• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did Kondo also do the new songs in the first game?

BTW I love the SMB1 ghost house song

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really excited for new koji kondo compositions.
I think we're getting a ton of them, too?
SMB1, 3 & World didn't have music for most of these themes by way of not having those themes. I think 3 & World get to keep their Athletic theme for Sky but the other 3 themes need new ones
Then there's a night time music box rendition of every theme in every style (except 3D World)

And I assume Koji Kondo is still responsible for the Edit versions of the themes right? Because that's another truck load

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't Koji Kondo on a Mario Maker treehouse segment at E3 once?

I tried looking for it but can't find it. Maybe I'm wrong.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
This is going to have all the elements from the first game too right?
We've seen everything except for the Weird Mushroom and Mystery Mushroom, but the latter is almost definitely cut.

We know there are hidden elements not revealed in the Direct properly (such as a Hammer Power-Up in the 3D World theme) but I can't see why the Mystery Mushroom would be hidden if it was returning.

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
So, what's the current feeling on four-player co-op on a single system? Is there another explanation for the max player count on the eShop and Japanese site, and the multiplayer icon in the Coursebot menu (which is not for local wireless, as that is in Course World)?

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
So, what's the current feeling on four-player co-op on a single system? Is there another explanation for the max player count on the eShop and Japanese site, and the multiplayer icon in the Coursebot menu (which is not for local wireless, as that is in Course World)?
I feel if you can edit a course in co-op. Both can play it as well?

I can 4 players in the style of the New series. Bubbles spawning and all that.

NappingRat

Jul 2, 2018
My guess is that if you want 4 player, *single screen* co-op Mario play, they want you to buy NSMBU deluxe.

It's possible that the 4 player co-op and competitive modes could work in a splitscreen format. Obviously the resolution would stink, but it would still be better than a NES/SNES (and maybe 3D world style is excluded).

That will allow the way they've set everything up for multi switch play (e.g. each screen following the player character) to still work on a single console. Just my guess!

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
We've seen everything except for the Weird Mushroom and Mystery Mushroom, but the latter is almost definitely cut.

We know there are hidden elements not revealed in the Direct properly (such as a Hammer Power-Up in the 3D World theme) but I can't see why the Mystery Mushroom would be hidden if it was returning.
There will surely be more items changed by night themes I hope. Maybe they are saving amiibo stuff for e3.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
My guess is that if you want 4 player, *single screen* co-op Mario play, they want you to buy NSMBU deluxe.

It's possible that the 4 player co-op and competitive modes could work in a splitscreen format. Obviously the resolution would stink, but it would still be better than a NES/SNES (and maybe 3D world style is excluded).

That will allow the way they've set everything up for multi switch play (e.g. each screen following the player character) to still work on a single console. Just my guess!
I'm think that it'll probably be four-way splitscreen. Games have mostly abandoned that in the modern era, but for this game it would work best. On a good TV it'll look decent; Sonic Mania Plus works well enough, and that's kinda like the versus mode in this game.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a quick observation about the Custom Scroll.

If you look at the UI for Custom Scroll (segment starts at 4:03 in the Direct), it is a straight track that goes from end to end on the screen. All you can set, in every tile column, is the height of the scroll track and the speed.

This seems to confirm a suspicion of mine: that on standard horizontal courses, the scroll direction is still left-to-right at all times, only you can make the scrolling direction diagonal. (Likewise, custom paths on vertical auto-scrolls will still progress in a vertical direction, end-to-end.) In other words, I don't think it looks like you can set a back-and-forth zigzag, a loop, a course that scrolls all the way to the right and then all the way to the left, or even a 90-degree perpendicular (scrolling straight up/down on a horizontal stage, or scrolling straight left/right on a subworld). You can still create a pseudo-auto-scroll solution of your own using tracks if you want that flexibility, like you can already in SMM1, but the built-in Custom Scroll won't do that: by the looks of it, you can only set the perpendicular axis and the speed, and nothing else.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Predictive Style Tier list part 2:
S Tier: SMW
A Tier: 3D World, SMB
B Tier: SMB3
C Tier: NSMB

No night in 3d World is kind of a bummer.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's one of the two elements from the original game unaccounted for in 2 (the other being the Weird Mushroom) so it looks like it was cut (especially since we have a replacement power-up for the SMB theme now).

If it did get cut, I'd like to know why. Maybe they didn't want to draw sprites for all the new SSBU amiibos?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Are u able to play as a constructor Mario?
We noticed a new power-up in the Japanese footage that hasn't been shown in gameplay.

SMM2_3DW_Hammer.png

It's pretty much guaranteed that Builder Mario is playable.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
If it did get cut, I'd like to know why. Maybe they didn't want to draw sprites for all the new SSBU amiibos?
My guess for why it got cut is due to the multiplayer. Might get too confusing if you've got four players all wearing the same costume, even if everyone has their own screen. Still I wish they could have included the costumes in some way, oh well...

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
During the Direct it sounded like online MP is only against randoms, and the only way to play with friends is locally? Do we know if that's the case? It's better than nothing of course (local competitive is going to be so much fun), but would be nice if you could also do it online.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm think that it'll probably be four-way splitscreen. Games have mostly abandoned that in the modern era, but for this game it would work best. On a good TV it'll look decent; Sonic Mania Plus works well enough, and that's kinda like the versus mode in this game.
Sonic Mania doesn't have custom levels, so they can optimise the levels to work in splitscreen. In Super Mario Maker you would need to render a level four times. Don't set yourself up to be disappointed.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
During the Direct it sounded like online MP is only against randoms, and the only way to play with friends is locally? Do we know if that's the case? It's better than nothing of course (local competitive is going to be so much fun), but would be nice if you could also do it online.
There isn't a concrete answer for that. It seems like it might just be randoms, but we don't know. Best to assume that Nintendo dropped the ball in that aspect though.

EDIT: Wait, scratch that. I haven't seen anyone being this up yet, but the Japanese website does seem to say that you can play with random people around the world and "close friends and family"!

EDIT AGAIN: There's the potential that the text could be referring to the local play portion there (since both online and local wireless multiplayer are under the same heading). Guess this isn't a concrete answer either.

Sonic Mania doesn't have custom levels, so they can optimise the levels to work in splitscreen. In Super Mario Maker you would need to render a level four times. Don't set yourself up to be disappointed.
I brought up Sonic Mania as more of an example of how it would look on a screen, not how it would actually function.

How do you think they would handle multiplayer on a single system then (or if you don't think it will happen, how do you explain the two things hinting towards single-console multiplayer)?

Last edited:

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You folks think we'll get those insane Amiibo costumes again? I really want to make a level dedicated to Ridley.

They are most likely completely gone. The JP site and promotional banners lacked the amiibo logo and the big mushroom replaced it, confirming a suspicion I had when the poster leaked.

I think they are gone primarly because of the multiplayer mode.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm wondering the same, but someone else here pointed out that the eShop says the game supports 1 - 4 players locally, which is a good sign, hopefully! I took a (poor) picture of the supported playstyles and number of players on the eShop listing:

60342263-601976976969950-8498536785997987840-n-2.jpg

I kind of forgot about this - there has to be local co-op for players to be able to build stages depending on co-op, right? Otherwise you wouldn't be able to finish them yourself to be able to upload them.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Here's a detail I haven't seen anywhere yet. In the Courses section of Course World, a few button can be seen the the top corner (obviously forward, back and back to start).

course_p01.jpg

What do you think they control? The page number for stages?

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like they only showed custom scrolling on sky and airship levels, and the wording in the direct kind of made it sound theme specific. Can anyone prove me wrong?

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm, I wonder if this means anything...

I was checking out the Japanese site and noticed that in the panel that cycles through groups of objects in each style something caught my eye when it got to 3D World
pU8T0cI.jpg

The POW block is red. Now, almost every POW block in 3D World was red. There was only 1 blue one in the final boss battle. However, the red ones were red because they did function like how red pow blocks are supposed to: unlike blue pow blocks, red ones also hit every block within range of the shockwave, which can create chain reactions with other red pow blocks and activate all blocks. Blue pow blocks can be picked up and thrown while red pow blocks cannot be picked up and float like other blocks.

So this begs the question. Are these POW blocks red but function like blue ones? Are both types of POW block in the game?

---------------

Edit: here are blue POWs in 3DW, thus 2 types of POW are confirmed!
7hJ6lRal.jpg

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The best thing about mystery mushroom costumes was the constant feed of guest levels with a surprise costume as an award. Would be sad for something similar not to return.

JackLinks

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
ridiculous generalization. some Sony games sell well, some Nintendo games sell well. some Nintendo games aren't successful and some Sony games are. i think it's pretty ridiculous to charge full price for a port of a game that had been recently available on its original system for less than half the price.

I think it's ridiculous to charge full price for games like the order and days gone, but there you go

As for Nintendo games they sell better and longer, on a smaller install base, with little in the way price cuts. They're simply worth a lot more to consumers than sony's first party games

Last edited:

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Since you have to finish a course to be able to upload it - pretty high by now. Otherwise you won't be able to build courses dependent on multiple players to advance.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't just NSMBU, it was in the SMB theme too (though there it still had the P despite being orange).
SMM-SMB-PSwitch.png

Must've changed their mind with the introduction the the P-Doors, deciding to make everything unified visually.
The SMB one was always a P-Switch. They just changed the color. NSMBU had a ? on it instead of a P for some reason. It was weird cuz NSMBU has P-Switches.