• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
So what are we feeling with the "Extra Game Styles" tab? If we do get an extra theme, would it be
  • Content being saved until E3 to have something revealed there?
  • Content being included for free after release?
  • Content part of paid DLC for the game?

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So what's the consensus on what stylus to get for making levels? I'll never use the creation tools with a joycon. The lack of pro controller support is just ridiculous.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
same, i hope it's very lengthy.

Knowing how Nintendo does post game stuff these days I wouldn't be surprised if 100+ means more like 150.

Holy fucking shit please don't require single joycon use. That is game ruining for me.

So far we've only seen that required for the co-op creation mode. Everything else will at the very least allow for dual joycons since it'll have to work in handheld mode.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
Looks good. Spinning 3D World levels off into their own separate thing is a good idea, as it lets them go wild without having to worry about needing equivalent items for the other styles.

3D World is even in a separate section labelled "Extra Game Styles", with space next to it for at least one more. I'm guessing it'll be an Odyssey style where you can possess enemies.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
So what are we feeling with the "Extra Game Styles" tab? If we do get an extra theme, would it be

I think E3. If 3D Land didn't destroy everything I would have said paid DLC because of all the work needed to create other style assets, but as a unique style I could see it being something they've saved for E3.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

I really think it's just to distinguish that the stuff in 3d world is extra or to itself. I think a new style could eventually come, but don't think it automatically means more on launch.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Probably revealed at the Mario Maker event.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Yesss

$30 dollars dlc here we go!
No

(I... I probably would pay it. I'd hope that it would come with some new, Nintendo created SMB2 levels for that price but I love SMB2 so much and have been so desperate and hungry for them to return to that world/theme I might pay that much just for the tile set)

the fantastic part is that they can add more in future updates as well.
like add a slider for the window and it can get pretty wild with the themes.

Yesssssssss

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
As great as this direct was, I feel like gamexplain and our various Era sleuths had already revealed half the new content here through meticulous combing of the reveal trailer and japanese posters.

What theme is this?

LUuMC62.jpg

The poison suggests forest...but it doesn't look like forest.
Ohhh, good catch.
I guess they decided to mix up the Forest theme for SMB3.
I'd call it a concrete jungle but that's not quite right either.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
new style basically has to be Mario 2, Yoshi, or like Galaxy or something yeah? Otherwise it could go into the top ones.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I really think it's just to distinguish that the stuff in 3d world is extra or to itself. I think a new style could eventually come, but don't think it automatically means more on launch.
If they only planned on ever adding one, I don't think the tab would be titled "Extra Game Styles", especially since the main "Game Style" tab doesn't even use a plural.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No Amiibo is a bit dissapointing...like that crane works so good as a stand-in for DK-style vines.

Otherwise game looks great.

To be honest I associate the term "mad lad" with channer speak so it was a bit odd hearing it here.

Slai-Man

Oct 25, 2017
What i like about the story mode is now finally collecting money in a Mario game will be something to look for.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Online co-op what the hell. This game is going to score at least a 99 cumulative score

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There will be two surprises at E3:
  1. A new style: Becauseuse of the extra slot space.
  2. Character specific features or abilities: We still didn't saw, what the "Toadette"-Blocks from the removed render are.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
It's only for creating levels on coop.
Which is weird sure. But you'll definitely be able to play the rest of the game with any other controlers.
If you could only play the whole game with a single joycon .. then you couldn't play in handled mode.
yea it says pro controller on the eshop, but why force joycons with co op, it makes no cense tbh

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
$10000 says it's an Odyssey style where you can use cappy in 2D.

please
That would be monumental. I almost don't want that regulated to a skin in Mario Maker 2, something like that should be its own game!

God I want an Odyssey 2, pls Nintendo pls ;__;

I really hope so. That and maybe a Mario Land GB style theme.
Either of the Mario Land games would be especially fitting since this is technically a handheld full sequel of Mario Maker hnnnn

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Did they say anything about functionality with the Switch Online app? I know people give the app a lot of shit, but it would be cool to use the app to queue up interesting courses when you're away from a proper connection, then try them all out once you get to one.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
That would be monumental. I almost don't want that regulated to a skin in Mario Maker 2, something like that should be its own game!

God I want an Odyssey 2, pls Nintendo pls ;__;
Thinking about it, it can be a nice gimmick that could be overdone rather fast but then again the whole of Mario Maker could described that way and I'm still playing MM1 so...

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's pretty ripe for bombing.
It also brings a level of negativity to the process of playing games that is pretty disappointing.
Like someone pours his heart in making a level but there's 1 spot where everyone dies and lo and behold it's time for negative feedback :/
I like it. There were so many awful levels in Mario Maker and just the thumbs up doesn't tell you how many ppl disliked it. I'll avoid levels with a ton of dislikes. This is good

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
I love when games just blow you away with content like this.

If Bobby Kotick was running Nintendo, the story mode and 3D World would've been $19.99 each or $29.99 when you buy the season pass.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
They really should work on messaging regarding "local multiplayer". The Direct made it sound like you need multiple Switches, on the other hand nintendo.co.uk listing does not implicate that at all.

If the worse comes to pass, that's... actually a really unexpected punch from Nintendo to me. (Please don't come up with some camera excuses. They could just run it in splitscreen like Mario Kart 8.)

Otherwise, stuff was cool, but I didn't really see anything that would really set me on fire - I guess the online folk may love the online multiplayer, but I kind of expected that to happen.

Trivia: since Toad said something about being more of a cat person, did Undodog undo the castle?

Trivia: why did UK "MOON" slide look completely different than US one, and was it the only one?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I love when games just blow you away with content like this.

If Bobby Kotick was running Nintendo, the story mode and 3D World would've been $19.99 each or $29.99 when you buy the season pass.
You forgot MTXs for the story mode and mii customizations.
I like it. There were so many awful levels in Mario Maker and just the thumbs up doesn't tell you how many ppl disliked it. I'll avoid levels with a ton of dislikes. This is good
Just remember that the popular levels in Mario Maker 1 were music levels, autolevels and troll levels.
This isn't going the way you think it's going to go.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
They really should work on messaging regarding "local multiplayer". The Direct made it sound like you need multiple Switches, on the other hand nintendo.co.uk listing does not implicate that at all.

If the worse comes to pass, that's... actually a really unexpected punch from Nintendo to me. (Please don't come up with some camera excuses. They could just run it in splitscreen like Mario Kart 8.)

Otherwise, stuff was cool, but I didn't really see anything that would really set me on fire - I guess the online folk may love the online multiplayer, but I kind of expected that to happen.

Trivia: since Toad said something about being more of a cat person, did Undodog undo the castle?

Trivia: why did UK "MOON" slide look completely different than US one, and was it the only one?
It's pretty clear you need multiple Switches for multiplayer, also the website indicates so.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You forgot MTXs for the story mode and mii customizations.

Just remember that the popular levels in Mario Maker 1 were music levels, autolevels and troll levels.
This isn't going the way you think it's going to go.
It could! I hated those levels but they were always the most popular. If I could have given them a dislike I would have. I'm sure others would too. So hopefully that's the case and I'll be better able to avoid them this time