• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
No lie my favorite thing about 3D World's unveil back in february was the crosssection of people who hated NSMB style but also thought NSMBU style footage was 3D World style

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
No lie my favorite thing about 3D World's unveil back in february was the crosssection of people who hated NSMB style but also thought NSMBU style footage was 3D World style
I know! I watched GrandPoobear's 2 reaction videos to the Direct and twice he mistook NSMBU for 3DW and called it pretty and also said NSMBU looks like shit. And the SMM version of NSMBU doesn't even look as good as the real NSMBU. People don't even know what they hate.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I saw some stages on MM1 where people would have to shell jump to reach a certain point then after the jump the shell was gone

How would that work in multiplayer with 4 people?

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I saw some stages on MM1 where people would have to shell jump to reach a certain point then after the jump the shell was gone

How would that work in multiplayer with 4 people?

Shouldn't be an issue unless creators put the multiplayer tag on those levels. There also seems to be a multiplayer rating for levels so those levels would get low ratings and hopefully won't show up or get taken down if they're not true multi levels. That's my guess anyway

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Someone on Reddit made a thread about alarmingly low enemy budgets. In the video with Arino Arino manages to use up the entire enemy budget at one point when making his level. He erased some stuff in a jump cut cuz he had more budget when he continued working on it. The reddit user counted 40 enemies in the level, but they must have not counted some things that count towards that budget:

48OgSnU.jpg

This map contains:
  • Sublevel 1: 75 enemy objects
  • Sublevel 2: 75 enemy objects (79) if swinging claws use the enemy budget, which they should
So it's probably a safe assumption that the enemy limit unfortunately is still at 100.

Enemy budget includes all enemies except Bowser/Jr, trampolines, p-switches, pow blocks, grinders, bouncepads, firebars, one-way walls, on/off switches, etc
How does this compare to the original?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Someone on Reddit made a thread about alarmingly low enemy budgets. In the video with Arino Arino manages to use up the entire enemy budget at one point when making his level. He erased some stuff in a jump cut cuz he had more budget when he continued working on it. The reddit user counted 40 enemies in the level, but they must have not counted some things that count towards that budget:

48OgSnU.jpg

This map contains:
  • Sublevel 1: 75 enemy objects
  • Sublevel 2: 75 enemy objects (79) if swinging claws use the enemy budget, which they should
So it's probably a safe assumption that the enemy limit unfortunately is still at 100.

Enemy budget includes all enemies except Bowser/Jr, trampolines, p-switches, pow blocks, grinders, bouncepads, firebars, one-way walls, on/off switches, etc
Good thing imo, maybe there will be less enemy spam all over the place

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
I've re-watched this direct a bunch of times in excitement for this game, but is there any actual confirmation you can play online with friends? Did I miss it? The language regarding the multiplayer is (intentionally?) vague - "Play online multiplayer with people from all over the world" is the direct quote from the website.

They already confirm that the levels you play will be picked at random. I get the sense that you will not be able to join friends online to play these levels, but only with random people as well.

Anacaona

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've re-watched this direct a bunch of times in excitement for this game, but is there any actual confirmation you can play online with friends? Did I miss it? The language regarding the multiplayer is (intentionally?) vague - "Play online multiplayer with people from all over the world" is the direct quote from the website.

They already confirm that the levels you play will be picked at random. I get the sense that you will not be able to join friends online to play these levels, but only with random people as well.

She said "play with players from around the world" not just randoms. Interpret that how you wish. When something is random, she pretty much says it. Like the courses, for example.

I'm confident we will be able to play with friends online.

The way I see it:

Ranked: Randoms Only
Non-Ranked: Friends.

Makes sense.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
She said "play with players from around the world" not just randoms. Interpret that how you wish. When something is random, she pretty much says it. Like the courses, for example.

I'm confident we will be able to play with friends online.

The way I see it:

Ranked: Randoms Only
Non-Ranked: Friends.

Makes sense.

I hope you're right, but I don't see anything to suggest that's actually the case. I think people should start to temper their expectations now before it releases in a month and becomes clear you cannot easily party up with friends. They made a point to mention if you're "hanging-out" you could locally play with four people on four separate switches - so why not mention that in regards to online functionality? It seemed like their version of saying "if you want to play with your friends, this is how you do it.". But we'll see.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
It should be an unwritten rule that if an enemy appeared in 2 or more of the core 4 styles, that it gets in

That'd get us Urchin, Porcupuffer, Torpedo Ted, Spike, Fire Chomp, Boney Beetle, Fire Snake, Pokey, Boomerang Bro, Fire Bro, Sumo Bro, Mini Goomba, Spiny Cheep Cheep and Thwhimp

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It should be an unwritten rule that if an enemy appeared in 2 or more of the core 4 styles, that it gets in

That'd get us Urchin, Porcupuffer, Torpedo Ted, Spike, Fire Chomp, Boney Beetle, Fire Snake, Pokey, Boomerang Bro, Fire Bro, Sumo Bro, Mini Goomba, Spiny Cheep Cheep and Thwhimp

I can definitely see why they want to limit the amount of enemies and objects overall so as not to intimidate everyone with the amount of choices they have for building. It's probably a pretty delicate balance, having enough variety to keep enthusiasts happy but not too much to basically paralyze other people with too many choices.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I can definitely see why they want to limit the amount of enemies and objects overall so as not to intimidate everyone with the amount of choices they have for building. It's probably a pretty delicate balance, having enough variety to keep enthusiasts happy but not too much to basically paralyze other people with too many choices.
I'd skim that list down to Urchin, Porcupuffer, Spike, Fire Chomp, Pokey and Fire Bro.

Torpedo Ted is pointless, as Bullet Bills work under water in SMM. Boney Beetle's utility isn't really much in a game with Spinies and Spike Tops and the ability to stack them on Dry Bones. Fire Snake is whatever. Boomerang Bro I don't feel is needed as much as Fire Bro. Sumo Bro is somewhat replicated by Sledge Bro. Mini Goomba is pointless. Spin Cheep Cheep is pointless. And I don't see the utility in Thwimp in a game with 1x1 tiles. Their erratic movement would be hard to get right in the builder, as well.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I'd skim that list down to Urchin, Porcupuffer, Spike, Fire Chomp, Pokey and Fire Bro.

Torpedo Ted is pointless, as Bullet Bills work under water in SMM. Boney Beetle's utility isn't really much in a game with Spinies and Spike Tops and the ability to stack them on Dry Bones. Fire Snake is whatever. Boomerang Bro I don't feel is needed as much as Fire Bro. Sumo Bro is somewhat replicated by Sledge Bro. Mini Goomba is pointless. Spin Cheep Cheep is pointless. And I don't see the utility in Thwimp in a game with 1x1 tiles. Their erratic movement would be hard to get right in the builder, as well.
immediate usage of thwimps would be another obstacle for:
-stairs
-short tile jumps
-1x1 tile jumps because spite

I think the easiest way to set them up in the editor would be to have them have a static arc (visible within the builder) that you can flip around and if they hit a wall or object during that arc they flip back.

I do't think they're a 100% must have enemy (POKEY, GIVE US POKEY) but there's a niche for an arcing obstacle that stays fixed without resorting to weird spring shenanigans

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't get the first one, even though I owned a Wii U (along with many other first party games from that console). Seen a lot of Mario Maker 1 and it looks like endless fun. Got the NSO voucher and preordered this game. Will also be getting Fire Emblem 3 Houses when it's available for preorder!

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Good thing imo, maybe there will be less enemy spam all over the place
Nah, the limits are terrible. The enemy budget includes very important things like:
  • Enemies
  • Munchers
  • POW blocks
  • P-switches
  • 1-way walls
  • Bounce pads
  • Trampolines
  • Grinders
  • Moving platforms
  • Bullet bill blaster regardless of what comes out of them.
  • On/off switches
  • Shellmets
  • Blocks on tracks
This really gets in the way of making anything complex and doesn't prevent enemy spam since you can use pipes and blocks to exceed the budget with enemies. You can get so many enemies on screen the game moves in slow motion. I hit the enemy limit in pretty much every level I made because 1-way walls, munchers, shellmets, pow blocks, tracks, trampolines, etc are extremely important.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, the limits are terrible. The enemy budget includes very important things like:
  • Enemies
  • Munchers
  • POW blocks
  • P-switches
  • 1-way walls
  • Bounce pads
  • Trampolines
  • Grinders
  • Moving platforms
  • Bullet bill blaster regardless of what comes out of them.
  • On/off switches
  • Shellmets
  • Blocks on tracks
This really gets in the way of making anything complex and doesn't prevent enemy spam since you can use pipes and blocks to exceed the budget with enemies. You can get so many enemies on screen the game moves in slow motion. I hit the enemy limit in pretty much every level I made because 1-way walls, munchers, shellmets, pow blocks, tracks, trampolines, etc are extremely important.

That's why I really like the "short and sweet" tag or whatever it was called. I'm a fan of levels that focus on a single but well executed theme that doesn't overstay its welcome. If you are hitting the limit it might be a sign that you are trying to pack in too much into a single level. Split it up into separate levels. It's not the end of the world.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Paper Mario's sole reason it has zero chance is frustratingly because it's not an EPD game.

Y'all haven't learned with how Paper Mario themed stuff never gets into the other Mario spinoffs like Mario Kart, Party etc. with few rare exceptions.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's better to assume Nintendo screwed it up and you can't play online with friends.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I see a lot of people saying they should make a "Paper Mario" style for the Extra Game Styles section. This doesn't even make sense because the game is so fundamentally different that there's no way it could work. I honestly don't know what people are thinking when they say stuff like th-

My god MAKE THIS HAPPEN NOW

Yup it can work and it would be great.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People keep saying Paper Mario won't work because it's not EPD's game. Isn't Intelligent Systems like right next door?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying Paper Mario won't work because it's not EPD's game. Isn't Intelligent Systems like right next door?
I mean yeah, but when EPD has refused to include Paper Mario tracks and characters in Mario Kart games, as well as other games chock full of references to Mario's past like Odyssey...

Don't wanna get my hopes up they'll start now.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
It's Nintendo so NDA's and Embargos are always pretty dumb and restrictive by them, but I half wonder what the hell is a point of an embargo with this? What would impressions be other than "Yeah, it feels like Super Mario Maker." or what could they possibly be seeing that hasn't been revealed yet that they'd also want to let people see this soon to E3, but yet not announced?

This seems like such a confusing time mixed with embargo that I half chalk it up to just Nintendo being Nintendo with their weird embargo's.

lucionm

Jan 10, 2018
My bets:
They will show Super Mario Bros. 2 as the new Game Style

and...

Yoshi Island (Snes) as a DLC Style for the Fall.

In the long run this is a "20 million" game.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
It's Nintendo so NDA's and Embargos are always pretty dumb and restrictive by them, but I half wonder what the hell is a point of an embargo with this? What would impressions be other than "Yeah, it feels like Super Mario Maker." or what could they possibly be seeing that hasn't been revealed yet that they'd also want to let people see this soon to E3, but yet not announced?

This seems like such a confusing time mixed with embargo that I half chalk it up to just Nintendo being Nintendo with their weird embargo's.
Impressions can include any differences to controls, how the touch screen feels to use, multiplayer impressions, the oddball unrevealed tool or shake ups that may/may not exist, how certain objects interact with each other, things like that.

There's definitely things to say

That said I bet they're still arbitrarily prevented from telling stuff. "So we can't say anything about meowser?" "No." "But you showed him in the trailer" "yes" "But we can't show him?" "Correct"

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
That's why I really like the "short and sweet" tag or whatever it was called. I'm a fan of levels that focus on a single but well executed theme that doesn't overstay its welcome. If you are hitting the limit it might be a sign that you are trying to pack in too much into a single level. Split it up into separate levels. It's not the end of the world.
Single concepts can take up a lot of components for logic in a small space. You can always make simpler levels if you want, but stict limitations inhibit others for no good reason.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Single concepts can take up a lot of components for logic in a small space. You can always make simpler levels if you want, but stict limitations inhibit others for no good reason.
Limitations cause more creativity to me imo

Either way the game can always be updated too, more objects at one time or whatever can easily be added in an update

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Limitations cause more creativity to me imo

Either way the game can always be updated too, more objects at one time or whatever can easily be added in an update
Generally I'm of that thought, as well, however the way Mario Maker groups such a wide range of objects under a single 100 object limit is too constricting. Stuff like 1-way walls, trampolines, etc should really be a separate budget.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if the state of the level is shared among all players in multiplayer?

By that I mean that for example if one player presses an On-Off switch, it will be triggered for everyone?

If this is true, wouldn't this allow troll levels with contraptions that only allow one player to continue?