• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was kinda hoping they'd have something akin to the LBP hub where you could browse courses online via a web browser and queue them up for play later. It would have made level sharing and discovery so much better.

Not to say that it hasn't improved over the first game, but it could have been near perfect.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I was kinda hoping they'd have something akin to the LBP hub where you could browse courses online via a web browser and queue them up for play later. It would have made level sharing and discovery so much better.

Not to say that it hasn't improved over the first game, but it could have been so much better.
Smash Bros basically has this on the Nintendo online app, wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing here

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Game will be masterful, but man I wish Nintendo took a cue from Sakurai and was more flexible with certain options, i.e. playing with friends, separating the night themes from their gimmicks, etc

Teppic

Oct 25, 2017
I like a lot of the new features. I was perhaps hoping for even more features, like more bosses, custom music, more powerups, new themes, but what they've shown is cool. The only thing I'm really don't like are the upside down levels. I don't ever want to play a level that is upside down.

I'm a bit worried about other features though. Having to pay a online fee to just download/upload levels makes me partly want to skip the game. And having to pay a fee and connect online to play local wireless is awful. There's also no local play on top of that?

The game is missing features like 100 mario, costumes? I don't mind trying out endless mode, but why take away 100 mario challenge? Can we play it online with friends or not? How does things like tags, level search, level sharing outside of the game, endles mode work exactly?

This direct answered a many questions but also created a lot of new ones. I think they should have made it more clear in the direct about what the game has or don't have instead of showing a 5 minute tutorial. There shouldn't be this many questions this close to release.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Peach should be playable in games like this. Still, it looks terrific.

The stylus is only available in EU and Japan? Bummer.
Game will be masterful, but man I wish Nintendo took a cue from Sakurai and was more flexible with certain options, i.e. playing with friends, separating the night themes from their gimmicks, etc
...can you not play with friends?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Peach should be playable in games like this. Still, it looks terrific.

The stylus is only available in EU and Japan? Bummer.

...can you not play with friends?
Have you seen online with friends? I'm like the only person calling Nintendo out on it. They haven't said you can play online with friends

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Idk, there was chatter in here about randos only, so I figured Ninty was being back-asswards again

Well... they didn't specifically say you could invite friends, which is probably where the confusion is coming from. Normally this would be taken for granted, but this is Nintendo we're talking about - the company that doesn't let you group with friends in Splatoon 2. So who knows.

Splendy

Oct 25, 2017
Idk, there was chatter in here about randos only, so I figured Ninty was being back-asswards again
I think its more that they were no confirmation of online friend play, and that, paired with ninty's aforementioned history, has lead to concerns. Still no confirmation that its "*not* in there so it could go either way. Here's hoping

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
Noticed you can dislike levels now. Not sure I like that decision. That's a recipe for disaster if dislikes are public.
It's something that is going to discourage people from making levels, and that's the worst thing this game can do.

On the other side, I hate troll and unfair levels with a passion and downvoting cheap death traps would encourage better level design. I hope the negative votes are not public tho. Just for internal control or maybe to lower the odds for those levels to appear randomly in the challenge.

Very nice the option to assign tags for musical and auto-Mario levels in the search options, if they add a "Kaizo" tag so I can exclude them, I'll be pretty happy. Mega-Pro streamers could be in Heaven and the rest of mortals, too.

Oct 27, 2017
These new toolsets will likely make weep uncontrollable and then I will go to youtube to watch Patrick Klepek weeping uncontrollably playing the same levels.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
1) Im sure more things will be shown during E3 week at the treehouse, you don't think that direct showed you everything do you? Gotta leave some stuff to show off, however see 2.

2) anything your disappointed missing could either - be patched in (game modes for local play example) , added as dlc ( super mario 2/gameboy stuff) or in Super Mario Maker 3 (n64, galaxy, Odyssey or indeed kart stuff)

Last edited:

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2) anything your disappointed missing could either - be patched in (game modes for local play example) , added as dlc ( super mario 2/gameboy stuff) or in Super Mario Maker 3 (n64, galaxy, Odyssey or indeed kart stuff)

"Didn't get what you wanted? Wait 4-5 years for another sequel!"

sorry, but I find take really funny, lol

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Well... they didn't specifically say you could invite friends, which is probably where the confusion is coming from. Normally this would be taken for granted, but this is Nintendo we're talking about - the company that doesn't let you group with friends in Splatoon 2. So who knows.

Splatoon 2 doesn't let you play in a party with friends in the basic Turf War, but it doesn't ever prevent you from playing with them. In addition you can party in League and Salmon Run.

MM2 will have playing with friends.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well Smash didn't have it till 5 months later

They brought it the same day they added stage builder though.

Splatoon 2 doesn't let you play in a party with friends in the basic Turf War, but it doesn't ever prevent you from playing with them. In addition you can party in League and Salmon Run.

MM2 will have playing with friends.

It's not fun to constantly coordinate with friends about when you need to join on their turf war game and then hope you get shuffled onto a team together. It's bad. There's no reason for it to be that way. If Salmon Run ran 24/7, that would be a little more acceptable.... but it doesn't. And league play is (or was?) full of cheaters.

Splatoon 2 is a shining example of how not to handle multiplayer with friends.

Last edited:

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
2018 Everyone is here.
2019 Everything is here.

Exactly.

Promo art:
SMM2_3.jpg

That is going to work as wallpaper.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
They brought it the same day they added stage builder though.

It's not fun to constantly coordinate with friends about when you need to join on their turf war game and then hope you get shuffled onto a team together. It's bad. There's no reason for it to be that way. If Salmon Run ran 24/7, that would be a little more acceptable.... but it isn't. And league play is (or was?) full of cheaters.

Splatoon 2 is a shining example of how not to handle multiplayer with friends.

I'm in no way defending Splatoon 2's multiplayer implementation. My point is that you always can play with friends, and problem they were trying to solve (teaming up during casual play), isn't an issue in MM2. Fears that MM2 will be randoms only are unfounded

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The recurring issue with online Nintendo games is that you can't party up with friends and matchmake together against randoms. Like all of them have private lobbies with friends and I don't expect Mario Maker 2 to be any different.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in no way defending Splatoon 2's multiplayer implementation. My point is that you always can play with friends, and problem they were trying to solve (teaming up during casual play), isn't an issue in MM2. Fears that MM2 will be randoms only are unfounded

I think you're right, but I'm not going to feel 100% safe until they say that explicitly simply because of how bad Splatoon 2 is. Not to mention Super Mario Party's online features.... loud sigh

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm now do I use this 2nd Voucher for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or do I hang on to it for Astral Chain. 🤔

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
The recurring issue with online Nintendo games is that you can't party up with friends and matchmake together against randoms. Like all of them have private lobbies with friends and I don't expect Mario Maker 2 to be any different.

You can't strictly play with a friend on the same party vs other randoms, and yes that's super annoying, but did this Direct indicate that there was any kind of 2v2 modes? My connection was a tad shoddy during the stream and I haven't rewatched. What I saw looked like mostly free-for-all, or everybody on the same team

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
You can't strictly play with a friend on the same party vs other randoms, and yes that's super annoying, but did this Direct indicate that there was any kind of 2v2 modes? My connection was a tad shoddy during the stream and I haven't rewatched. What I saw looked like mostly free-for-all, or everybody on the same team

Oh, idk. I have no interest in matchmaking in a party with this game. I just want to be able to invite friends to a private lobby to play.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Maker Wii U had 60 levels made by NIntendo and the 3DS one 100. Were any of those 160 levels great? I wonder if they'll upload them eventually to Mario Maker 2 or if users will be able to recreate them, they didn't take any features out did they?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Maker Wii U had 60 levels made by NIntendo and the 3DS one 100. Were any of those 160 levels great? I wonder if they'll upload them eventually to Mario Maker 2 or if users will be able to recreate them, they didn't take any features out did they?
The levels in wii u were okay. I have seen all the 3DS levels and they also seem okay.

Both sets are really just "hey check out what you can do with THIS" with not a lot of stand outs

I guess to put it another way most mario levels are made with a gimmick in mind, these are levels designed to show off a gimmick?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This looks awesome. a lot of good additions. I was kind of bummed when they brought up the super mario 3d world bit only to find its just still for 2d levels. If they let you build full 3d stages I would have lost my mind. Still, a lot of good additions and changes. Will be there day 1.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
So (spiny) Skipsqueaks
make_panel02_05.png
now jump when you jump.

It'd be awesome if they could activate blocks including on/off blocks.

Then you could essentially recreate the Red-Blue Panels from Galaxy/3D Land/3D World that swap whenever you jump.

Flippy_platforms_scene_SM3DL.png

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
The levels in wii u were okay. I have seen all the 3DS levels and they also seem okay.

Both sets are really just "hey check out what you can do with THIS" with not a lot of stand outs

I guess to put it another way most mario levels are made with a gimmick in mind, these are levels designed to show off a gimmick?
I don't remember the WiiU version having any but the Nintendo world championship levels

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm PRAYING Nintendo just decided not to reveal you can play multiplayer online with your friends today and will announce it at E3.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
So happy, this looks so amazing!! I loved Mario Maker 1 sooo much and have been anticipating a sequel for ages - everything shown today excites me!

The only dumb thing is the further confirmation that Toadette has become the 'girl' for multiplayer Mario instead of Peach. :( That suuuucks so much. It's better than 'yellow Toad' I guess but not by much.

Damn it WE WANT PLAYABLE PEACH!

Mario 2 set the character select screen years ago, whhhy change it? >_<

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
This is goty, guaranteed. Maybe Switch goty of the forever.