• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
People shouldn't be too confident that SMB2 is a lock for the extra style. It could be Galaxy, Paper Mario, Land, hell even a 64 skin maybe.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
They didn't include the only good new super mario background PREORDER CANCELED.
JK day one

dA7zybJ.png

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Shame land n' water is locked to the forest theme, no aquatic castles for me

They're using that for desert?

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Well SMW was never exactly an aesthetic variety powerhouse, I think it's kinda clever how it keeps to the Dinosaur Land theme.

People shouldn't be too confident that SMB2 is a lock for the extra style. It could be Galaxy, Paper Mario, Land, hell even a 64 skin maybe.
Yoshi's Island theme pls

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
That's more levels than a full price 2D Mario game isn't it?

I'm wondering if there will be a way to access levels made in MM1 or indeed the many bonus levels Nintendo themselves designed for it. It would be a shame if they were all marooned on the wii and 3DS

NSMBU had about 85-88 courses? So yes - but I don't think all the stages will be as long as they typically would be. Still, I'd expect Story Mode to take a good amount of time to beat.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Great Direct. Already have my copy on reserve with a local mom and pop store that sells first runs of their brand new games for $10 off retail price. That plus a $10 gift card I have with them and I'll be getting it for only $39. It's too bad an online sub is required but I'm currently only paying about $3.50 a year for Switch Online thanks to a family I'm on so I'm golden there.

Anyways, all the new additions look great, can't wait to dig into this. SMB 2 USA as the additional style companion next to 3DW actually makes more sense now as a possibility since 3DW is confined to its own feature set.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
So that's it? No smash announcement? No new game? Wow.
Seriously, I just finished watching the Super Mario Maker 2 direct expecting a tease or a new game announcement and they left me hanging. Just wasted 30 minutes because I didn't realize the direct hadn't started yet and I kept watching till it did.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This was a good direct that kinda paced itself weirdly, ending on bizarre voucher that wasn't even SMM2 specific was odd

Also I'm 99% certain the Invitational or E3 Direct will announce the SMB2USA Extra Game Style. Just seems like a hype thing for them to do, and it's almost criminal if they DON'T put in SMB2 now they actively made a subcategory that doesn't require parity with the other themes.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap that was one of the best "game" directs we ever got. That shit made me hype for MM2 and I aint even care for the 1st one

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they're not planning to ever make a new 2D Mario because they will NEVER top this
Wtf

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Capes, Tanooki Leaves, Yoshi, Propeller Suits, Goomba's Shoes, etc are still exclusive to certain styles.
If you want vertical throwing you need SMW, if you want to limit wall jump you have to go pre NSMB and so on.
I feel like a lot of designs could be cheesed pretty easily with M3DWorld moveset.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I currently have a family online account. Will the bundle renew the family membership or only a individual membership?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks great! Only disappointment is that 3D World is a separate mode, I wish all those gameplay elements had been designed to be universal. Also would be nice to have an additional theme announced, no surprises in that area. Yoshi's Island?

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
Went from a probable purchase to a definite one. Can see myself playing a lot more of this now that it's portable.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
I think E3 will have a 2-3 minute mention of Super Mario Maker 2 without mention to check out the invitational. Excellent idea to have this direct for a game that is a month and a half away since there would have been so much complaining about spending 15 minutes on a game less than a month away.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused on why anyone would bother with any styles outside of the 3D World one with all the unique features it has.
SMB Mystery Mushrooms (presumably since they don't appear in the direct), goomba shoe
SMB 3 Raccoon suit, goomba shoe
SMW Cape, Shell tossing, Yoshi
NSMB Spin jump, Propeller hat, Yoshi

So there's still plenty of unique things and lots of other unique things they might have added too

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Holy crap. Is amazing how Nintendo is making one of their own releases, NSMBU, look EVEN MORE like sh*t. I'm genuinely sad for the people who got that at full price.

SMM2 is one of the most content packed games that I've ever seen, is delivering from every angle including single and multiplayer options. It even makes the original SMM, which was already a great game, look like a prototype. This is basically the Super Smash Bros Ultimate of 2D Marios.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Honestly, this little direct was packed and great! There's a reason SMM2 is my most anticipated Switch title this year. The streams and playing it myself is going to consume so much of my time come June 28th lol. Goodbye social life and productivity.