• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

themadswagger

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Untitled.png

Maybe with the icon on the right there is still hope for local multiplayer on a single console? This is at 2:08 in the video.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
It could! I hated those levels but they were always the most popular. If I could have given them a dislike I would have. I'm sure others would too. So hopefully that's the case and I'll be better able to avoid them this time
If it's like in Mario Maker 1, the autoplay, music, kaizo will rise to the top anyway and the usual 'normal' level will get dislikes because people who will not be able to finish them will "punish" the levels in some way.
It's actually rather complicated to get people to star levels in Mario Maker 1, this isn't going to help.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
So what's this theme supposed to be

K3OC5oy.png

I think we see every theme in 3D World style except for...the air ship? So is this Toybox theme supposed to replace the air ship??

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

K3OC5oy.png

I think we see every theme in 3D World style except for...the air ship? So is this Toybox theme supposed to replace the air ship??
Was going to post about this but couldn't take a screenshot. Are you sure that isn't the Sky Theme? The level that theme is based one that takes place above the clouds after all.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

K3OC5oy.png

There's airship levels in 3D World (at least in 3D Land for sure) and they're pretty distinct so I would guess that this is different.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If it's like in Mario Maker 1, the autoplay, music, kaizo will rise to the top anyway and the usual 'normal' level will get dislikes because people who will not be able to finish them will "punish" the levels in some way.
It's actually rather complicated to get people to star levels in Mario Maker 1, this isn't going to help.
Well we'll see
My hope this time is to rely on Resetera or reddit to find good levels. With mm1 I just went with the popular levels and it was an awful experience

Oct 28, 2017
It's all about the ratio of likes to dislikes. I'll leave it to the law of large numbers
Even a good level won't necessarily be fortunate with that. Make no mistake about it people will dislike levels when they get frustrated after a couple deaths. Puzzle levels will get dislikes when people don't figure it out straight away. A good level won't necessarily have a good like to dislike ratio. This isn't going to work out well.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My only hot take is that I suspect the unknown second extra style is Odyssey. Would come after SM3DW chronologically, plays off a hit Switch game, and fits with EPD8 collaborating with EPD10.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Well we'll see
My hope this time is to rely on Resetera or reddit to find good levels. With mm1 I just went with the popular levels and it was an awful experience
I relied on 2014's ERA and it was better but by the end it wasn't very active :/
Reddit seems like the best idea if you ask me and I say that as someone who doesn't like that place.
If you're into making level, the best way would be to really get the community going here or rely on reddit.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The issue with Mario Odyssey is that it'd be the only theme that couldn't have four players (we know 3D World supports them because of all the cat renders). The possession would only work with Mario and Luigi, unless Toadette rips her head in half.

So yeah that paints it as SMB2, to me. Imagine picking up and throwing each other.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Was going to post about this but couldn't take a screenshot. Are you sure that isn't the Sky Theme? The level that theme is based one that takes place above the clouds after all.
Possible? I thought hte Sky theme would be that vaguely carnival themed one but it seems to have the air ship screen shifting.

REplacing sky with toys seems weird, though, when I'm pretty sure ther are just straight up sky levels

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
what other discount programs have a $100 minimum spend in order to get a discount for a program you're already paying a subscription for?

it's just a very meager discount, especially when some of the games that are part of the "discount" have already been discounted on the eShop without a $100 minimum purchase or a paid subscription

Never heard of ps plus discounts lol

Everyone does this, if anything this is more generous than ps / xbox - anyway of getting as big a pre order discount on digital content on the other platforms....?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
The issue with Mario Odyssey is that it'd be the only theme that couldn't have four players (we know 3D World supports them because of all the cat renders). The possession would only work with Mario and Luigi, unless Toadette rips her head in half.

So yeah that paints it as SMB2, to me. Imagine picking up and throwing each other.
this feels remedied by giving them hats for that style. Like their Captain hats, builder hats or maybe just random cappy alikes. maybe Toadette wears Tiara, for example

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Even a good level won't necessarily be fortunate with that. Make no mistake about it people will dislike levels when they get frustrated after a couple deaths. Puzzle levels will get dislikes when people don't figure it out straight away. A good level won't necessarily have a good like to dislike ratio. This isn't going to work out well.
Maybe there should be a limit on how many dislikes one can leave per day or week.
Ration out the inevitable hate and maybe it might end up where it should.

But probably not

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty clear you need multiple Switches for multiplayer, also the website indicates so.
The British listing website really doesn't indicate it unless you count the sequence in the whole Direct, which is a separate thing. This quote is not taken out of context, and is placed outside of "Online" section (which, given the need for one online connection shown in the Direct, would apply to ad-hoc room too):
Want to show off your creations to friends? Up to four players can try to beat created courses at the same time in local multiplayer. Play as Mario, Luigi, Toad and Toadette, and let the fun begin!
Doesn't make it clear at all.

The Direct... was the Direct. It sure implied no offline multiplayer, but wasn't really 100% transparent about it. The NA website seems to only mention online multiplayer, without mentioning the online nearby room mode at all.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Super Mario 3D World mode... But not actually in 3D.

Super Mario 3D World is enhanced over the other modes, but they didn't think to do the same with Super Mario Bros 2 which has been requested since the first game.

Online multiplayer... But no local multiplayer except for with multiple Switch systems.

It continues to amaze me how Nintendo continues to be so tone-deaf when it comes to decision-making.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Super Mario 3D World is enhanced over the other modes, but they didn't think to do the same with Super Mario Bros 2 which has been requested since the first game.

Online multiplayer... But no local multiplayer except for with multiple Switch systems.

It continues to amaze me how Nintendo continues to be so tone-deaf when it comes to decision-making.

I mean they just showed that there will be more styles other than the ones already introduced.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

3D World is a vastly better theme than anything they could do with SMB2.
On top of that SMB2 is really rather weird in how it fits the SMB tropes, it's kinda like requesting Wario Land in Mario Maker in how it doesn't really fit with the other Mario games.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Why would anyone expect the 3D world theme to be actual 3D? One of the big reasons Mario Maker works so well is that the 2D Mario toolset is incredibly simple at it's core even if it is very robust. 3D game design is exponentially more complex, and I think not including it is a good decision

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017

just have Toadette wear her Builder Helmet in that style

problem solved

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
Has it already been pointed out that the Maker Profile in this is reusing assets from Miitomo? 'Cause it totally is. I immediately recognized those Mii poses and animations are ripped straight out of Miitomo. It's nice to see some Miitomo content live on in some form, at least!

Brixx

Jan 26, 2018
This game is chock full of content, yet I still see people complaining. I seriously don't get some of you people.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Has it already been pointed out that the Maker Profile in this is reusing assets from Miitomo? 'Cause it totally is. I immediately recognized those Mii poses and animations are ripped straight out of Miitomo. It's nice to see some Miitomo content live on in some form, at least!
To be fair I thought it was from the 3DS Mii plaza myself.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I've watched this Direct a few times now and I'm still just blown away. Nintendo went above and beyond in terms of content and quality of life features.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Boy, there are already a lot of garbage posts in this thread. For something as joyful as Mario Maker? And for a game that looks like it's totally packed with stuff?

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
The original was phenomenal, and this game is wayyyyy better, and people pissed lmao. GOTY, can't believe what I saw

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
So taking stock here...

Wcd7Hyg.png

Ground, obviously

6lMdRyt.png

Underground

pCY6sOu.png

Underwater which I had to go to the original unveil trailer for

PjrHjwe.png

Castle. Well, kind of funny it's *outside* the castle

hK7v3m0.png

Ghost House

0EphOi3.png

Desert

XXK1OQD.png

Jungle

tS6VYEC.png

Snow

UMYimYJ.png

This was the one I thought was Sky, but it bobs up & down so that puts it as Air Ship

So I guess by process of elimination, for some reason, Sky theme is represented by...toy box?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
this feels remedied by giving them hats for that style. Like their Captain hats, builder hats or maybe just random cappy alikes. maybe Toadette wears Tiara, for example
just have Toadette wear her Builder Helmet in that style

problem solved

I could see Toadette wearing Tiara, sure.

I just can't really see it being a base-game thing, seems like a lot of work for them to avoid flaunting in favor of 3D World, unlike SMB2 which is much smaller scale. If they do DLC though it'd make a lot of sense.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
The British listing website really doesn't indicate it unless you count the sequence in the whole Direct, which is a separate thing. This quote is not taken out of context, and is placed outside of "Online" section (which, given the need for one online connection shown in the Direct, would apply to ad-hoc room too):

Doesn't make it clear at all.

The Direct... was the Direct. It sure implied no offline multiplayer, but wasn't really 100% transparent about it. The NA website seems to only mention online multiplayer, without mentioning the online nearby room mode at all.
The only nearby room is there on the official website, but you also need to have NSO and connected online (the host) to play with multiple Switches locally.

The reason why there's no multiplayer in a single console is because every player needs to have their own screen and split screen would be too small.

Check this for more info: https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...uirements-and-multiplayer-limitations.117196/

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Wait, someone has to have pointed out this screenshot, right?
X2UDhyE.png

There are mini-pipes there, and it seems like the metal stuff in that forest screenshot isn't a theme exclusive element.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

Super Mario Bros 2 isn't even a real Mario game. If you actually expected Nintendo to acknowledge it any meaningful way, that's on you for setting your expectations too high.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Basically everything they're doing with this game is being seen as going above and beyond and far surpassing expectations for the sequel by the vast majority of the playerbase. In what dimension could they possibly be seen as tone-deaf here lol? And a 3D World theme with unique mechanics is vastly better than getting a fifth style swap for the worst 2D Mario game. Local multiplayer is unfortunate but seems that how the mode works requires everyone's screen to scroll independently so at least there's a reason.