• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
What do you guys think of this?

A lot of solid points. And we know every single level can be played with up to 4 characters. I wonder if multiplayer has a skip option.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
A lot of solid points. And we know every single level can be played with up to 4 characters. I wonder if multiplayer has a skip option.
There's presumably some sort of skip functionality, but after the first week or so, I doubt it would even become much of an issue, as the algorithm sets in and generally only levels that are tagged multiplayer and receive decent ratings/completion rates will pop up in the level queue.

Kinda weird that he barely gave any thought to that kind of solution.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017

I assumed that if you wanted to upload a 4 player level you would just be required to beat the level with all 4 characters - one after the other - before you could upload it. This way non of these things are ever an issue

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017

Meh. Where's his video about SMM1 singleplayer being broken? There are tons of soft lock levels or levels that require glitches that might have even been patched out since uploading the level.
I think the "Boo!" voting system will snuff out the trash pretty quickly. If 3 out of 4 people get locked out of progressing in a level the Boo! to Heart ratio will filter that crap out of the rotation in no time.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
If I bought the UK Mario Maker 2 physical with Stylus, can I play it on my main account on my US switch, or do I need to do some annoying things?
I'd like that stylus if possible, but if it's a hassle I'll just keep my US preorder.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Clear conditions cannot be set if you have checkpoints:
imds44X.jpg

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If I bought the UK Mario Maker 2 physical with Stylus, can I play it on my main account on my US switch, or do I need to do some annoying things?
I'd like that stylus if possible, but if it's a hassle I'll just keep my US preorder.

Switch is region free, just put the card in and it'll work like any other physical game

Oct 25, 2017
imds44X.jpg

Not ideal, but I see the reasoning and I can live with it. This affects a course idea that I was already mapping out, but the solution here is to just ditch the checkpoint, and now I have a solid excuse to not place checkpoints if I don't feel like it. Don't blame me, blame Nintendo.

Setting aside the obvious problems with specific conditions like "don't touch the ground"—which might have been disabled individually—I suspect that checkpoints open a whole can of worms with potential exploits. They already cause problems in SMM1 with the pink coin/key reset (and who knows how that is being addressed, if at all). Something similar may be going on here, given how the available clear conditions (and the numbers assigned to them) are based on objects placed in the course.

One might reasonably ask, well, what's wrong with just forcing the course creator to clear the condition from every checkpoint, like they already have to do? But if memory serves, that's exactly why checkpoints in SMM1 opened up a pink-coin-related vulnerability that allowed creators to upload impossible levels. It's not unthinkable at all that they simply don't have a cleaner way of handling some crazy edge case where an object/enemy/power-up requirement can be met by the course creator locally, but not other players online.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Switch games are region free, so no worries there.
Although the stylus should probably be replaced.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
imds44X.jpg

Makes sense if you think about it. Yes, level creators could be made to clear a level starting from the checkpoint to prove it's beatable but that would mean that the whole clear condition has to be met after the checkpoint making everything before the checkpoint potentially obsolete.

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense if you think about it. Yes, level creators could be made to clear a level starting from the checkpoint to prove it's beatable but that would mean that the whole clear condition has to be met after the checkpoint making everything before the checkpoint potentially obsolete.

Well observed. Oddly enough, the idea I had that I now have to rethink was structured such that the clear condition was only relevant after the checkpoint, and I wasn't really conscious of that until now. But as you said, it's true that a course with checkpoints and a clear condition would fall into one of two categories: either the clear condition is only relevant after the last checkpoint, or you can expect a lot of backtracking, such that you may as well restart the level.

On the other ways, there were definitely ways to make either of these structures interesting that unfortunately won't be possible. A clear condition that is only relevant after the checkpoint doesn't necessarily trivialize everything before it, if you're using the clear condition for the sole purpose of enforcing an interesting mechanic in an end-boss design, for example. (In other words: standard course -> checkpoint -> boss or final segment built around passing the condition.) You can still do that, but you can't place a checkpoint before the boss at the place where one might have naturally belonged, and we all know how much players like to whine about this or drop a level entirely because of it.

Again, I can see why they did it this way, but it's a case of limiting good levels for the sake of ensuring bad levels aren't as bad. And as someone who doesn't tend to play the random queue anyway... on balance, I'd rather have more design space for the good levels.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Here's another episode of Arino & his comedy partner playing SMM2. This time the partner, whose name I will learn someday, is the one making the level.

There is, I don't think, absolutely anything new here. But it's still fun to see these two bozos stumble their way through level creation.

The next episode preview has them messing around with different themes, so that should be fun.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Couldn't you theoretically make the checkpoint have its own clear condition? Like, if there are 5 coins before the checkpoint and 5 after, you could make the checkpoint have a clear condition of 5 coins while the goal flag has a clear condition of 10 coins? Then if you restart at the checkpoint you already have the 5 needed to enable that checkpoint.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't you theoretically make the checkpoint have its own clear condition? Like, if there are 5 coins before the checkpoint and 5 after, you could make the checkpoint have a clear condition of 5 coins while the goal flag has a clear condition of 10 coins? Then if you restart at the checkpoint you already have the 5 needed to enable that checkpoint.

It'd be like requiring red coins in your level, but having red coins before the checkpoint (basically passable) you end up with double checkpoints to make the red coin check list type levels, or the coins aren't needed to actually beat the level because you can't really go back after the checkpoint.

The same basic thing is going on with the clear conditions only there isn't seemingly an option to have the clear condition but not require it to beat the level. So you basically can't use a checkpoint.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Some clear conditions would be completely impossible with checkpoints
There's already "don't touch the ground", I wouldn't be surprised if there were others in that vein.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
The incompatibility of checkpoints and clear conditions makes sense for certain things but it's unfortunate you can't use it for something like a boss fight. It would have been a good alternative to using keys or other workarounds.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to take this out of the Nintendo pre-E3 competition thread so it doesn't get buried by Splatoon and Smash, but here are a few things I noticed about what we saw in the Mario Maker Invitational:

• Icicles work as falling platforms and seem to deal 3 damage to enemies below (we see SMB1 Bowser take 14 hits, compared to 40 for the weakest damage sources in SMM1).
  • Twisters follow Red Koopa pathing rules (back and forth on the same platform) but don't apply weight to the Seesaw.
  • Twisters lift objects and move them at the maximum height they can reach. We see one push a P-switch to the ceiling of a one-tile-high gap, carry it out, push it one tile higher, and drop it due to a wall collision. It doesn't look like they transfer carried objects to other overlapping Twisters.
  • Skewers trigger on/off switches, as expected, and provide an easy way to approximate 3DW Beep Blocks in the standard styles. (So far we've seen both skewers and the Fire Clown Car hit the switches instead of destroying them, so I'm guessing that other hard-hitting, block-destroying elements like bombs and Magikoopa missiles will do the same.) We also see a much faster on/off Beep Block setup using a shell, but I'm sure everyone figured that out already.
  • In 3DW, it looks like sideways springs may be climbable if you start the cat climb on a regular surface, but they bounce you off as usual if you jump into them directly. (I'm not absolutely certain of this, but that's how it looked.) Regular surfaces like moving track blocks all look climbable.
  • In 3DW, you can't ride the Koopa Car into a pipe.
  • In local co-op, the first player to enter a door takes the whole team through the door.
  • In multiplayer, you can pick up and throw other players.

While there are elements that we know to exist but were not shown (i.e. the hammer), I seriously doubt we'll hear anything about a potential sixth style until after the game launches. Maybe there are unlockables in the palette after all that we won't know about until launch, but who knows. I don't remember whether anything was concealed in SMM1 or caught people by surprise in the old unlock method, although of course, tons of specific interactions with the known elements are still unseen.

Last edited:

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I think that level was built specifically for same console co-op actually. There was one part that would have been trivial if each player had their own screen space.

The thing is it likely isn't even possible to upload since it was played out of coursebot. It just illuminates the fact that they're aware of what could be fun, but it's not actually possible. So it feels like false advertising in a way? Like that experience almost entirely is not possible unless you make it yourself and play co op with someone in the same room. Because if they can't be uploaded you're not playing others ideas either.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is it likely isn't even possible to upload since it was played out of coursebot. It just illuminates the fact that they're aware of what could be fun, but it's not actually possible. So it feels like false advertising in a way? Like that experience almost entirely is not possible unless you make it yourself and play co op with someone in the same room. Because if they can't be uploaded you're not playing others ideas either.

Eh like I said I think that level becomes a lot easier if you have your own screen space. I think it would be doable with randoms. Also we don't know if you can attempt uploading levels with 2 or more players, I could see that being possible.

But yeah overall I do agree, it's a huge shame they aren't letting us play with friends online. But I don't blame the Treehouse for designing a great level that might be a bit misleading when I'm sure the online with randoms only thing was not their decision.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

Eh like I said I think that level becomes a lot easier if you have your own screen space. I think it would be doable with randoms. Also we don't know if you can attempt uploading levels with 2 or more players, I could see that being possible.

But yeah overall I do agree, it's a huge shame they aren't letting us play with friends online. But I don't blame the Treehouse for designing a great level that might be a bit misleading when I'm sure the online with randoms only thing was not their decision.
You could upload it, but you'd need to add a single player path.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I would love this, but I think the reason why chars are all functionally identical is because of level compatibility and balancing reasons. If characters played differently then there would be unfair advantages in a competitive mode. It also saves the hassle of having Luigi etc. only in certain levels.
This is an extremely late reply due to a self-requested ban, but I'd like to clarify that I'm not insinuating that this idea is the reason for functional uniformity of the characters, but rather that the uniformity would be highly advantageous for this idea, making it a tad more likely.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
The stylus is normally available starting today for those who preordered (I have preordered the digital version). I have the stylus code but the page for the stylus does not yet let me purchase the stylus. Is it too soon or am I doing something wrong ?

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
The stylus is normally available starting today for those who preordered (I have preordered the digital version). I have the stylus code but the page for the stylus does not yet let me purchase the stylus. Is it too soon or am I doing something wrong ?
Store has just updated for me and I've been able to order the stylus!
Happy birthday to myself I guess.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Since the thread got bumped there was a few small details that were seen from the Treehouse play.

- SMW style goal tape acts like the regular SMW tape, you don't have to hit the tape to finish the level
- On/Off buttons seem to be global(at least between pipe layers, curious if doors reset or not, I'd guess no), which was mostly obvious but good to see confirmed
- Red pow blocks destroy the grey blocks
- Night castle is swimming physics for mario and normal physics for enemies
- Confirmed the selecting of character you play with in settings
- This could change with things in the level, but it seems like the only Action clear conditions are Reach the goal without taking damage, and the not jumping one

I feel like there was a couple more things, but I'm blanking. Some of these may have been confirmed before, just stuff I had noticed.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Since the thread got bumped there was a few small details that were seen from the Treehouse play.

- SMW style goal tape acts like the regular SMW tape, you don't have to hit the tape to finish the level
- On/Off buttons seem to be global(at least between pipe layers, curious if doors reset or not, I'd guess no), which was mostly obvious but good to see confirmed
- Red pow blocks destroy the grey blocks
- Night castle is swimming physics for mario and normal physics for enemies
- Confirmed the selecting of character you play with in settings
- This could change with things in the level, but it seems like the only Action clear conditions are Reach the goal without taking damage, and the not jumping one

I feel like there was a couple more things, but I'm blanking. Some of these may have been confirmed before, just stuff I had noticed.
Also confirmation that Night Underwater & Night Ghost House have the same exact gimmick. Limited visibility around you + some objects appear in the dark. There doesn't seem to be any variation between the two from the little we saw.

as an aside they really like emphasizing the new music and visuals for Styles that didn't have them which just makes SMB3's Desert & Jungle using ground music stand out all the more.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
as an aside they really like emphasizing the new music and visuals for Styles that didn't have them which just makes SMB3's Desert & Jungle using ground music stand out all the more.
SM3 had desert and jungle is based on something from Pipe Maze. Both used the regular ground theme.

Do we know if SMW desert has a new theme? I would guess it doesn't.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
SM3 had desert and jungle is based on something from Pipe Maze. Both used the regular ground theme.

Do we know if SMW desert has a new theme? I would guess it doesn't.
I don't know about SMW Desert, but SMW Jungle has a new theme rather than just reusing SMW Ground
Also SMB3 has unique edit music for Desert & Jungle

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
cross-posting

I'm asking this here because I don't want to make a thread just for my question (though I might).

Is this the actual cover that will come with the game if I choose the bundle with the Switch online? More specifically, the big ugly banner at the bottom. Is this just for the internet image, or does the actual cover has that bullshit?

bundle-4-656x1063.jpg

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
cross-posting

I'm asking this here because I don't want to make a thread just for my question (though I might).

Is this the actual cover that will come with the game if I choose the bundle with the Switch online? More specifically, the big ugly banner at the bottom. Is this just for the internet image, or does the actual cover has that bullshit?

bundle-4-656x1063.jpg
I mean obviously we don't have the cover in our hands, but I'm assuming yes.