Super Mario Maker 2 Direct (May 15 at 3 p.m. PT / 6 p.m, 15 minutes) [See threadmark]

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I am so fucking hyped holy shit. I'm getting those vouchers and snagging some games along with SMM2.

Unless something is horribly broken this game is going to be hard to topple for my game of the year/generation. Shit, gonna watch it again again.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Something that worries me.

So for internet multiplayer, the Direct says it selects random levels (from online, presumably).

Then when they create a room for local multiplayer, it mentions that one player has to have an internet connection, and shows them setting up a room. It then asks them to select course difficulty, shows a screen about fetching level data from the server, and then cuts to the next part about standings and ratings in local.

The first thing that worries me is that unless it's nested inside the global options, doesn't look like any option to set up an online room for friends. The second is that the fact that it asks you for a difficulty setting implies that even in local co-op, you have to select a randomly selected course online instead of being able to manually select your own created levels. I hope I'm wrong and it's a further option or it's just in Coursebot instead, but that's the exact kind of weird arbitrary limitations you'd expect if there were any.

Dark Cloud

Oct 27, 2017
Can we not play online with friends?? If not then this is a waste of time. I don’t give a crap to play online levels with random people

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Still no way to link levels together. That's a shame.

Hoping for a Super Mario Bros 2 announcement though. Seems like that's possible now.

seloth

Oct 11, 2018
I'm gonna have to say I was blown away by the amount of new stuff they've added into the game. I wasn't really expecting that much.

FearMyWrench

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I was really hoping they would fix the rating system, this is very worrisome and could make it worse. This just opens the way to a bunch of annoying scrub players leaving dislikes on challenging yet well designed levels.
Maybe you have to complete the level to leave a dislike?

Dislikes could be good to help purge the garbage levels though. There was no way to actually express that they were garbage before other than choosing not to star it.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
Maybe you have to complete the level to leave a dislike?

Dislikes could be good to help purge the garbage levels though. There was no way to actually express that they were garbage before other than choosing not to star it.
Yeah if you have to finish a level to dislike that would be a good filter.

I'm a little miffed it looks like with night elements it looks like its all or nothing, you can't choose the look without the gimmick or vice versa

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
So is there no local, same device multiplayer beyond level creation?

I only saw them mention online multiplayer or multiple Switch multiplayer.

Edit: saw the thread specifically for the multiplayer mode(s). That's a shame, that was one of the main things I was looking for from this game. :/

packy17

Oct 27, 2017
I was kinda hoping they'd have something akin to the LBP hub where you could browse courses online via a web browser and queue them up for play later. It would have made level sharing and discovery so much better.

Not to say that it hasn't improved over the first game, but it could have been near perfect.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I was kinda hoping they'd have something akin to the LBP hub where you could browse courses online via a web browser and queue them up for play later. It would have made level sharing and discovery so much better.

Not to say that it hasn't improved over the first game, but it could have been so much better.
Smash Bros basically has this on the Nintendo online app, wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing here

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Game will be masterful, but man I wish Nintendo took a cue from Sakurai and was more flexible with certain options, i.e. playing with friends, separating the night themes from their gimmicks, etc

Teppic

Oct 25, 2017
I like a lot of the new features. I was perhaps hoping for even more features, like more bosses, custom music, more powerups, new themes, but what they've shown is cool. The only thing I'm really don't like are the upside down levels. I don't ever want to play a level that is upside down.

I'm a bit worried about other features though. Having to pay a online fee to just download/upload levels makes me partly want to skip the game. And having to pay a fee and connect online to play local wireless is awful. There's also no local play on top of that?

The game is missing features like 100 mario, costumes? I don't mind trying out endless mode, but why take away 100 mario challenge? Can we play it online with friends or not? How does things like tags, level search, level sharing outside of the game, endles mode work exactly?

This direct answered a many questions but also created a lot of new ones. I think they should have made it more clear in the direct about what the game has or don't have instead of showing a 5 minute tutorial. There shouldn't be this many questions this close to release.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Peach should be playable in games like this. Still, it looks terrific.

The stylus is only available in EU and Japan? Bummer.
Game will be masterful, but man I wish Nintendo took a cue from Sakurai and was more flexible with certain options, i.e. playing with friends, separating the night themes from their gimmicks, etc
...can you not play with friends?

Dark Cloud

Oct 27, 2017
Peach should be playable in games like this. Still, it looks terrific.

The stylus is only available in EU and Japan? Bummer.

...can you not play with friends?
Have you seen online with friends? I’m like the only person calling Nintendo out on it. They haven’t said you can play online with friends

packy17

Oct 27, 2017
Idk, there was chatter in here about randos only, so I figured Ninty was being back-asswards again
Well... they didn't specifically say you could invite friends, which is probably where the confusion is coming from. Normally this would be taken for granted, but this is Nintendo we're talking about - the company that doesn't let you group with friends in Splatoon 2. So who knows.

Splendy

Oct 25, 2017
Idk, there was chatter in here about randos only, so I figured Ninty was being back-asswards again
I think its more that they were no confirmation of online friend play, and that, paired with ninty's aforementioned history, has lead to concerns. Still no confirmation that its "*not* in there so it could go either way. Here's hoping

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
Noticed you can dislike levels now. Not sure I like that decision. That's a recipe for disaster if dislikes are public.
It's something that is going to discourage people from making levels, and that's the worst thing this game can do.
On the other side, I hate troll and unfair levels with a passion and downvoting cheap death traps would encourage better level design. I hope the negative votes are not public tho. Just for internal control or maybe to lower the odds for those levels to appear randomly in the challenge.

Very nice the option to assign tags for musical and auto-Mario levels in the search options, if they add a "Kaizo" tag so I can exclude them, I'll be pretty happy. Mega-Pro streamers could be in Heaven and the rest of mortals, too.

Oct 27, 2017
These new toolsets will likely make weep uncontrollable and then I will go to youtube to watch Patrick Klepek weeping uncontrollably playing the same levels.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
1) Im sure more things will be shown during E3 week at the treehouse, you don’t think that direct showed you everything do you? Gotta leave some stuff to show off, however see 2.

2) anything your disappointed missing could either - be patched in (game modes for local play example) , added as dlc ( super mario 2/gameboy stuff) or in Super Mario Maker 3 (n64, galaxy, Odyssey or indeed kart stuff)

Last edited:

packy17

Oct 27, 2017
2) anything your disappointed missing could either - be patched in (game modes for local play example) , added as dlc ( super mario 2/gameboy stuff) or in Super Mario Maker 3 (n64, galaxy, Odyssey or indeed kart stuff)
"Didn't get what you wanted? Wait 4-5 years for another sequel!"

sorry, but I find take really funny, lol