• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday Andre tempted fate saying they'd probably explain most of the new stuff... there seemed to be a lot of new stuff in the background of shots they barely touched on

It might just be their design choice for the conventional feature, but...
mMB98my.png

...that's not what the keyhole I'm used to looks like.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I only see the 60$ Mario maker on the eshop, isn't there supposed to be a 70$ one with 12 month sub?

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy idea: The last game style is Odyssey.

The styles are listed in chronological order of release date for the main four, so it should follow suit in the "extra styles" options too. (of course it could just be reordered when the final style is revealed, but where's the fun in that)

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Still no word on whether or not Wii U levels can be transferred over in any way? Really bummed if all the levels I worked hard on are doomed to stay behind.

Noticed you can dislike levels now. Not sure I like that decision. That's a recipe for disaster if dislikes are public.

Yeah, I was really hoping they would fix the rating system, this is very worrisome and could make it worse. This just opens the way to a bunch of annoying scrub players leaving dislikes on challenging yet well designed levels.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Well that was a lame direct, not that I held out much hope in the first place. Also paying money to get slight discount really doesn't to make me go "Oh my god I need to sign up for Nintendo Online."

I will just pass on the game.

That's exactly how I am feeling, it's a good game but only if you fork out more money to access more of the content.

Yeah unlike all those multiplayer focused games that you pay $60 and give you immediate and free access to play online without Xbox Live or PS Plus...oh wait

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Crazy idea: The last game style is Odyssey.

The styles are listed in chronological order of release date for the main four, so it should follow suit in the "extra styles" options too. (of course it could just be reordered when the final style is revealed, but where's the fun in that)
I think it might just be re-ordered, but Odyssey would be pretty crazy (especially with captures and multiplayer). I think I might still be in favour of Mario 2/USA though; that'd be REALLY unique.

Mar 23, 2019
Did they say anything about functionality with the Switch Online app? I know people give the app a lot of shit, but it would be cool to use the app to queue up interesting courses when you're away from a proper connection, then try them all out once you get to one.

Not that I saw.

Only negative of the presentation for me was no discussion of a companion app/webpage, and also no ability to search for courses by name

Splendy

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully someone can help find an answer for this. It seemed like Global Play versus and co-op might only match you with randoms, which would be fine if the lobby let friends online join but they make it seem like only nearby players can join lobby? There might be some detail in a press release that i missed but I hope that isn't the case.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling I'll be playing a lot of competitive multiplayer in this, it's something I've always wanted, competitive mario

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Okay, looks like Mini Pipes might actually be an element in more than just the "Forest" theme. This is the Desert, and the Pipe looks purple (probably blue pipe in the SMB3 theme).
uFrFgMx.png

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Is it still all SMB/NSMB physics? Can't stand those physics, personally. I'd buy if the SMW skin actually came with proper SMW physics.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I am so fucking hyped holy shit. I'm getting those vouchers and snagging some games along with SMM2.

Unless something is horribly broken this game is going to be hard to topple for my game of the year/generation. Shit, gonna watch it again again.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Something that worries me.

So for internet multiplayer, the Direct says it selects random levels (from online, presumably).

Then when they create a room for local multiplayer, it mentions that one player has to have an internet connection, and shows them setting up a room. It then asks them to select course difficulty, shows a screen about fetching level data from the server, and then cuts to the next part about standings and ratings in local.

The first thing that worries me is that unless it's nested inside the global options, doesn't look like any option to set up an online room for friends. The second is that the fact that it asks you for a difficulty setting implies that even in local co-op, you have to select a randomly selected course online instead of being able to manually select your own created levels. I hope I'm wrong and it's a further option or it's just in Coursebot instead, but that's the exact kind of weird arbitrary limitations you'd expect if there were any.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we not play online with friends?? If not then this is a waste of time. I don't give a crap to play online levels with random people

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Still no way to link levels together. That's a shame.

Hoping for a Super Mario Bros 2 announcement though. Seems like that's possible now.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I'm gonna have to say I was blown away by the amount of new stuff they've added into the game. I wasn't really expecting that much.

FearMyWrench

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I was really hoping they would fix the rating system, this is very worrisome and could make it worse. This just opens the way to a bunch of annoying scrub players leaving dislikes on challenging yet well designed levels.

Maybe you have to complete the level to leave a dislike?

Dislikes could be good to help purge the garbage levels though. There was no way to actually express that they were garbage before other than choosing not to star it.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
Maybe you have to complete the level to leave a dislike?

Dislikes could be good to help purge the garbage levels though. There was no way to actually express that they were garbage before other than choosing not to star it.
Yeah if you have to finish a level to dislike that would be a good filter.

I'm a little miffed it looks like with night elements it looks like its all or nothing, you can't choose the look without the gimmick or vice versa

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
So is there no local, same device multiplayer beyond level creation?

I only saw them mention online multiplayer or multiple Switch multiplayer.

Edit: saw the thread specifically for the multiplayer mode(s). That's a shame, that was one of the main things I was looking for from this game. :/