• The site will be down for scheduled maintenance this Friday the 24th at 2AM PST / 5AM EST / 9AM UTC while we perform a software update. We expect this process to take up to 5 hours. Thank you for your understanding and patience. New features will be included.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Super Mario Maker 2 Direct (May 15 at 3 p.m. PT / 6 p.m, 15 minutes) [See threadmark]

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty disappointing how they're handling night versions. It appears that, except for ghost house, every other theme uses the same starry sky background across the board.

So instead of going from this: (SMM2)

to this: (NSMBU)

or this: (NSMBU)

We get a plain sky with nothing between it and the foreground: (SMM2)

Also I wish they would give use more decorative elements. It's still just 3 semisolids. Adding trees and stuff like in that first NSMBU shot can make a world of difference in making a level look less plain.

Based on this screenshot even castle uses this background:

Oct 25, 2017
Courseb

Also it's a bit interesting. We see in this screenshot...

It's obfuscated by the poison water, but the whole ground is nothing but vertical small pipes. Also note that the aesthetic pieces, which only randomly appear on terrain, are pipes with valves and such. Weird semisolids...

The ground in this shot:

is actually just a sideways yellow warp pipe.

Another giveaway is that water is only on forest theme.

They're trying to emulate this level in particular:
I appreciate that they're sorta giving us pipe maze, since that's one of the most unique worlds in 2D Mario.

I haven't kept up with the thread, what's the consensus on the Choco Island shot we saw? Is it just the SMW version of a new theme (desert?) or are we thinking something unannounced, like mountain?

Oct 26, 2017
I appreciate that they're sorta giving us pipe maze, since that's one of the most unique worlds in 2D Mario.

I haven't kept up with the thread, what's the consensus on the Choco Island shot we saw? Is it just the SMW version of a new theme (desert?) or are we thinking something unannounced, like mountain?
It's desert. The direct labeled it as desert when they went over the night versions.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty disappointing how they're handling night versions. It appears that, except for ghost house, every other theme uses the same starry sky background across the board.

So instead of going from this: (SMM2)

to this: (NSMBU)

or this: (NSMBU)

We get a plain sky with nothing between it and the foreground: (SMM2)

Also I wish they would give use more decorative elements. It's still just 3 semisolids. Adding trees and stuff like in that first NSMBU shot can make a world of difference in making a level look less plain.

Based on this screenshot even castle uses this background:
At least it's not a still iamge of the night sky, I guess.
It'd still be better if, like you said, it was a starry sky box version of the standard theme (so you got the trees on snow theme, the hills on ground theme, etc) but the movement and showing different star pattersn, constellations, and swirly galaxies will help keep it less plain then it could have

Nov 27, 2018
You get a fucking car in Mario.

I suspect that there will be DLC and it will be expensive.

Now I need to figure out how to get time off work. This is going to consume me.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
All of the DLC content in the original was free, and if they add more here it would probably be free too.
I think some stuff will be free but I can very easily see others being paid.

Like a few new items like we had in SMM1? Modes, likely? Obviously free.

But new game styles? I'd be surprised if we got any for free, assuming we get more in the first place, of course. Especially if we have any more 3d game -> 2D conversions since there'll be way more to implement.

Oct 25, 2017
So much added but I agree with some of the negatives. This is coming out two years into the switch.

Maybe they will add content over time. Super hyped for it.

Oct 26, 2017
At least it's not a still iamge of the night sky, I guess.
It'd still be better if, like you said, it was a starry sky box version of the standard theme (so you got the trees on snow theme, the hills on ground theme, etc) but the movement and showing different star pattersn, constellations, and swirly galaxies will help keep it less plain then it could have
I think it's especially bad for themes like forest where it gets rid of all the trees. Not much of a forest anymore.

You go from this:

to this:

When these backgrounds already exists:

Oct 25, 2017
My favourite gameplay loop by Nintendo has always either been classic 2D Mario, or maybe Mario Kart (but that gameplay hasn't addicted me in all games, it only really felt good to me from the DS and GameCube version onwards). When I bought a Switch a couple months after release, a Maker port was the main thing I wanted, between the fact I never owned a Wii U (I played it a fair amount at a buddy's house) and the portability of it. I bought Maker for the 3DS, but it really wasn't the same: I was ready for the big thing.

After seeing this direct last night, I am ready for this to become my favourite Nintendo game ever. It expands on the core of the 2D Mario gameplay that it's insane, allowing people to customize so much shit like the water, the backdrops, the autoscroll, even adding bonkers stuff like the car. And most importantly, it finally seems to come as a full online package with proper level sharing, level tagging, level searches, co-op and competitive modes (Jazz Jackrabbit 2 two decades ago had a very addictive multiplayer because of these features and I'm so happy a big platformer is finally taking cues from it) and tons of different playlists to try the community's crazy levels.

I never really doubted my Switch purchase's usefulness, bar a bit of an empty spell last year in which I barely even touched the console for a couple months, but Maker 2 is almost gonna justify it on its own. It's the game I wanted and then some, and I expect it to become a serious time sink of mine. Having such a competent and exciting Maker on the go without the crippling limitations of the 3DS version and a lot of unexpected online goodness... yeah, chances are this will be my most played game on Switch, and quite possibly my favourite Nintendo first party ever made.

I really, really hope they don't screw something up along the way, because this Direct sold me 120%.

Dec 31, 2017
United Kingdom
Would be great if OP updated the first post with all the details from the direct but whatever.
Yep, this is gonna be a day one purchase like SMB:U. Thanks to Twitch Prime for the year of Online too.

Feb 26, 2019
Cant understand the reaction. It is amazing that we are able to construct so many things and are able to choose between so many options. I'm Glas that i can play that.
Only one more month.
I love the 3D World focus. Such an amazing game

Oct 25, 2017
corvallis, OR
considering the amount of completely bullshit exploits that let you break the game in half and make bizarre levels that shouldnt work in mario maker 1, i have to imagine adding all this other complexity on top of it is going to one day lead to levels that are so incomprehensible they implode in on themselves like a neutron star

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing Direct, too much to list but very pleased with controllable/changeable auto-scrolling and changeable water/lava levels.

The 3D World look and feature set is incredible!

Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I just watched it and I'm very pleased with what I saw. Lots of new features that will allow to witness incredible creativity. Not a fan of the 3d world theme, it's visually too close to nsmb, but I admit it has a lot more gameplay differences from other themes.
I obviously expect DLC, which should be free if it's the same as the first game.
The online feature is more fleshed out than what I expected (I didn't think online versus or co-op would be a thing). The online sub requirement is a bummer but was totally expected, they want to sell their crappy service after all.
I just preloaded it, as I want this to be permanently on my system and took the special edition, for the stylus and the 10€ cut on the online sub.
Can't wait to play this.

Oct 25, 2017
France
Looks insane. They added way more stuff than I was expecting. This is a day one purchase now. Even though I think the new possibilities are probably going to be too overwhelming for me and I don't see myself creating as many levels as in the first one. Still, this should be great.

Oct 26, 2017
Splitting it into parts:

1. Pipes come in smaller sizes and can be diagonal
    • This is incorrect as far as we know. This is just what the ground looks like in SMB3 Forest, which is emulating Pipe Maze from SMB3. Which is the answer to Andre's question about what theme it is.
  2. New sound effects
  3. Luigi's SMW sprite is the All Stars version.
  4. NSMBU underground now has waterfalls. NSMBU airship mushroom platforms now have a mechanical look.
    • NSMBU underground actually always had those waterfalls. They just made the water more opaque and blue this time. It looks like they've increased the saturation/contrast on a lot of backgrounds.
  5. Spin jump in 3DW
  6. ! symbol when block contains an item is now in the bottom right corner instead of center. In multiplayer a ? block can be hit multiple times and multiple mushrooms come out
  7. In multiplayer you just respawn. No bubbles.
  8. There are a couple of scenes where boo rings move towards Mario without being on a track.
  9. There's a cartoon robot floating in space in the background of the course world menu.
  10. The fishbones on the fishbones t-shirt is animated.

Feb 26, 2019
I'm such a dang sucker for avatar customization. That feature has me as hyped as anything else.
But it is only a mii and they are still the same sterile characters. That is the only complain I have with SMM2.
I thought they'd got rid of them and they are a relic of the past

Oct 25, 2017
I said something similar, it makes the first one look like a tech demo.
That's a better way of putting it, yeah. This is the sort of sequel jump that transcends mere generational differences.

As for the potential second extra style...what would the various games do?

For instance, for a SMB2 style:
-Throwable vegetables/enemies/ground things
-Different enemies: Birdo, shy guys, etc
-Stop watch
-Secret potion room potential?
-Digging and quicksand?

Would be my guesses. Maybe new health mechanics, maybe new character stats (but probably not).

What about for other styles though? SML, SMG...even Odyssey could be brought to 2D as a style.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it isn't Land or Land 2. Those are too similar to the regular game styles to really be "extra". SMB2 is the most likely imo, but I guess if they go a bit crazy we could see SM64 or SMO.
No, I imagine not. I expect for the 3D>2D stuff they'd mostly add things to Mario (hat stuff, midair kicks, outfits/transformations, etc etc), although I can imagine an interpretation of Galaxy getting crazy with what they'd add to the actual level design side of things.

Oct 27, 2017
Had a thought & know it’s early talk but the Next game in the series should clearly be

Super Mario Maker 3D

Mario 64
Sunshine

Galaxy 1
Galaxy 2
Odyssey

So it feels fresh & different leaving SMM2 as the final 2D Mario package, anything missing 2D wise from SMM2 currently should be dlc.

Then move onto a 3D Mario Games Maker in 4-5 yrs possibly with a new more powerful Switch by then.

Oct 25, 2017
US, California
Not sure how I missed this until now but holy shit at all that stuff packed into 17 mins. Like just... wow. It just kept going and getting better and better. Nintendo knocked it out of the park with that presentation and can't wait to play this game.