• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Super Mario Maker 2 Direct (May 15 at 3 p.m. PT / 6 p.m, 15 minutes) [See threadmark]

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of people saying they should make a "Paper Mario" style for the Extra Game Styles section. This doesn't even make sense because the game is so fundamentally different that there's no way it could work. I honestly don't know what people are thinking when they say stuff like th-
My god MAKE THIS HAPPEN NOW

Oct 25, 2017
Oh it just occurred to me there is one specific level tool we can say is definitively left out: the recording function

The Mystery & Weird msurhooms you can argue (to varying degrees) as being hidden for now, but kind of hard to record custom sound effects when there's no mic!

Jan 15, 2018
Don't worry about the Ghost House music in 3D World. The music played in that little clip is the night version of the SMB3 theme, you can tell by the lack of instruments.

There's a lot of video clips on that JP website that use the wrong music. We can tell by SMB3 Desert's editor mode that it has a new song, but a lot of those clips give it the regular overworld music.

Similarly, there's one particular clip that has a NSMBU Airship using the Athletic theme (you can tell it's an Airship because of the hovering sounds in the background). It's also definitely not a screw up from Nintendo as there's another clip that has the Athletic theme in the actual sky stage where you can't hear the hovering sounds.

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only person who thinks the local co-op on the single Switch will end up being levels made on that Switch will allow 4 player co-op instead of playing online downloaded levels?

Am I the only person who thinks the local co-op on the single Switch will end up being levels made on that Switch will allow 4 player co-op instead of playing online downloaded levels?
Why would they not allow you to play stages you downloaded? I don't see any reason to limit you, especially with a multiplayer tag existing to help people find those levels.

Oct 27, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm thinking that you can play with 4 players any level you downloaded from the internet or created. However, you can't use the multiplayer mode (which automatically selects levels) for couch multiplayer, you have to manually download them first.

Apr 27, 2018
There are so many friggin possibilities for versus levels with the changing victory conditions.

It is literally what I have wished for Nintendo to do for a LONG time, competitive platforming. It is such a fantastic and simple thing that games like Runbow and Ultimate Chicken Horse have already shown to be a great concept.

Oh yeah... I have my doubts there will be single console multiplayer anyway, I don't see why they wouldn't have mentioned it if it was there.
To get people to pre-order the Limited Edition with an NSO subscription? To save a decently big reveal for E3 (I don't think the Hammer Power-Up is big enough to be newsworthy)? I dunno, but the info pointing towards single-console multiplayer (in the Direct footage and on places like the eShop/Japanese website) is enough to make me think it does exist.

Oct 27, 2017
We know local multiplayer for one system exists. It’s on the Japanese site too. People have speculated maybe it means 4 people can create a level or its only 4 people can play a level that was created on that Switch.

I’m just being a little paranoid. In my mind I know it should be a reveal that was saved for E3 to show you can “download online courses to your Switch and do 4 players on them on the same Switch without needing 3 other Switches” and they would show 4 Treehouse members doing it.

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Mario Maker. Lots of new neat features in this one. But still no option to make your own world-maps and with that your own "whole" Mario game breaks my heart :( That was the number 1 feature I wanted for the first game. It also sucks that you need Nintendo Online for this one.

Oct 26, 2017
Someone on Reddit made a thread about alarmingly low enemy budgets. In the video with Arino Arino manages to use up the entire enemy budget at one point when making his level. He erased some stuff in a jump cut cuz he had more budget when he continued working on it. The reddit user counted 40 enemies in the level, but they must have not counted some things that count towards that budget:

This map contains:
  • Sublevel 1: 75 enemy objects
  • Sublevel 2: 75 enemy objects (79) if swinging claws use the enemy budget, which they should
So it's probably a safe assumption that the enemy limit unfortunately is still at 100.

Enemy budget includes all enemies except Bowser/Jr, trampolines, p-switches, pow blocks, grinders, bouncepads, firebars, one-way walls, on/off switches, etc

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The problem with Paper Mario is that they are Intelligent Systems games. Of course EAD would have no problem getting assets, code and everything else from them, but it would probably be a headache that they would rather ignore.

Oct 30, 2017
To get people to pre-order the Limited Edition with an NSO subscription? To save a decently big reveal for E3 (I don't think the Hammer Power-Up is big enough to be newsworthy)? I dunno, but the info pointing towards single-console multiplayer (in the Direct footage and on places like the eShop/Japanese website) is enough to make me think it does exist.
Yeah I guess it's likely, it just feels like an extra complication to have to design multiplayer levels with separate screen and single screen play in mind.