• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Seems like you can have a persistent group of players online and just go from level to level. Do you have to tag your level as a multiplayer level for it to be played that way, or is it a free-for-all?

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Splitting it into parts:

1. Pipes come in smaller sizes and can be diagonal
    • This is incorrect as far as we know. This is just what the ground looks like in SMB3 Forest, which is emulating Pipe Maze from SMB3. Which is the answer to Andre's question about what theme it is.
  2. New sound effects
  3. Luigi's SMW sprite is the All Stars version.
  4. NSMBU underground now has waterfalls. NSMBU airship mushroom platforms now have a mechanical look.
    • NSMBU underground actually always had those waterfalls. They just made the water more opaque and blue this time. It looks like they've increased the saturation/contrast on a lot of backgrounds.
  5. Spin jump in 3DW
  6. ! symbol when block contains an item is now in the bottom right corner instead of center. In multiplayer a ? block can be hit multiple times and multiple mushrooms come out
  7. In multiplayer you just respawn. No bubbles.
  8. There are a couple of scenes where boo rings move towards Mario without being on a track.
  9. There's a cartoon robot floating in space in the background of the course world menu.
  10. The fishbones on the fishbones t-shirt is animated.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I said something similar, it makes the first one look like a tech demo.
That's a better way of putting it, yeah. This is the sort of sequel jump that transcends mere generational differences.

As for the potential second extra style...what would the various games do?

For instance, for a SMB2 style:
-Throwable vegetables/enemies/ground things
-Different enemies: Birdo, shy guys, etc
-Stop watch
-Secret potion room potential?
-Digging and quicksand?

Would be my guesses. Maybe new health mechanics, maybe new character stats (but probably not).

What about for other styles though? SML, SMG...even Odyssey could be brought to 2D as a style.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
  1. Pipes come in smaller sizes and can be diagonal
    • This is incorrect as far as we know. This is just what the ground looks like in SMB3 Forest, which is emulating Pipe Maze from SMB3. Which is the answer to Andre's question about what theme it is.
There are small and diagonal pipes in this screenshot.
WKoYAGu.jpg

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it isn't Land or Land 2. Those are too similar to the regular game styles to really be "extra". SMB2 is the most likely imo, but I guess if they go a bit crazy we could see SM64 or SMO.
No, I imagine not. I expect for the 3D>2D stuff they'd mostly add things to Mario (hat stuff, midair kicks, outfits/transformations, etc etc), although I can imagine an interpretation of Galaxy getting crazy with what they'd add to the actual level design side of things.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Had a thought & know it's early talk but the Next game in the series should clearly be

Super Mario Maker 3D

Mario 64
Sunshine

Galaxy 1
Galaxy 2
Odyssey

So it feels fresh & different leaving SMM2 as the final 2D Mario package, anything missing 2D wise from SMM2 currently should be dlc.

Then move onto a 3D Mario Games Maker in 4-5 yrs possibly with a new more powerful Switch by then.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Not sure how I missed this until now but holy shit at all that stuff packed into 17 mins. Like just... wow. It just kept going and getting better and better. Nintendo knocked it out of the park with that presentation and can't wait to play this game.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, which other service sets a minimum purchase of $100 for their discounts to apply?

LOL You already get a discount (cashback) on all digital games via gold coins so there is no €100 minimum. They have eshop sales as well continuously if you haven't noticed?

Its only a €100 minimum here because you are able to use it on games that you know, cost €60 on launch.

Lol such a weird issue you seem to have over a completely optional discount. Bizarre

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so, i'm not sure i got it right. do you need NSO just for uploading and sharing the levels you've made? can someone download other people's levels without NSO?

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I saw the mention of "disliking levels" a few pages ago and people getting worried about that feature.

However, doesn't this simply mean it works like Steam? ie: You dislike it for yourself so it doesn't show up in your feed any more?

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see any 3d world multiplayer in there anywhere, did I get that right?
I'm pretty sure there was, the clip where they're all bouncing around in the start box.
so, i'm not sure i got it right. do you need NSO just for uploading and sharing the levels you've made? can someone download other people's levels without NSO?
I don't think so, I'm pretty sure all and any online interactions requires a sub.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Mario 64 2D with Metal Mario would be really cool. Also cannons you can shoot out of, maybe even flight? Maybe a castle level theme? Tick tock theme? Maybe throwable bosses? Race to finish against Kooper levels?

And amazing music!

Apr 9, 2019
Looks like they couldn't convert the 3D World style into sprites the way they did with NSMBU. Would explain why it's incompatible with the other styles.

Story mode looks like it could be quite involved. Would be awesome!

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like they couldn't convert the 3D World style into sprites the way they did with NSMBU. Would explain why it's incompatible with the other styles.

Story mode looks like it could be quite involved. Would be awesome!
Actually I think it's the other way around. They didn't want to make new 3D Models and animations for things 3D World didn't have so they decided to just make it unique.

Some things are weird, like trampoline mushrooms being exclusive when they'd be really easy to make sprites for. The NSMB games had them.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
LOL You already get a discount (cashback) on all digital games via gold coins so there is no €100 minimum. They have eshop sales as well continuously if you haven't noticed?

Its only a €100 minimum here because you are able to use it on games that you know, cost €60 on launch.

Lol such a weird issue you seem to have over a completely optional discount. Bizarre
No, you're simply moving the goalposts. You said that PS Plus does the same thing as this. But they don't.

No one said they offered a $100 minimum purchase on every single discounted item, only on this specific offer. Yes, you can use it on games that cost $60 at launch. Although many of the titles are older and have already been discounted for less than $50, and most people do not make $50 games purchases in pairs.

As for PS Plus discounts versus the eShop sales, I rather wish Nintendo would offer that degree of discount, where a major exclusive title like Horizon can be discounted to around $10 with all of its DLC included. Have they done anything like that with Zelda? I believe PSN had God of War for $35 recently. The degree of discount offered in PSN sales isn't remotely comparable to Nintendo's discounts, which I rightly described as meager.

As for my "bizarre" issue with this, I simply made an off-handed remark that it's funny Nintendo seems to think this is some fantastic discount and that it's a comment on how poor their discounts are compared to other platforms. I find it much more bizarre that so many people feel the need to pile in to defend Nintendo's honor on the issue of pricing because of a short comment made in passing during a quick-moving thread on a livestream

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
My last post on this as it's totally offtopic. Well, they could do anything but it would be counterproductive, I'm sure Nintendo is looking for a cleaner and fresher experience with it. As far as I know, NSMBU isn't competitive and the bubble thing would certainly not work in Mario Maker. In any case, eShop says the game supports up to 4 people (see edit post: https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...uirements-and-multiplayer-limitations.117196/), so maybe there's a mode we don't know yet, but I don't expect race modes and so to be local co-op compatible, it would just not work properly.

I dont see how could be counterproductive, maybe only that NSMBU would be less popular.
Thats a point, they could easily include at least co-op not vs mode, and yes, bubble thing and screen zoom could easily work also like it works in New Super Luigi U that also has fast levels.
If game really supports 4 co-op local multiplayer, than it's totally different thing.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
I dont see how could be counterproductive, maybe only that NSMBU would be less popular.
Thats a point, they could easily include at least co-op not vs mode, and yes, bubble thing and screen zoom could easily work also like it works in New Super Luigi U that also has fast levels.
If game really supports 4 co-op local multiplayer, than it's totally different thing.
Co-op in smaller and slow paced courses would work but I don't know how could the game differentiate which levels are fast and not, maybe story mode has co-op? We'll see.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I don't see any 3d world multiplayer in there anywhere, did I get that right?
There are multiple clips with 3D World multiplayer, such as:

On an unrelated note, I managed to find clean versions of the screenshots from the Japanese ad, so here's a cleaner look at the NSMBU Night Castle (which... doesn't really look castle-like anymore)

bc4.png

Last edited:

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

On an unrelated note, I managed to find clean versions of the screenshots from the Japanese ad, so here's a cleaner look at the NSMBU Night Castle (which... doesn't really look castle-like anymore)

bc4.png

Really seams like they dropped the ball on the night backgrounds.
3pnwnq1l.jpg

Thwimps would be cool.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm PRAYING Nintendo just decided not to reveal you can play multiplayer online with your friends today and will announce it at E3.

That's not really 'announcement' material. I could easily believe that Nintendo thought it wasn't something that needed stating... but I could easily also believe that it's something Nintendo didn't consider.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Nice! Glad to be wrong on this one :P

It's still weird that this might support full on online multiplayer over local multiplayer. This feels like something very Un-Nintendo to do.

I mean, it's local builder vs. versus and co-op level runs. Feels like it would have been the other way around a few years ago.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, you have no idea how glad I am the game is sub-3GB. Means I never even have to consider deleting it to make room for other things.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo are really the best at making a game look more and more interesting the closer the release date.
All the new features sound awesome.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Of all the things revealed in the trailer, I think I'm disproportionately excited about the Dry Bones Shell. Hoping it will become a staple in the series.