• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Huh, so the eShop page implies that there might be local multiplayer on a single system after all? Guess we'll see if it has split-screen or something.

Nov 23, 2017
Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed in that 3D World is restricted to itself. I was hoping to take take Cat Mario to other themes. Also, I wasn't sure if this was confirmed but I hope that we don't have to use the new theme songs in the new themes. I'd like to use the regular SMW music theme inside of the forest theme instead of the new tune. Otherwise, this looks phenomenal and is a day one purchase for me.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, so the eShop page implies that there might be local multiplayer on a single system after all? Guess we'll see if it has split-screen or something.

That's how the multiplayer creating works, so it could just mean that?

so it wasnt mentioned but i wonder if they will do that timed unlock system they had in the first game.

i hope not.

They definitely mentioning unlocking when it came to the night themes, but I feel like the implication is on earning them through the story. Since they talk about learning from the story.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Did you play the first game? Level creation is surprisingly easy...and fun! Super Mario Maker is the by far the most enjoyable level creation tool on the market and it's very accessible to people who don't normally like to create things, such as myself.
I did, it's easy but it requires a good effort to make something meaningful and fun especially now that there are so many new stuff. Of course I will do my efforts but I expect to be playing a lot more than creating.

Oct 28, 2017
On the one hand I want to hit that preorder button on the eshop right now. On the other hand I assume that will activate my year of NSO now and it seems smarter to wait until release is closer to get max use out of it.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Just watched the direct and...damn, I can't believe how much new content there is compared to MM1. Super exited for this. I only fear the Amiibo costumes have been dropped but maybe that will be announced later.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually happy and relieved that 3D World is its own thing. A big issue I had with the first game was how limited a lot of it felt because they were restricted by making everything have to work within each style. Really happy they're not restricting 3D World like that.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
From what I remember, the first Super Mario Maker didn't support one of the most basic parts of Super Mario games: Having different items pop out of question marks depending on your current status. For example, a fire flower should only appear if you have a mushroom active. If you're small Mario, a mushroom should appear instead (there are specific exceptions from this, but they are extremely rare). In SMM1, a fire flower (and other powerups) would appear no matter what your current status was.

Do we know if this has changed for SMM2?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
3D World not being tied to the other themes is a bit disappointing (since I would really love to use some of those exclusive items in the SMW theme), but it does open up some great potential for another theme in the "Extra Game Styles" tab.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
From what I remember, the first Super Mario Maker didn't support one of the most basic parts of Super Mario games: Having different items pop out of question marks depending on your current status. For example, a fire flower should only appear if you have a mushroom active. If you're small Mario, a mushroom should appear instead (there are specific exceptions from this, but they are extremely rare). In SMM1, a fire flower (and other powerups) would appear no matter what your current status was.

They added that in a post launch update patch so I'm sure it's in here.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
From what I remember, the first Super Mario Maker didn't support one of the most basic parts of Super Mario games: Having different items pop out of question marks depending on your current status. For example, a fire flower should only appear if you have a mushroom active.

It did. They added it in an update not long after release.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

They added that to the original Mario Maker after it released. It's almost definitely back here

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3D World can be 3D World without worrying about being limited because it had to tie in with other games.

Now this other mode could be SMB2 and you'll know you'll get the full SMB2 experience without being hindered.

Magicmilner

Alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Not had a chance to watch yet but i'm guessing we still don't have the option to string levels together on a world map?

Did they say the game would be supported with more features/content after launch?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Not had a chance to watch yet but i'm guessing we still don't have the option to string levels together on a world map?

Did they say the game would be supported with more features/content after launch?
Still can't connect stages together.

They didn't announce post-launch plans, but they didn't announce it for the original either, so I have no doubt that post-release content is planned. We might hear about it at the E3 invitational.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo could still announce a World Map at E3, but I feel like there won't be one. They said they have more surprises. You know Nintendo doesn't always show everything.

They seemed to show off all the menus so yeah I don't expect any map.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
In this video you cna actually hear it's using the Mario Kart music (probably a sound effect tied to it hence the Super Famicom logo)

The clips before and after it seem interesting too; for some reason the SMB Ghost House and SMB3 Underground themes are playing over their 3D World equivalent stages. It's probably just video editing magic, but... dare I dream for music mixing and matching (which would explain the SMW overworld remix in the original trailer)?

Dec 11, 2017
I'm so excited for this, but I just realised I want to see Mario Kart Maker with custom tracks across generations. Oh my god give it to me.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget that you can still get a year of Switch Online from Twitch Prime. It stacks if you're already a subscriber as well.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The clips before and after it seem interesting too; for some reason the SMB Ghost House and SMB3 Underground themes are playing over their 3D World equivalent stages. It's probably just video editing magic, but... dare I dream for music mixing and matching (which would explain the SMW overworld remix in the original trailer)?
Potentially, yes
rDol9cs.png

That vinyl up at the top might be music selection?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
At least underwater night time has a custom background

Wonder why Ghost House and Underwater got lucky enough to have their own backgrounds

It looks sooooo weird in Underground/Castle/Jungle