• The site will be down for scheduled maintenance this Friday the 24th at 2AM PST / 5AM EST / 9AM UTC while we perform a software update. We expect this process to take up to 5 hours. Thank you for your understanding and patience. New features will be included.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Super Mario Maker 2 Direct (May 15 at 3 p.m. PT / 6 p.m, 15 minutes) [See threadmark]

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, which other service sets a minimum purchase of $100 for their discounts to apply?
LOL You already get a discount (cashback) on all digital games via gold coins so there is no €100 minimum. They have eshop sales as well continuously if you haven't noticed?

Its only a €100 minimum here because you are able to use it on games that you know, cost €60 on launch.

Lol such a weird issue you seem to have over a completely optional discount. Bizarre

Oct 27, 2017
so, i'm not sure i got it right. do you need NSO just for uploading and sharing the levels you've made? can someone download other people's levels without NSO?

Oct 28, 2017
I saw the mention of "disliking levels" a few pages ago and people getting worried about that feature.

However, doesn't this simply mean it works like Steam? ie: You dislike it for yourself so it doesn't show up in your feed any more?

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see any 3d world multiplayer in there anywhere, did I get that right?
I'm pretty sure there was, the clip where they're all bouncing around in the start box.
so, i'm not sure i got it right. do you need NSO just for uploading and sharing the levels you've made? can someone download other people's levels without NSO?
I don't think so, I'm pretty sure all and any online interactions requires a sub.

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Mario 64 2D with Metal Mario would be really cool. Also cannons you can shoot out of, maybe even flight? Maybe a castle level theme? Tick tock theme? Maybe throwable bosses? Race to finish against Kooper levels?

And amazing music!

Apr 9, 2019
Looks like they couldn't convert the 3D World style into sprites the way they did with NSMBU. Would explain why it's incompatible with the other styles.

Story mode looks like it could be quite involved. Would be awesome!

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so, I'm pretty sure all and any online interactions requires a sub.
bummer. i'm subbed but it would have been nice for people without NSO to at least have a way of downloading some levels. maybe just access to the popular courses tab or something.

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like they couldn't convert the 3D World style into sprites the way they did with NSMBU. Would explain why it's incompatible with the other styles.

Story mode looks like it could be quite involved. Would be awesome!
Actually I think it's the other way around. They didn't want to make new 3D Models and animations for things 3D World didn't have so they decided to just make it unique.

Some things are weird, like trampoline mushrooms being exclusive when they'd be really easy to make sprites for. The NSMB games had them.

Oct 28, 2017
LOL You already get a discount (cashback) on all digital games via gold coins so there is no €100 minimum. They have eshop sales as well continuously if you haven't noticed?

Its only a €100 minimum here because you are able to use it on games that you know, cost €60 on launch.

Lol such a weird issue you seem to have over a completely optional discount. Bizarre
No, you're simply moving the goalposts. You said that PS Plus does the same thing as this. But they don't.

No one said they offered a $100 minimum purchase on every single discounted item, only on this specific offer. Yes, you can use it on games that cost $60 at launch. Although many of the titles are older and have already been discounted for less than $50, and most people do not make $50 games purchases in pairs.

As for PS Plus discounts versus the eShop sales, I rather wish Nintendo would offer that degree of discount, where a major exclusive title like Horizon can be discounted to around $10 with all of its DLC included. Have they done anything like that with Zelda? I believe PSN had God of War for $35 recently. The degree of discount offered in PSN sales isn't remotely comparable to Nintendo's discounts, which I rightly described as meager.

As for my "bizarre" issue with this, I simply made an off-handed remark that it's funny Nintendo seems to think this is some fantastic discount and that it's a comment on how poor their discounts are compared to other platforms. I find it much more bizarre that so many people feel the need to pile in to defend Nintendo's honor on the issue of pricing because of a short comment made in passing during a quick-moving thread on a livestream

Dec 5, 2017
My last post on this as it's totally offtopic. Well, they could do anything but it would be counterproductive, I'm sure Nintendo is looking for a cleaner and fresher experience with it. As far as I know, NSMBU isn't competitive and the bubble thing would certainly not work in Mario Maker. In any case, eShop says the game supports up to 4 people (see edit post: https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...uirements-and-multiplayer-limitations.117196/), so maybe there's a mode we don't know yet, but I don't expect race modes and so to be local co-op compatible, it would just not work properly.
I dont see how could be counterproductive, maybe only that NSMBU would be less popular.
Thats a point, they could easily include at least co-op not vs mode, and yes, bubble thing and screen zoom could easily work also like it works in New Super Luigi U that also has fast levels.
If game really supports 4 co-op local multiplayer, than it's totally different thing.

Nov 7, 2017
I dont see how could be counterproductive, maybe only that NSMBU would be less popular.
Thats a point, they could easily include at least co-op not vs mode, and yes, bubble thing and screen zoom could easily work also like it works in New Super Luigi U that also has fast levels.
If game really supports 4 co-op local multiplayer, than it's totally different thing.
Co-op in smaller and slow paced courses would work but I don't know how could the game differentiate which levels are fast and not, maybe story mode has co-op? We'll see.

Jan 10, 2018
Sydney, Australia
I don't see any 3d world multiplayer in there anywhere, did I get that right?
There are multiple clips with 3D World multiplayer, such as:

On an unrelated note, I managed to find clean versions of the screenshots from the Japanese ad, so here's a cleaner look at the NSMBU Night Castle (which... doesn't really look castle-like anymore)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

On an unrelated note, I managed to find clean versions of the screenshots from the Japanese ad, so here's a cleaner look at the NSMBU Night Castle (which... doesn't really look castle-like anymore)

Really seams like they dropped the ball on the night backgrounds.

Thwimps would be cool.

Oct 25, 2017
I’m PRAYING Nintendo just decided not to reveal you can play multiplayer online with your friends today and will announce it at E3.
That's not really 'announcement' material. I could easily believe that Nintendo thought it wasn't something that needed stating... but I could easily also believe that it's something Nintendo didn't consider.

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Nice! Glad to be wrong on this one :P

It's still weird that this might support full on online multiplayer over local multiplayer. This feels like something very Un-Nintendo to do.

I mean, it's local builder vs. versus and co-op level runs. Feels like it would have been the other way around a few years ago.

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo are really the best at making a game look more and more interesting the closer the release date.
All the new features sound awesome.

Nov 2, 2017
Of all the things revealed in the trailer, I think I'm disproportionately excited about the Dry Bones Shell. Hoping it will become a staple in the series.

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope those blinking blocks will have a faster setting. Those were some of the most fun and difficult stages in 3D world and it would translate amazingly well to kaizo mario.

Apr 9, 2019
Actually I think it's the other way around. They didn't want to make new 3D Models and animations for things 3D World didn't have so they decided to just make it unique.

Some things are weird, like trampoline mushrooms being exclusive when they'd be really easy to make sprites for. The NSMB games had them.
Ah right, that makes sense too. Would be labour-intensive and it seems they already had quite a bit on their plate.

And BTW, ain't it funny that the way forward for the 3D World style... is 2D? =P Really glad the awesome soundtrack made it over, let's hope there's a lot of it there!

And the new Kondo tracks are wildly interesting as well...

Apr 10, 2019

Surprised nobody catch this yet. This show that the Super Famicom logo some people saw is probably a new sound effect that play Mario Circuit from Super Mario Kart. (which could be a double reference. As 3D World also had a level based on Mario Kart and played a rendition of the same music.)

Oct 27, 2017
I don’t think that last game is Super Mario Bros 2. I think it’s possibly Super Mario Odyssey. What a way to capitalize on the success of that game by bringing a 2D version into Mario Maker.

Jan 10, 2018
Sydney, Australia

Surprised nobody catch this yet. This show that the Super Famicom logo some people saw is probably a new sound effect that play Mario Circuit from Super Mario Kart. (which could be a double reference. As 3D World also had a level based on Mario Kart and played a rendition of the same music.)
Thought I saw this mentioned somewhere here already, but I guess not. Having Mario Circuit available to play in this game through this sound effect will be very cool! Won't be that great in non-3D World themes without the car though.

Oct 27, 2017

I brought up the Super Famicom logo. It’s cool to see what exactly it is.

Oct 27, 2017
No, you're simply moving the goalposts. You said that PS Plus does the same thing as this. But they don't.

No one said they offered a $100 minimum purchase on every single discounted item, only on this specific offer. Yes, you can use it on games that cost $60 at launch. Although many of the titles are older and have already been discounted for less than $50, and most people do not make $50 games purchases in pairs.

As for PS Plus discounts versus the eShop sales, I rather wish Nintendo would offer that degree of discount, where a major exclusive title like Horizon can be discounted to around $10 with all of its DLC included. Have they done anything like that with Zelda? I believe PSN had God of War for $35 recently. The degree of discount offered in PSN sales isn't remotely comparable to Nintendo's discounts, which I rightly described as meager.

As for my "bizarre" issue with this, I simply made an off-handed remark that it's funny Nintendo seems to think this is some fantastic discount and that it's a comment on how poor their discounts are compared to other platforms. I find it much more bizarre that so many people feel the need to pile in to defend Nintendo's honor on the issue of pricing because of a short comment made in passing during a quick-moving thread on a livestream
You're complaint was no one else puts a discount tied to an online membership - exactly what PS Plus discounts are.

You said there is a €100 discount paywall which is not true given there are sales all the time on the eshop + you get money back on every single digital purchase

What do you expect? Nintendo to offer 20% off every single game on the shop?

PS and Xbox certainly have deeper discounts over time on first party titles but can you get any big 1st party preorders for equivalent €50 like you do with this promotion? No.

Both platforms offer different things. You won't find first party Nintendo games for half price after a few months for obvious reasons, if you don't like it then don't buy a Nintendo system

Sep 7, 2018
Shit looks hella dope. The biggest surprise for me is seeing 3D World in a separate category from the others: Extra Game Styles and there was another empty space next to it which suggests to me that we're going to get at least another game style for the game whether it's hidden or DLC.

I know it's too different from other Mario games, but I want it to be Yoshi's Island.