• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 21, 2018
Not being able to place water/lava/poison in any theme you want is just stupid and I don't see any logic in it.

While I agree, for the amount they are pumping into this game, I can overlook this. The theme/background is largely cosmetic, so any idea with water you can conceive of, in say, the desert, you can just make in the default forrest or whatever.

They may have also figured, with the delicate balance of giving options but making it user-friendly, that limiting the rising water to one theme was more efficient. Again, for how much they are putting into this (like online play, who the hell ever expected that?!), I can give them a pass on the water thing.

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
"My, that's a ton of graph paper. Whatcha need it for?"
"Oh, you know, work and stuff..."

7472294_stock-photo-several-stacks-of-paper.jpg
Yes! If only I actually had graph paper available.

Already came up with more level ideas since my last post. :p

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
They did say that items change because of night, and we only saw the Rotten Mushroom in the Direct. The Boos are probably strengthened up at night.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I really want to know if I can make just the sub area night theme. All these exclusive items and mechanics requiring you to use a certain theme is really annoying. Why can't I just put a rotten mushroom wherever I want?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think this game is going to be a lot like Smash Ultimate, where it greatly expands and improves on almost everything, but is held back by weird arbitrary decisions that make the whole experience clunkier than it needs to be. I hope that's not the case, but some of the weird rules about what can be used where, which seem both far more asinine and commonplace than those in the first game, force me to let my hype down ever so slightly. Still, since those issues in Smash didn't stop it from being a fantastic game I expect the same overall reaction here, disappointment about what could have been, but joy in the generally strong product we got in the end.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to know if I can make just the sub area night theme. All these exclusive items and mechanics requiring you to use a certain theme is really annoying. Why can't I just put a rotten mushroom wherever I want?
I am pretty sure you can! The end of the recent arino video shows off his full level which starts in day time ground and the subarea is night ground https://youtu.be/tX8ji-GT1PI?t=1260

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if the story mode will have create style levels to it. Like little contextualised creation tutorials as missions for you. As well as showing you the possibilities with Nintendo made levels I think it would be good to have specific creation tasks for the player to accomplish so that it gets them used to various tools.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play the first one, but this looks amazing. I kinda just want to make "normal" Mario levels though - puzzles and kaizo just aren't interesting to me. The standard Mario formula of introducing a gimmick in a safe environment then ramping it up, and allowing the level to flow at high speed for advanced play - I want to try and emulate that.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I totally dispute the idea that their games are uniquely evergreen and Sony and Microsoft's games aren't.

Sony and Microsoft make games that are more mainstream in the market, and that overlap with other 3rd-party publishers. They're not the only ones who make cinematic adventures. They have the incentive because they actually compete with their 3rd-party support.

Nintendo... well no one is making those kinda games, so there's no competition to force them to drop prices.

See the March NPD. How many Sony or MS games are in the top 20? I see Zelda, MK and Smash still charting. Former 2 are over two years old, with one being a port even.

Hell, even in the Sony Top 10, there's only Spider-Man for 1st-party.

Last edited:

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
I didn't play the first one, but this looks amazing. I kinda just want to make "normal" Mario levels though - puzzles and kaizo just aren't interesting to me. The standard Mario formula of introducing a gimmick in a safe environment then ramping it up, and allowing the level to flow at high speed for advanced play - I want to try and emulate that.
That's pretty much my favorite thing to do with Mario Maker. Center on one or two ideas and develop them over the course of the level, just like in modern Mario games.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
I totally dispute the idea that their games are uniquely evergreen and Sony and Microsoft's games aren't.
Nintendo games have this way of staying in top 10/ top 20 sales charts for many years after release, especially compared to Sony/Microsoft first party titles (though Sony titles have certainly improved in this regard recently).

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
That's pretty much my favorite thing to do with Mario Maker. Center on one or two ideas and develop them over the course of the level, just like in modern Mario games.
That's a great thing to do but after a time it kinds of go into a routine.
I think following MM11 could lead to interesting results while still being fun to make.

Problem being that you then end up with a sprawling project and it's very very hard to end satisfyingly.
Myself it's not really a level if there's not at least 4 ways to approach an obstacle (with at best 1 hard to pull off cheese).

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the story mode will have create style levels to it. Like little contextualised creation tutorials as missions for you. As well as showing you the possibilities with Nintendo made levels I think it would be good to have specific creation tasks for the player to accomplish so that it gets them used to various tools.
They should probably make the Mary O Nina tutorials playable if nothing else.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So if people's fears are true and the costume mushroom is not in the sequel, what will replace it in the SMB1 objects, anyway?

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I can't really tell. Does this have local co-op play? It seems like you have to be online or have multiple switches to play together?
I know you can design levels in co-op, can you play them in co-op?

prid13

Mar 31, 2019
I can't really tell. Does this have local co-op play? It seems like you have to be online or have multiple switches to play together?
I know you can design levels in co-op, can you play them in co-op?

I'm wondering the same, but someone else here pointed out that the eShop says the game supports 1 - 4 players locally, which is a good sign, hopefully! I took a (poor) picture of the supported playstyles and number of players on the eShop listing:

60342263-601976976969950-8498536785997987840-n-2.jpg

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
they are though

PS4 first party games are normally heavily discounted within weeks, and even then dont sell as well

ridiculous generalization. some Sony games sell well, some Nintendo games sell well. some Nintendo games aren't successful and some Sony games are. i think it's pretty ridiculous to charge full price for a port of a game that had been recently available on its original system for less than half the price.

Disputing reality with feelings or any evidence?
yawn, i thought you said you were done responding and would "drop it."
i.e BoTW never left the top 20 in Japan in over 2 years at full price, anything similar with Sony? lol
wow, cherrypicking sales figures from a small region that Nintendo dominates in order to make a facile point about the global gaming market? i would think that's below you. but we could point to UK sales charts, a region where Sony is strong, for evidence that Spider Man and other Sony exclusives have consistently remained within the charts since release.

but i actually dispute the point that a game shouldn't be discounted if it sells well. i think it's ridiculous. there are many "evergreen" titles that continue to sell well years after release but also receive heavy discounts. i think it's extraordinary that many people actually believe we should be forced to pay more and actively argue for it. they don't care about making good games accessible to people, they just want their chosen megacorp to rake in the most dollars possible to add to their already massive profits. what is the point arguing with someone like that?

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can you dispute this in another thread please
why? It's a thread discussing the Nintendo Direct where they announced their voucher discount system. Why shouldn't I talk about it? All I said was that it's a funny idea of a discount in an off-handed remark and people started responding to dispute that and talk about how and why it compares to other discounts.