• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
So, what's with the ?? coin counter in this screenshot?
share-course_world-15-2x.jpg
Probably for special level clear conditions.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
F*cking hyped to listen to the various new Kondo tracks, this is really big for me.
New music for the new themes + new edit mode remix *droooools*
He's truly a legend!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that gives me pause are the gimmicks on the night stages. The gimmicks are neat, but an option to toggle them off would be appreciated for those times when you want the night aesthetic/atmosphere but regular gameplay.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I was fucking pumped for on/off switches, but to have them apply to other stuff is amazing. Pick a pipe is now going to be pick a path with switches.

So, what's with the ?? coin counter in this screenshot?
share-course_world-15-2x.jpg

Some type of co op or vs thing? First person to get the coins, but don't know how many you have? Or something similar.

MisterLuffy

Oct 25, 2017
They said nothing about amiibo which was surprising. I hope they're compatible in more than just SMB1.
Just to be clear, I wasn't speaking about the amiibo but yeah they haven't shown it in the direct. I was more speaking about playing as Luigi, Toadette, and Toad besides playing as Mario. Like having a character select screen or an option to choose characters before playing levels.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Did not expect Mario Maker to have this amount of content, especially the multiplayer bits. Even the story mode has got me hyped. The possibilities the 'Set the Win Condition" Mode add to the game will allow so many creative courses (and some awful ones).

Can't help but think the Switch is lining up to become Nintendo's best 1st party software output ever for a console.

Deleted member 19274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The new additions do look fantastic. I was not at all expecting online multiplayer. It looks like it could be a lot of fun.

edit* Think they could do some cool things with the Switch app. Might actually get some use with it.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
The only thing that gives me pause are the gimmicks on the night stages. The gimmicks are neat, but an option to toggle them off would be appreciated for those times when you want the night aesthetic/atmosphere but regular gameplay.
I'm hoping that's the case too. The night themes look great and I really want to use them without the effects.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Did not expect Mario Maker to have this amount of content, especially the multiplayer bits. Even the story mode has got me hyped. The possibilities the 'Set the Win Condition" Mode add to the game will allow so many creative courses (and some awful ones).

Can't help but think the Switch is lining up to become Nintendo's best 1st party software output ever for a console.
Switch is Nintendo firing on all cylinders. Once Metroid arrives (in the form of Trilogy HD and/or MP4), this thing will feel so complete. Of course, ideally we'll F-Zero, Star Fox, Pikmin, etc, at some point. Bring 'em on.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
My only major reservation is that I have a feeling the dislike button is gonna punish people for making challenging couses. If Mario Maker showed me anything, it's that a lot of people are realllly bad at Mario. For example, for fun I made a Super Mario Bros Special stage (the first stage), and that somehow got a 40% clear rate. A 1-1 stage!

Otherwise, the amount of stuff they added to this sequel is fucking incredible, I'll be here the moment it gets uploaded to the eshop!

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Switch is Nintendo firing on all cylinders. Once Metroid arrives (in the form of Trilogy HD and/or MP4), this thing will feel so complete. Of course, ideally we'll F-Zero, Star Fox, Pikmin, etc, at some point. Bring 'em on.

We all know the Switch library will only be complete once we get the Murasame Mysterious Castle 3D Action game, but I agree with the rest of your post.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No yellow toad is such a bummer, I'm still in shock after what happened in NSMBU:D and this is just kicking me when I'm down

Crates being 3D World specific is still strange for me, since you could pick up blocks in everything but SMB 1. I see that they have unique properties in 3D World like floating in water (and lava for some dumb reason) but still an odd choice

Same with the spiky and beat blocks, I see no reason why those couldn't have existed in other modes, though I suppose the spike blocks would have to be single blocks rather than 2x2, which would be better anyway

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
My only major reservation is that I have a feeling the dislike button is gonna punish people for making challenging couses. If Mario Maker showed me anything, it's that a lot of people are realllly bad at Mario. For example, for fun I made a Super Mario Bros Special stage (the first stage), and that somehow got a 40% clear rate. A 1-1 stage!

Otherwise, the amount of stuff they added to this sequel is fucking incredible, I'll be here the moment it gets uploaded to the eshop

Weird flex nerdface!

Dislikes do suck for challenging courses, but hopefully that means there will be less courses that are designed just to piss people off.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
They crammed so much in to 15 minutes!

It'd be pretty awesome if the missing play-style was actually Mario Galaxy or Odyssey and included radial platforms and gravity like these bits:

maxresdefault.jpg

khomvoaa-9l4jpg-large-83269.jpeg

But I do think SMB2 style could be a big contender...

This guy isn't a million miles away from angry sun and he's just as horrible:

151258-PhantoMainImage.jpg

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Have we seen night mode in Super Mario 3D World style?

It'd be really, really weird if you couldn't make poison swamp levels in that style.
Doesn't seem like it, no.

Which is weird since 3D Land & 3D World literally had night versions of the level

Yeah, the night mode themes seem pretty disappointing. I wanted real night arrangements that actually match with the game styles.

Biggest disappointment in the game.
As much as I'd have wanted star road remixes or galaxy remixes, I actually really dig the music box versions. It's cute and I'm a sucker for a music box.

Also love that disaprity between the pleasant music and every night theme being hell world in terms of gimmicks

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Feels weird to cut Peach out of the equation again. "We can't change the plot" was lame enough in NSMBU:DX. Now the plot is that her home has literally been destroyed.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
*being chased by an evil Rotten mushroom while the entire level is upsidedown*

*pleasant twikling music version of a smb3 ground theme*

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
If I had complain about anything, it'd be a lack of new enemies in the core styles. If the 3D world ones are exclusive to that, there's seemingly nothing new, enemies wise, in the old styles.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The NSO thread made me realize, if multiplayer is always split up between multiple switches because users can see their own section of the map, then that means there could be some absolutely crazy multiplayer levels.

You could require everyone to go in their own isolated room to asynchronously solve puzzles. You could have players controlling switches on one section while others are running through the map. There's a lot of potential there I wasn't really thinking about when watching that video.

Also, anybody else worried about the lack of multiplayer shown in the 3D world mode? It'd be really odd to omit it, but the lack of focus on it was curious.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Can you not make, like, pools of water? You can only make completely underwater or flooding levels? That's disappointing if so.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
If I had complain about anything, it'd be a lack of new enemies in the core styles. If the 3D world ones are exclusive to that, there's seemingly nothing new, enemies wise, in the old styles.
we have a few at least. Boom Boom is in all styles, goombas can turn into Goombrats, those twister enemies, angry sun.

Can you not make, like, pools of water? You can only make completely underwater or flooding levels? That's disappointing if so.
specifically rising water levels is exclusive to Jungle

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm such a dang sucker for avatar customization. That feature has me as hyped as anything else.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
we have a few at least. Boom Boom is in all styles, goombas can turn into Goombrats, those twister enemies, angry sun.

Yeah, I guess it's how I'm looking at those aspects. I'd see Boom Boom and Sun as more of bosses, Twister as more of a object or effect since it didn't damage you. Also from the small glimpse of Goombrats in the other styles it seemed to just be a skin variation with no change in play.

I'm really wanting to see some more spin-jumpable enemies. Sparky, Spiny, Eerie's. Give more options for enemies to interact with and not just be random nuisance.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Gonna weird to not be able to hear this when making a poison jungle (since it'll be the calmer night version)

This and Piranha Creeper Jungle from 3D World are like, my default poison jungle level themes and neither can be heard on poison jungle levels...