• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
So (spiny) Skipsqueaks
make_panel02_05.png
now jump when you jump.

It'd be awesome if they could activate blocks including on/off blocks.

Then you could essentially recreate the Red-Blue Panels from Galaxy/3D Land/3D World that swap whenever you jump.

Flippy_platforms_scene_SM3DL.png
If they can't do it directly I'm sure you could rig a device where them jumping triggers a shell to hit the block and reset the shells position, or do it with a muncher

Teppic

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Maker Wii U had 60 levels made by NIntendo and the 3DS one 100. Were any of those 160 levels great? I wonder if they'll upload them eventually to Mario Maker 2 or if users will be able to recreate them, they didn't take any features out did they?
Wii U levels were short and not that good. Not worth playing really. Haven't played the 3DS version.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
No stylus mention for NA kind of depresses me. We're the only region that's seemingly not getting it. I guess similar to Fatal Frame V, it just wasn't worth a physical release. :(

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
I'm PRAYING Nintendo just decided not to reveal you can play multiplayer online with your friends today and will announce it at E3.
I'd be very surprised tbh. The part of the direct where they show off the online menus pretty clearly doesn't give an option for connecting to friends.

Maybe they'll patch it in if it's a highly requested feature...

Oct 25, 2017
I caught up on this a bit late today due to a prior conflict, but I've pored over the video and read through this thread, and I am just so overwhelmed.

Still, a few things I want to talk about that people don't seem to be discussing at all:

1. Scroll stop. Nobody's talking about this! Do you know what a big deal this is? On my own courses I had to leave considerable space to isolate areas and keep them out of view, as did anyone who used the old horizontal layout to create pseudo-vertical climbing courses (which I'm sure will still be around if the new vertical layouts are restricted to sub-zones) or multi-room puzzle stages. But the biggest impact of all will be on control over despawning distances. It will now be possible to build boss arenas or contraption rooms wider because you can set a hard scrolling boundary on either side. Despawning bugs were always a massive pain for ambitious designs with lots of moving parts, and this considerably enhances the toolkit for keeping them under control.

2. Post-completion notes and comments. Not that random strangers ever play anything twice, but on the "Post a Comment" screen, notice the checkbox labelled "Require course clear to view". I'm elated to have comments/annotations back (along with a creator description that you can use to give a hint, synopsis, or optional objective right from the course selection screen), because of the power it gives you to enhance your own creations by communicating unconventional mechanics or introducing narrative material. But this adds a whole other level: it allows players to comment on particulars without spoiling a solution for newcomers, and if you're annotating your own work as a course creator, you could even include something like a "developer commentary" for returning players.

3. Dry Bones Shell. Since Mario wears this below instead of above, in the same manner as Kuribo's Shoe, I wonder if it will be possible to wear the Dry Bones shell on the bottom and a Spiny/Buzzy hat on top (again, like the existing combinations with the boot) and what the priority will be when you take damage (currently, the boot goes first). This is one of the first things I want to test with the new item. I also wonder if its interaction with lava is specific to the Castle theme (where lava replaces bottomless pits) or if it will also work as a flotation device on water stages. It looks like it works with rising and falling lava, though, so I don't see why its interaction with water wouldn't be the same.

4. Clear conditions look optional. Or are they? Can you still reach the goal the standard way without them, and does it count? If so, an open question: are they separately tracked or timed, and will we be able to see a separate completion rate for them? I'm excited to play with these, because if they are optional, they essentially create a built-in hard mode for every single course you build (a no-hit run, for instance), without having to take up two upload spots. Conditions like "reach the goal with this item" finally give us something to do with pink coin objectives scattered throughout the course that unlock a bonus door at the end. And although we haven't seen it yet, the condition I really want to see here is a no-checkpoint run.

5. Search by difficulty. Notice how there's a difficulty selection and a "sort by clear rate". Speculatively, by using both of these at once, you could look for something tagged as Expert (for instance) and sort by clear rate, lowest first, to pick courses of an appropriate difficulty for yourself that still filter out Super Expert. In SMM1, the Easy/Normal/Expert/Super Expert designation actually isn't based on clear rate, as far as I can tell. Clear rate is based on "clears per total attempts" (successful clears over total lives); from what I've observed, the difficulty designation is based instead on "percentage of players cleared" (successful players over total players). I personally don't know if I'll get that much use of the in-game discovery features, as I always found in SMM1 that the very best experience came from browsing communities and recommendations outside of the game, but I think the fine-tuning in SMM2 could produce some quality results.

These are just some scrappy initial impressions; I'll jot more down as I think of them.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I didn't know that was a requirement

Easily the greatest requirement they put in. It was like that at launch for the first one as well.

With checkpoints you even have to beat the level without respawning at checkpoints and then beat the level again from each checkpoint starting place.

The absolute longest a level could take is just under 800 seconds because of that.

Edit: QuixoticNeutral check the trailer again because they show mario riding in a dry bone shell on lava while breaking stuff with a spiny hat :)

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what other.... well, story.... is in story mode?

Do we think Bowser will show up at the end for a final boss? You'll have to challenge him and he'll pay coins to help you rebuild or what? lol

It's just curious that they called it Story Mode to me, very un-Nintendo. Would've expected "Castle Builder" or something

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
Y'all going physical or digital?

No stylus mention for NA kind of depresses me. We're the only region that's seemingly not getting it. I guess similar to Fatal Frame V, it just wasn't worth a physical release. :(
i keep wondering if it might be a retailer exclusive. But st this point I've almost given up hope.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
The 3DS Nintendo levels were good. I spent 100s of hours on the Wii U version and I don't even remember that one having any Nintendo levels lol, I'm guessing they weren't memorable?

I think the MM2 ones will be good, story mode sounds awesome and the costume unlocks etc will give me heaps of stuff to play for which I LOVE! But by the sounds of it a lot of the levels will be based purely on 'look at what you can do in this game' type stuff showing off a feature or gimmick. Still should be fun though.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
4. Clear conditions look optional. Or are they? Can you still reach the goal the standard way without them, and does it count? If so, an open question: are they separately tracked or timed, and will we be able to see a separate completion rate for them? I'm excited to play with these, because if they are optional, they essentially create a built-in hard mode for every single course you build (a no-hit run, for instance), without having to take up two upload spots. Conditions like "reach the goal with this item" finally give us something to do with pink coin objectives scattered throughout the course that unlock a bonus door at the end. And although we haven't seen it yet, the condition I really want to see here is a no-checkpoint run.
I am reasonably sure it's not optional Like we see the end goal activate only once the goal is met, I think
May need to rewatch

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: QuixoticNeutral check the trailer again because they show mario riding in a dry bone shell on lava while breaking stuff with a spiny hat :)

Thanks—there's just so much going on all over the place that I didn't even pick up on that, even though it was right in front of me.

One more thing, now that I'm looking over the multiplayer segment again: instant respawns in Multiplayer Versus. (They look pretty quick, anyway.) No downtime for dying and retrying. It's going to make such a big difference to the flow of the game, and if standard single-player still works the old way, this is actually a strong incentive to play multiplayer instead as the best point of contact with the nonsense of the random queue.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Super Mario Maker Wii U had 60 levels made by NIntendo and the 3DS one 100. Were any of those 160 levels great? I wonder if they'll upload them eventually to Mario Maker 2 or if users will be able to recreate them, they didn't take any features out did they?
I think the 3DS levels are pretty good. Certainly rely on gimmicks as each world gives you building elements when you beat the level set. I think there were 18 worlds. What was so great about the levels is two challenges that could be pretty difficult that added a lot of replay value to the levels. Hopefully they add something like that to story mode.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
4. Clear conditions look optional.
They're not. In the multiplayer vs. section, you can see a castle level where the axe is grayed out until someone defeats Bowser.

There's some really interesting conditions though, like don't touch the ground after leaving it. Even some of the more mundane ones look like they can greatly simplify anti-cheese for puzzle levels.

Oct 25, 2017
They're not. In the multiplayer vs. section, you can see a castle level where the axe is grayed out until someone defeats Bowser.

There's some really interesting conditions though, like don't touch the ground after leaving it. Even some of the more mundane ones look like they can greatly simplify anti-cheese for puzzle levels.

Yes, now that I look at this carefully again, it looks like you're right about this. I actually wish this were available both ways, but even so, the clear conditions create some interesting situations—for example, courses that give you a power-up right at the start, but don't allow you to take a hit. Let's say you have a level where you absolutely need a Fire Flower to get anywhere at all; now you don't need to waste the player's time if they take a hit and find it impossible to continue without deliberately dying or restarting.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was not excited for MM2.

But this looks insane. Story mode and Competitive multiplayer? Ok. I'm in.
That's exactly how I felt before the direct, I was hoping they would sell me on it and they did

I could put a lot of hrs into online competitive Mario, and def doing the story mode it's basically a new single player 2d mario

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly looks amazing, I was surprised by how many new features the game has.

I'm still waiting to see if importing Mario Maker 1 stages is possible, though.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hate to be a debbie downer but I have a hard time imagining that the online multiplayer will work well. 2D Mario will quickly turn to crap if the connection between players is any less than perfect.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I cannot wait to see what Ross tortures Arin with this time. And for Jirard and Alex to play again hopefully. Also Dashie. Maybe Patrick Keplek can come back out of hiding and do his Mario Maker Mornings again. I don't even want to play the game. I just want to sink my eyeballs into as many YouTubers as possible.

Not surprised that the 3D World theme needs a complete reset. I guess it had to be done. But at least the other 4 themes will be swappable on the fly. But the stuff 3D World can do is gonna be amazing. Can't wait to see what themes everyone uses the most.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I really disliked the way levels were shared in the first game this seems to be the same which is a bummer. If the online play doesn't get great reviews this may be a pass.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Man, if the hypothetical unannounced style is SMB2 and, like the 3D World theme, requires a complete restart I wouldn't be surprised. But I want to see it so bad. We're getting our hopes up but I want it so badly. So much potential there. I can't really think of anything else it could be. And putting it in the "Other" section does imply that anything down there would require a fresh canvas to use for each one.

Oct 25, 2017
If the newly added course description can be edited for a course that you have already uploaded, this could be useful for linking a level code for a new/updated version of the same level, or a challenge mode with a different completion condition. (You could always add this in a comment card, of course.)

julian

Oct 27, 2017
1. Scroll stop. Nobody's talking about this! Do you know what a big deal this is? On my own courses I had to leave considerable space to isolate areas and keep them out of view, as did anyone who used the old horizontal layout to create pseudo-vertical climbing courses (which I'm sure will still be around if the new vertical layouts are restricted to sub-zones) or multi-room puzzle stages. But the biggest impact of all will be on control over despawning distances. It will now be possible to build boss arenas or contraption rooms wider because you can set a hard scrolling boundary on either side. Despawning bugs were always a massive pain for ambitious designs with lots of moving parts, and this considerably enhances the toolkit for keeping them under control.

I'm definitely excited for this. I had to leave so much space to keep the illusion of rooms. I mentioned earlier, but with the split multiplayer it could make for some crazy puzzles where everyone is in a separate room hitting different switches or some other crazy shit.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
IqyQGZx.jpg
@RagnarokX I'll concede defeat on the SMB3 forest theme and mini pipe thing. Had a better look on the JP website, and both of those things are 100% confirmed.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Man, if the hypothetical unannounced style is SMB2 and, like the 3D World theme, requires a complete restart I wouldn't be surprised. But I want to see it so bad. We're getting our hopes up but I want it so badly. So much potential there. I can't really think of anything else it could be. And putting it in the "Other" section does imply that anything down there would require a fresh canvas to use for each one.

I could see a possibility of (free) DLC down the line to add a theme or two if not at launch. Guaranteed the game will have free feature updates like the original, it's not much if a stretch and would really excite people.