be the only ones that make Mario games. Just random people making levels cheapens it to me for some reason idk why

And with this game why would Nintendo ever need to make another 2d Mario again? Why don't they just keep making their own levels with this? i don't want this to happen but I see it as a possibility

Last thing is how overwhelming is it to have all of these created levels to choose from? do you just keep playing levels with no specific rewards or goals to gain as you play them? Is there some kind of monthly or weekly levels chosen by Nintendo that Nintendo recommends or challenges?
Once you play you will realize it doesn't cheapen the franchise......it enhances and unlocks its true potential.

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
I think they will be incredibly close, with Mario Maker just slightly edging it out.

Think we are looking at two potential 25m+ sellers here.
Would be nice, but I think you're underestimating the number of people who take one look at this and go "but I don't wanna make anything!" before writing it off entirely.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Would be nice, but I think you're underestimating the number of people who take one look at this and go "but I don't wanna make anything!" before writing it off entirely.

I actually think it will have the opposite effect - the game will explode on Twitch and some people will simply want to play it, inspired by whoever they are watching.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Every time I see this thread bumped I hope it's their video haha

Expecting no less than 35 minutes.
Haha, true. I honestly doubt they will find anything new tho.
Too much time passed and too many people analysed the shit out of this trailer.
Most of their analysis is captain obvious stuff imho. No offense.

Last edited:

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Oh neat, it's great how a level will sometimes take on a form you hadn't originally considered once you start putting it to paper. That or experimenting with something while making one level will inspire your next. I often had several WIP levels waiting at once because of that.

People say they don't want to make anything because they have no ideas, but honestly once you get your hands on the editor it's hard to not start getting ideas.

Yes, sharing the course ID works. There's also an official site that you can link to your game and add levels to your queue with a click on your PC or whatever. For example, here's all my levels.

Thanks I remember now, that site. That's what I was trying to think of! Thanks bud! I'm really enjoying playing this game again and it's just making simple generic Mario levels that's so addicting. It feels good to scratch creative itch and Mario just feels so great!

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

3050M.png

Considering the SMB3 backgrounds are these tiny little flat-colored squares in the Mario Maker 1 files, I'd really like more color options. Either a few presets, or letting you tint the whole thing. Maybe even let you do that for all the backgrounds, not just the 8-bit ones.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm wondering how much of a stream monster this will be. Even the original, with a reduced Wii U audience, was pretty huge. With everyone and their dog having a Switch now, this could pretty much explode exponentially.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
RagnarokX's Super Duper Super Mario Maker 2 Analysis:

Themes:
Ground:
SMW
VGVBbSnm.jpg
3DW
Qo6G614m.jpg

Underground:
SMW
baff7o0m.jpg
3DW
y4sdN9gm.jpg

Desert:
SMB3
Ajm6mLim.jpg
3DW
N3rnmX9m.jpg

Underwater:
3DW
g9ZcDULm.jpg

Ice:
NSMBU
fYsq1bam.jpg

Jungle:
SMW
4HCfKMrm.jpg
NSMBU
10kQe6qm.jpg

3DW
9n0jvzEm.jpg

Airship:
SMB
T3II0rUm.jpg
SMB3
k0tAZj6m.jpg

3DW
0Z5uzBJm.jpg

Ghost House:
SMW
LY3DtEem.jpg

Of particular interest: the NSMBU backgrounds are new. In NSMBU all of the ice levels were night-time:
f65Aqle.png

However in Mario Maker it looks like this:
fYsq1ba.jpg

The trees are the only thing from NSMBU.

The NSMBU Jungle one is really weird. The starry background is completely new.
10kQe6q.jpg

Based on these two, ESPECIALLY the NSMBU Jungle part, I'm thinking that each theme has multiple backgrounds you can choose.

This is a different background from the one used in SMM1's SMW ghost houses:
LY3DtEe.jpg

SMM1:
r3JL4whl.jpg

Possibly another example of custom backgrounds

Furthermore, you can add water to levels. This has only been shown in the Jungle theme:
4HCfKMrl.jpg

oyfGy5cl.jpg

...however I imagine you'll be able to add water to any theme.

Of particular note is that there is no poison swamp water in these examples. Does this mean that stuff like water, poison, and lava can all be toggled?

Okay, so new stuff:
Dg5OWaY.jpg

I think the car will replace yoshi in 3DW.
I wonder if Mario can go through red pipes and if they shoot him out like a cannon.

It appears that you won't be able to switch as freely between the styles as you could in the first game. At least perhaps not with 3D World specifically...
nEfOCWq.jpg

SMW style has 4 wheels worth of enemies (the 4 dots under the enemies tab indicates how many wheels)

But 3DW only has 3 wheels worth of enemies:
GyRVruy.jpg

People were wondering what is under the key tab, but you can see one if its wheels on the left here:
T10ElPx.jpg

The yellow key wheel contains things like tracks, coveyor belts, 1 way walls, fire bars, snake blocks, and on/off switches. It likely has more than one wheel.

saRSWTa.jpg

When placing an object, a menu will pop up showing you all of the options that object has. This shows that piranha plant can be normal, fire, big, winged, and/or parachute. This likely is an option to shaking or giving the objects items to transform them.

The left sidebar:
aUxsyvK.jpg

From top to bottom:
  • style
  • theme (underwater)
    • next to that is a greyed-out icon that looks like a boat. I think this is used to add water to levels.
  • camera
    • next to that is a feather (more on that later)
  • time limit
  • goal: it appears you can customize an objective. In this example they've made the goal collecting 100 coins.
  • red and green character button: character or multiplayer toggle?
  • ghost trail
eq5tGJD.jpg

You can make custom autoscrollers that move in multiple directions. Here we see that feather icon has lit up and is the custom scroll button. Also, the camera button turned into a bird.
I believe that you can change the scroll speed at each point by clicking the > and >>. In this example it moves at > speed until it reaches bird 2 and then speeds up.

Regarding vertical levels, I think this is the case, but we can't say for certain from this footage. The screen never scrolls far enough vertically in any of the scenes to say for sure that they go higher than 2 screens like in the first game.

Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Toadette appear to be playable. I wonder if they have different attributes. I think that's what the red/green person toggle is for.

The boat from Mario Paint:
E3n7mRP.jpg

Took me a while to find this even though everyone kept talking about it, thanks for this. vestan , you might want to threadmark this?

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018

If the characters at least had expressions and more interesting lightning/animation sure, but you have Mario doing the same static face during the whole games unless he dies or beats the level. It might have worked on the DS, but at HD it's too noticeable.
screen-super-mushroom.jpg
584df6256a5ae41a83ddee0f.png

It just doesn't look like the artworks, where they always look happy or surprised. (SM3DWorld pic, I know, but it's something they could do to make it interesting.)
I don't even think he needs the shiny plastic lighting because all characters and enemies in these games already have clear shapes and colour design. Have them use a more natural lighting and some fluid animations like in Odyssey and I don't think people would complain that much, and I'm one of those that's begging for them to do a 2D entry Kotabe-style. Heck, isn't this 3D World Style basically that? It looks weird because you know those assets were for a 3D game, but it's what the WiiU entry should have been like.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

3050M.png

4e9a9e69a48ef9d8a9d1e39be3510461.png

They will likely add real alternates for ice levels in SMB3 as well. The game is faithful but I think everyone knows ice background in SMB3 is awful and eye straining.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I never played the original due to never having Wii U, but I liked watching streams of it on Twitch. I am more than willing to purchase Switch now (no idea why I haven't yet). Great news along with Link's Awakening-remake.

Jan 31, 2019
I think they will be incredibly close, with Mario Maker just slightly edging it out.

Think we are looking at two potential 25m+ sellers here.
I agree. The amount of attention Maker 2 will get in streaming, YouTube, social media.....etc is going to blow it up. I think a lot of 30/40 somethings that grew up on Nintendo and don't currently game will be sucked back in by this.

It may have have the Wii blue ocean effect.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the red pipes have one of the following addition function, besides spawning objects faster:
a) Mario gets launched out of the pipe, if he leaves it.
b) They are one way pipes.

Another pipe (yellow) to have the other function, would also be create with the addition to only spawn one element once and when it leaves the screen, be killed, collected, etc..