• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Just saw this screenshot on the JP website:
mv_slide04.jpg

Purple Toad in a builder hat? This was with story mode screenshots, for context.

May 15, 2019
I originally was going to wait for a sale on the game, but after seeing that direct I got convinced the game would be awesome for me day 1. Might grab that voucher and pick up Super Mario Party or Yoshi's Crafted World with it!

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Clear pipes being 3D World only is a bummer considering how SMB3 actually had a similar concept (except they weren't clear).

I wanna make SMB3 levels like those pipe mazes in World 7, dammit

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
So do we know what CourseBot is? It's listed in the Online menu under CourseWorld.
Courseb
IqyQGZx.jpg
@RagnarokX I'll concede defeat on the SMB3 forest theme and mini pipe thing. Had a better look on the JP website, and both of those things are 100% confirmed.
Also it's a bit interesting. We see in this screenshot...
jke0lzT.jpg

It's obfuscated by the poison water, but the whole ground is nothing but vertical small pipes. Also note that the aesthetic pieces, which only randomly appear on terrain, are pipes with valves and such. Weird semisolids...

The ground in this shot:
WKoYAGu.jpg

is actually just a sideways yellow warp pipe.

Another giveaway is that water is only on forest theme.

They're trying to emulate this level in particular:
hKKEyDVm.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Extra minute of Japanese footage:

You see the new pipe palette at around 0:30. It looks like it confirms different spawning speeds for the different pipe colours, in the order blue, green, yellow, red (from slowest to fastest, graded from one arrow to four arrows).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

You see the new pipe palette at around 0:30. It looks like it confirms different spawning speeds for the different pipe colours, in the order blue, green, yellow, red (from slowest to fastest, graded from one arrow to four arrows).

This also confirms that the Big Mushroom is the new "extra" Power-Up in the SMB theme. No Mystery or Weird Mushrooms in sight, unfortunately.

Also, I was right about the 3D World cloud theme r_n

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

Also some brief snippets of the Edit themes for some of the new tracks hell yeah

And confirmation that the toy block theme is in deed sky
man i seriously do NOT remember this aesthetic at all

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got around to watching this Direct and I imeediately went and pre purchased MM2 (Using my newly minted Game Vouchers that I picked up for this year).

I am beyond excited for this game. My only hope is that Nintendo won't start mystery removing peoples levels for no reason like they had a bad habit doing in the first game. I had two of my levels "removed" and made unplayable and was never given a reason. Really shitty practice.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
This also confirms that the Big Mushroom is the new "extra" Power-Up in the SMB theme. No Mystery or Weird Mushrooms in sight, unfortunately.
Completing axing the Mystery mushroom is such a bizarre move. Like even if they didn't want all the amiibo supported, they should have at least left all the mario series costumes in.

on part of the weird mushroom, though, I'll say maybe hold on a little hope? In the first game it was 1% chance of randomly spawning instead of a mushroom and to get it as an actual option you had to beat all the world championship levels

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
So I scrubbed through the multiplayer portion a few times and noticed that SMB1 Luigi is still using his actual SMB1 sprite while small. So the kind of fire flower colors, yo uknow?

But this flier from a while back ( https://i.imgur.com/W1Wz1eH.jpg ) uses Luigi's standard colors that were used in SMBDX

I suppose it's possible that he uses that sprite when he grows large (we didn't see large SMB1 luigi in the trailer I dont think) but why not use the smaller sprite from the same game for consistency's sake while you're at it? So did they just decide against it later in development?

Also has that 8 bit builder mario on it. But if Mystery Mushrooms are gone maybe it's just a thing you can unlock for beating story mode or something for multiplayer. Or just put on to help fill space like the SMBDX luigi, I guess

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
So I scrubbed through the multiplayer portion a few times and noticed that SMB1 Luigi is still using his actual SMB1 sprite while small. So the kind of fire flower colors, yo uknow?

But this flier from a while back ( https://i.imgur.com/W1Wz1eH.jpg ) uses Luigi's standard colors that were used in SMBDX

I suppose it's possible that he uses that sprite when he grows large (we didn't see large SMB1 luigi in the trailer I dont think) but why not use the smaller sprite from the same game for consistency's sake while you're at it? So did they just decide against it later in development?

Also has that 8 bit builder mario on it. But if Mystery Mushrooms are gone maybe it's just a thing you can unlock for beating story mode or something for multiplayer. Or just put on to help fill space like the SMBDX luigi, I guess

From the footage we saw, I think that's strangely Luigi's Fire Flower colors this time o_O

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Just finished watching, it looked really good! I think I will confirm my pre-order, I will decide if to change from normal to limited edition since I would pay it only 40€ but I am not sure if my GameStop will give the own stylus with the limited, since they say they will give it with the normal while the steelbook with the limited.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
From the footage we saw, I think that's strangely Luigi's Fire Flower colors this time o_O
This got me to check the footage again (there was more later i nthe direct I skipped!) and I did find Fire Luigi but he's not those colors

excuse the darker colors, i still had flux on
EVpeEEo.png

There's also this bit, where everyone in the SMB1 theme is giant in gooma shoes
WoGUSuv.png

Where Luigi has his standard hat color, but I think this is more the effects of the Big Mushroom since everyone is using their "modern" appearence

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that the Japanese site shows a new assistant named Nina, while Mary O. is nowhere to be seen.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty disappointing how they're handling night versions. It appears that, except for ghost house, every other theme uses the same starry sky background across the board.

So instead of going from this: (SMM2)
fYsq1bal.jpg

to this: (NSMBU)
atrZsO1l.jpg

or this: (NSMBU)
cQyOpstl.jpg

We get a plain sky with nothing between it and the foreground: (SMM2)
eO7VyC6.jpg

Also I wish they would give use more decorative elements. It's still just 3 semisolids. Adding trees and stuff like in that first NSMBU shot can make a world of difference in making a level look less plain.

Based on this screenshot even castle uses this background:
7k63Bk8.jpg

AmericanKirby

Aug 31, 2018
Inside your house
The fact that water is exclusive to the forest theme is so fuckin dumb. There are so many cool ways that could be combined with other themes it's honestly a bit of a waste. Same with lava in the castle theme to an extent.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Courseb

Also it's a bit interesting. We see in this screenshot...
jke0lzT.jpg

It's obfuscated by the poison water, but the whole ground is nothing but vertical small pipes. Also note that the aesthetic pieces, which only randomly appear on terrain, are pipes with valves and such. Weird semisolids...

The ground in this shot:
WKoYAGu.jpg

is actually just a sideways yellow warp pipe.

Another giveaway is that water is only on forest theme.

They're trying to emulate this level in particular:
hKKEyDVm.jpg
I appreciate that they're sorta giving us pipe maze, since that's one of the most unique worlds in 2D Mario.

I haven't kept up with the thread, what's the consensus on the Choco Island shot we saw? Is it just the SMW version of a new theme (desert?) or are we thinking something unannounced, like mountain?

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I appreciate that they're sorta giving us pipe maze, since that's one of the most unique worlds in 2D Mario.

I haven't kept up with the thread, what's the consensus on the Choco Island shot we saw? Is it just the SMW version of a new theme (desert?) or are we thinking something unannounced, like mountain?
It's desert. The direct labeled it as desert when they went over the night versions.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty disappointing how they're handling night versions. It appears that, except for ghost house, every other theme uses the same starry sky background across the board.

So instead of going from this: (SMM2)
fYsq1bal.jpg

to this: (NSMBU)
atrZsO1l.jpg

or this: (NSMBU)
cQyOpstl.jpg

We get a plain sky with nothing between it and the foreground: (SMM2)
eO7VyC6.jpg

Also I wish they would give use more decorative elements. It's still just 3 semisolids. Adding trees and stuff like in that first NSMBU shot can make a world of difference in making a level look less plain.

Based on this screenshot even castle uses this background:
7k63Bk8.jpg
At least it's not a still iamge of the night sky, I guess.
It'd still be better if, like you said, it was a starry sky box version of the standard theme (so you got the trees on snow theme, the hills on ground theme, etc) but the movement and showing different star pattersn, constellations, and swirly galaxies will help keep it less plain then it could have

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
You get a fucking car in Mario.

I suspect that there will be DLC and it will be expensive.

Now I need to figure out how to get time off work. This is going to consume me.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
All of the DLC content in the original was free, and if they add more here it would probably be free too.
I think some stuff will be free but I can very easily see others being paid.

Like a few new items like we had in SMM1? Modes, likely? Obviously free.

But new game styles? I'd be surprised if we got any for free, assuming we get more in the first place, of course. Especially if we have any more 3d game -> 2D conversions since there'll be way more to implement.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So much added but I agree with some of the negatives. This is coming out two years into the switch.

Maybe they will add content over time. Super hyped for it.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
At least it's not a still iamge of the night sky, I guess.
It'd still be better if, like you said, it was a starry sky box version of the standard theme (so you got the trees on snow theme, the hills on ground theme, etc) but the movement and showing different star pattersn, constellations, and swirly galaxies will help keep it less plain then it could have
I think it's especially bad for themes like forest where it gets rid of all the trees. Not much of a forest anymore.

You go from this:
TDVosWOl.jpg

to this:
10kQe6ql.jpg

When these backgrounds already exists:
iy2E75el.jpg

pDCR0pfl.jpg

5oJGom3l.jpg

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favourite gameplay loop by Nintendo has always either been classic 2D Mario, or maybe Mario Kart (but that gameplay hasn't addicted me in all games, it only really felt good to me from the DS and GameCube version onwards). When I bought a Switch a couple months after release, a Maker port was the main thing I wanted, between the fact I never owned a Wii U (I played it a fair amount at a buddy's house) and the portability of it. I bought Maker for the 3DS, but it really wasn't the same: I was ready for the big thing.

After seeing this direct last night, I am ready for this to become my favourite Nintendo game ever. It expands on the core of the 2D Mario gameplay that it's insane, allowing people to customize so much shit like the water, the backdrops, the autoscroll, even adding bonkers stuff like the car. And most importantly, it finally seems to come as a full online package with proper level sharing, level tagging, level searches, co-op and competitive modes (Jazz Jackrabbit 2 two decades ago had a very addictive multiplayer because of these features and I'm so happy a big platformer is finally taking cues from it) and tons of different playlists to try the community's crazy levels.

I never really doubted my Switch purchase's usefulness, bar a bit of an empty spell last year in which I barely even touched the console for a couple months, but Maker 2 is almost gonna justify it on its own. It's the game I wanted and then some, and I expect it to become a serious time sink of mine. Having such a competent and exciting Maker on the go without the crippling limitations of the 3DS version and a lot of unexpected online goodness... yeah, chances are this will be my most played game on Switch, and quite possibly my favourite Nintendo first party ever made.

I really, really hope they don't screw something up along the way, because this Direct sold me 120%.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
New gameplay to analyze now:

Did we know that Charvaarghs could jump between the foreground and background like the Bonzai Bills.

Last edited:

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God I'm probably gonna lose my life playing NSMB DS styled versus maps. That mode is the shit and online is gonna make it even more insane.

Lupic

Dec 31, 2017
United Kingdom
Would be great if OP updated the first post with all the details from the direct but whatever.
Yep, this is gonna be a day one purchase like SMB:U. Thanks to Twitch Prime for the year of Online too.

Deleted member 54216

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 26, 2019
Cant understand the reaction. It is amazing that we are able to construct so many things and are able to choose between so many options. I'm Glas that i can play that.
Only one more month.
I love the 3D World focus. Such an amazing game

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
considering the amount of completely bullshit exploits that let you break the game in half and make bizarre levels that shouldnt work in mario maker 1, i have to imagine adding all this other complexity on top of it is going to one day lead to levels that are so incomprehensible they implode in on themselves like a neutron star

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing Direct, too much to list but very pleased with controllable/changeable auto-scrolling and changeable water/lava levels.

The 3D World look and feature set is incredible!

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I just watched it and I'm very pleased with what I saw. Lots of new features that will allow to witness incredible creativity. Not a fan of the 3d world theme, it's visually too close to nsmb, but I admit it has a lot more gameplay differences from other themes.
I obviously expect DLC, which should be free if it's the same as the first game.
The online feature is more fleshed out than what I expected (I didn't think online versus or co-op would be a thing). The online sub requirement is a bummer but was totally expected, they want to sell their crappy service after all.
I just preloaded it, as I want this to be permanently on my system and took the special edition, for the stylus and the 10€ cut on the online sub.
Can't wait to play this.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Looks insane. They added way more stuff than I was expecting. This is a day one purchase now. Even though I think the new possibilities are probably going to be too overwhelming for me and I don't see myself creating as many levels as in the first one. Still, this should be great.