• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
You don't think an official Nintendo podcast would know a bit better? We went through something like this during the Smash Ultimate hype cycle too (where something ambiguous in the August Direct was talked about on here) and they ended up being right about it.
Sorry, I for some reason thought it was IGN. But still, the host is the one that says this and he's basically just Nintendo's head journalist, former EIC of Nintendo Power. Even Treehouse people have said speculative stuff before.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So far, and we don't even know how those are unlocked ("various objectives" doesn't tell us much). I'd be willing to bet that the Hammer Power-Up is a Story Mode unlockable (and maybe the Weird Mushroom is too?)

Yeah they never said how you would unlock all those accessories. It could be through Endless challenge or Story Mode or something else.

Maybe we get the Hammer power-up and can destroy the blocks covering the red pipe next to the Castle.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I got pretty excited too at seeing Toad and Toadette get translated into SMB1, SMB3, and SMW sprites. Their SMW sprites in particular look really great.

So far the only unlockables are the customization options for your Maker character, right?

Thought I remember hearing in the Direct that you could eventually unlock and then use the night themes without needing the Moon.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. We know you have to unlock night mode, so buckle up and get ready to spend you first weekend with Mario Maker playing the Story Mode tutorials to unlock the build tools :(
That's right I forgot they said you unlock the night theme! Lol I'm looking forward to playing Story Mode. I can understand it sucks for some people who want it all from the beginning.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
No. We know you have to unlock night mode, so buckle up and get ready to spend you first weekend with Mario Maker playing the Story Mode tutorials to unlock the build tools :(
I think "unlocking" the night mode just means placing the "Happy Moon" once in a theme.

They never discussed how we unlock all of the tools (or even if we unlock any tools) so we could start with everything this time (minus a few special items saved for Story Mode unlocks). At the very least, I think all of the content properly shown in the Direct will be available for the start.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah they never said how you would unlock all those accessories. It could be through Endless challenge or Story Mode or something else.

Maybe we get the Hammer power-up and can destroy the blocks covering the red pipe next to the Castle.
But we know how we get rid of those blocks. In the Direct, eraser offers to erase the blocks if you do a job for him.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little sad we won't get the costumes for SMB1, it appears. I enjoyed playing the levels as Samus and hearing a little of their music when you beat the level.

Why would Nintendo not bring them back though? Even if it's just first party characters I'd be happy.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little sad we won't get the costumes for SMB1, it appears. I enjoyed playing the levels as Samus and hearing a little of their music when you beat the level.

Why would Nintendo not bring them back though? Even if it's just first party characters I'd be happy.
the recurring thought is multiplayer concerns but that strikes me as weird because at the very least surely they can show an indicator of who you are. They already do this if you go off screen and there's other multiplayer UI elements so its not like they're against conditional ui coming up for clarifications

Or they could even cheat it. There are modern versions of Toad, Toadette, Luigi & Mario (which are used for the Big Mushroom, even) so just hard set it so that in multiplayer if you get a cosplay mushroom you transform into your modern counterpart. Or maybe save that for online specifically, even ,since everyone has their own screen you'd see yourself as the proper costume but the others would be seen as modern versions so they can still duck and appeal

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
So, we might be able to customise the order of items within the wheels? Comparing the Japanese footage to the English Direct, there are a few items in different spots. This wheel shows it the best:
HK54iOd.jpg

4LMhn7z.jpg

There's also the possibility that the Japanese version is just a more final build of the game (since it has the Hammer Power-Up in the 3D World theme).

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
So, we might be able to customise the order of items within the wheels? Comparing the Japanese footage to the English Direct, there are a few items in different spots. This wheel shows it the best:
HK54iOd.jpg

4LMhn7z.jpg

There's also the possibility that the Japanese version is just a more final build of the game (since it has the Hammer Power-Up in the 3D World theme).
that or an updated build changed it for some reason. would be great to have a "fav" feature so that you can quickly get blocks you use all the time

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
HK54iOd.jpg

4LMhn7z.jpg

It looks like the Japanese footage is actually the older version of the game. There are shots where it doesn't have the added aesthetics to levels, like bushes and flowers. In the japanese direct at least. In the japanese gameplay footage they released it has the aesthetic flourishes and the hammer isn't seen there either. This could suggest they removed the hammer or just took it out when they didn't want to reveal it yet?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
My guess is that it acts like the Hammer Suit? I know some (like GameXplain) have suggested it might be like the Super Pickax from Captain Toad, but I don't buy it; I'd love to see the power-up make a return.
I don't think it's the hammer suit. I think it's some kind of Super Mario Maker powerup that changes Mario into his Mario Maker gear and does something. Although I don't know what that something would be.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't think it's the hammer suit. I think it's some kind of Super Mario Maker powerup that changes Mario into his Mario Maker gear and does something. Although I don't know what that something would be.

If so, I'm not quite sure what it'd do either. Hammers are either used to make things (and making platforms doesn't sound like a great powerup), or break things (but you can break blocks/crates normally) - so I have no idea.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I'm pretty disappointed in the continued lack Super Acorn :(
It was the defining power-up for one of the game styles and yet it isn't there. It should be on the same level as the Feather and Super Leaf. The propeller hat is cool but it just isn't the equivalent marquee power-up for NSMBU.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I'm pretty disappointed in the continued lack Super Acorn :(
It was the defining power-up for one of the game styles and yet it isn't there. It should be on the same level as the Feather and Super Leaf. The propeller hat is cool but it just isn't the equivalent marquee power-up for NSMBU.
We can only hope for post-release content (or an extra hidden power-up for each theme, unless the Hammer is in all of them/only 3D World gets one). I'd definitely take one more for each theme, with:
  • SMB: Weird Mushroom (since it's missing right now)
  • SMB3: Frog Suit
  • SMW: P Balloon
  • NSMBU: Super Acorn
  • SM3DW: "Super Hammer"
Plus the Ice Flower for every theme. I can't see it happening though.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Is anybody else disappointed that they replaced some music from the SM3DW theme with more generic songs? For example the Boo House now uses a remix of the song they made for SMM1.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even tho technically it's a DK game, I'd love the ability to make Donkey Kong '94 style levels. Mario's got some sweet moves in that game.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Even tho technically it's a DK game, I'd love the ability to make Donkey Kong '94 style levels. Mario's got some sweet moves in that game.
It feels like you should just be hoping for a new Mario Vs. Donkey Kong game that returns to the gameplay of the GBA installment. I could see them including a level editor in that, but it doesn't really fit as a Mario Maker theme (even as an extra one; the levels and gameplay are radically different).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Well that looks like Mario vs. Donkey Kong, but yeah. Would have been nice.
DK for GBC and MvDK are so dang good. Why did it have to turn exclusively into Minis bs?
That looks more like 94 to me; MvDK had those pre-rendered style graphics, while these are straight-up sprites (plus the hat, handbag and parasol aren't in MvDK).

Also, the game was called "Donkey Kong Plus" and was an "extension" of the Game Boy game, so...

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
That looks more like 94 to me; MvDK had those pre-rendered style graphics, while these are straight-up sprites (plus the hat, handbag and parasol aren't in MvDK).

Also, the game was called "Donkey Kong Plus" and was an "extension" of the Game Boy game, so...
Ooh. you're right. The colors and style of some of the sprites threw me off. Doesn't totally matter though I guess as they're very similar games.

Considering those Gamecube controls, maybe this was an early project that ended up turning into Mario vs DK? I don't about this and had never heard of it before now!

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Ooh. you're right. The colors and style of some of the sprites threw me off. Doesn't totally matter though I guess as they're very similar games.

Considering those Gamecube controls, maybe this was an early project that ended up turning into Mario vs DK? I don't about this and had never heard of it before now!
It was actually a GBA game (apparently); you would design the levels on the GameCube and send them to the GBA game to play (and they could be saved on a GC memory card). It did end up become MvDK, and that game has an unused level editor built into it as a leftover of that.

You can check out some details here.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
It might have been asked already, but do you think SMB3 will get new desert music? The original game just used the normal ground theme.

Assuming all the sky themes use the Athletic music, this will be the new set of music (excluding edit themes):

SMB - Desert, Snow, Forest, Sky
SMB3 - Desert(?), Snow, Forest
SMW - Desert, Snow, Forest
NSMB - N/A

3D World style seems to be just reusing some music for the most part? It's hard to say for the supposed last style

Nice little nod to Peach's Castle theme from 64 in the story mode section too.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
It might have been asked already, but do you think SMB3 will get new desert music? The original game just used the normal ground theme.

Assuming all the sky themes use the Athletic music, this will be the new set of music (excluding edit themes):

SMB - Desert, Snow, Forest, Sky
SMB3 - Desert(?), Snow, Forest
SMW - Desert, Snow, Forest
NSMB - N/A

3D World style seems to be just reusing music from that game. It's hard to say for the supposed last style.

Nice little nod to Peach's Castle theme from 64 in the story mode section too.
why wouldn't it get new music? World got new music for its forest theme in SMM despite using, I think, either hte standard ground theme or athletic in the original

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Is anybody else disappointed that they replaced some music from the SM3DW theme with more generic songs? For example the Boo House now uses a remix of the song they made for SMM1.
So I take it you're talking about this, right? https://youtu.be/ZsZ3wdnQvao
Because that'd also mean underground uses SMB1's as well https://youtu.be/mUCD5isGmOY

That's really bizarre. Ground, Underwater, Sky, Forest, Snow, Castle, & Air Ship all use tracks from the actual game. Why use SMB1 tracks for Underground & Ghost House?

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
3D World's underground theme is extremely similar to the rest, so it's even more confusing as to why they would replace it with the SMB1 version.

Edit: This video shows the 3D Workd underground theme is used. Wonder why the other video posted doesn't use it.

The Ghost House is replaced though, using a remix of the SMB3 theme instead of Shifty Boo Mansion.

Last edited: