• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they will reveal a new style at E3. It was actually a good idea to make some unique themes since now we have a lot of possibilities. No Paper Mario please, stick to the platformers for now...SMB2/USA, Land or Odyssey would be great.
The dream would be a unique Yoshi Kotabe style but it's very unlikely since there is no specific mechanics attached to that, I don't think Nintendo would create a brand new style with brand new mechanics just for Maker.

Super paper Mario exists.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would love to see Beach and Mountain themes added. That would really round out the list perfectly.
I really want the 3D World beach.

sm3dw-51a.jpg

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is 3D World game style adjacent to the core game styles or does it include everything that the core game has plus 3D World additions?

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Game should really comes with a stylus.

From what we seen , it looks like it's a cursor from the joystick?!

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Preordered Mario Maker, got the bundle with the game and Nintendo Online.

Played through SMB 1 yesterday which I hadn't done in years. Honestly not surejif I've ever beaten the original NES game, I think the GBC version was my first full playthrough of it (along with Lost Levels, those took me a while as a kid).

The Save States was a life saver in the game. I only did it per level and didn't really do any mid level checkpoints. Some of those levels are harder than I remember, and I was super rusty at SMB's physics.

I'm playing through SMB2 (USA) now and I do hope Mario Maker gets that game set as an add-on or DLC in the future. Such a great look, way different gameplay, and the distinct playable characters.

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
That pretty much has been the case since the reveal. (They wouldn't bother to capture a handheld mode footage, would they?)

Wow ok :( , i mean how tedious will it be to create from a cursor?

The touchscreen on the switch almost pointless. I wish they would have kept the integrated stylus of the 3ds too.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I'm still wondering if Mario in the 3D World style will have his complete moveset.. meaning Long Jump, Somersault, Side Somersault, High Jump after a Ground Pound and even walking while crouching somehow.. We've seen characters doing some kind of Spin Jump in the air, which wasn't possible in the original game (just spinning in place and then jumping), but if they don't incorporate the other moves, he wouldn't be much different of how he plays in NSMBU (actually he would have everything but the double and triple jump, so a lesser version)

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still wondering if Mario in the 3D World style will have his complete moveset.. meaning Long Jump, Somersault, Side Somersault, High Jump after a Ground Pound and even walking while crouching somehow.. We've seen characters doing some kind of Spin Jump in the air, which wasn't possible in the original game (just spinning in place and then jumping), but if they don't incorporate the other moves, he wouldn't be much different of how he plays in NSMBU (actually he would have everything but the double and triple jump, so a lesser version)
I think the gimmick for 3D World's controls will be the tiered run speed, double (but no triple) jump and the helicopter spin. That alongside the cat suit's special properties, I guess.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That Paper Mario image looks good, but I can't see it. IntSys is likely too busy with Three Houses and whatever the WarioWare/Paper Mario team is doing. They even brought in Koei to help with Fire Emblem.

Why would they need to be involved at all? Do you believe they're the only dev in the world capable of creating Paper Mario-style sprites?

optimiss

May 17, 2018
Link's Awakening sidescrolling segments will be the DLC theme to promote the upcoming remake. You heard it here first!

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Why would they need to be involved at all? Do you believe they're the only dev in the world capable of creating Paper Mario-style sprites?
No, but from seeing how different the 3D World style is, it goes way beyond creating sprites.

We've seen similar situations before. Even though NLG developed Luigi's Mansion 2, Nintendo had a whole group of people supervising its development. It's only natural that IntSys would have a fair amount of input for a style that uses one of their biggest franchises.

There's also the rumour I mentioned that part of the 3D Mario team in Tokyo is working with 2D team in Kyoto now. I wouldn't be surprised if that had something to do with 3D World getting into the game in the first place.

I'll eat crow if I'm wrong but I'm expecting another mainline game before any spinoffs. At least for launch.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
No, but from seeing how different the 3D World style is, it goes way beyond creating sprites.

We've seen similar situations before. Even though NLG developed Luigi's Mansion 2, Nintendo had a whole group of people supervising its development. It's only natural that IntSys would have a fair amount of input for a style that uses one of their biggest franchises.

There's also the rumour I mentioned that part of the 3D Mario team in Tokyo is working with 2D team in Kyoto now. I wouldn't be surprised if that had something to do with 3D World getting into the game in the first place.

I'll eat crow if I'm wrong but I'm expecting another mainline game before any spinoffs. At least for launch.

This is absolutely nothing like developing a full new game like Luigi's Mansion 2. The whole point of Mario Maker is to be as close to the original sprites as possible; they would not create new art for almost anything except the backgrounds at most (which aren't exactly the most technically involved thing considering, well... paper).

I mean, it could be whatever, but Intelligent Systems not being involved is a complete non-issue.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I can only imagine a Paper Mario style would have Paper Mario physics, which would be absolutely no fun at all

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This is absolutely nothing like developing a full new game like Luigi's Mansion 2. The whole point of Mario Maker is to be as close to the original sprites as possible; they would not create new art for almost anything except the backgrounds at most (which aren't exactly the most technically involved thing considering, well... paper).

I mean, it could be whatever, but Intelligent Systems not being involved is a complete non-issue.

I dunno about "The whole point of Mario Maker is to be as close to the original sprites as possible", Super Mario World Bowser is still a glaring divergence along with a few other oddities across the themes.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The more I thought of it I would absolutely love Yoshi's Island. The style, the gameplay, bosses, etc is so different from your regular 2D Mario games. Plus I think it has the best artstyle of any of them.

One thing though...please no crying Mario.
I just had an idea. What if you were thrown in a room with a hundred crying baby Mario's in bubbles, with one of the bubbles containing the key to your exit. The goal was to chase all of the bubbles around until you hit the one with the key, ensuring your escape. Maybe I could make it underwater for extra torture, as well as bunch of obstacles standing in your way.

I need to write that one down.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about "The whole point of Mario Maker is to be as close to the original sprites as possible", Super Mario World Bowser is still a glaring divergence along with a few other oddities across the themes.
Yep. There were a fair amount of new assets added to most styles in the first game, so I don't know why Paper Mario would be exempt?

I was talking about gameplay moreso than art anyway. What would be the point in Paper Mario being an "extra style" if it was just like the first four but with a paper aesthetic? 3D World broke the iron rule with how different it is. Well NSMBU had wall jumping and ground pounding but that's about it.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yep. There were a fair amount of new assets added to most styles in the first game, so I don't know why Paper Mario would be exempt?

I was talking about gameplay moreso than art anyway. What would be the point in Paper Mario being an "extra style" if it was just like the first four but with a paper aesthetic?

The extra gameplay style is you go into a turn-based battle with every enemy you touch. Boom. Genius. No brainer.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
looks so good, didnt have a Wii U so never played the first but used one of my vouchers on this. Already preloaded and ready to go.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Are we really doing this now? Pointing out the 5% of sprites that are different, ignoring the 95% that are literally pixel-perfect identical, and extrapolating from there that the Paper Mario sprites would all be redesigned from scratch?

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer another new DKC game in that case. Unlike mario, DKC depends on thematic consistency and well crafted + dynamic level design. .

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer another new DKC game in that case. Unlike mario, DKC depends on thematic consistency and well crafted + dynamic level design. .
That's true, but I would be OK with them:

1) Limiting you to thematically consistent stuff, i.e. Pirate Kremlings are only available in the DKC2 style

and

2) It could offer a layer of complexity beyond Mario Maker by allowing us to program trigger points for destructible terrain and other dynamic set-pieces (i.e. bombs going off, collapsing cave ceilings, etc)

Just imagine the glory of seeing Rare's pre-rendered sprites and backgrounds remastered in HD ;_;

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
While smb usa/2 would probably be the safest bet, I'd love to see a super mario 64 style special theme. The back flip and ability to punch would make it feel really different from the other styles and how you made levels. Power up of metal suit could also lead to a lot of cool water levels in 2d.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Is long jumping a mechanic in New Super Mario Bros. U?
Nope, in NSMB games you can only Wall Jump, Ground Pound and do Double and Triple Jumps while running (and also a little twirl in the air to get height); In 3D World you got all the acrobatics from Super Mario 64, except for the Double and Triple Jump I mentioned (oh, you can't Dive either, but that wouldn't have much use in 2D with Long Jump already existing)